• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West & Jay-Z present: Watch The Throne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashhong

I didnt grow up with Hip Hop, so I was never too big into Pac and am too lazy to listen to his works. So yea, I would put Ye above Pac as well. I can still appreciate what Pac did and his talent, but overall Ye > Pac for me. Can't really help it, different generations and all.

Recon

Banned
wenis said:
It's not, I know plenty of people that would argue Pac and Biggie laid the groundwork, but Ye elevated it. So it's not that odd...plus Kanye is also still "new and hot" and Pac and Biggie are "classics" like Zeppelin or Hendrix.

Ye didn't elevate anything. His production was an evolution, but nothing revolutionary. But since we are talking rappers, he doesn't even come close to pac or bigg, or Nas.

Fuck..Im outta here. Too many Kanye dick suckers. Y'all should head over to the gaf-hop thread and throw those rankings out.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
ReconYoda said:
Ye didn't elevate anything. His production was an evolution, but nothing revolutionary. But since we are talking rappers, he doesn't even come close to pac or bigg, or Nas.

Fuck..Im outta here. Too many Kanye dick suckers. Y'all should head over to the gaf-hop thread and throw those rankings out.

because they'll tear them up? rawr rawr rawr?

you a fool!

Recon

Banned
wenis said:
because they'll tear them up? rawr rawr rawr?

you a fool!

Im a fool? Because I'm not a Kanye stan, and i don't put a whiny pop star over what are unequivocally considered the two best that did it? Yeah, ill stay "foolish" Y'all stay retarded.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
ReconYoda said:
Im a fool? Because I'm not a Kanye stan, and i don't put a whiny pop star over what are unequivocally considered the two best that did it? Yeah, ill stay "foolish" Y'all stay retarded.

my sarcasm doesn't apparently work for you...cool down. jeez louise.

cdyhybrid

Ashhong said:
I didnt grow up with Hip Hop, so I was never too big into Pac and am too lazy to listen to his works. So yea, I would put Ye above Pac as well. I can still appreciate what Pac did and his talent, but overall Ye > Pac for me. Can't really help it, different generations and all.
Wait, so you're too lazy to listen to Pac but you're willing to rank him? Cmon man.

Kanye kills it at the VMAs. Gold Digger was off the chain.

Recon

Banned
cdyhybrid said:
Wait, so you're too lazy to listen to Pac but you're willing to rank him? Cmon man.

Kanye kills it at the VMAs. Gold Digger was off the chain.

Kanye always puts on a good show.

McNei1y

Ashhong said:

I feel like you should give Pac a listen before you rank it this way. I understand different generations so it may not be as incredible as it was in the day for those growing up with it but failing to listen to pac because your "lazy" and blaming it on different generations doesn't really make sense. I'm just recommending that you listen to some Pac (and BIG if you haven't) before being 100% set.

overcast

People going crazy in here. Though I do think Kanye will be remembered as of the "legends". IMO not close to Biggie or Pac, and I'm a Kanye stan.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
ReconYoda said:

How was it nothing short of a revolution even if it was an evolution of an existing sound, much like most music is? The two aren't mutually exclusive, and Ye indeed shook up hip hop, mainstream and otherwise quite considerably and permanently.

Jay-Z over Pac.. I will never accept that. Till the day die.

Satyamdas

Banned
Second said:
I hate rap music. But I somehow love Kanye West and Jay-Z

And this album is perfect.
That's funny. I love rap music and I hate Kanye and Jay-Z. Overrated doesn't begin to describe them.

After 3 full listens I think this album is a solid 5.5/10. A few real nice tracks surrounded by sloppy unfocused drivel.

Recon

Banned
enzo_gt said:
How was it nothing short of a revolution even if it was an evolution of an existing sound, much like most music is? The two aren't mutually exclusive, and Ye indeed shook up hip hop, mainstream and otherwise quite considerably and permanently.

Jay-Z over Pac.. I will never accept that. Till the day die.

Because sampling was nothing new. Ye didn't shake up hip hop. I know, because i was hoping he would. He opened a few doors for some artists that weren't fitting into the gangsta rap mold that was prevalent at the time, but that also took awhile. I think some of you remember things differently.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
ReconYoda said:
Because sampling was nothing new. Ye didn't shake up hip hop. I know, because i was hoping he would. He opened a few doors for some artists that weren't fitting into the gangsta rap mold that was prevalent at the time, but that also took awhile. I think some of you remember things differently.
what. how is that different from kanye changing the game.

i swear i have no clue what your talking about any more. first you say "His production was an evolution" but then say "but nothing revolutionary."

RJT

I have no problems with putting Kanye up there with Pac and Biggie as artists. They're obviously much more talented than Kanye as rappers, but as a whole they're all legends.

Recon

Banned
Complex Shadow said:
what. how is that different from kanye changing the game.

i swear i have no clue what your talking about any more. first you say "His production was an evolution" but then say "but nothing revolutionary."

That isn't contradictory. Evolution=/=Revolution. I daresay Kanye has way more influence now, than he ever did back then. It was a gradual change. Nothing dramatic as you stans indicate.

RJT

ReconYoda said:
That isn't contradictory. Evolution=/=Revolution. I daresay Kanye has way more influence now, than he ever did back then. It was a gradual change. Nothing dramatic as you stans indicate.
What's the last revolutionary album in Hip-Hop? 3 Feet High and Rising? Funcrusher Plus?
Nothing Pac or Big did was revolutionary either. Revolutions are overrated...

Recon

Banned
RJT said:
What's the last revolutionary album in Hip-Hop? 3 Feet High and Rising? Funcrusher Plus?
Nothing Pac or Big did was revolutionary either. Revolutions are overrated...

Again, you are fucking moronic if you can't grasp that being evolutionary isn't being Revolutionary.

RJT

ReconYoda said:
Again, you are fucking moronic if you can't grasp that being evolutionary isn't being Revolutionary.
I agree with you on that. I'm disagreeing when you said that "Ye didn't elevate anything." Evolution is elevating, and not being revolutionary isn't a fair criticism (because revolutions are so rare).

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
ReconYoda said:
what i don't understand is why your so goddamn mad. you name a person who has been nominated 147 times in four albums. from what ive read, you just can't seem to get over the fact that kanye is better than "good".

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
ReconYoda said:
If I remember correctly, gangsta rap is dead now, and all the successful artists of yore had to adapt to fit the changing interest of the demographic, see: Jay annd Nas post-TCD. The doors were replaced entirely over time, nothing happens suddenly. Sure it was slow, but I would say that the major shift came post-Graduation.

Call it a renaissance if you want, maybe revolution is too strong, point being there was a shake up. No nothing is as sudden as you may have expected, but there was a distinct change in the direction hip hop went. Not to knock 'em, but he's partially responsible for why soft serve rappers are so much more prominent, successful and valued over your Jadakiss types.

Smeghead

Got my deluxe copy today (Amazon fucked up a bit in the UK) and it's pretty much what i expected, not as good as MBDTF but still a solid 4/5.

What the fuck is Lift Off though? Could have been a decent track if Ye and Jay bothered with some verses, shit sounds like a demo. Shame because the production is pretty good.

Murder to Excellence, Niggas in Paris and Illest Motherfucker Alive are god tier, so good.gif.

Jado

Banned
Ashhong said:

What the hell is going on in this thread? Are there people actually arguing that Kanye is a superior rapper to Pac and Biggie? What?? As much as I like Kanye, he has never been anything more than an average rapper with good production, unique sense of style, and controversy in the media. I don't remember the source, but I believe even Kanye himself has said as much (not as strong a rapper, more an entertainer). Many of Kanye's rhymes sound so.. basic, like a young, clumsy student still trying to figure out the craft. Some of the stuff he spits is so goofy and awkward that it makes me cringe. I sit there thinking how a certain line could've been so much better, how a more talented rapper would've killed that verse.

And for the record, I didn't really start listening to Pac and Biggie's volume of work until a few years ago. I'm definitely not hung up on nostalgia. Also, Lupe (who is also far ahead to Kanye in rapping ability) is currently more creative and fired up than lazy Jay-Z. Why isn't Kanye doing more work with him? Rhetorical question; more money and media hype in a Jay collab.

cacophony said:
Why do so many people hate on rappers rapping/bragging about money? I find it inspiring and encouraging more so than annoying.

Some rappers do it so much that it comes to dominate entire songs. If it becomes everything they have to say, then it's like they're saying nothing at all. No real message to listeners besides "I'm rich."

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
cacophony said:
Why do so many people hate on rappers rapping/bragging about money? I find it inspiring and encouraging more so than annoying.
Eh it depends of the context. If it's smartly done I can find it inspiring too but when it's unimaginative like some of 50 Cent's songs then it gets annoying.

YE YE GET MORE MONEY MORE MONEY

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
My two cents on Lift Off - great production, great use of Beyonce, the flow of the two works, but both Kanye and Jay have no idea what to actually rap about on the track. It all feels like a freestyle and Jay-Z is barely there. Looking at the shit on paper is just so...what the fuck. It's kind of crazy to think it may be the next single because it's mostly a Beyonce star track.

Ashhong

Jado said:
What the hell is going on in this thread? Are there people actually arguing that Kanye is a superior rapper to Pac and Biggie? What?? As much as I like Kanye, he has never been anything more than an average rapper with good production, unique sense of style, and controversy in the media. I don't remember the source, but I believe even Kanye himself has said as much (not as strong a rapper, more an entertainer). Many of Kanye's rhymes sound so.. basic, like a young, clumsy student still trying to figure out the craft. Some of the stuff he spits is so goofy and awkward that it makes me cringe. I sit there thinking how a certain line could've been so much better, how a more talented rapper would've killed that verse.

And for the record, I didn't really start listening to Pac and Biggie's volume of work until a few years ago. I'm definitely not hung up on nostalgia. Also, Lupe (who is also far ahead to Kanye in rapping ability) is currently more creative and fired up than lazy Jay-Z. Why isn't Kanye doing more work with him? Rhetorical question; more money and media hype in a Jay collab.

Some rappers do it so much that it comes to dominate entire songs. If it becomes everything they have to say, then it's like they're saying nothing at all. No real message to listeners besides "I'm rich."

Not once did I say he was a better rapper. Just as an artist overall, that includes everything about him, Kanye > Pac for me. Of course that is because I haven't listened to Pac extensively, but there are a lot of people that would be in a similar position as me. Just saying its not such a ridiculous thought to have.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
My two cents on Lift Off - great production, great use of Beyonce, the flow of the two works, but both Kanye and Jay have no idea what to actually rap about on the track. It all feels like a freestyle and Jay-Z is barely there. Looking at the shit on paper is just so...what the fuck. It's kind of crazy to think it may be the next single because it's mostly a Beyonce star track.

I hate Beyonce on it. Her singing comes across as extremely uh...strained I think the word is. It's like shes trying to add that extra oomph to her singing and its really annoying.

ShdwDrake

Banned
Ashhong said:
Not once did I say he was a better rapper. Just as an artist overall, that includes everything about him, Kanye > Pac for me. Of course that is because I haven't listened to Pac extensively, but there are a lot of people that would be in a similar position as me. Just saying its not such a ridiculous thought to have.

I've listened to Pac extensively and I'd agree with you. Ye is an overall better artist than Pac.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
ShdwDrake said:
I've listened to Pac extensively and I'd agree with you. Ye is an overall better artist than Pac.
Goodness gracious... I think for my own safety I'm going to leave this thread until it stops going down this route. For my own sanity.

kamspy

0lg8m.jpg

enzo_gt said:
Goodness gracious... I think for my own safety I'm going to leave this thread until it stops going down this route. For my own sanity.
Why? Jesus Pac was great but he wasn't the end all be all. Kanyes not some up and comer either, he's already got a decade and what 6 albums under his belt?

ShdwDrake said:

Martin Luther King died so I could read this post on the internet? Jesus fuck, I'm done. Just take me away

Tguy said:
I don't know about Kanye> Pac.....,but I can see someone saying Kanye> Biggie just because of the albums Biggie has put out.

I've lived too long. This can't be life.

There's a difference between having a collection of good albums and making some of the greatest music of all time.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Tguy said:
I don't know about Kanye> Pac.....

but I can see someone saying Kanye> Biggie just because of the albums Biggie has put out.
Biggie had arguably the best hip hop album ever in RTD, but LAD was so terrible in so many ways that it really tarnished his legacy IMO. It doesn't help that Puff has further fucked his legacy with Duets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom