• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West & Jay-Z present: Watch The Throne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brinbe

Disappointing... they can do a lot better than this.

Jay was alright, actually, but Ye was off on this one.

And I know this type of beat is what's hot now, but it isn't for me. Just meh on that front.

Tokubetsu

:lol :lol :lol
The dullest Lex Luger beat, ever. Sad part is, you can almost hear the excitement it probably had initially before Ye laid his hands on it.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
This won't be my final comment on this track, but from a first time listen Ye came off hard as fuck and I want to say it was because of Luger producing, but I dunno.... It was hard, but kinda lame like he was trying too hard.

Jay delivered something solid, but yeah...it was kinda his status quo.

solid B-/C+ track to me.

soul creator said:
just for shits and giggles, I threw this together in a few minutes: B.HAM.F.

To be fair many producers save their drumkits and just add something new over them. Unfortunately for Lex his drums pattern is very noticeable regardless of what he puts over it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Some thoughts:

- The chorus isn't that bad, just.. they're so off tune.
- Kanye can't flow over the Luger beat properly, it's just unnatural to him, and he can't deal with the Luger drums and is trying to wrap his raps around them and it isn't working.. Jay's having trouble flowing too, though clearly not as much as Kanye.
- Hearing Jay-Z say WHO I AAAAAAAAAM and HAAAAAAAAAAM makes me want to drown him out with the sound of nails on a chalkboard.
- The Outro is pretty Sweet.
- Unlike Toku, I don't thing Kanye put his fingers into this beat, and that's not just cause I want to blame it all on fucking Lex Luger.
- Now I know why the cover was ridiculous with the dogs and shit.
- FUCK Lex Luger
- The beat during the chorus is 3x better than the beat during verses

inb4YoungHav

The M.O.B

:(

You know the song isn't good when the best part is after they do their verses.

Kinda of disappointed in Ye.

Dear Lex, get yourself a new drum kit.

Tokubetsu

Angelus Errare said:
To be fair many producers save their drumkits and just add something new over them. Unfortunately for Lex his drums pattern is very noticeable regardless of what he puts over it.

That's because he always uses the same exact drums. It's one thing to mix up patterns and sfx but to use the same fucking kit, every single time?

Tokubetsu said:
That's because he always uses the same exact drums. It's one thing to mix up patterns and sfx but to use the same fucking kit, every single time?

Oh I agree, he's a young producer but yeah the kit is annoying because it's overused. When I first heard it I was like damn pretty good. But hearing the exact same kit in this song? I keep saying "hype" in between the drum hits like that girl's voice in BMF. Ugh

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The M.O.B said:
:(

You know the song isn't good when the best part is after they do their verses.

Kinda of disappointed in Ye.

Dear Lex, get yourself a new drum kit.
I'm disappointed in all of them and everything, but I blame it all on the terrible producer.

But the bolded makes me :(

Tokubetsu said:
Not even the same kit, the exact same bass placements and exact same drops/hits in the same goddamn places.

Probably the worst produced professional beat I've heard in a long, long time. Cringe inducing. Can't believe Kanye (or Jay for that matter) felt OK with this.

Angelus Errare said:
Exactly, it's the same kit =P

No. You can use different sounding drums and still use the same drum pattern. Saying it's the same drum kit means that the cymbals and snare etc (the actual tone and sound characteristics of the drums and cymbals ) are identical in all of his songs, as opposed to the pattern (where in the bar the bass, snare and cymbals are hitting) that he used them in.

TheLegendary said:
No. You can use different sounding drums and still use the same drum pattern. Saying it's the same drum kit means that the cymbals and snare etc are identical sounding (the actual tone and sound characteristics of the drums and cymbals are the same) as opposed to the pattern that he used them in.

Maybe I need to relisten to BMF but the drums are the same. Give me a minute to relisten to BMF and edit this post if I'm wrong.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Angelus Errare said:
Maybe I need to relisten to BMF but the drums are the same. Give me a minute to relisten to BMF and edit this post if I'm wrong.
The BMF drums sound the same, only the pattern is a bit slower. Someone needs to line em up. Soul creator?

Gift and a curse being a Kanye fan. Sometimes he does cool things, like does a collabo with Dipset, other times he's like yo Lex Luger is doooooope imma do a billion songs with him. also, the r3jects are dope as fuuuuuuuuck.

enzo_gt said:
fuck lex luger, fuck him to hell and fucking back.

let these n*ggas know who I aaaaaaaaaaaaam is the new loooooooooooove.

wenis check my link
:lol Soooo bad. Jay and Kanye were just all over the place. I guess even the greatest struggle.

Angelus Errare said:

To clarify (without being a stickler) saying the "drums are the same" is pretty vague. When you listen let me know if you're referring to the sound characteristics (aka the sound and timbre such as the recognizable "808 sound") or notation wise as far as it following the same pattern. I'm a drummer so forgive me :p

TheLegendary said:
To clarify (without being a stickler) saying the "drums are the same" is pretty vague. When you listen let me know if you're referring to the sound characteristics (aka the sound and timbre such as the recognizable "808 sound") or notation wise as far as it following the same pattern. I'm a drummer so forgive me :p

Same pattern and same sound (he calls that the "lex luger drums" so that's to be expected.) It's the same pattern for sure just different tempo. I'm not a drummer, so forgive me. I'm not too familiar with drummer talk =P I do produce music though.

enzo_gt said:
The BMF drums sound the same, only the pattern is a bit slower. Someone needs to line em up. Soul creator?

Gift and a curse being a Kanye fan. Sometimes he does cool things, like does a collabo with Dipset, other times he's like yo Lex Luger is doooooope imma do a billion songs with him. also, the r3jects are dope as fuuuuuuuuck.

Yeah he upped the tempo from BMF, but I swear it's the same drums, cymbal, snare.

And as a Kanye fan I rate this as one of the worst shits he's ever done, that and the collabo he did with Jin The MC. Granted he didn't rap on it, it was still bad. Beat was very throwaway.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Angelus Errare said:
Same pattern and same sound (he calls that the "lex luger drums" so that's to be expected.) It's the same pattern for sure just different tempo. I'm not a drummer, so forgive me. I'm not too familiar with drummer talk =P I do produce music though.

Yeah he upped the tempo from BMF, but I swear it's the same drums, cymbal, snare.

And as a Kanye fan I rate this as one of the worst shits he's ever done, that and the collabo he did with Jin The MC. Granted he didn't rap on it, it was still bad. Beat was very throwaway.
Why haven't I heard this. Or should I not?

Yousefb said:
Hmmm, quite disappointing :\
But with That's My Bitch and The Joy, there's still hope for this album!
I can't wait to hear That's My Bitch finished (and hopefully not given All Of The Lights treatment). That song goes hard as fuck, and Elly Jackson on the hook makes it oh so sweeter. You know what, the hook alone makes that song great.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Feels underproduced, like it doesn't bang hard enough. The lyrics get by well enough, but it has that kind of undercooked feel to it where a drum can sound like banging on a garbage can lid. Needs a little more BOOM bass to it. It sounds like all of the collaborators have a different way of getting hyped on this track, doesn't quite mesh. Just flat out needs something more to make it really kick.

Still excited for the record, but this single is just above passable for me.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Angelus Errare said:
Some people liked it, there was a rough version of Kanye rappin, but never released so all we have it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8pKh_uHIKI
Jin should have stuck to... well 106 and Park really.

This song is pretty much:
XxovF.gif

John Mayer is the beat.

Zel3

Angelus Errare said:
Jay-Z: N****s don't have my lady's money.

Son, Beyonce makes more a year than you. YOU don't even have your lady's money. :lol

She made more than Jay these last few years it doesn't mean she has more money than Jay. :lol

I'm riding out to this shit, but I think it's just the epic sample that gets to me, rest of the track is MEH.

Luger needs to stop recycling that drum pattern and that same 808 bass arrangement. Reminds me of dude that did the amilli beat using it for every fucking thing else. It's just lazy.

They should've got me to do the track :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom