• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT6| Thank You for Love

Rainy

Banned
Despite being so involved with kpop for most of the last 5-6 years I've fallen off this year. Was there any specific reason SBS had their Gayo much earlier this year? It's usually the 29th-31st iirc.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
the lovely irene
ibc147HmlE6GCj.jpg

Pendulum

Despite being so involved with kpop for most of the last 5-6 years I've fallen off this year. Was there any specific reason SBS had their Gayo much earlier this year? It's usually the 29th-31st iirc.

I believe it's because they made the Gayo a part of a 12-day festival (with drama awards and what not). It's all being held at the same venue, so it was probably a scheduling thing. Either that, or they wanted to sweep their shoddy work under the carpet of Christmas.

UI singing some Christmas song. She posted it on twitter even. Was she a regular twitter user before the scandal thing or was the very occasional use for mostly promotional reasons like she does now how things always were?

She was a regular user, posting in little bursts every couple of days.

No No Eul

So Hello Venus is doing a comeback soon.
Naturally shifting to waveya concept after the good result their Wiggle Wiggle dance videos had. (One of them over 2 million views already)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B5lxW9dCYAA3KgG.jpg:orig

It's a shame they're moving further and further away from the old sugar and spice concept but given the circumstances, I guess I can't really blame them?

Reminds me of this.

Watching that again for the first time in quite a while, I can't help but feel that Wa$$up is kinda sorta the spiritual successor to early AS.
I'm so sorry.

EXID finally number 1 on Melon.

That's awesome. Junghwa responds:

ibwH9xA98dsyiZ.jpg

Eldren

Merry Christmas, happy holidays, seasons greetings, etc to everyone in kpopgaf. I see vanty already posted Seohyun's pic, good work.

Happy Birthday Jaekyung, mi amor <3

I was reading an article about Jaekyung the other day, a recap of all the ridiculous thing she's done. The fact that she's into silverworking still blows my mind. And she made her own perfume too, why can't all idols be that talented?

Just to finish up Dice's post from earlier:

Will there be an official KPopGAF Top 10 Of 2014, or are we just gonna post our faves here? If so, here are 10 singles I liked this year in no particular order:
Miniskirt - AOA
Catallena - Orange Caramel
Something - Girl's Day
Spellbound - TVXQ
I'm In Love - Secret
Error - VIXX
Mamma Mia - KARA
One More - Fiestar
B.B.B. - Dal Shabet
Red Light - f(x)

That was actually pretty difficult.

Kuno

Sounds like another Brave Bros. track to me. Hopefully it isn't one from his recycle bin like their last single.

EXID finally number 1 on Melon.

Are they gonna win on any of the music shows or what?

Speaking of Up & Down, anyone remember 4L (Four Ladies)?

Well... umm...

I see T-ara's video editor is getting some side work.

J2d

Got to share my noob impression of kpop, I might had picked up on groups being formed by companies but I just happened to browse kara's wiki and noticed that two members had quit and I was like "wtf they looked so happy in that video" ( I'm not used to this form of expressions, love being naive though), first thought was that they must have been fired but apparently they choose not to renew their contracts?! I swear I felt like that wrestling gif "it's still real to me". Is there any similar kind of big kpop groups that are not record company products and mainly driven by their own creative output?

Pendulum

Got to share my noob impression of kpop, I might had picked up on groups being formed by companies but I just happened to browse kara's wiki and noticed that two members had quit and I was like "wtf they looked so happy in that video" ( I'm not used to this form of expressions, love being naive though), first thought was that they must have been fired but apparently they choose not to renew their contracts?! I swear I felt like that wrestling gif "it's still real to me". Is there any similar kind of big kpop groups that are not record company products and mainly driven by their own creative output?

Straight up K-Pop? It's mostly much producer-hit driven and company-lead. There are some instances where artists get to contribute to (or oversee some of) the process (e.g. some artists at YG Entertainment, LE from EXID, some SM and JYP artists to a lesser extent mainly working on lyrics and a tiny bit of music, IU since I guess she's classified as K-Pop...) but they are the exception to the norm. K-Indie and K-Hop, some of which gets talked about here and some of which blurs into K-Pop, is more creatively driven by the artists.

Speaking of which, Humming Bird Stereo look to have put out some new tracks this week.

----

Holy shit. Amber wearing heels and a blouse.

ramyeon

Straight up K-Pop? It's mostly much producer-hit driven and company-lead. There are some instances where artists get to contribute to (or oversee some of) the process (e.g. some artists at YG Entertainment, LE from EXID, some SM and JYP artists to a lesser extent mainly working on lyrics and a tiny bit of music, IU since I guess she's classified as K-Pop...) but they are the exception to the norm. K-indie, some of which gets talked about here, is more creatively driven by the artists.
IU isn't an indie artist, she's definitely a pop artist. She's just not an idol.

Edit: That stealth edit though lol.

llehuty

I don't think I follow your train of thought. An artist independently of their involvement with the music can decide if the conditions for renewing a contract are fair or not. Taking the example of Kara, I'm pretty sure the 5 of them had the same creative control in their music, and still 3 decided to stay and 2 decided to leave.

Now, answering to your question, I think the only big k-pop group that is very involved in the creative aspect of their music is Brown Eyed Girls.

JustinBB7

I've been listening to all Hyuna songs past few days, or past weeks.. I knew a few songs but I found out she only has like 3 mini albums and 1 single out, so I listened to all of it and.. damn. They're all good songs. Love all of them besides maybe 1 or 2.

Looked up some of the lyrics, and I just laughed at everything. Songs about knocking somebody out if they talk shit, song about killing somebody on her black list, ice cream and red are basically songs about herself and how hot she is. It's so funny. Was really surprised at the lyrics though, saying fuck and talking about guns and killing people. How did this ever get released in Korea.

And on top of that I checked her age, thinking she would be 25 or older area. She's fucking 22! Her first solo single was in 2010 so she was 18 and already doing sexy shit to the max. Really surprised by this. Not that I mind, great fun and catchy songs.

NyoRx

Went to MCountdown X-mas special today... and was super disappointed. Red Velvet only did a pre-recording, and A Pink didn't even perform despite winning #1...

But at least I got to see Sunmi. Not all was lost.

Merry Christmas/Happy holidays!

Merry xmas everyone in kpop gaf.

Totally recommend watching this weeks Roommate, got that holiday spirit in droves! Laugh, cry, and all that jazz.

also was adorable when Yong Ji introduces herself as Jackson's best friend, probably a jab at him and the honest truth

Merry Christmas K-Pop GAF!!

Hope y'all enjoy and that there won't be any ridiculous scandals coming up these last 6 days of 2014.

Hope to see you all in the irc tomorrow for the KBS gayo. Should be good!

What time is KBS' gayo?

I might join y'all if it's early enough haha.

Pendulum

Merry Christmas everyone.

Away for the Gayo tomorrow. I'll be hitting you up for a synopsis of what's worthwhile watching later on.

Edit:
T-ara 141225 concert
:)
:'(

Edit: So I learned that T-ara was meant to perform a Sugar Free/Little Apple remix live set with DJ Ferry at the SBS Gayo the other day but it was cancelled by SBS. Fuckers.

Top Bottom