• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT6| Thank You for Love

Niks

Dokish thread backfiring on him?... who would've thought?...
..and they haven't even found his racist posts.

ryan-ts

We're all creeps now I guess... Thanks Dokish.

tumblr_m16vukjZah1rr9iy7o1_500.gif

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
It's going to be a shame if we lose this thread, but I suppose it can't be helped. I really liked the music too...

jokkir

It's going to be a shame if we lose this thread, but I suppose it can't be helped. I really liked the music too...

It probably won't happen. If anything, dokish maybe gets banned again but I don't see this thread being removed. I don't think one poster could cause the entire thread being deleted especially since it's not really that "wild" or anything.

Woolim's new girl group - lovelyz:
lovelyz_1414942190_af_org.jpg

Too edgy for my tastes
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Well that's a fucking stupid name. They must have used up the only good name they had when they named Infinite. Oh well, who cares? At least they'll provide us with good songs and choreographs!

From left to right on the picture : Miju, Baby Soul, Jin, Su Jeong, Jiae, Jisu, Yeong Jin, et Seung Ah.

Surely Korea must be running out of Seungahs by now.

Rainbow Seungah still the best Seungah

ll posted this song on irc. Here I've been thinking I'll Be There was Spicas best song. How fucking ignorant I've been. This song is just too good. Forgive me father for I have sinned. Scratch that. There can be no redemption in the face of such ignorance. Just smite me down. I do not deserve to draw another breath.

NO MORE
Uh-uh-oh
Uh-uh-uh oh
NO MORE
Uh-uh-oh
Uh-uh-uh oh
NO MORE
Uh-uh-oh
Uh-uh-uh oh
NO MORE
Uh-uh-oh
Uh-uh-uh oh

Goddamn.

Holy fnck.

I promised myself I wouldn't get in here or that other thread since the blind mob outrage was just raising my blood pressure... but holy mother of god.

I'm now wondering who's gonna play Soo-hyun in "I Saw the Dokish", maybe one of the detectives in that thread could play him if they look as good as Byung-hun.

Ym1r

BIRTH OF A BEAUTY TOO GOOD PLZ.

SO EXCITE I CANT WAIT TILL NEXT EPISODES.

I shouldn't have started this thing. I should have waited till it finished airing before starting it.

omgggg waiting is going to kill meeeeeee. This drama beats the living hell out of blade man and she's so lovable.

vanty

Hopefully today is the day he receives his long-deserved perma ban. Surviving this long must mean he has some dodgy pictures of EviLore or something.

Pendulum

Got linked to this thread because of the dokish umm thing lol. Hope he's a rare case among KpopGAFers :O

The rarest. And today I learned he's the reason why Tenck (and possibly others?) don't visit the thread any more :(

He's referring to this
During the interview she refers to black people (can clearly hear her say "heuk") amidst making the "sassy" and "gangsta" imitations. Her imitations start here with a white girl.

Maybe Yuri can give her some tips on how to ride out the international backlash.

No No Eul

That thread...

jaejoong-tired.gif

He was called out for it a bit, but what finally did it for me was this one poll and one of the categories was reserved for his creepy photos.

I have to say I feel somewhat guilty for seemingly tipping Tenck over the edge. The final question in that poll was most definitely intended as a joke made at dokish's expense. I would have hoped that was perfectly clear. I think it's safe to say nobody was condoning what he did.

roaSone

During the interview she refers to black people (can clearly hear her say "heuk") amidst making the "sassy" and "gangsta" imitations. Her imitations start here with a white girl.
Aaayy~ is this even considered as a racism act ? The amount of hate for the slight mistake is just ridiculous... I really hope that won't affect them too much.

Pendulum

Aaayy~ is this even considered as a racism act ? The amount of hate for the slight mistake is just ridiculous... I really hope that won't affect them too much.

"Racism" is a weighty word considering the gamut of what that entails, but she's still perpetuating particular stereotypes and they will offend some people. I don't see it having any effect on the group. Similar stereotypes have been made by SNSD's Yuri and BEASTs Gikwang (the guy blackfaced up and ate watermelon) amongst others, and likewise I don't see this gaining traction on Korean forums or news sites for it to make an impact.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Yeah it's stereotype shit, but I don't know any context. Is she doing impersonations she just came up with? Is she doing common media portrayals? Was she specifically put up to it by that fan since she grew up in the west ("hey Wendy, do some western-y stuff")? She seemed a bit embarrassed, so did she try to put disclaimers on there? My Korean isn't good enough to figure all the context of what is being said around this, so I can't just put her on blast like a lot of people seem comfortable doing not knowing any Korean. I know Jia and Fei have a lot of international contacts so I wonder what they'd think and what their response is since they were talking around it too.

Even if it is just a straight display of ignorance or insensitivity, I don't understand the response of getting angry. I've never seen that enlighten anyone on stuff like this, yet wouldn't that be the end goal if it's something you really care about to see change in the world and people you would otherwise admire? Friendship and invitation to empathy by making yourself vulnerable seems to be the only thing that significantly changes a person to be more understanding and sensitive. All parts of the world have their different focuses of struggles, so the indignant outrage seems like a self-righteous show to me. I don't see ignorance in race issues any different from classism, sexism, intellectual haughtiness, religious bigotry, etc. Everyone has their shit to work on and getting mad just doesn't help the world output better things.

Peru

Well looking past this example (which isn't severe, but she's American, she should know better) at stuff like blackface on tv it's the fact that it's happened many times, at least one time with a real apology, and then just keeps on happening. At that point the producers should know and it's fair getting mad at their willful ignorance.

Pendulum

Well looking past this example (which isn't severe, but she's American, she should know better) at stuff like blackface on tv it's the fact that it's happened many times, at least one time with a real apology, and then just keeps on happening. At that point the producers should know and it's fair getting mad at their willful ignorance.

Yeah, without seeing the full translation for the Wendy interview, every other instance I've seen of stereotype impersonations or blackface has been because it's been written into the script by PDs or encouraged by a host (Brian Joo's impersonation and Super Junior with a blackfaced Boom are more examples). I don't know of any idol that is going to say "no" while the cameras are rolling regardless of their own thoughts.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I agree with this when it comes to productions. Negative feedback and boycotting seems to be the only effective correction of media content because all business knows is money.

However, when it comes to people personally, with negative feedback all you do is lock up their behavior without changing their understanding and heart about it. It'll still come out among those who don't have a problem with it, and the only effective good it does is make them live in a manner that they have to outwardly show respect toward those different from them, which may lead to a friendship that causes an actual understanding and change.

It works kind of like (for an extreme example) in American History X where his forced labor facilitated the conversations and bond that turned him around. It is good, but only a passive good rather than the effective good that only follows from it by chance. The good effect instituted is removal of annoyance of its broadcast in society and the reinforcement it bolsters, yet with it also comes a hindrance of paranoia and distrust because people know racism is being hidden away and not dealt with, which makes them distance themselves and keep from making those real bonds even though they may live next to each other. It's an emotional segregation of a functionally integrated society.

That's why I'd prefer we allow people to be openly fucked up as they were influenced to be growing up but then correct them in more loving ways. Unfortunately that takes more education, trust, and patience than most have. I think a lot can happen to fix that with a better education system, but the funding to do it properly would require reduced war spending, which is unfortunately high because of all the hate and distrust the racism and nationalism of the world generates.

TL;DR: Shit's complicated, but patient, indiscriminate, vulnerable friendship is the best gift you can give to the development of the ideal world.

As someone who is black and hates stereotypes we don't know the context and like what was said earlier she was gonna say no?.

I'll let this slide we have more pressing issues going on.

llehuty

I still don't get why making generalizations and talking about stereotypes is considered racist. It's something dumb and can be hurtful, and imo racism is another level. For example, I don't get mad with representations of spanish people as people that dance falmenco and bullfight, even though I'm totally against bullfighting.

Also, coming from someone that has lived in Canada, she obviously knows that she is just playing a stereotype.

Also, I co-sign the yesterday's revelation at irc of Spica's No More as the true GOAT.

And speaking of GOAT,

Somin's Baby Kara self camera episode.

I still don't get why making generalizations and talking about stereotypes is considered racist. It's something dumb and can be hurtful, and imo racism is another level. For example, I don't get mad with representations of spanish people as people that dance falmenco and bullfight, even though I'm totally against bullfighting.

Also, coming from someone that has lived in Canada, she obviously knows that she is just playing a stereotype.

Also, I co-sign the yesterday's revelation at irc of Spica's No More as the true GOAT.

And speaking of GOAT,

Somin's Baby Kara self camera episode.

I think people consider it in the same vein as racism because it comes from preconceived notions about said race.

If you're jumping to conclusions about an individual from said race without knowing them first?. Well that just says a lot about you.

But there is a fine line between ignorance and racism. I think that was just ignorant not inherently racist.

As someone who is black and hates stereotypes we don't know the context and like what was said earlier she was gonna say no?.

I'll let this slide we have more pressing issues going on.

Same here.

Lets get uppity about real racism and so on, not a random girl's immature school days joke that we have seen a million times before. Hell maybe its a North America thing.

And lol at the dokish blow up. That shit made my morning haha. I saw that thread listed at least 50 times a day and never realized he made it. I figured those posts would come back to bite him, and I admit I kinda wanted them too~ gaf is just.... so funny lol. I love when threads just go nuts like that .

Same here.

Lets get uppity about real racism and so on, not a random girl's immature school days joke that we have seen a million times before. Hell maybe its a North America thing.

And lol at the dokish blow up. That shit made my morning haha. I saw that thread listed at least 50 times a day and never realized he made it. I figured those posts would come back to bite him, and I admit I kinda wanted them too~ gaf is just.... so funny lol. I love when threads just go nuts like that .

Exactly this. This is not the first time I have seen that go on I am sure she should probably know better but meh.

And about Dokish eh I found his posts and pics kinda weird but I scrolled and kept it moving.

Selane

I can't say dokish didn't have it coming if he gets perma'd for this. That being said...people are saying 'Forget Wendy, there is real racism to worry about...'

Didn't dokish get banned twice in the past for gigantic racist tirades? I *will* be pretty pissed if they let him get away with that but decide to permaban him for this. They should have done it a long time ago, if at all

edit: also, I didn't read much of that thread. Did they find his 'I'm in love with the 14 year old daughter of the family I'm staying with' post? I'd say that was the dokiest of all dokish posts.

Yeah either way, while it was stupid to do given her "status?" and where shes from I guess (first time hearing about her) as long as stuff like that is not malicious, which it isn't, no reason to give it unintended attention. She will look like a dope for it just like the kids who did it in school.

and I only saw the
creepy imo
hair sniffing posts here not his other stuff so it was all news to me. But hey everyone has got their thing I guess was my response.

llehuty

I can't say dokish didn't have it coming if he gets perma'd for this. That being said...people are saying 'Forget Wendy, there is real racism to worry about...'

Didn't dokish get banned twice in the past for gigantic racist tirades? I *will* be pretty pissed if they let him get away with that but decide to permaban him for this. They should have done it a long time ago, if at all

edit: also, I didn't read much of that thread. Did they find his 'I'm in love with the 14 year old daughter of the family I'm staying with' post? I'd say that was the dokiest of all dokish posts.

Yeah, they found that post. They are missing the racist posts and the necrophilia post. Completely agree with the bolded also. He did get banned and maybe learned a bit from it because I haven't seen any more racist remarks since then, though.

Wait what?
tumblr_lyywj340Wf1qbktr1o1_500.gif

Mendrox

Hi K-GAF, thanks to Dokish I visit this thread for the first time. I see that there are many cute girls in here ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Any good K-Drama recommendation?

llehuty

Hi K-GAF, thanks to Dokish I visit this thread for the first time. I see that there are many cute girls in here ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

There is a general consensus in here that Reply 1997 is the best recent k-drama.

I haven't watched many, but there are people here that can give you very solid recommendations.

Ym1r

I'd recommend Korean movies because I think they do the entertainment business much more justice than dramas do.

For Movies:
A Moment to Remember, sad as hell, takes a half the movie to get going but the build up is worth it. My personal favorite.
The last line of the movie is the greatest ending ever.
The Classic, this one is sad too but it's not as heavy.
A Tale of Two Sisters, big mind fuck horror movie
Fighter in the Wind, tale about Kyokushin karate and its Korean founder Choi Yeong-eui.
My Sassy Girl, great movie, was what got a lot of people hooked into Korean stuff.
200 pound beauty, another great movie that got a lot of people hooked into Korean stuff.

For Dramas:
Reply 1997 is one of the best dramas hands down.
Reply 1994, not as great as Reply 1997, but its got its moments.
Innocent Man, this one is make or break for people. I personally liked it.
Miss Korea, thought this drama did well overall. Only qualm was that it was set in the late 90s and the fashion then was not very pretty.
Master's Sun, this drama is alright, its got a horror twist to it but that disappears over time.
It's Okay, That's Love, got a lot of praise from people but I stopped watching this at episode 10, I found it kinda boring.
Misaeng, I haven't watched this one yet, I think it's currently airing too, but I heard a lot of praise for this one too.
Birth of a Beauty, this one is also currently airing, it's got 2 episodes so far, and I watched them both. I'm super excited for this drama!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom