• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT6| Thank You for Love

AReed

#sungjaeprotectionsquad

tumblr_nq97cgfFC61t7rvrjo2_400.gif
tumblr_nq97cgfFC61t7rvrjo4_r1_400.gif

tumblr_nq97cgfFC61t7rvrjo1_r1_400.gif
tumblr_nq97cgfFC61t7rvrjo3_r1_400.gif

KEN x HANI '빈틈' Prologue

Could this be this year's Some?
Areed thinks so :p

luso

Not a novelty they recorded this around last July, the whole tag #catchGG was announced at that time. Everything was delayed after Jessica's departure.
Weird is the leak itself, to be now (well, the comeback is not far away).

wLEwrmG.gif

So awkwardly adorable.
#sungjaeprotectionsquad

tumblr_nq97cgfFC61t7rvrjo2_400.gif
tumblr_nq97cgfFC61t7rvrjo4_r1_400.gif

tumblr_nq97cgfFC61t7rvrjo1_r1_400.gif
tumblr_nq97cgfFC61t7rvrjo3_r1_400.gif

Enjoyed the first episode. Joy is pretty straightforward and confident despite her nervousness. But more than anything the episode proved that RV need their own show. I could watch Irene get surprised by telephones ringing all day.

Fancam
Bunch of others

AOA Heart Attack

What a mess. Is the sound mixing hurting my ears?

Only able to listen to it on shitty speakers for now, so can't say anything definite, but first impression is thaat it sounds boring as fuck.

luso

no u.

Great song. And goddamn at Choa. Hnnnnnnnnnnng

The mixing is a mess to me. I've shitty speakers but the song loudness(?)/range is the same throughout the song from start to the end. It hurts my hearing. Higher pitches sounds almost like auto tune.
Someone with better audio can give an input?

And yeah, hot as hell.

JohnCYQ

Well the situations in the drama are extreme and a CEO couldn't topple a top star like that, but certainly it symbolises some of the brutality of the industry. If you're no longer popular your label will push others, better, quickly. I mean even in SM with boy bands you get a feel that the young and hyped Shinee were suddenly not as cool as EXO anymore when the latter debuted. Even if Shinee retain the big fan base. And I mean take a soloist who had some big hits and then cooled off, Son Dambi.. she's now off Pledis after years of relatively silence and inactivity. Not that this is the norm, necessarily.. look at Lee Hyori who's "aged" but still comes back with hits and in total control of her career, above being controlled by the label.

Also we've seen plenty of examples of tv shows dropping a star because of a scandal that may be nothing, created by baseless rumors, just because having her on the show would create 'unfortunate' associations. It was nice that The Producers showcased this. Even IU had to stay away from some stuff for that pointless scandal of hers.
I guess my problem with the way it was presented in the drama made little sense considering the IRL industry. For one, Cindy isn't even considered a "has been" or anything, since
during her recently ended promotion for her latest album, we were shown that she took #1 spot at least twice, once with her title track and another with her ballad (the PD was surprised by this, since its usually the title tracks that will win, and her competition was K.Wills), so she is still hot stuff as far as her current popularity is concerned (and based on episode 2, she had her solo debut just 3~ years ago). On top of that she is only at age 23/24, which is means she still has a good 3-4 years at least before she starts to lose some appeal.

Yea, no doubt that some rumors/scandals may result in a TV show dropping a celeb, I was just more bothered by the "type" of scandal being used to justify what was shown to be universal hatred from the public and fans alike. Using real scandals for example, we have had bullying rumors (T-ara), drug use/drunk driving (certain Big Bang members), lying about not having any plastic surgery (various), sex scandals (various), attitude problems (various), dating scandals.

Out of them all, the one scandal that caused the most damage was T-ara's bullying scandal, which was actually made worst by the way the company handled everything, more so than the scandal itself that more or less destroyed the group. Fans for the most part remained supportive to the idols for the other scandals that their biases went through, some scandals the general public (ie non-netizens) didn't even care for much either. So to tell me that
making a lie about your parents being some prestigious folks living in America, when in truth they died in a car crash while she was at age 13/14
being a scandal that brings about as much hate as, say, Yoo Seung Jun leaving the country to avoid millitary service? The impact of such a scandal just felt way off even for kdrama standard, to the point where it felt like one of those family drama Makjang storyline. With IU's scandal, there was the "implied sex" angle of things coupled with her innocent image at the time that caused problems, whereas Cindy's scandal is pretty clear cut. Plus how
CEO Byun claimed to not have known about it being one of the biggest plothole ever, since Cindy debuted at age 14 as a minor, so parental consent would have been needed. This alone would have shifted the blame from Cindy since Byun's agency had the responsibility of making sure such legal issues are settled first.

Though to cut the writer some slack, it would have been too difficult to resolve other more serious scandals without the story being too "fairy tale" like when they want to clear her name.

Oh, and are there any actual examples of a top star (like BoA/Lee Hyori) being "replaced" with a new one? I mean, its one thing for the company to try and destroy an idol (example, SM-JYJ), but actually being able to "replace" them seems to be way too much of a stretch. That was another part of it that seems ridiculous, since certain groups or even just group members take years and a good amount of luck just to become a trend (like Hani with the fancam, Hyeri with her aegyo on the variety program), much less reach top star status. Talent and looks alone isn't enough, as evident with the amount of nugu groups with talented/pretty members like Spica. Heck, even SM with how they are able to keep all of their rookies out of nugu-dom (Red Velvet for example) seems hesitant to even attempt at creating the next BoA or Rain, since its so difficult to make it to the top of the soloist category. YG has Lee Hi, but its still too early to know how big she'll become, especially with how inactive she has been for someone who debuted just a few years back.

I'm probably nitpicking too much over a drama's plot point, eh?

llehuty

This is actually really good, what a banger. So Brave Bros still has it in him. And I'm so glad we got almost zero Jimin, I thought we were going to get more Jimin after the success of Unpretty Rapstar (I bet she has some place to do "her thing" in the album)

Also, I don't know where the mixing issues come from; the song sounds good. It's quite bass heavy though, so maybe it doesn't sound that good with bad equipment.

I'm probably nitpicking too much over a drama's plot point, eh?

I don't know what's your experience with k-dramas, but stupid plot points is almost a requirement. What you are talking about producer doesn't sound that bad though. It's fiction, it doesn't need a precedent. The closest we have been of some company burying an idol or forgetting about someone was YG with se7en. The guy just disapeared after the massage parlor scandal until his contract eventually expired.

Edit: Although, now that I think of it, the most recent case of replacement didn't involve and individual but a group: Red Velvet replacing f(x) after the Sulli thing. I hope that I'm wrong, but until proven otherwise, it seems like that's going to be the case.

Peru

I guess my problem with the way it was presented in the drama made little sense considering the IRL industry. For one, Cindy isn't even considered a "has been" or anything, since
during her recently ended promotion for her latest album, we were shown that she took #1 spot at least twice, once with her title track and another with her ballad (the PD was surprised by this, since its usually the title tracks that will win, and her competition was K.Wills), so she is still hot stuff as far as her current popularity is concerned (and based on episode 2, she had her solo debut just 3~ years ago). On top of that she is only at age 23/24, which is means she still has a good 3-4 years at least before she starts to lose some appeal.

I think the point was not that she's replaced because she's losing steam (possibly unlike Yuna), and Byun CEO was forced to rush her plan, as Cindy started thinking on her own.

Again the drama, for understandable reasons, showed an extreme example, but the real life equivalents are more like big stars being given gradually less push and sometimes dropped from labels.

ramyeon

New AOA sounds overproduced or something, it's just noisy and kind of difficult to listen to. They need to ditch Brave Brothers.

No No Eul

So disappointing. A massive waste of what started off as a really solid concept.

The song is a huge letdown. I'm usually a fan of Brave Bros' uptempo tunes but the sort of catchy melody that's present in the likes of How Dare You or Love Options is totally absent from Heart Attack. (It'll never happen but I'd love to see someone take the music from the 2nd teaser video and turn it into the banging EDM track that it deserved to be.)

As for the video, the whole 'AOA portrays incompetent [insert occupation here]' thing is getting super old.

At least they all look great.

llehuty

Huh, I finally got why AOA's song sounded familiar. It's like a remake of Abing Abing.
Abing Abing is superior though.

More groups should take inspiration from orange caramel. And speaking of orange caramel, isn't it weird that they aren't making a summer comeback? Hope they are waiting for a good timing in August so they can finally get a #1 while all the other girl groups are still recovering from July's comeback craze.

Poten
lol
(formerly 4ten) got rid of the 2 ugly members of the group and added 3 new girls for July comeback.

CIDd9zjWsAA2XzT.jpg:orig

Legit surprised at the negative reception of new AOA. Do people really want the iteration number 30 of Alone? I have to say that the album version, without the 2 minutes of intro and interludes for the MV, is more listeneable.

BEAST - 「THIS IS MY LIFE」(SHORT VER.)
Generic but effective EDM.

Beast keeps putting out good and great Japanese singles. Wasn't expecting so many good songs to come from this one song a month thing.

As for AOA, I'll admit that it sounds much better on my headset than it did on those shitty speakers. Not their best or anything, but more than decent. I can see why someone thinks that it's messy though.

Huh, I finally got why AOA's song sounded familiar. It's like a remake of Abing Abing.
Abing Abing is superior though.

Not hearing it.

ramyeon

Heart Attack is a grower.

I do appreciate that their music videos are some of the more interesting ones in Kpop for girl groups at the moment.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Sistar is grampa music.

AOA is fun if generic summer bop expected of a sporty theme. They are crazy fine as always. That helps.

The best thing was the ice hockey players on astroturf.
Best thing was bro with the banana @3m or the guy who fell on his knees
(in worship?)
when Yuna blew a kiss at him.

Pendulum

Best thing was bro with the banana @3m or the guy who fell on his knees
(in worship?)
when Yuna blew a kiss at him.

Well at least that MV suggested that the director googled "Lacrosse". Sistar's MV director had ice hockey described to him via a game of telephone.

Sad day for me in K-Pop when I get more interested in the sports portrayed in an MV rather than the song.

Top Bottom