• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West & Jay-Z present: Watch The Throne

Status
Not open for further replies.
enzo_gt said:
The amount of potential wars you've started in this post will tide us over until HAM on tuesday :lol
:lol boards up windows and doors

hes a good rapper, but his studio time didnt indicate that

enzo_gt said:
What point is anyone making in this thread ATM?

YoungHav already went back on his own statement, saying Ye can't hold his shit together without features, which are Jay-Z's crutch nowadays, as evidenced by BP3. And he said BP3 > MBDTF. Hypocrisy detected. So, we get it dude, you like Jay-Z better than Ye. Don't have to go rationalize some sort of hate for Ye to justify Jay-Z's superiority in your opinion.

Hell, if you ask me, as far as making MUSIC goes, Kanye surpassed Jigga a long time ago. Believe me, Jay's my dude, but its hard to get excited over much he puts out anymore. All of my favourite songs of his from the past few years have all been with the assistance of a feature or so. Not that that bothers me, I just don't remember the last time I thought "A NEW JAY-Z ALBUM IS COMING OUT? HOLY SHIT AMAZING."

Your words...it is like they are coming out of my own mouth, quality post.

Nert

Zel3 said:
Lets remember the best song they've done together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do3iJ6DWvpQ

On that diamond remix I swore I spazzed
Then my big brother came through and kicked my ass

Ye has been outshining Jay as of late hopefully Jay doesn't disappoint.

I'm really torn on that remix. Jay's verse, when viewed in a vacuum, is excellent, with plenty of great lines. In the context of the theme of the remix (particularly the direction Kanye took it in), Jay's verse feels completely out of place. When juxtaposed with Lupe Fiasco's excellent take on it, it seems even sillier to me.

PhoenixDark said:
No one thought Reasonable Doubt was a classic until Jay-Z repeated it a million times. It's very good, but compared to OB4CL and other mafioso albums it's forgettable. Plus no one remembered that album after It Was Written dropped a few months later

What were you? Like 8 years old when RD came out? Honestly?

Zel3

Nert said:
I'm really torn on that remix. Jay's verse, when viewed in a vacuum, is excellent, with plenty of great lines. In the context of the theme of the remix (particularly the direction Kanye took it in), Jay's verse feels completely out of place. When juxtaposed with Lupe Fiasco's excellent take on it, it seems even sillier to me.

The remix is about Rocafella.

"When I speak of Diamonds in this song
I ain't talkin bout the ones that be glown
I'm talkin bout Rocafella, my home, my chain" - Kanye

"Diamonds are forever forever forever"
Throw ya diamonds in the sky
If you feel the vibe
"Diamonds are forever forever forever"
The ROC is still alive
Everytime I rhyme
"Forever and ever!" - Kanye

People askin' me is I'm gon' give my chain back (uh)
That'll be the same day I give the game back (uh)
You know the next question dog 'yo, where Dame at?'(uh)
This track the Indian dance to bring our reign back (whoo!)
'wassup wit you a Jay man, are ya'll okay man?' - Kanye

Jay stays on topic for most of his verse. Man you just reminded me how great Lupe's version is. :)

Nert said:

Kanye gave Jay a direct segue for his verse....

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Nert said:
Didn't even know the Lupe Version existed, till someone pointed out Ye did the conscious sounding remix after Lupe spit over it.

But to me, one of Jay's best lines ever:

I'm not a businessman, I'm a business, mannnnnnnn / Let me handle my business, damn.

The delivery of that shit is godlike. On that, Hate on BP3 is an awesome collabo, fuck the haters. I want Ye and Jay to go back and fourth on some really hard beats on WTT. I love that shit, and Ye and Jay do really bring out the best in eachother. Jay has to fend for his reputation so he doesn't get renegaded, and Ye puts the special sauce in his production when it comes to stuff he gives to Jay.

Zel3

ethered and renegaded

poor jay :lol

Anyone here listen to The Joy? I wonder if that will be on the album, such a good track.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Zel3 said:
ethered and renegaded

poor jay :lol

Anyone here listen to The Joy? I wonder if that will be on the album, such a good track.
Pete Rock said that it will make it on. Then again, Pete Rock hasn't even heard the G.O.O.D. Friday version, only the one him and Jay and Ye cooked up before Ye decided to put Curtis Mayfield and CuDi on the track. Though, you know how albums work and how things change a lot from conception till the end.

Pete also wants Common and Ghostface to get on the The Joy remix, which sounds pretty awesome to me.

For all the Jay hate going on here (from me included) he pretty much ethered us all

I went from the favorite
To the most hated
But would you rather be underpaid or overrated?

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Ken Masters said:
For all the Jay hate going on here (from me included) he pretty much ethered us all

I went from the favorite
To the most hated
But would you rather be underpaid or overrated?
who said they hated jay? not me thats for sure. lota kanye hate though

That Jay verse on Diamonds is odd. The original, Kanye-only version of Diamonds had nothing to do with the blood diamond trade, although the music video did. Lupe Fiasco then did his own version of the song with the blood diamond theme, which was superior imo. After that Kanye released the remix which featured his own take on the topic...but also included a Jay verse that had nothing to do with anything.

I get the impression Jay's verse was written for the original Diamonds, not the remix. Perhaps the label threw it on there to get more buzz; iirc the single didn't do great.

YoungHav

Banned
I will stop with the back and forth but this album will silence critics and Kanye. "Watch the Throne", the title alone seems like a warning from Jay to Kanye. Jay-Z didn't even want to sign Mr. West and Kanye has been disrespecting Jay-Z by making songs with DipSet and always shouting out Ma$e (Jay and Ma$e had beef). Why would you disrespect your homey like that? Jay had enough and this album is the end result. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. Why do you think Suge was sitting right next to Pac in the BMW? Jay is setting Kanye up for the fall and will outshine him in each and every track on this record, maybe even sneaking a subliminal or two in the process. Mark my words.
spindashing said:
Conway West & A random camel present Watch the Toilet
:lol

YoungHav said:
I will stop with the back and forth but this album will silence critics and Kanye. "Watch the Throne", the title alone seems like a warning from Jay to Kanye. Jay-Z didn't even want to sign Mr. West and Kanye has been disrespecting Jay-Z by making songs with DipSet and always shouting out Ma$e (Jay and Ma$e had beef). Why would you disrespect your homey like that? Jay had enough and this album is the end result. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. Why do you think Suge was sitting right next to Pac in the BMW? Jay is setting Kanye up for the fall and will outshine him in each and every track on this record, maybe even sneaking a subliminal or two in the process. Mark my words.

Is this real life?

YoungHav said:

I assume you are now just trolling, you can't be this stupid right?

effzee

YoungHav said:

WTF?

YoungHav said:

So why has Jay-Z been biting Kanye's entire style over the last few years with this faux hipster bullshit? Oh wait, because that's what Jay does: get close to someone, jack their style, then move on to the next one. Jaz-O, Biggie, Nas, Young Chris, now Kanye.

Explain

Ken Masters said:
I assume you are now just trolling, you can't be this stupid right?

From the conversations I had with him earlier in this thread, I can only surmise that he's being a troll. If not, well, I'm going to try to ignore his stuff to the best of my ability. :lol

dvdjamm

YoungHav said:

4u7udv.jpg

PBY

Banned
This thread is miserable, what the fuck is going on in here?:lol Anyways, someone leak the damn single plz

pakkit

Banned
You don't like American Gangster, PD?

It's probably the strongest lyrical work by Jay-Z alongside his debut.

effzee

As for the actual album I am hyped for tons!

Love Jay Z and love Kanye (though not as much as a rapper but more as a producer) and it can only lead to some awesome songs.

pakkit said:
You don't like American Gangster, PD?

It's probably the strongest lyrical work by Jay-Z alongside his debut.

It's alright, I don't hate it or anything. Just never got the hype. Definitely has some great tracks like Success, but there's also shit like Hello Brooklyn

Nert

Byakuya769 said:
Kanye gave Jay a direct segue for his verse....

Yeah, I know he did. And yes, the song is about Rocafella... sort of.

Kanye:

"Good morning, this aint vietnam still,
People lose legs, hands arms, for real
Little is known of Sierra Leone,
and how it connects to the diamonds we own,
When i speak of diamonds in this song,
I aint talking bout the ones that be glowing,
I'm talking bout Rocafella, my home,
My chain, these aint conflict diamonds is they Jacob?
Don't lie to me man,
See apart of me saying keep shining, how?
When I know of the blood diamonds,
Though it's thousands of miles away,
Sierra Leone connect to what we go through today
Over here it's a drug trade,we die from drugs
Over there, they die from what we buy from drugs
The diamonds, the chains,the bracelets the charms's
I thought my jesus piece was so harmless
Till I seen a picture of a shorty armless
Now here's the conflict, it's in a black person soul
just to rock that gold
Spend ya whole like trying to get that ice
???? it look so nice,
how could something so wrong make me feel so right
Right?

Before I beat myself up at night
I can still my Roca-fella diamond to night"

It's clear that Kanye is taking a very introspective/conscious approach to the subject matter and drawing parallels to Sierra Leone's diamond trafficking. So yeah, they might each be focusing on the same general topic (Rocafella), but the approaches that they take feel completely different in a way that doesn't mesh well for me. I had a similar problem with Jay-Z's appearance on Never Let Me Down.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
YoungHav said:

id1Db4.gif

Dipset disses Kanye.
Kanye says he loves Dipset, even though they dissed him and that Dipset is necessary for hip hop.
Dipset and Kanye do a song together.

The way I look at it, Kanye fucking understands hip hop. In the name of good music, Yeezy will go there. You act like Kanye's on Jay's balls. Jay put Ye on, and he might of had an idea of how well he'd do, but Ye blew up big time. This could lead to Dipset patching up things with Jay too.

There is no comparsion to Suge and Pac, the two are a powerhouse together. GTFO here with this hyperbole.

Maybe when HAM or WTT throne comes out we can compare verses to see who killed who.

Nert said:
It's clear that Kanye is taking a very introspective/conscious approach to the subject matter and drawing parallels to Sierra Leone's diamond trafficking. So yeah, they might each be focusing on the same general topic (Rocafella), but the approaches that they take feel completely different in a way that doesn't mesh well for me. I had a similar problem with Jay-Z's appearance on Never Let Me Down.
Never Let Me Down is a top 5 Kanye song. The song is like a novel where Jay is the contextual narrator, and Ye is like the protagonist telling the story. I thought the styles are juxtapatory in a way, but both verses are so well suited next to eachother.

PhoenixDark said:
So why has Jay-Z been biting Kanye's entire style over the last few years with this faux hipster bullshit? Oh wait, because that's what Jay does: get close to someone, jack their style, then move on to the next one. Jaz-O, Biggie, Nas, Young Chris, now Kanye.

Explain

fry.jpg :lol

Jack White and Jay-Z mentioned during the summer that they had collaborated on something that was "amazing" but it hasn't been mentioned since. I'd love to see it pop up on this album. Can't wait to hear it. I've been dying to hear it, or at least hear it talked about since they mentioned it.

Swag

Ashhong said:
listening now

you guys are going to hate it :lol

Truer words never spoken.

After listening to it, yes Gaf Hop will find this terrible :lol

Edit: on second thought, the beat when Jay Z is finishing, damn wtf shits explosive

PhoenixDark said:

Explain

fist_bump_cat-102.jpg

I am not sure what to think of HAM. I don't think Kanye is good over Lex beats...

With that said the beat is pretty good once the main part kicks in.

Link for those looking for it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
fuck lex luger, fuck him to hell and fucking back.

let these n*ggas know who I aaaaaaaaaaaaam is the new loooooooooooove.

wenis check my link

this shit was trash truck juice same sound as BMF and lyrics where from 1997. What does Dr. Dre call it anticpointment.

Groupies will like it but this shit was mediocre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom