• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West & Jay-Z present: Watch The Throne

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
MidnightCowboy said:
Where does Kanye rank all time? His worst (808s) isn't even that bad.
From GAF-Hop thread:
Bishman said:
tumblr_lpz6981pUg1qag8gfo1_500.jpg

This is hard to dispute. Not many artists especially in hip hop even have 6 albums to their names.
It is indeed pretty hard to argue. Kanye has been a living legend for a while, you can't deny his influence and relative consistency. Beyond stannery, he will be remembered alongside Nas and Pac and the greats, which is impressive considering he's no where up to par lyrically with the rest.

cacophony said:
Why do so many people hate on rappers rapping/bragging about money? I find it inspiring and encouraging more so than annoying.
If your rhymes are dope enough, I'll listen to anything you say. But much of the hate is when the rhymes are dry and some of the exact same rhymes you've heard a trillion before.

Also, it's not always done in an inspiring or encouraging way to people's ears really.

Obligatory Illest Motherfucker Alive quote because this shit is so fucking sublime:

Too close, you comatose so dope you overdose
Get back, you overclose
Oh no, the hood was strugglin'
But then I blessed them with that Polo
Niggas was making music and then my first solo...
Collo Drolo tho, sponsored by Manolo
She got Zeppi Notos ready for some photos
Yeah and I'm cold bitch, please try to keep the door closed
Lanvin thousand dollar tee with no logos
Let me show you what I see when my eyes closed

Kanye's got an entertaining delivery and punchlines, I'll take that over someone who can recite these incredibly intellectual viewpoints but bore me to death doing it. Some of my favorite Kanye verses are when he says dumb funny shit that has no significant meaning. I remember one line from a song on his mixtape where he's talking about a chick's fat friend and then does a Biggie impersonation "DUH HAH DUH HAH I never though Kanye woudl take it that far" had me rolling.

Chris R

Listened to the album on Spotify. Anyone else think the samples on New Day are too loud? Or maybe the levels in Spotify are screwed up :|

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Suburban_Nooblet said:
Alright I guess I will pick this up on itunes now.

The pac/Nas comparison got me interested.

By the way.... please don't compare anyone to pac every again.
Pac is my personal GOAT. I don't think anyone is on his level, but I stand by it that Ye will be remembered as a legend amongst those who are already considered legends because of his influence, not his ability to MC alone. Ye has left his mark in production, consistency of hits and persona.

@rhfb I'm not on spotify but it is indeed louder than on a typical track. Ye's been cranking up the beat on a lot of tracks. It really works for New Day, just like it did for Devil in a New Dress.

Tokubetsu

enzo_gt said:
From GAF-Hop thread:

It is indeed pretty hard to argue. Kanye has been a living legend for a while, you can't deny his influence and relative consistency. Beyond stannery, he will be remembered alongside Nas and Pac and the greats, which is impressive considering he's no where up to par lyrically with the rest.

If your rhymes are dope enough, I'll listen to anything you say. But much of the hate is when the rhymes are dry and some of the exact same rhymes you've heard a trillion before.

Also, it's not always done in an inspiring or encouraging way to people's ears really.

Obligatory Illest Motherfucker Alive quote because this shit is so fucking sublime:

It's pretty much all because he's a trend setter. You can tell he's a big music fan first and foremost (you kinda have to be, to be an effective/good producer). Pretty much everytime a new Ye album drops, it changes the soundscape.

Ashhong

toasty_T said:
808s would have been much better if someone who could sing made it.

I disagree.

Ninja Scooter said:
I remember one line from a song on his mixtape where he's talking about a chick's fat friend and then does a Biggie impersonation "DUH HAH DUH HAH I never though Kanye woudl take it that far" had me rolling.

What song is that from? :lol

Ninja Scooter said:
I remember one line from a song on his mixtape where he's talking about a chick's fat friend and then does a Biggie impersonation "DUH HAH DUH HAH I never though Kanye woudl take it that far" had me rolling.

I spent the past 30 minutes trying to find the line in question but have come up fruitless in my efforts.

Edit: Not that I don't believe you. I know I've heard something like that too. Just couldn't pinpoint the song.

ProtoCents said:
I spent the past 30 minutes trying to find the line in question but have come up fruitless in my efforts.

Edit: Not that I don't believe you. I know I've heard something like that too. Just couldn't pinpoint the song.
oops

theBishop

Banned
I haven't been able to get into a Kanye album since Late Registration, but this is damn good.

No Church in the Wild is probably the best song he's ever done. Even his rhymes are passable.

SHIT....when we were doing the little watch the throne "pre-listening" party....we were playing random cuts, and one dude played this super dope track that was "west coastish" or whatever....fuck, i cant remember who it was but everyone was like "LINK US!" and then he finally did. If you are viewing this thread...re fucking link me.

the beat was INSANELY good

Oozer3993

Final numbers are in: the album sold 436k in it's first week, easily enough for 1st.

Also, some new tour dates were added:

10-28 – Atlanta, GA – Phillips Arena
11-14 – Ft. Lauderdale, FL – BankAtlantic Center
11-15 – Miami, FL – American Airlines Arena
11-19 – Atlantic City, NJ – Boardwalk Hall
11-22 – Montreal, QC – Bell Centre
11-24 – Toronto, ON – Air Canada Centre
11-27 – Pittsburgh, PA – Consol Energy Center
11-29 – Kansas City, MO – Sprint Center
12-03 – New Orleans, LA – New Orleans Arena
12-16 – Tacoma, WA – Tacoma Dome
12-17 – Vancouver, BC – Rogers Arena

SD-Ness

Tokubetsu said:
It's pretty much all because he's a trend setter. You can tell he's a big music fan first and foremost (you kinda have to be, to be an effective/good producer). Pretty much everytime a new Ye album drops, it changes the soundscape.
And a quality trendsetter. He straddles the line between different genres/styles really well. Undeniably it's pop but it doesn't feel like a lot of the crap he's competing with. Same for Jay but I find Kanye's a bit more appealing personally. He's just really fun to listen to, haha. He's an ass and drama queen but he's hilarious. While Jay might be a better MC overall.

ProtoCents said:

I cpuldnt remember it either. I'm gonna have to bust out my old mixtape CDs when i get home from work.

Ashhong

Oozer3993 said:
Awww yeah. It's gonna be awesome. Kanye always delivers at the VMAs.

Has he performed at like the last 3-4 VMAs? Power, Love Lockdown, Stronger? Can't remember if thats right or not.

Oozer3993

Ashhong said:
Has he performed at like the last 3-4 VMAs? Power, Love Lockdown, Stronger? Can't remember if thats right or not.

He's performed at 3 of the last 4.

2010: Runaway (with Pusha-T)
2008: Love Lockdown
2007: Good Life (with T-Pain)*
2005: Gold Digger (with Jamie Foxx)
2004: Jesus Walks/All Falls Down/Through the Wire (with Syleena Johnson, John Legend, & Chaka Khan)

* That was the year the VMAs were in Vegas and MTV decided to put some performers in hotel suites for their performances. Kanye was in a suite and also performed Stronger and I Wonder, but those were not seen during the telecast. They were only put online. Originally, Kanye was supposed to open the show with Stronger and a medley of other songs with Lil Wayne, Common, and T-Pain. MTV screwed him over by ditching that idea at the last minute when they found out Britney Spears was trying to make a comeback and had her perform instead. She completely bombed and Kanye gave an epic rant backstage that was caught on camera.

maruchan

808 is an underrated classic. people need to listen to it again.. if you liked mbdf, you can see the growth and influences of 808

I would go as far to say that kanye has 2 trilogies of albums..
College dropout, registration, graduation...

808, mbdtf, throne? i dont know il wait for the next kanye solo to see if it fits with both of these...

Oozer3993 said:
He's performed at 3 of the last 4.

2010: Runaway (with Pusha-T)
2008: Love Lockdown
2007: Good Life (with T-Pain)*
2005: Gold Digger (with Jamie Foxx)
2004: Jesus Walks/All Falls Down/Through the Wire (with Syleena Johnson, John Legend, & Chaka Khan)

* That was the year the VMAs were in Vegas and MTV decided to put some performers in hotel suites for their performances. Kanye was in a suite and also performed Stronger and I Wonder, but those were not seen during the telecast. They were only put online. Originally, Kanye was supposed to open the show with Stronger and a medley of other songs with Lil Wayne, Common, and T-Pain. MTV screwed him over by ditching that idea at the last minute when they found out Britney Spears was trying to make a comeback and had her perform instead. She completely bombed and Kanye gave an epic rant backstage that was caught on camera.
that 2004 performance must have been amazing.

njean777

Both Jay and Kanye will be remembered forever. They are right below Biggie and Pac. Me myself I personally like Kanye and Jay more then Pac (puts shield up) but I respect Pac for what he did for the hip hop genre.

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
anyone have the link to soulja boys 2007 vma performance? kanye was in there etoo

Recon

Banned
njean777 said:
Both Jay and Kanye will be remembered forever. They are right below Biggie and Pac. Me myself I personally like Kanye and Jay more then Pac (puts shield up) but I respect Pac for what he did for the hip hop genre.

Thats...odd...

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
ReconYoda said:
Kanye and Jay above Pac? Yeah thats odd.

It's not, I know plenty of people that would argue Pac and Biggie laid the groundwork, but Ye elevated it. So it's not that odd...plus Kanye is also still "new and hot" and Pac and Biggie are "classics" like Zeppelin or Hendrix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom