• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West & Jay-Z present: Watch The Throne

Status
Not open for further replies.
runlikehell said:
The song ruins itself.
To me the beat is epic, Kanye does his thing, its building into something out of control then JayZ falls flat, because Jay rapping like bananas in a trash compactor. Then the beat nearly saved the whole thing in the end, this dat truth you cant get no where else, but aika's is always gonna keep it real son

Aika'svyse said:
To me the beat is epic, Kanye does his thing, its building into something out of control then JayZ falls flat, because Jay rapping like bananas in a trash compactor. Then the beat nearly saved the whole thing in the end, this dat truth you cant get no where else, but aika's is always gonna keep it real son
The flow feels really awkward for me and I agree with the other people that said it doesn't really suit Kanye. But then I liked him on Blazin' (the only good track on Nicki's album) so I feel hypocritical at the same time.

Oh, I forgot to leave my feelings over the track. Colonel of KanyeGAF here... =(

Eli reference = boss.

Song = shit.

PEACE GOD, CAUSE YOU KNOW A N*GGA JUST WENT HAM.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
roosters93 said:
My bad I meant civilize his beat. You know Lugers beats are pretty untamed and raw, mixtape sounding and all. Ye and Jay are not used to rapping on that shit at all. Or at least Jay hasn't in millennia.

enzo_gt said:
My bad I meant civilize his beat. You know Lugers beats are pretty untamed and raw, mixtape sounding and all. Ye and Jay are not used to rapping on that shit at all. Or at least Jay hasn't in millennia.

Mixtape sounding isn't the term, but I know what you mean.

Here's a mixtape Luger beat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJhp7QT0nJI

Here's an album Luger beat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2MVzP4MaJ0

....I know they sound the same, but the mixtape Luger beat doesn't go nearly as hard as BMF or MC Hammer or insert sound here. The quality of production is superior on the album tracks.

HAM's beat pales in comparison to BMF/MC Hammer, imo.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yeah mixtape sounding wasn't the right word but you get what I'm trying to say. Not their avenue at all. Especially for Ye. Can't remember the last time when Jay rapped on "that" kind of beat either.

Dartastic

At 2:30 in the song Jay sounds like he's holding his nose while he's rapping because he knows how much the song stinks.

I don't think it's that bad, actually, but it's definitely not GOOD, and it's not memorable at all. The beat is terrible. I actually like the choir thing, but yeah. Best part is the Eli reference. By far. :lol

YoungHav

Banned
enzo_gt said:
Some thoughts:

- The chorus isn't that bad, just.. they're so off tune.
- Kanye can't flow over the Luger beat properly, it's just unnatural to him, and he can't deal with the Luger drums and is trying to wrap his raps around them and it isn't working.. Jay's having trouble flowing too, though clearly not as much as Kanye.
- Hearing Jay-Z say WHO I AAAAAAAAAM and HAAAAAAAAAAM makes me want to drown him out with the sound of nails on a chalkboard.
- The Outro is pretty Sweet.
- Unlike Toku, I don't thing Kanye put his fingers into this beat, and that's not just cause I want to blame it all on fucking Lex Luger.
- Now I know why the cover was ridiculous with the dogs and shit.
- FUCK Lex Luger
- The beat during the chorus is 3x better than the beat during verses

inb4YoungHav
Sooner or later you'll all see who the prophet is. Jay-Z 1 Kanye 0. How many tracks are going to be on the album total?

Equus Bellator Apex

YoungHav said:
Sooner or later you'll all see who the prophet is. Jay-Z 1 Kanye 0. How many tracks are going to be on the album total?
215yc2_2.gif

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
It's really kind of offensive how much better the unfinished version of That's My Bitch is compared to this. The quality difference is undeniable. TMB shoulda been the single. This shoulda just been turned into a b-side parody of all the GOING HARD tracks you hear on the radio today. Kanye just lept past all of that with his last record, dunno why he felt the need to bite this trend now.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
SpeedingUptoStop said:
It's really kind of offensive how much better the unfinished version of That's My Bitch is compared to this. The quality difference is undeniable. TMB shoulda been the single. This shoulda just been turned into a b-side parody of all the GOING HARD tracks you hear on the radio today. Kanye just lept past all of that with his last record, dunno why he felt the need to bite this trend now.
Although the verses on That's My Bitch aren't the greatest thing in the world, it's a hell of a step up from this. Maybe we should spam Ye's twitter to make him do right.

Dartastic

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Truth.

I'm not a rap historian like some of you guys, but I know what sounds right. Jay had the worst verse on Monster and now this. Okay I liked the verse on Monster i take that back. I'm just thinking he's fell off like Eminem, but even not being the same Eminem is better than 90 percent of the people out there while Jay Z sounds like someones senile uncle would beat him in a street battle.

YoungHav

Banned
So is this Black-Hop GAF reporting? Are any white-hop "I don't listen to rap but just MBDTF" or "College Dropout was too urban" GAF in the house? This is a much more learned crowd than the MBDTF thread, I'm wondering what is responsible for the change in tone.

Sweedishrodeo

the smegma spreader
is ham confirmed to be on the album? maybe it will end up as a good friday type joint?

it sounds so forced, by both of them. quite the fine line between a mind bindingly sick jam and hollow boasting on a track these days.

effzee

Didn't think it was horrible but nothing special either. Jay Z outshines Kanye by a mile on this because he actually raps straight throughout.

effzee

Aika'svyse said:
Meet me some where

COME AT ME BRO!

Edit: but seriously Jay Z is 10 times the rapper Kanye is. Its true that Jay Z has put out a lot of mediocre material since the Black Album but cmon son as a pure rapper/lyricist Jay Z is in the top 10 of all time. Kanye is not even sniffing the top 20.

YoungHav

Banned
effzee said:
COME AT ME BRO!

Edit: but seriously Jay Z is 10 times the rapper Kanye is. Its true that Jay Z has put out a lot of mediocre material since the Black Album but cmon son as a pure rapper/lyricist Jay Z is in the top 10 of all time. Kanye is not even sniffing the top 20.
Son I been listening to rap music since 1992 and I agree.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
YoungHav said:
So is this Black-Hop GAF reporting? Are any white-hop "I don't listen to rap but just MBDTF" or "College Dropout was too urban" GAF in the house? This is a much more learned crowd than the MBDTF thread, I'm wondering what is responsible for the change in tone.
No, your actually a blind fool that still thinks Kanye fans can only dick ride instead of being critical.

KanyeGAF never changed. The change in tone is your preconceptions being hit hard in the face by reality.

YoungHav

Banned
enzo_gt said:
No, your actually a blind fool that still thinks Kanye fans can only dick ride instead of being critical.

KanyeGAF never changed. The change in tone is your preconceptions being hit hard in the face by reality.
Son you mad because Kanye is down by 1 point? I'm going to have a good time laughing at you when this whole album drops and your boy disappoints yet again. I saw that thread and there's nothing critical about "z0mg!! All of the lights is the greatest thing ever"... that song sucks. "My nigga dayyyyd *horns* and I'm so duuuumb *horns* the day is heeeere *horns* the night is yoooooung * horns*." what a dumb song and flow over it but its classic! LOL @ the song before Malcolm X speaks. That shit is trash, some 1990 house music reject.

Edit: It's Lost In The World

YoungHav said:

What the hell does being race have to do with views like that?

Oh, that's YoungHav ... nevermiiiindddd.

Edit: WHAT THE HELL @ POST ABOVE ME.

young-kanye-west-01.jpg

YoungHav

Banned
spindashing said:
What the hell does being race have to do with views like that?

Oh, that's YoungHav ... nevermiiiindddd.
I have posting styles depending on the race of the person I'm typing against. I dunno what the hell ya'll are here so its hard convincing you guys.

YoungHav said:
I have posting styles depending on the race of the person I'm typing against. I dunno what the hell ya'll are here so its hard convincing you guys.

Race should not even matter. You singled out white-hop there in a cliche fashion. I hope you do realize that there are black people that abhor hip-hop/rap music too, right?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
YoungHav said:
Son you mad because Kanye is down by 1 point? I'm going to have a good time laughing at you when this whole album drops and your boy disappoints yet again. I saw that thread and there's nothing critical about "z0mg!! All of the lights is the greatest thing ever"... that song sucks. "My nigga dayyyyd *horns* and I'm so duuuumb *horns* the day is heeeere *horns* the night is yoooooung * horns*." what a dumb song and flow over it but its classic! LOL @ the song before Malcolm X speaks. That shit is trash, some 1990 house music reject.

Edit: It's Lost In The World
Okay, by the rules so far, Jay's up 1 point, but you missed the point. And yeah, you clearly didn't read the MBDTF thread, you can see it in every MBDTF bashing post. Plenty of people had problems with the album, and we let that shit breathe in that thread. siddx/Shinobi come to mind. But they provided the lolz as well, and provided real reasons to dislike it.

Step your hating game up, making unfunny parodies isn't helping your case. And :lol @ Malcolm X.

YoungHav said:
Uh.. why is this important to have again?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Tokubetsu said:
So I'm extremely high and <strike>kinda drunk right now</strike> drunk as fuck....maybe H.A.M. isn't so bad?
Fail formatting solidifies your drunk.

And you think H.A.M. isn't that bad because all your hearing is processing right now is "I THINK IM BIG MEECH, LARRY HOOVER."

dvdjamm

I don't get it...MBDTF to this? it's OK up to when Jay does the chorus,but when he starts singing,they might as well fade to black...I figure that they were trying to do something different,but WOW...I was expecting something along the area of That's My Bitch or even Jockin' Jay-Z,but if the whole CD is like this,it will be called a joke.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Tokubetsu said:
So I'm extremely high and <strike>kinda drunk right now</strike> drunk as fuck....maybe H.A.M. isn't so bad?
I imagine it playing pretty well when you're drunk, yea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom