• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West & Jay-Z present: Watch The Throne

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominoKid

Bishman said:
It will be interesting to see if they start the trend to boom-bap music.

those are some rather interesting quotes because i wouldnt really call a lot of stuff on this album boom bap. maybe 4 or 5 songs

i dont think rappers should go all the way back though. i like the way Kanye does it though. combining boom bap elements with more progressive elements.

kamspy

EschatonDX said:
if this album is boom bap i'm george jefferson

Definitions will vary.

But the majority of the tracks "go hard".

DominoKid said:
i dont think rappers should go all the way back though. i like the way Kanye does it though. combining boom bap elements with more progressive elements.

agree

Tom Penny

DominoKid said:
those are some rather interesting quotes because i wouldnt really call a lot of stuff on this album boom bap. maybe 4 or 5 songs

Generally you will hit on a boom bap type of beat because many of them revolve around drums. To me boom bap beats main focus is on basically a hard ass drum and then a snare. That's the main focus of the instrumental without a trillion other sounds and samples going behind it drowning it out. I don't really see many similarities.

Esch

Banned
I thought it was all about the drum n' snare type production. And this album sounds like some 21st century pradastep shit.

kamspy

EschatonDX said:
I thought it was all about the drum n' snare type production. And this album sounds like some 21st century pradastep shit.

Well...

N' In Paris
Otis
Gotta Have It
That's My Bitch
Welcome to the Jungle
Murder to Excellence
Illest MoFo
HAM
Primetime
The Joy

Way harder than I expected it to be.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
MThanded said:
you have lost your got damn mind

Again DJs have been doing this for years and I've always liked when they do it. It's only natural for me to like it when a guy like Swizz does it because he does it so well.

I don't like his actual rapping though.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It's amazing how much Illest Motherfucker Alive sounds like what HAM was supposed to be. God damn, that track + Ye's verse especially goes hard as fuck. I can't stop listening to it. Also the Rap Genius page makes Ye's verse seem even more impressive.

1985... white Lamborghini Countach... 2 of 'em

I NEED A SLOW MOTION VIDEO RIGHT NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

I am cooking to this shit right now.

This is me right now:
icAIpjEoj.gif

DominoKid

Yeah i think Ye really learned a lot from HAM and its reception about how to Kanye-ize a southern beat. Jay's verse fucking kills me though. That's his best verse in years.

Kaizer

Banned
So did anyone else get their physical copies yet? Mine came in today, really love the look of the cover, especially once I ripped off the annoying stickers for piracy warnings and parental advisory.

Oozer3993

Kaizer said:
So did anyone else get their physical copies yet? Mine came in today, really love the look of the cover, especially once I ripped off the annoying stickers for piracy warnings and parental advisory.

I preordered on July 4th and got mine today. It showed up around 10 AM. The email telling me it had been shipped didn't pop up until noon lol.

kamspy

kamspy said:
So, I stopped at Best Buy on the way home to grab my physical copy. Love the packaging. Love the art. Love the black back disc.

HATE the 3 minutes of silence at the start of Illest Motherfucker. Dumbest shit ever. I hoped they trimmed it from the iTunes release. No such luck. Guess I'll archive this one and stick with my burnt rip (with a trimmed Illest MoFo).

Pisses me off because I really wanted to rock the black back in my ride. Fuck whoever had that idea. Fire that motherfucker. Send his kids to the fucking orphanage.

quoting myself to share thought on the physical CD.

Ashhong

Really loving That's My Bitch and Otis more lately. I can see why some songs might make one believe that there is no lyrical content in this album, but I am so impressed by both of them on Bitch, and the ending of Why I Love You

[Jay-Z]
What do you do when the love turns the hate?
[Kanye West]
Gotta separate from these fuckin fakes
[Jay-Z]
Caesar didn't see it so he ceased to exist
So the nigga that killed him had keys to his shit
Am I my brother's keeper?
[Kanye West]
Only if that nigga don't creep up
[Jay-Z]
Got a pistol under my pillow
[Kanye West]
I've never been a deep sleeper
[Jay-Z]
P-p-p-paranoia
[Kanye West]
Cause the nigga that said he'll...
[Jay-Z]
Blast for ya
[Kanye West]
Is now...
[Jay-Z]
Blastin for ya
That's an assassin for ya
[Kanye West]
These niggas got a shot they'll shoot
[Jay-Z]
Please lord
[Kanye West]
Forgive him
[Jay-Z]
For these niggas
[Kanye West]
Not know
[Jay-Z]
What they
[Kanye West & Jay-Z]
Do (Ooh)

The back and forth is so well done, the last line always gives me small chills.

kamspy

I wish J.Cole, Nas, Wiz & Amber and Consequence were all watching Otis for the first time on a couch together and put the reactions on the internet.

I'd pay money.

Zozz

Banned
Album is great, really enjoying most of the tracks. My two fav. tracks are Why I Love You followed by Murder to Excellence. Who Gon Stop Me is pretty fucking great, cool use of Flux's song.

Reckoner

cacophony said:
IMFA should have been on the album
Haven't given too much attention to IMFA. Started listening it right now and it is really one of the best tracks on the album. It is really so good.

kamspy

Since they didn't put the bonus tracks on an extra disc I consider them to all be part of the album.

The 3:00 minutes of silence will deduct half a mic from whatever I decide to rate it though. Fuckers. If you're gonna do that might as well put them both on the same track and have a real hidden track.

What a horrible thing to do. I already FLAC'd it up and trimmed the song, but still. I'd like to use the real CD in the ride and on my HT speakers.

Ephemeris

enzo_gt said:
It's amazing how much Illest Motherfucker Alive sounds like what HAM was supposed to be. God damn, that track + Ye's verse especially goes hard as fuck. I can't stop listening to it. Also the Rap Genius page makes Ye's verse seem even more impressive.

1985... white Lamborghini Countach... 2 of 'em

Text message notification, son!

tumblr_lptqw17JPJ1qdjb42o1_500.jpg

YoungHav

Banned
So Hip hop Gaf, Jay-Z won this album right? He outshined Kanye more of the time.

kamspy said:
I wish J.Cole, Nas, Wiz & Amber and Consequence were all watching Otis for the first time on a couch together and put the reactions on the internet.

I'd pay money.
LOL random as fuck and funny.

Recon

Banned
kamspy said:
Since they didn't put the bonus tracks on an extra disc I consider them to all be part of the album.

The 3:00 minutes of silence will deduct half a mic from whatever I decide to rate it though. Fuckers. If you're gonna do that might as well put them both on the same track and have a real hidden track.

What a horrible thing to do. I already FLAC'd it up and trimmed the song, but still. I'd like to use the real CD in the ride and on my HT speakers.

Since they separated the songs, i consider them not on the album. I judge the album without them, because, they released the album without them. Replacing three of the album cuts with IMA,The Joy, and Primetime would of made it a lot better.

Why I love You is the best song on the album. it is soooo god. the 2nd verse + the back on forth is great. The ending part with the "P-p-paranoia" line and what comes after is just orgasmic.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
mysticwhip said:
Why I love You is the best song on the album. it is soooo god. the 2nd verse + the back on forth is great. The ending part with the "P-p-paranoia" line and what comes after is just orgasmic.

Agreed, my favourite track, and like it was posted above Yeezy and Jays back and forth is fantastic, really great song, and I don't see myself getting tired of it anytime soon. Love the Hudson redone vocals too.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
cacophony said:
Kinda hard to judge because Jay raps like 2x more than Ye

right, my friend and I was talking about this.

Kanye doesn't have anywhere close to the same about of time jay has on this album

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I posted pics of my WTT concert tickets on FB and some chick commented on it and say wiz was better.....I almost had an aneurism.

Meier

It's a shame the physical copy doesn't get rid of the white noise. Mine's coming next week once Amazon can ship it.

nib95

Banned
My cans are loving WTT.

T1a.jpg

Though does anyone else find Lift Off's mixing a bit strange? The starting beat and musical opening seem slightly recessed and quiet, also find Beyonce's vocals lacking in teeny bit of volume and the b-line beat a bit strong. I thought it might just be one or two of my headphones but after testing it with all my gear, including my Westone 4's, I'm sure it's the actual track.

cacophony

I got the deluxe today in the mail. It's alright. Looks kinda cheap but it's what I expected. It's kind of lame how the people who pre-ordered the deluxe when they launched the site don't get anything extra and the album arrived later. I wanted a fucking metal case.

pakkit

Banned
The production on this album has some stand outs... Is there an instrumental version on the way?

Hearing Kanye and Jay rap about how much money they've made, unsurprisingly, wears thin pretty quickly.

Kajiba

Words can't describe how much I love this album. Love all the tracks. Only hate the intro to Illest mother fucker. Me and my brother sitting in the car blasting the other tracks then the silence kicks in on track 13. We looking at each other like" wtf?". Thinking something wrong with the disc. He almost return the shit back too lol.

But my Favorite track Murder to Excellence. Something about that song man. So good.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
pakkit said:
The production on this album has some stand outs... Is there an instrumental version on the way?

Hearing Kanye and Jay rap about how much money they've made, unsurprisingly, wears thin pretty quickly.
I kind of wish Kanye would run into some huge financial catastrophe so we could go back to something more akin to College Dropout/Late Registration subject matter. Dude's always rapped about his life, but his life these days is ridiculous bullshit.

noire

Unconfirmed Member
I've gotten to give the album a better listen now that it's on Spotify.

Lyrically, I think it's pretty middle of the road for both of them. There are way too many instances where they don't rhyme their pairs. Notably 'black strap you know what that's for' and Kanye's 'manjanaaaaa'. That shit gets on my nerves.

Kanye being whiny-ass Kanye. Please stop bitching about how hard your life is because white people don't like you.

Jay-Z being on an album that features this much autotune after "D.O.A."... admittedly, it's a stupid thing, it just makes me shake my head.

That said, I really like the production throughout, though sometimes the beat changes feel forced. I'd like to see where that goes when it gets more polished and feels more natural. Really goes out on it's own and doesn't sound like anything else that I can think of.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Krev said:
I kind of wish Kanye would run into some huge financial catastrophe so we could go back to something more akin to College Dropout/Late Registration subject matter. Dude's always rapped about his life, but his life these days is ridiculous bullshit.

It can't be ridiculous bullshit if he's going through it. I'd rather have him rapping about his life and what he's going through than trying to appease an old life he's far from now. Nothing worse than rappers talking about shit they don't know anything about anymore, especially a dude like Kanye who is far and beyond anything he used to be.

noire

Unconfirmed Member
wenis said:
Nothing worse than rappers talking about shit they don't know anything about anymore, especially a dude like Kanye who is far and beyond anything he used to be.

Like business mogul Jay-Z still rapping about cooking up crack?

SD-Ness

I'm going to have to say I like My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy as a whole more than Watch the Throne but the latter is still quite enjoyable.

I also prefer Kanye over Jay at this point too.

The shout out to Danroy Henry at the beginning of "Murder to Excellence" gave me chills. The kid was shot last year in the town next to me.

zychi

Banned
SD-Ness said:
I'm going to have to say I like My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy as a whole more than Watch the Throne but the latter is still quite enjoyable.

I also prefer Kanye over Jay at this point too.
I agree. I overhyped MBDTF and it still met my expectations. WTT is a really good collabo album, but I've been down on Jay after the Black Album.

I've been a Kanye stan since his mixtape and he's just top dog in hip hop to me. JCole has replaced him as my "not everyone knows him yet" person to be a stan towards.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
wenis said:
It can't be ridiculous bullshit if he's going through it. I'd rather have him rapping about his life and what he's going through than trying to appease an old life he's far from now. Nothing worse than rappers talking about shit they don't know anything about anymore, especially a dude like Kanye who is far and beyond anything he used to be.
It's not so much that I want him to go back to rapping about who he was, as that I wish that not every track was about money. I loved MBDTF though, and that had more varied and interesting subject matter, so I'll hold out for his next solo album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom