• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West & Jay-Z present: Watch The Throne

Status
Not open for further replies.
VSY4H.jpg

grkazan12

MThanded said:
I may be on of the only people who likes 808s. Got damn. Say it aint so.

Edit: Also, WTT has really grown on me.

Your not alone I love 808s as well my man. Great beats, theme was consistent, and I still enjoy the lyrics damn it. FWIW I love WTT, the album was great. Not Ye's and Jay's greatest obviously but still pretty good compared to other mainstream hip hop these days. Lift Off is alright, sorry haters.

Never Let Me Down just popped up randomly on shuffle, first I've heard it in a while (need to get on listening to College Dropout again).

these guys definitely don't make em like they used to anymore. Their new stuff is entertaining but damn, huge difference in quality. And ye wasn't so cheesy back then.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Discotheque said:
Never Let Me Down just popped up randomly on shuffle, first I've heard it in a while (need to get on listening to College Dropout again).

these guys definitely don't make em like they used to anymore. Their new stuff is entertaining but damn, huge difference in quality. And ye wasn't so cheesy back then.
I get angry when people mention the best songs on TCD and they don't mention Never Let Me Down.

Hands down top 5 Kanye song ever IMO.

Kaizer

Banned
enzo_gt said:
I get angry when people mention the best songs on TCD and they don't mention Never Let Me Down.

Personally "Two Words" is still my favorite Kanye song & production all around. It's as incredible & hard-hitting as it was back then. Mos Def & Freeway melded onto to track perfectly. I'd love to hear J.Cole & Kendrick Lamar rhyme over a "Two Worlds" type concept.

Jado

Banned
ShdwDrake said:
I've listened to Pac extensively and I'd agree with you. Ye is an overall better artist than Pac.

Kanye can be entertaining, funny, and interesting, but listen to what he raps about and how he goes about doing so. The cleverness, metaphors, lyrical complexity, the flow. Kanye is like a solid 5 out of 10 if one had to put it on a scale (sometimes better, sometimes painfully worse). He has had a lasting impression on the industry, but he's an extremely average rapper who will never be remembered for his lyrical mastery. There's a simplistic, plodding consistency to his wordplay and delivery, like he's struggling very hard to do something beyond his capability. I know I'm not the only one who hears this in him. I don't recollect anything from him that just completely blew me away.

If you want to make an argument that he's overall better due to his ability to entertain and level of fame, then I would remind you that Kanye is a product of his time (Internet, Youtube, Twitter, smartphones) and that relative to his time in the '90s, Pac was just as huge and influential.

zychi

Banned
Jado said:
Kanye can be entertaining, funny, and interesting, but listen to what he raps about and how he goes about doing so. The cleverness, metaphors, lyrical complexity, the flow. Kanye is like a solid 5 out of 10 if one had to put it on a scale (sometimes better, sometimes painfully worse). He has had a lasting impression on the industry, but he's an extremely average rapper who will never be remembered for his lyrical mastery. There's a simplistic, plodding consistency to his wordplay and delivery, like he's struggling very hard to do something beyond his capability. I know I'm not the only one who hears this in him. I don't recollect anything from him that just completely blew me away.

If you want to make an argument that he's overall better due to his ability to entertain and level of fame, then I would remind you that Kanye is a product of his time (Internet, Youtube, Twitter, smartphones) and that relative to his time in the '90s, Pac was just as huge and influential.
Cutie da bomb
Met her at a beauty salon
With a baby Louis Vuitton
Under her under arm
She said I can tell you rock
I can tell by ya charm
Far as girls you got a flock
I can tell by ya charm and ya arm
but I'm lookin' for the one
have you seen her?
My psychic told me she gonna have a ass like Serena
Trina, Jennifer Lopez, four kids
An' I gotta take all they bad ass to show-biz
Okay get ya kids but then they got they friends
I pulled up in the Benz, they all got up in
We all went to din and then I had to pay
If you fuckin' with this girl then you betta' be paid
You know why
Take too much to touch her
From what I heard she got a baby by Busta
My best friend say she used to fuck with Usher
I don't care what none of y'all say I still love her
classic.

Jado said:

Good post. I'm a fan of Kanye but there is alot of merit to what you said. the way he puts emphasis on his punch lines , the way enunciates words( he stresses and stretches words too often), the tone and pitch of his voice( loud and rough, like he's trying to outdo the production); even though all these traits give him a very distinct style and incredible mic presence, it does comes off as forced, especially when you take into account the simple nature of his lyrics and his straight foward flow. Kanye comes off as an average rapper trying so hard to be something more. It's actually something he grew into the last few years. Before, Kanye was a bit more laid back and he seemed more in control; a subtle difference but his music was better for it .

I will say Kanye's lyrics do have bit of charm and he has no trouble with being humorous, which are two big strengths of his. Also, Kanye's music just ooze's with his personality( which can work against him too when he's being corny), something alot of rappers have trouble displaying.In terms of technical skill though, there are plenty of rappers who are better.

Edit: I just looked at the last few pages, and they're people actually arguing that Kanye is better than Biggie and Tupac? This can't be life, motherfuck me this can't be life.....

Ashhong

enzo_gt said:

Heh, I missed most of the Pac vs Kanye battle when I kind of instigated it in the first place
lol.gif
Kinda glad I wasn't here for it though, I wont lie.

enzo_gt said:
This is exhibit A of what I'm talking about. This is a legitimate discussion point, but people do this, ruin actual debating and point it towards what I feared the topic would devolve quickly into.

How was it even an actual debate when there never was some type of argument to argue as to Kanye's superiority other than like two or three people saying they missed the boat on PAC and Biggie so therefore are more fond of Kanye.

You want to start a discussion? It took Tupac 7 days to complete 7 Day Theory. It took Jay-Z and Kanye a year to make Throne. Which ones a classic?

kamspy

5 Mics

I'll reevaluate it in December and see if it stands the test of a few months. Right now it's nothing else but 5 Mics.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
RBelong2Us said:
How was it even an actual debate when there never was some type of argument to argue as to Kanye's superiority other than like two or three people saying they missed the boat on PAC and Biggie so therefore are more fond of Kanye.
So basically, like you said before, because someone had an opportunity to digest one person's body of work more than another's, they're wrong?

RBelong2Us said:
You want to start a discussion? It took Tupac 7 days to complete 7 Day Theory. It took Jay-Z and Kanye a year to make Throne. Which ones a classic?
Er.. that's not a discussion, this entire bit is nonsense. It took Jay and Ye, what, 3 months of actual recording to make WTT, then refine and re-record 2 different revisions.

Also, time is irrelevant.

Recon

Banned
kamspy said:
5 Mics

I'll reevaluate it in December and see if it stands the test of a few months. Right now it's nothing else but 5 Mics.

5 mics...outta 10. Completely average. Nothing offensively bad, but nothing great either(3/4 bonus cuts were great tho.)

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I really dislike Beyonce's hook on "Lift Off".

Jado said:

I agree with this. His rapping skills have always been his weak point.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Anyone do a compilation of all the satanic stuff on the album? A friend of mine just went on about how they're obviously messing with everyone now, haven't paid much attention to the lyrics of the songs yet

Meier

Probably old news but it looks like Why I Love You is going to be the next radio single now rather than Lift Off.. heard a "rate new music" segment on this morning show I listen to and it was on there. Took me by surprise since Lift Off is definitely very pop-radio friendly.

LevelNth

Banned
Not a hip-hop fan, but when someone steps up and puts out more than the same old ridiculousness that the genre pumps out week after week, I love checking it out.

This is easily the best hip-hop album since Kanye's last disc, and it's so refreshing to hear them rapping about a variety of things, rather than just the same old tripe I feel I've been hearing for 20 years.

Plus Kanye and Jay-Z even have a way to them with what they write, that when even they say the same old crap, it's a little more entertaining than it aught to be.

Fav tracks:

No Church in the Wild
Ni**as in Paris
Otis
Gotta Have It
Who Gon Stop Me
Murder in Excellence

LevelNth said:
Not a hip-hop fan, but when someone steps up and puts out more than the same old ridiculousness that the genre pumps out week after week, I love checking it out.

This is easily the best hip-hop album since Kanye's last disc, and it's so refreshing to hear them rapping about a variety of things, rather than just the same old tripe I feel I've been hearing for 20 years.

Plus Kanye and Jay-Z even have a way to them with what they write, that when even they say the same old crap, it's a little more entertaining than it aught to be.

Fav tracks:

No Church in the Wild
Ni**as in Paris
Otis
Gotta Have It
Who Gon Stop Me
Murder in Excellence

dis gon be gud

YoungHav

Banned
I don't appreciate non Hip hop fans tellin what the best rap album this century is. If you don't know who or what Jay-Z is talking about in I Love You So or the history behind that track, this isn't for you.

spindashing said:
Who's to say that Pac or Biggie wouldn't collaborate with Katy Perry or other pop artists if they were still alive?

Dr. Dre collaborated with Skylar Grey. Snoop Dogg has collaborated with Katy Perry too.
Kanye makes music with Katy Perry. 2pac had sex with early/mid 90's Madonna. 2pac wins.

LevelNth

Banned
Sorry I should've clarified, when I said I'm not a hip-hop fan, I meant more so it's definitely not my genre of choice. Still have a ton of hip-hop in my iTunes, listened to even more, etc.

Just most of what I listen to is forgettable and disposable IMO.

nns3d

Tupac also did a song with Madonna (unreleased though).

I haven't listened to the album much after launch, but Murder to Excellence and Why I Love You get alot of spins from me.

SoulPlaya said:
Biggie had arguably the best hip hop album ever in RTD, but LAD was so terrible in so many ways that it really tarnished his legacy IMO. It doesn't help that Puff has further fucked his legacy with Duets.

I never liked LAD either, too much filler for my taste. It does have some great songs (Miss U, Notorious Thugs, Somebody's Gotta Die, I Love the Dough...)

YoungHav

Banned
One of my favorite political raps from 2pac is his 2nd verse off of Letter To The President. (I dunno if this is the original version I intended to post, dont have headphones at work).

"Heavenly Father may I holla at you briefly?
I wanna meet the president but will he meet me?
Is he scared to look inside the eyes of a thug nigga?
I'm tired of being a scapegoat for these capitalistic drug dealers"

I appreciate the socially conscious verses/bars on this album. Jay-Z needs to do it more often. LOL @ Jay-Z's That's My Bitch verse pointing out the lack of black representation in the fashion/beauty world, then having no black women in the Otis video. lol it's like autotune showing up right after his opening verse on this album post D.O.A.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
overcast said:
People going crazy in here. Though I do think Kanye will be remembered as of the "legends". IMO not close to Biggie or Pac, and I'm a Kanye stan.

Actually Kanye West should end up being remembered as a bigger legend than Biggie or Pac. Given that he doesn't die within the next year or two.

His catalog of music will be WAY deeper than both of those guys before it's over.

M.J. Doja

Banned
All I can say is that after a few weeks, this CD has managed to stay within my favor with songs growing on me, and none being skipped except Niggas In Paris, Otis, and New day.

I only skip those because the first 2 are getting heavy radio play in L.A., and New Day is a cool song but doesnt always cry out for me to listen to it. Kanye really does it for me on Lift Off, just wish there were more of him.

I'm so glad I'm a fan of Jay, 2pac, Biggie AND Kanye. Kanye will always have a huge edge because of his production ability.. I'd sooner compare him to Dr. Dre though.

Fuck "Hip-Hop opinions", not my ideal discussion.

hoos30

MThanded said:
I may be on of the only people who likes 808s. Got damn. Say it aint so.

Edit: Also, WTT has really grown on me.

Nah, 808s was fantastic. That was the Kanye I heard in "Last Call".

WTT is getting better and better the more I listen to it. That is a good sign.

kodecraft

Cudder said:
cutting "crazy" short

Yea cutting an already short word....shorter...

It's almost like he originally said "that sh^t crazy" but got the word muted at the end for effect hence the "that sh^t cray..." sound it has.

It fits the beat better thats the only reason from a MC perspective i can see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom