• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT6| Thank You for Love

Pendulum

tumblr_mgr8gh8TBa1r0xrqho1_500.gif

Pendulum

f(x) "4 Walls" album is out. Starting to give it a listen.

Maybe it's just because I'm waking up, but the start of "X" got me thinking of Prince's "Kiss".

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Glitter is the only track I dont use from 4 Walls. Maybe it will grow on me later but it sticks out like a sore thumb

llehuty

HOLY SHIT 4WALLS

SOTY on first listen. Like... DAMN f(x), how can they keep stepping up to the plate release after release? Need to listen to the song another 3 times and after I'm jumping to the album.

That MV is also the right amount of artsy and god tier visuals.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
End of the year me, will be struggling internally between 4 Walls and Reboot for album of the year. I'll have to settle it with an imaginary pillow fight between both groups.

Pendulum

CSQSGfDUkAEdEtN.png

CSQSGeSU8AAyKnR.png

Bye Sulli.

I'm finding it quite difficult to decide on my favorite 4 Walls tracks
though it's probably 4 Walls, Diamond, and Traveler (thanks for being decent on this one, Zico)
. This is not a problem.

roaSone

If you love electronic vibes then it's definitely AOTY. I liked it but I would only listen to it casually I think.

After a second/third listen of the title song, it steps ahead quite a bit above the rest. Might be one of the best song they ever released.

4walls is great. f(x) has many songs that are much better though, imo. A little bit worse than Electric Shock, a little bit better than Rum Pum Pum. Similar to View, but I think View is the better song. Gonna save the album for when I get home, but had to jump in on Cash Me Out. I think I prefer Larssons version, but I still like it more than 4walls.

Disclaimer: Only been able to listen to it with the shitty speakers at my work, so take my initial impression with a grain of salt (especially you ll).

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
4 Walls is a great track. I doubt the album will top The Red, but that is half my love of The Red and half my already-formed opinions of f(x). I already know what I like from them, and I already know what they try that I don't think they do very well. If they honed in on this EDM sound, not so much as to stop experimentation but to keep their experiments in this same realm, I'll love it. However, I have a feeling they'll get into some R&B and ballad stuff they don't do well.

They found themselves with Nu ABO, and found more of themselves with Electric Shock, but have kind of run all over the place to see what works. With some artists I can admire a grand variety over the years, but usually it's when it is one person directing themselves, not creative teams directing a group. I'm losing the consistent feeling that makes me appreciate the journey (even their label/time-mates Shinee have carried something much more consistent) and so I'd like if f(x) just does what they rock out of the park.

Mind you, what they rock out of the park is not simply EDM like this, and if they only did that, I could see it getting boring. Their punky CSS-ish stuff playing with fun samples and beats is neat, they just don't do too well going into standard genes other than EDM.

Pendulum

However, I have a feeling they'll get into some R&B and ballad stuff they don't do well.

There's one 'electro-ballad', "Glitter", which Bayonetta also pointed out was the weakest on the album. But that's it. The rest is f(x) on an EDM exploration.

Dice

Been listening and overall yes, THEY ARE DOING IT!

I'm placing it under The Red because it hasn't been a relentless 100% unmitigated pleasure as that was, but they are showing self-aware restraint yet not becoming a bore. X is one of the top 5 tracks of the year. I understand what Glitter is doing even though it isn't quite my thing, so I actually like it more than the song right after it, which is a bit too conventional/unambitious.

Other than that, my only real critique of the first half is Amber's rap on Diamond being more her standard level after she already upped her game on 4 Walls. But now I just got to a track with a Zico intro and that is SEVERELY disappointing after Diamond was such an assertively f(x)y track that demands you fall in line with their style rather than sacrifice anything of themselves.

I might be getting too meta in my interpretation there, but it is how Diamond felt and I liked that about it a lot and this Zico feature strikes like an attempt to immediately go back on what was done there. Taking the pause to vent this immediate reactive feeling may be the necessary step back and deep breath needed to judge the track fairly. Okay, going back in now.

Edit: Alright, Traveler didn't need Zico and didn't survive him taking a dump on it after pulling the rug out from under it. Sadness. But I'll leave out my meta-analysis from the final verdict on the song. Fortunately Papi was a big, wonderful surprise right after it, also containing Amber's best performance ever. The remaining tracks did well, being very f(x) although not holding as many surprises. I'll probably place the album under Married to the Music, but between this, that, and The Red, SM is out of their minds this year. What a dominant collection.

Dice

Glitter is a Disney song
Exactly! It pulls from styles usually seen in stage shows, and will appeal best to fans of that type. They have more than enough fans in those demographics to please with the song, and I feel they brought to it more flavor than it usually gets with their samples and beats. It isn't for me, but it is more for me than other things of the same type are for me, and it is wonderful for those for whom it is. That's a hard thing to do, so I admire it from an off angle.

Peru

In early 2013 Hyori named IU as the one to follow in her footsteps. Damn, what foresight. She was thinking deeper than style and sound and popularity. Now IU is what Hyori became: In complete control of every decision in her career, unlike any other k-popper her age, and crusing on top.

4 Walls is good. Trendiest k-pop single of the year?

Dice

Is Stellar disbanding? They're posting sad stuff on Instagram and talking about seeing fans in dreams and whatnot.

llehuty

Still listening to 4 walls. So damn good. And the video must be the best SM MV since... Mirotic? Too good.

*Starts listening to the album*

No No Eul

I have to confess I didn't really like Shinee's View. I like 4 Walls even less. The first 30 seconds make for an intriguing start but after that... it's just not my sort of thing at all.

Looking forward to hearing the rest of the album though.

Good to see Chewie continuing that fine tradition of the youngest member being significantly taller than the rest of the group. :p

llehuty

Lmao this random Lion King song in the f(x) album. So out of place, but somehow is track #2, wat?

Rest of the album is great on first listen.

llehuty

Today I learned from youtube that SHINee invented house beats. Who knew?

So mad at Zico ruinning the sequel to Jet and Airplane.

feist_

Banned
I've said before I would be okay if f(x) were to disband, so long as their next project was at least solid, if not great.

On one listen of 4 Walls*, I'll be okay if this album is their swam song.

So happy to have them back.

*"Papi" didn't work for me, more so than "Glitter," but that may have been due to coming off the high of "4 Walls" distracting me from hearing "Glitter" properly. No one asked for two Zico verses on "Traveler," and I didn't quite get the same feeling as the first listen through of "Reboot," however I don't care. Happy they're back. Also helps f(x) releases tend to go from good to better with further listens.

4 Walls, as told through IU hair flips:

"Papi" and/or "Glitter"
24192F4E5629A48F244FC0

Essentially, everything else.
275FD4495629A533061AE0

forgrim

I've said before I would be okay if f(x) were to disband, so long as their next project was at least solid, if not great.

On one listen of 4 Walls*, I'll be okay if this album is their swam song.

So happy to have them back.

*"Papi" didn't work for me, more so than "Glitter," but that may have been due to coming off the high of "4 Walls" distracting me from hearing "Glitter" properly. No one asked for two Zico verses on "Traveler," and I didn't quite get the same feeling as the first listen through of "Reboot," however I don't care. Happy they're back. Also helps f(x) releases tend to go from good to better with further listens.

4 Walls, as told through IU hair flips:

haha where's this gif from, she actually almost cursed in the first one lol

Pendulum

Found the credits for f(x)'s 4 Walls album. As thought, LDN Noise (who worked on Shinee's "View") did work on the single "4 Walls". As with Red Velvet's "Red", they worked on multiple songs on the album. SM is loving them right now, and rightfully so. And yes, confirmed Carly Rae Jepsen credit on "When I'm Alone" so it was the masturbation song.

Glitter and Deja Vu are a mess.

Glitter sounds like a reject track from Soshi's shit a few months ago. I can understand what they're going for Deja Vu but it just doesn't work imo.

Everything else is fncking great though.

Top Bottom