• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West & Jay-Z present: Watch The Throne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dabanton said:
This pic is from July this year.

Not liking the look of the entire leg area. Lets hope she's back to her best soon...

alicia_keys_fatsqb9.jpg

e6omir.gif

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
overcast said:
I've listened to Gotta Have It so much lately. That may be my favorite track.

Swizzy needs to shut his mouth when he is on a track.
what i learned from WTT:
you can let swizzy make beats, but don't let him near a mic.

Ashhong

DominoKid said:
bitch got thankles lmao.

lol.gif
at first i thought you meant cankles, then realized no, you meant thigh ankles lol. goddamn she looks terrible

but yea, gotta have it and even Otis have become 2 awesome tracks for me. Gotta Have It is just pure fun like Hate from BP3.

"blasting off like a laser, pew pew pew. db9 they go vroom vroom vroom" =

"(Racks on racks on racks, Maybachs on bachs on bachs on bachs)
Who in that? (Oh shit, it’s just blacks on blacks on blacks"

nib95

Banned
This is a good to very good album. But never nothing more than that. There are moments of greatness, but it's mixed together with mundane, ordinary or just good. Some songs verge on classic, but either a bad verse or some weird production keeps it from truly spectacular.

For me the only real classic song, one of the best hip hop tracks in years (for me personally) is Murder To Excellence. It's simply sublime. Poignant, different, important, lyrically strong and very well produced.

VaLiancY

overcast said:
I've listened to Gotta Have It so much lately. That may be my favorite track.

Swizzy needs to shut his mouth when he is on a track.

I love Swizzy beats but he needs to shut the fuck up on tracks. I remember when "Lord Lord Lord" came out there was a 2nd song a day later with his lyrics cut out. :lol

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Listened to this for a few days... Kanye took no chances. Bland and uninspired. It's alright. It's just not impressive. Disappointing.

The Otis video is great.

So im gunna have to say that my favorites of this album are:

lift off
niggas in paris
gotta have it
who gon stop me
made in america
why i love you

very good album. I think this might be slightly better than twisted fantasy

Tokubetsu said:
She had a fucking baby, like two months ago. Give her a break.

Um, did you notice where i asked if she was pregnant? I obviously didn't know that, and i could see a woman gaining weight when pregnant. Chill out.

VaLiancY said:
I love Swizzy beats but he needs to shut the fuck up on tracks. I remember when "Lord Lord Lord" came out there was a 2nd song a day later with his lyrics cut out. :lol
*SMH* at all the Swizzy hate up in here, especially when it comes to him lyrically! Shit must be going over people's heads and shit. Personally, I got all the time in the world for Swizzy to drop some knowledge on me, just like in the 'Lord Lord Lord' track:

AK on the lap like whats that
clik clak
this is something special
this is something new
All white Bentley I call that momma
my life crazy like Obama's
you talk slick well I'm Osama
Bin Laden, whats happenin' I get it crackin'
all black carpet, Ima rich yeah
its gonna take you a couple years to get this here
thank AP while they thank me
and I'd be mad too if you aint me
call me Mr D's or Mister boss
see me riding clean in a Rolls Royce
niggas talking funny that's old money
niggas looking crazy but they acting funny
nowadays rappers, they like bloggers
you see me I'ma bank hogger
coming through your hood and I brings trucks
with 25's on it like what the fuck
hundred feet and better why they fuck you stick
paparzzi on the water, why the fuck you stick
my face got the fuck you pricks
my beats go hard like fuck you dicks
pourin' champagne damn thing
sit there rockin' sway nigga in the damn ring
aint a damn thing, money aint a damn thing
ask Yeezy and Mos we do the god damn thing
get down to the precious lovers

Hating cause he's a bank hogger. He already told you he do the damn thing! AK on the lap and all of that!

Agent_J

i know athiest-GAF doesn't care, but jay-z and kanye are REALLY pushing an anti-religion agenda on this album. all kinds of blasphemy like mary magdeline on a stipper pole. not believing in god, because the beat is the religion. jay comparing himself to god and kanye to jesus. illuminati, etc.

to a god-fearing man like me, it disturbs me but at the same time, i know this is how many people act. they don't care about god anymore. tyler, the creator and odd gang future whatever are so satanic (omg they're just rapping right? lol) and people are following and listening to them so frequently it just saddens me.

Throavium

slick7rick said:
i know athiest-GAF doesn't care, but jay-z and kanye are REALLY pushing an anti-religion agenda on this album. all kinds of blasphemy like mary magdeline on a stipper pole. not believing in god, because the beat is the religion. jay comparing himself to god and kanye to jesus. illuminati, etc.

to a god-fearing man like me, it disturbs me but at the same time, i know this is how many people act. they don't care about god anymore. tyler, the creator and odd gang future whatever are so satanic (omg they're just rapping right? lol) and people are following and listening to them so frequently it just saddens me.
What significance does this hold?

slick7rick said:

he made Jesus walks, so he's never going to hell, sorry

slick7rick said:

lol this is neogaf dude

GQman2121

Banned
slick7rick said:

I feel you yo. I'm going to go HAM on some prayers for their sins.

Agent_J

what significance? have you ever listened to jay-z's music before this? or even kanye west?

college dropout was CLASSIC. full of humble stories, family, hustling to make ends meat, and self-conscious introspective. his next album was a watered down version of college dropout. he lost his way with the graduation album. he had nothing else to say, but he had great beats to produce.

jay-z came from the streets, but there is no street talk on watch the throne. he has no more stories to tell. as a hip hop listener, this whole album (lyrically) is garbage. if it were not for the amazing production, i wouldn't keep listening.

it's only my opinion, and i know collectively GAF doesn't give a fuck what i say. but i just want to speak my mind. rap is so dead right now. these two artists used to be soooooo fucking good.

DominoKid

slick7rick said:

and when Nas was 12 he went to hell for snuffin Jesus. its just words.

your point?

slick7rick said:
what significance? have you ever listened to jay-z's music before this? or even kanye west?

college dropout was CLASSIC. full of humble stories, family, hustling to make ends meat, and self-conscious introspective. his next album was a watered down version of college dropout. he lost his way with the graduation album. he had nothing else to say, but he had great beats to produce.

jay-z came from the streets, but there is no street talk on watch the throne. he has no more stories to tell. as a hip hop listener, this whole album (lyrically) is garbage. if it were not for the amazing production, i wouldn't keep listening.

it's only my opinion, and i know collectively GAF doesn't give a fuck what i say. but i just want to speak my mind. rap is so dead right now. these two artists used to be soooooo fucking good.

Hell, I'd even agree with a lot of this post. I don't see what any of this has to do with your "anti-religious lyrics omg!" post above though.

slick7rick said:
Swizz Beats (in Lord said:
ask Yeezy and Mos we do the god damn thing
:-O
I tried to tell everybody, Swizzy spits that true shit. He knows what's up slick7rick, he knows Kanye do the god damn(ing) thing too, we see you Kanye!

Throavium

slick7rick said:

Yes, Rap music is dead because Jay-Z and Kanye's styles have changed since when they first started rapping.

Throavium

slick7rick said:
i never said they killed rap. but they ain't helping. look at rap, collectively. look at who runs shit now. a fucking cop, rick ross. a fucking hipster wannabe, lil wayne. r&b rappers. white girls using saying nigga. 10 year olds using auto-tune getting millions of youtube hits. where is the real hip hop? don't mention indie rappers because they have NOTHING to say to me. where's the political rappers at? what happened to rappers like immortal technique who actually had SOMETHING to say? something to stand for?
Real Hip Hop?

slick, you should read Jay-Z's book (Decoded). I think you'll have a much greater appreciation of WTT after. It convinced me that Jay still has more than a little to say. And as to the religion part, well, that's opinion man--you can't fault them for what that message is just because you disagree with it. But regardless, that's only a part of it.

slick7rick said:
i never said they killed rap. but they ain't helping. look at rap, collectively. look at who runs shit now. a fucking cop, rick ross. a fucking hipster wannabe, lil wayne. r&b rappers. white girls using saying nigga. 10 year olds using auto-tune getting millions of youtube hits. where is the real hip hop? don't mention indie rappers because they have NOTHING to say to me. where's the political rappers at? what happened to rappers like immortal technique who actually had SOMETHING to say? something to stand for?

hip hop is dead. anyone that doesn't agree isn't seeing the big picture. look at the past, look at the present, and imagine the future. lyrically we went to the gutter, and now it's all techno club beats with a four word hook.

Immortal is trash, sorry.

nns3d

slick7rick said:

hip hop is dead. anyone that doesn't agree isn't seeing the big picture. look at the past, look at the present, and imagine the future. lyrically we went to the gutter, and now it's all techno club beats with a four word hook.

common-for-Xmas.jpg

I think the problem is that you're not digging deep enough into the genre. Yeah, I know you said that you don't want to dive into indie rap, but Immortal Technique is indie as well. A lot of commercial rappers with conscious lyrics don't perform as well as they used to (Nas' last 2 LPs using shock value in order to sell records). Guys like Blu or The Illz (his free album, "The Pursuit LP" is incredible, shoutout to GAF-Hop for pointing me towards a DL link!) sound like they're geared towards the hip hop that you're looking for.

Throavium

slick7rick said:
i've been listening to hip hop for all my life and i'm 25 now. i've seen a lot of changes. not knocking anyone's opinion, but the dude who said immortal is trash..? how is this trash? please do tell:

http://youtu.be/M72zVuBNpEA

or:

http://youtu.be/3u3JSEqNtlg

i'm all for recommendations, but even common is lacking now. did he not make a whole album with techno beats (universal shit something)? a lot of the indie rappers now are more emo than anything.
Again, why does this matter?

Immortal has the flow of a middle school battle rapper. That's great that he can recite a history book to a beat, but he's boring as hell. How many times has he recycled that one flow now? Does anybody have a number for that?

slick7rick said:
tyler, the creator and odd gang future whatever are so satanic (omg they're just rapping right? lol) and people are following and listening to them so frequently it just saddens me.
Lol, funny thing is that Odd Future is just putting on a front and does it to make fun of. They aren't really satanic and I believe one of the members is actually a christian..

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
slick7rick said:
i've been listening to hip hop for all my life and i'm 25 now. i've seen a lot of changes. not knocking anyone's opinion, but the dude who said immortal is trash..? how is this trash? please do tell:

http://youtu.be/M72zVuBNpEA

or:

http://youtu.be/3u3JSEqNtlg

i'm all for recommendations, but even common is lacking now. did he not make a whole album with techno beats (universal shit something)? a lot of the indie rappers now are more emo than anything. nas was one of my personal favorites (illmatic is full of hard-hitting hunger) but once he changed his religion from islam to chrisianity, he started his decline. his last two albums (3, if counting the damien marley album) were really good, but had too much wannabe shock value.

personally, i like political rap more than anything. since the 80s/early 90s rap hasn't been fulfilling in that regard.
If I've got this right, basically your not getting your fill of political lyrical rap and so you come into a Kanye West and Jay-Z thread to say that hip hop is dead because your sub-genre isn't as prominent as it once was a decade or so ago? What do you want? Ye and Jay to change their style to appease you? For them to make the same kind of music forever? Also fearing some anti-religious agenda from The Throne after Ye put out an album discussing his difficulties with religion doesn't make sense. Can you not enjoy music with religion as the topic unless it's pretty much preaching to you? Are criticisms or struggles with religion not welcome?

You dug a hole for yourself when you said you don't give a shit about indie rappers but do give a shit about "real hip hop." Your being ignorant of the entire genre and generalizing based upon who is most successful at the moment, and on a metric of how religious they are.

zychi

Banned
kind of random, but what version of jordan's is jayz wearing in the otis video? they look like the re-release of the original jordan's but i cant find the name of em.

e: nvermind theyre the retro air 1's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom