• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT6| Thank You for Love

Pendulum

ijsX2mCduA7lB.jpg

19 more posts to go, Pendulum. There's still time! :p

You left the old party and went to the new one without me (gg middle of the night in Europe)

llehuty did what I had planned with waving pics/gifs. Cheers mate.
tumblr_mmkhblS5y51s1yt1go1_400.gif

----

Red Velvet at 141004 SM Town, speaking Japanese

Eldren

Loci you just had to get the last post, didn't you?

hi

im new and stan kween wendy

Hi! Welcome. Red Velvet are on their way to becoming SM's biggest group so it's good to get in on the ground floor.

Hello OT6! Brilliant OP, NNE. A lovely tribute and the layout is very clean. That music selection looks like a lot of work though, don't burn yourself out trying to curate that.

AOA comeback this month, fingers crossed for another band concept
#YearOfYoukyoung
#HalfAngelY

No No Eul

Nice job No No Eul. Looks really nice.

That new releases section looks like a lot of work, don't invest your life into that since people don't tend to visit it on a regular basis.

Hello OT6! Brilliant OP, NNE. A lovely tribute and the layout is very clean. That music selection looks like a lot of work though, don't burn yourself out trying to curate that.

Cheers guys. Yeah, I thought perhaps with a larger new releases section, it might give people a reason to revisit the OP more often (or at all). Could just be wishful thinking though. Anyway, I'll certainly keep it updated for now.

You linked to my blog? I am not worthy.
Seriously, I'm not. How did this happen?
But thanks! Good call using a Sojin photo. I approve.

You're very welcome. ;)

Genie over Gee..??

Hmmm, I went back and forth on Gee and Genie. Ultimately, while I think that Gee is the more unique and interesting song, Genie seemed like an easier sell to someone that's new to K-pop, and that's what the list is there for after all. It was going to raise eyebrows though, whichever one I chose. I might as well have just tossed a coin for it. :p

You left the old party and went to the new one without me (gg middle of the night in Europe)

Urgh, so tired. Had to get up early to watch the Japanese GP too...

Peru

Hmmm, I went back and forth on Gee and Genie. Ultimately, while I think that Gee is the more unique and interesting song, Genie seemed like an easier sell to someone that's new to K-pop, and that's what the list is there for after all.

Not really - Gee is basically the reason this thread exists and why most people I know who now enjoys kpop started enjoying it. It is the ultimate introductory k-pop hit.

No No Eul

Not really - Gee is basically the reason this thread exists and why most people I know who now enjoys kpop started enjoying it. It is the ultimate introductory k-pop hit.

Oh absolutely, and I totally would have agreed with you were it not for that poll we did last year where there was an exact 50/50 split between Gee and Genie as 'the song that got me into K-pop'.

Also, I can't remember why exactly but there were a whole bunch of people in OT5 arguing vociferously in favour of Genie a month or two ago. Gee barely got a look-in. Where were you then, Preru? :p

whynotboth?

I figured it would be a good idea to cut the essentials playlist (which is 28 songs / 2 hours long) down to a shortlist of 12. Something that would be a bit more manageable for an actual newcomer. I didn't think it made much sense to include SNSD twice. The full playlist, including Gee, is of course still there underneath the shortlist. ;)

ramyeon

Me Mii

1392-5533-6388

Now when I judge your hipster bands and you judge my qt3.14s we can settle it in smash.
I'll have to make sure to perfect my Lucina game so that I won't lose any of those matches ;)

2766-8382-3106
I am, you have me already.

2020-0953-8827

Would probably be even laggier than when we played KoF13 though since it's adding wireless to the equation.
Let me know if you guys are down for a game of two. I am still pretty crap but I'm getting there lol.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I doubt it will be worse than full-second delay on top of 25% game speed. I was fighting a japanese dude the other night and it wasn't too bad. Also the inputs in smash are much simpler.

Let me know if you guys are down for a game of two. I am still pretty crap but I'm getting there lol.
in a bit

gotta snack a lil something

llehuty

Launching a prediction for OT6. At the end of this thread Minx and DSP's Somin are going to join BESTie in the "Saviors of k-pop" category.

hi

im new and stan kween wendy

You are a good person.

#teamGenie

I appreciate the impact Gee had, but I got into kpop with Genie. It's still the superior track.

JKTrix

Happiness!

I'll have to make sure to perfect my Lucina game so that I won't lose any of those matches ;)

I think I have y'all on my list already. I'm still AFK for another week, but if you catch me online while I'm on leave for the next few hours I can play a bit. Will probably be paying more attention to IRC than the thread

I actually agree with this but I also agree to have Genie instead mainly because it started a new trend in K-Pop and for SNSD.

To me at least, Gee is from the old days of modern K-Pop when everything was super bright and bubbly... you know like A-Pink. Whereas Genie is basically the prototype of sexy K-Pop that groups like Sistar and Girls' Day have managed to conquer... you know, the K-Pop that we have right now.

Either way, I think both songs are a great intro to Soshi and K-Pop.

Peru

Gee arguably launched the modern Hallyu era of k-pop together with Sorry Sorry and was much more distinctly k-pop at its time and also for years to come afterwards. Girl's Day started the sexy revival many years later.

luso

From time to time we have this discussion.
Peru is completely right. 2009 as a whole was a transition year,. Gee and Sorry Sorry were HUGE.
Gee alone drove many too check K-pop further after watching the MV. Genie was simply the truly ideal follow-up. Perfect for SNSD, and for Hallyu - I remember the expectation after the teaser. Never SM was so right.
But don't forget other things were also on going during 2009. 2NE1, 4Minute debuts also helped to move from cute idol girl groups to more genres variety. Brown Eyed Girls did the same. Kara had Mister but only with Lupin completed the transition.
(Don't forget that there were other previous groups with non cute concepts, just the sound was not so "modern" - Jewelry, The Grace, Baby Vox Rev).

Niks

I put Gee and Genie at the same level.

The thing with Genie was that, as luso said, it did everything right.
Concept, MV, song, outfits, dance.. were all on point. Its one of those songs that doesn't let go from start to finish.

This still remains as one of the best performances ever.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6flYTdMtOg

No No Eul

Gee arguably launched the modern Hallyu era of k-pop together with Sorry Sorry and was much more distinctly k-pop at its time and also for years to come afterwards.

Peru is completely right. 2009 as a whole was a transition year,. Gee and Sorry Sorry were HUGE.

So what you guys are saying is that I should add Sorry Sorry to the OP, right? :p
I've moved Gee to the shortlist.

Pendulum

2) SNSD, EXO, 9Muses & AoA will have less than 8 members.

Well, they've currently got 7.5 members, so...

Anyway, big call considering that AOA is just now riding a popularity wave that has given them good chart rankings and a presence in the consciousness of many Koreans. Considering that, I would think that the members would be more determined to stick around and see where it takes them. More shocking things have happened, and well done to you if it becomes true, but I'll take you on that bet. :)

Edit: Anyone going to bet against Rainbow having less members than current?

Gee alone drove many too check K-pop further after watching the MV. Genie was simply the truly ideal follow-up. Perfect for SNSD, and for Hallyu - I remember the expectation after the teaser. Never SM was so right.

Lol this is what I was trying to articulate earlier but a mild hangover and lack of coffee couldn't get those words into my keyboard haha.

Anyway, as long as Rainbow keeps Hnnngyoung and Jaekyung, I'll be perfectly fine.

Eldren

Gee was the first kpop song I heard and the one that got me into SNSD in the first place but I'm 100% #TeamGenie. The song itself, the concept, the styling, the choreography >>>>>> Gee. Gee's still good though.

iMNFqZeqpoJVH.gif

Mlatador

Banned
Well, I have a few questions.

>_>
<_<
>_>

What do you think, which one of the girls has the prettiest feet?
Also, is it far off to say all of them had plastic surgery?

Peru

There's also the fact that Genie is a relatively standard electro pop work of some doughy Norwegian songwriters while Gee is a genuine Korean product.

vanty

>_>
<_<
>_>

Most have have plastic surgery, some far more hardcore than others. But not all though.

ramyeon

Gee arguably launched the modern Hallyu era of k-pop together with Sorry Sorry and was much more distinctly k-pop at its time and also for years to come afterwards. Girl's Day started the sexy revival many years later.
I've said it before, but the Wonder Girls with Tell Me is what really launched the modern Hallyu era and the girl group revival (Although even then it's debatable that modern Hallyu was actually launched by popular dramas and KPop itself was originally secondary to that). Gee and Sorry Sorry definitely had a huge effect but they weren't the first.
I am.

4914-2905-5850

I added Dice and vanty also.
Will add you!

>_>
<_<
>_>

Plastic surgery talk already on page 2? That's gotta be a record.

Top Bottom