• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (OT 2?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashhong

Oozer3993 said:
Woopty Doo (ft. Big Sean & CyHi)

The iPhone 3GS can play Apple Lossless, so if you have the room on your phone for it, it's a good option.

Target looks to be the best brick and mortar place to pick up the physical copy. Normal is $8.99 and the deluxe is $13.99 I'll be buying a copy of the Deluxe first thing in the morning.

P.S. HOLY SHIT. Pitchfork gave the album a perfect 10.

HEY YOU. Been waiting for you to pop up. Did you see TSwizzle on the AMAwards tonight? Man she looked good with that hair. Yum

big ander

HOLY SHIT. A 10 on p4k? That's fucking insane.
I mean, I love the album, and I love pretty much every song. But there are imperfect parts (every second that annoying Minaj is on, Who Will Survive in America?).

And yeah, Sound of Silver was just as good as this. If not better. So was This Is Happening.

edit
andymcc said:
Time to Get Away
North American Scum
Watch the Tapes

if not terrible, they certainly do not fit with the rest of the album.
I adore each of those songs. And I feel like they fit.

andymcc

Banned
big ander said:
HOLY SHIT. A 10 on p4k? That's fucking insane.
I mean, I love the album, and I love pretty much every song. But there are imperfect parts (every second that annoying Minaj is on, Who Will Survive in America?).

And yeah, Sound of Silver was just as good as this. If not better. So was This Is Happening.

edit

I adore each of those songs. And I feel like they fit.

This is Happening destroys Sound of Silver. Most of the great songs on Sound of Silver should of been relegated to an EP.

HiResDes

Fuck look what you did...Don't start this shit guys :lol Yes I could name 50 albums that probably deserved 10's more, but I'm not going to start listing them...

Robot 492

Banned
HiResDes said:
Fuck look what you did...Don't start this shit guys :lol Yes I could name 50 albums that probably deserved 10's more, but I'm not going to start listing them...
I actually like Pitchfork, but as far as their reviews go (especially when it comes to hip-hop) ... yeah :lol

Oozer3993

HiResDes said:
Don't even start bitching about Pitchfork reviews, it's such a waste of time.

Music, a mode of creative expression consisting of sound and silence expressed through time, was given a 6.8 out of 10 rating in an review published Monday on Pitchfork Media, a well-known music-criticism website.

According to the review, authored by Pitchfork editor in chief Ryan Schreiber, the popular medium that predates the written word shows promise but nonetheless "leaves the listener wanting more."

"Music's first offering, an eclectic, disparate, but mostly functional compendium of influences from 5000 B.C. to present day, hints that this trend's time may not only have fully arrived, but is already on the wane," Schreiber wrote. "If music has any chance of keeping our interest, it's going to have to move beyond the same palatable but predictable notes, meters, melodies, tonalities, atonalities, timbres, and harmonies."

Schreiber's semi-favorable review, which begins in earnest after a six-paragraph preamble comprising a long list of baroquely rendered, seemingly unrelated anecdotes peppered with obscure references, summarizes music as a "solid but uninspired effort."

"Coming in at an exhausting 7,000 years long, music is weighed down by a few too many mid- tempo tunes, most notably 'Liebesträume No. 3 in A flat' by Franz Liszt and 'Closing Time' by '90s alt-rock group Semisonic," Schreiber wrote. "In the end, though music can be brilliant at times, the whole medium comes off as derivative of Pavement."

:lol :lol

Ashhong said:
HEY YOU. Been waiting for you to pop up. Did you see TSwizzle on the AMAwards tonight? Man she looked good with that hair. Yum

I totally forgot she was gonna be on the AMAs tonight. I was busy watching the MLS Cup.

0As2s.jpg

Damn, you weren't kidding. You know, I've been wanting to see her rock the ponytail, and she looks hot with it.

HiResDes

Discotheque said:
Isn't Lil Wayne like the hip hop god of Pitchfork or something?
Well they give good reviews to the likes of Waka Flocka, Gucci, etc...While more underground albums like Gutter Water were rated average.

@TS Pic: I don't find her very attractive either, but am feeling that ponytail. She looks less like an innocent with that.

Ashhong

Oozer3993 said:
I totally forgot she was gonna be on the AMAs tonight. I was busy watching the MLS Cup.

http://imgur.com/0As2s.jpg[IMG]

Damn, you weren't kidding. You know, I've been wanting to see her rock the ponytail, and she looks hot with it.[/QUOTE]

[url]http://dai.ly/dwpmIK[/url]

Here's her performance. She looked damn good, until she stood up and sang to the crowd. Looked awkward as hell to me. And you put Justice in your avatar rotation?? Shame on you...

And I liked their review. I know I'm a stan and all, but it was the first review to really go into the meaning behind it's song and actually analyze the message. They "get" this album.

HiResDes said:
Well they give good reviews to the likes of Waka Flocka, Gucci, etc...While more underground albums like Gutter Water were rated average.

@TS Pic: I don't find her very attractive either, but am feeling that ponytail. She looks less like an innocent with that.
damn. they gave Little Brother's The Minstrel Show a 6.0. but Wacka got an 8.0.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Ashhong said:
http://dai.ly/dwpmIK

Here's her performance. She looked damn good, until she stood up and sang to the crowd. Looked awkward as hell to me. And you put Justice in your avatar rotation?? Shame on you...
is it me, or does she look like Nina from Tekken?

HiResDes

Oh I don't think people really understand the religious contemplation going on throughout the album...Hell of a Life, Devil a New Dress, Runaway, Dark Fantasy, Lost in the World all seem to have an undertone of religious ambivalence.

Oh and I just realized how good Hell of a Life sounds in a car with some good speakers today :D :D...It really boosts the song up to another level.

big ander

andymcc said:
This is Happening destroys Sound of Silver. Most of the great songs on Sound of Silver should of been relegated to an EP.
Agreed that TiH is way better, but I still love Sound of Silver.

I'm sure this has been done in this topic already, but what cover are you guys using?
I'm using:
kanye4.png

Robot 492

Banned
big ander said:

I'm sure this has been done in this topic already, but what cover are you guys using?
I'm using:
http://www.prefixmag.com/site_media/uploads/images/posts/k/kanye4.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
this one:

[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/f9/Kanye_West_My_Beautiful_Dark_Twisted_Fantasy_album_cover.png/220px-Kanye_West_My_Beautiful_Dark_Twisted_Fantasy_album_cover.png

edit: I can't stop staring at your avatar :p

big ander

nskinnear said:
this one:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/f9/Kanye_West_My_Beautiful_Dark_Twisted_Fantasy_album_cover.png/220px-Kanye_West_My_Beautiful_Dark_Twisted_Fantasy_album_cover.png[IMG]

edit: I can't stop staring at your avatar :p[/QUOTE]
:D
I'm using that cover for some of my GOOD Fridays tracks.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Where in the hell is the GOOD friday track. WE getting a monday drop to coincide with the album release? Kanye has been MIA from twitter for a while too.

FilthyLies said:
No Mama's boyfriend as a bonus track?

iTunes is listing See Me Now as the only bonus track on both versions :(
Yeah those tracks never actually appeared. I feel less bad about getting a real copy now. Also, chain heavy was a GOOD friday. Guessing we will see him leak the tracks eventually.

That Pitchfork review is more of a psychological analysis than a review, not to mention the lore building - Kanye's "exile" after the Swift incident seems to be this generation's version of the chaos that led to the White Album or the desperation that created Exile On Main St. Hell maybe I should write for them.

I pretty much agree though. I'd give it a 8.9. Besides, Kanye giving Prynce CyPha 16 bars instead of RZA is enough to deny it a perfect rating ha

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Discotheque said:
OMG, I never found her attractive.

....but dat ponytail :O
Agreed, she looks at least 5 years older than usual in that pic. Normally she looks too.. off.
Ashhong said:
Oh my god, what have you done Ashhong, your letting Creepy thread #1 seep into this thread. :lol

big ander said:

I'm using:
kanye4.png
Definitely will be using this one.

HiResDes said:
Naw, not really just joking really.

This guys seems kinda mad tho:

:lol

nope not mad. telling someone to shut up when they say something dumb doesn't = mad. you shouldn't try to read between the lines.

andymcc

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
That Pitchfork review is more of a psychological analysis than a review, not to mention the lore building - Kanye's "exile" after the Swift incident seems to be this generation's version of the chaos that led to the White Album or the desperation that created Exile On Main St. Hell maybe I should write for them.

I pretty much agree though. I'd give it a 8.9. Besides, Kanye giving Prynce CyPha 16 bars instead of RZA is enough to deny it a perfect rating ha

that's like saying "i'd give the white album an 8.9 on the sole basis that they gave ringo two songs"... every album, even the seemingly perfect ones, has it's own missteps or blemishes.

andymcc said:
that's like saying "i'd give the white album an 8.9 on the sole basis that they gave ringo two songs"... every album, even the seemingly perfect ones, has it's own missteps or blemishes.

except this is far from perfect (blemishes or not). It's not even Kanye's best album.

Fucking Ridiculous!

It's fucking brilliant, this album is.

And it's funny i'm saying this, because I had once despised Kanye's recent music such as "808s". Wasn't a fan of most of his previous music either.

These days though, he's reached a new type of brilliance in my opinion, and i'm glad he's beginning to rekindle his career as a fellow entertainer and music producer.

Enjoyed Lost in the World, All of the lights, and Power.

Gonna look into buying this soon off of Amazon. Good Job Kanye. Keep this shit up. :)

andymcc

Banned
Discotheque said:
except this is far from perfect (blemishes or not). It's not even Kanye's best album.

Fucking Ridiculous!

i think it's way better than every other kanye album. i know a lot of people have large amounts of nostalgia tied to albums like College Dropout or Late Registration, but those albums have some severely bloated tracklists. even when you disregard the retarded skits from those albums, they both have their fair share of weak songs.

Eh I'm not with you on that one. Also it really irks me when you get 3 WHOLE minutes of bullshit at the end of Runaway. Nobody can actually tell me they liked that crap, even if 808s was loved by them.

Much worse than those skits you didn't like.

mozfan12

Banned
This might be my favorite album of the year next to Beach House's Teen Dream, some of the main criticisms with the album are the length of the songs but Im really digging the seven to nine minute tracks.

HiResDes

Did you really come in here to nitpick at Pitchfork's revew...Let's put things in perspective in comparison to Waka Flocka's album which they gave an 8, Kanye's album most definitely is a ten :lol

big ander

I think this is a fantastic album. I don't remember his older stuff well enough to compare it. But I'm not much of a hip-hop guy. And yet, this might be my favorite album of the year.

And I do love the end of Runaway.

andymcc

Banned
Discotheque said:
Eh I'm not with you on that one. Also it really irks me when you get 3 WHOLE minutes of bullshit at the end of Runaway. Nobody can actually tell me they liked that crap, even if 808s was loved by them.

Much worse than those skits you didn't like.

much worse than a fucking BRANDY song or a hook by ludacris?

i do like the outro to runaway.

Yeah I don't have problems with Pitchfork's review any more now that you guys put it in perspective.

My problems lie more in other people calling it a perfect album. I don't respect personal preference. Nope not at all. And also OMG so appalled is so good.

If Ghostface's album doesn't come through this year, this may just be track of the year (rap)

Ashhong

HiResDes said:
Did you really come in here to nitpick at Pitchfork's revew...Let's put things in perspective in comparison to Waka Flocka's album which they gave an 8, Kanye's album most definitely is a ten :lol

With this logic Kanye's album is like a 15 :lol

HiResDes

Oh no it's certainly not perfect, but most feature-heavy hip-hop albums aren't...Illmatic is pretty much flawless because it's toned down and Nas kept the features to a minimum. However, Kanye's album should receive its due simply for being one of the most ambitious hip-hop albums ever made. I feel as if it's highs are as high as hip-hop album ever made, even if it lacks the consistency of classics like Illmatic, Reasonable Doubt, or even TCD.

Hip-Hop track of the year? I'd have to give it to Shad's Rose Garden.

mozfan12

Banned
The big problem with the p4k review is that its not even an album review, its basically an love letter to the myth of kanye. Its absolutely ridicolous when there is so much substance in the album that could be discussed, and this is coming from a person who loves p4k. There is no critical discussion of the album until nearly the end, and in that sense the hate is more than justified.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom