• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days |OT|

Hixx

Toying with the idea of buying this on PC instead of renting on 360... not really interested in the multiplayer so renting would be the sensible option but it unlocks on Steam in the UK in 5 hours instead of waiting till friday... hmm.

Pretty good game it's up there with Uncharted and Gears of War for best third person shooters this gen.

The game is all shooter no puzzles no adventuring and I love it. Kinda of buggy on some cutscenes though.

I thought there would be more at the end but it was a nice way to end it. Anybody want's to
co-op add me Drunken triggaz

Shurs

So I've only played the single-player campaign, but I thought I'd share my impressions.

I enjoyed the combat.
If you don't enjoy the combat in the demo, you won't enjoy the campaign. This is a shooter, there are no puzzles for you to solve, there are no hidden items to warrant exploration, there is only shooting, ducking into cover, and running. This is not a bad thing, in my opinion. The game knows what it is and doesn't try to do too much.

I loved the look of the game.
I thought the "digicam" look of the game was pulled off really well. It's certainly one of the most interesting games I've played from a visual standpoint.

The campaign is short.
My playthrough took a little over three hours from beginning to end. I played through it in one sitting. To be fair, the game's conclusion doesn't feel abrupt. It feels very cinematic in its presentation and its length. You are pushing ahead towards clearly defined goals the whole game, always on the move with little time to breathe.

I think I'll leave it at that for now.

Jb

Wow, three fucking hours?
And I thought the length of MW2's campaign (4:30 on my 1st playthrough) was a joke. No way I'm getting this game full price now :lol

Shurs said:
Wait another half hour.

Cool!

Shurs said:
So I've only played the single-player campaign, but I thought I'd share my impressions.

I enjoyed the combat.
If you don't enjoy the combat in the demo, you won't enjoy the campaign. This is a shooter, there are no puzzles for you to solve, there are no hidden items to warrant exploration, there is only shooting, ducking into cover, and running. This is not a bad thing, in my opinion. The game knows what it is and doesn't try to do too much.

I loved the look of the game.
I thought the "digicam" look of the game was pulled off really well. It's certainly one of the most interesting games I've played from a visual standpoint.

The campaign is short.
My playthrough took a little over three hours from beginning to end. I played through it in one sitting. To be fair, the game's conclusion doesn't feel abrupt. It feels very cinematic in its presentation and its length. You are pushing ahead towards clearly defined goals the whole game, always on the move with little time to breathe.

I think I'll leave it at that for now.

Sounds awesome, but only 3 hours? Still I can't wait! No biggie as I plan to play through it multiple times do to co op!

Shurs

derFeef said:
Just over THREE HOURS!?

To be fair, I was playing on the lowest difficulty setting. I did this because I wanted a smooth experience, devoid of bullet-sponge enemies. I'm sure that harder difficulty levels will yield more drawn out gun battles, extending the playtime of the game.

I also think that the real meat of the game is the multiplayer.

derFeef

V_Ben said:
4 hours for the campaign is kinda short. Can't say that I didn't expect the score.
I am not going to play any multiplayer in this. It was the singleplayer I enjoyed in the first game and now there is even less of the stuff I enjoyed? That´s quite a bummer.

Xater

Well looks like I wasn't far off with my impressions after the demo after all. i expect more reviews to fall in that range of scores.

So can IO finally get back to making good games like Hitman?

Shurs

PoweredBySoy said:
I find this trend disturbing. Am I the only gamer left who's interesting in a solid single-player campaign?

I think it's nice that we have games that focus on single-player and games that focus on multiplayer.

When I finished the campaign in Kane & Lynch 2, my initial thought was that it felt like a Call of Duty campaign. There is no real depth to the plot or the story, it's non-stop action and it's very short.

I'm intrigued by the different types of mutliplayer, and will probably get more playtime out of theses modes than I would have out of a ten hour campaign.

Also, because the game is strictly a shooter, I think the short campaign ensures that it doesn't overstay its welcome.

They said the first one sucks... and now they say the second one sucks. Wow... thats a surprise. I will play it anyway. CODMW2 was all about killing people and every damn reviewer said : this game is soooo awesooommeeee yeah!!!!!
Kane and lynch 1 was all about killing people and every reviewer said : this is so awful
Kane and lynch 2 is all about killing people and every reviewer says : this is the worst shit i've ever played

Kittonwy

Banned
derFeef said:
Eurogamer review. Ouch.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-08-17-kane-and-lynch-2-dog-days-review

edit: Ok I stopped reading at the first few paragraphs. If you do not like the visual style it´s hard to judge the rest of the game imho.

I'm not surprised by the review since I thought the controls and camera were janky as hell, just didn't make very good gameplay but I am surprised by how low the score is, 4/10, ouch.
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
dark_inferno said:
They said the first one sucks... and now they say the second one sucks. Wow... thats a surprise. I will play it anyway. CODMW2 was all about killing people and every damn reviewer said : this game is soooo awesooommeeee yeah!!!!!
Kane and lynch 1 was all about killing people and every reviewer said : this is so awful
Kane and lynch 2 is all about killing people and every reviewer says : this is the worst shit i've ever played

The gameplay controls were pretty awful in the first game.

heringer said:
What was Eurogamer's score? Can''t see the review in my work.
4/10

Gonna wait till this hits the bargain bin. 3-4 effin hours is way too short and I actually prefer short games.

Shurs said:
I think it's nice that we have games that focus on single-player and games that focus on multiplayer.

I'd agree that would be nice too - except I don't think that's what we're seeing. More and more frequently, from predominately (one would think) single-player titles, we're getting short, underdeveloped campaigns and tacked on multiplayer.

I love me some TF2, Counter-strike, etc... But I also love engaging single-player games as well. It would just be nice if I knew what I was getting into, instead of these titles that try to have the best of both worlds - trying to achieve the success of Halo without the budget of Halo, I suppose.

Aaron

Shurs said:
I'm intrigued by the different types of mutliplayer, and will probably get more playtime out of theses modes than I would have out of a ten hour campaign.
I doubt it. You have about a week before its online multiplayer turns into a wasteland, and most people go back to the mainstays. It has no chance of building a solid player base, no matter what the quality of the game is. The competition is just too strong.

Xater

derFeef said:
Seriously? I start to think that giving this game a very low score is an industry joke or something.

I am more amused that even after the demo you think the game is worth a good score.

Ugh...3-4 hours? I was going to buy this on my lunch break, but I I never play multiplayer modes and $60 + tax is fairly ridiculous for such little content.

derFeef

Xater said:
I am more amused that even after the demo you think the game is worth a good score.
I fully enjoyed it - played through it 3 times on the 360 (the longer one) and 2 times on pc.

Shurs

Aaron said:
I doubt it. You have about a week before its online multiplayer turns into a wasteland, and most people go back to the mainstays. It has no chance of building a solid player base, no matter what the quality of the game is. The competition is just too strong.

I could still put more than ten hours into the multiplayer this week. That's all I'm saying.

What the crap, they make a game called Kane & Lynch 2 and then it turns out that these two dudes are NOT the focus of the game?

WaltJay

derFeef said:
If you read Jeff´s review it sounds really good. I am still hyped. Liked first, will like this one.

I'm in that boat (I liked the first one), but holy shit, $60 for a 3 hour game? Granted it has MP, but by the time this game hits a reasonable price, it'll be a ghost town online.

jakonovski said:
What's wrong with Mafia 2? Just a link please, I don't want to derail this thread.

He's probably referring to the PC/PS3/360 graphical comparison thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=403682

Aaron

Shurs said:
I could still put more than ten hours into the multiplayer this week. That's all I'm saying.
I'm just saying enjoy it while you can. I've played too many 360 games with cool multiplayer that were completely dead after a few weeks. There were some modes and options I never got to try because no one ever played them.

PowderedToast

i haven't played this yet but these reviews make me very interested, i have a feeling that there's large levels of hypocrisy at work here, but we'll see. i don't have very high opinions of 90% of gaming review sites.

It pretty sad that certain reviewers are giving such low scores. Some of them even fail to acknowledge the improvements form the first game like the controls. I know there are games out there that control much better than this game like Gears of War and Uncharted, but it's still much better than the first and it should get credit for that. I understand that some people might not like the graphical style, but come on- you have to give them credit for making it very unique. As far as the length, I agree it should have been longer, but I expect the next COD to be about the same length, and it will probably get 9/10. I do think Giant Bomb's review was fair.

*opens notepad*
*adds 'bullet sponge' to the list of overused, under-defined gaming cliches*
I got the first one and liked it but 2 hasn't really done anything to interest me.

Top Bottom