• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (OT 2?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiResDes

mozfan12 said:
The big problem with the p4k review is that its not even an album review, its basically an love letter to the myth of kanye. Its absolutely ridicolous when there is so much substance in the album that could be discussed, and this is coming from a person who loves p4k. There is no critical discussion of the album until nearly the end, and in that sense the hate is more than justified.
Hey all of their reviews have been rather shit lately...The Lady Killer review sounds like they are going to give the album a 9, and yet they rob Cee-Lo with a 7.3.

Honestly, I'd probably give Recovery in between a 5 and a 6.

big ander

Ugh. Fair warning to anyone downloading off of Amazon, the organization of the files they give you fucking sucks, at least if you're compulsive like me. Putting [EXPLICIT] after every song is nowhere close to necessary, Amazon. And you really don't need to retitle the album to "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy [Explicit] [+video] [+digital booklet]".

they only shit on eminem cause they knew it wouldn't offend their particular fanbase.

lord knows recovery is mediocre but a 2.8 just reeks of them trying to take some kind of weird stand

ant1532

Banned
GoodMorning said:
will be using this cover
CyPWu.jpg
i wish dude. it got replaced.
http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/11/kanye_george_condo.html#photo=6x70154

I'm not joking here, but black people are pretty much responsible for like every form of music.

Hell, I think Beethoven and the rest of those mufuckas were black too.

Still I see absolutely no reason why that is somehow an insult to Rolling Stones. They were a great rock n roll band.

The point I'm trying to make is....lcd soundsystem is an insult to electronic music.

andymcc

Banned
brianjones said:
oh yeah i forgot black people are credited with everything involving a guitar

whenever the band you have in your username padded most of their shitty early albums with covers of black songs, it becomes pretty obvious that they are indeed a derivative of black people music. :)

Discotheque said:
Still I see absolutely no reason why that is somehow an insult to Rolling Stones. They were a great rock n roll band.

i don't disagree with this statement at all. i'm just combating his broad, sweeping generalizations with my own broad, sweeping generalizations.

andymcc said:
certainly better than shit like "Out of Our Heads".

lol ok.. i'm pretty sure satisfaction is greater than anything lcd soundsystem will ever produce.

they're boring as shit.

and yes, the stones were fans of r&b and blues. why is that a crime exactly?

andymcc

Banned
brianjones said:
lol ok.. i'm pretty sure satisfaction is greater than anything lcd soundsystem will ever produce.

they're boring as shit.

and yes, the stones were fans of r&b and blues. why is that a crime exactly?

the stones early shit is the very definition of boring-as-shit r&b blues covers?

what, because i have a keith richards icon i think everything they did was perfect?

they've sucked since the early 70s too whats your point?

Chris R

I've always liked what I've heard from West (singles, collaborations, production credits, ect), but this is the first time I've bought one of his albums. $4 on Amazon was too good to not get after seeing him on SNL awhile back. Hope it is good (if it is I'll probably end up with his entire catalog :lol )

andymcc

Banned
brianjones said:
what, because i have a keith richards icon i think everything they did was perfect?

they've sucked since the early 70s too whats your point?

well, to be fair, brian jones, the person who your username is obviously based from, died prior to the bands great albums. (Sticky Fingers and Exile...)

point is, you make tons of generalizations about music whenever your taste isn't exactly above criticism.

andymcc said:
well, to be fair, brian jones, the person who your username is obviously based from, died prior to the bands great albums. (Sticky Fingers and Exile...)

point is, you make tons of generalizations about music whenever your taste isn't exactly above criticism.

actually their great albums started with beggars banquet but anyway..

of course, nobody's taste is "above criticism" but i never thought somebody would try to use the stones against another person lol

to get back on topic

andymcc said:
i think it's way better than every other kanye album. i know a lot of people have large amounts of nostalgia tied to albums like College Dropout or Late Registration, but those albums have some severely bloated tracklists. even when you disregard the retarded skits from those albums, they both have their fair share of weak songs.

late registration is actually only 2 minutes longer than this album if wiki is to be trusted

i personally would agree with allmusics rating of this album at 4/5 equal to late registration but not quite college dropout

andymcc

Banned
brianjones said:
actually their great albums started with beggars banquet but anyway..

of course, nobody's taste is "above criticism" but i never thought somebody would try to use the stones against another person lol

to get back on topic

late registration is actually only 2 minutes longer than this album if wiki is to be trusted

i personally would agree with allmusics rating of this album at 4/5 equal to late registration but not quite college dropout
that doesn't discount the fact the late registration is rife with awful skits and a song by brandy.

college dropout has filler skits and some pretty awful guest spots. as the gaming side typically says, rose-tinted glasses. (perhaps rose-tinted earbuds?)

again, I merely used the stones as an over-generalization as you typically do in all musically related arguments but whatever.

TheOddOne

andymcc said:
that doesn't discount the fact the late registration is rife with awful skits and a song by brandy.

college dropout has filler skits and some pretty awful guest spots. as the gaming side typically says, rose-tinted glasses. (perhaps rose-tinted earbuds?)

again, I merely used the stones as an over-generalization as you typically do in all musically related arguments but whatever.
Even when you go listen The College Dropout is still has its own magic and al the skits works well in the album structure.

The first half of Late Registration is pitch perfect, but the second half has too many skits and the album losses its steam.

RJT

ant1532 said:
Thanks for the Link.

A quote from a Kanye article there:
The album would be honest about the way men knowingly blunder into mistakes and then try to fix them afterward. “Instead of being preventive … that’s just the asshole way of being,” says rapper Pusha T. “I had to write my verse four times, He kept asking for more douchebag. That was his chant: I need more douchebag!”
I love how Kanye really puts an effort into making songs. Not just having the best beat and the best verses, he makes songs. That's the thing most hiphop needs to learn.

dvdjamm

Amazon offers a Free Amazon $3 MP3 Download Credit when you enter code GET3MP3S. Offer is valid through Nov 29, 2010.

Enter code GET3MP3S
Select the download(s) of your choice
Proceed through checkout

Kanye West - MBDTF is going for $3.99...$0.99 when you add the code...

And i'm still getting the CD

Called that perfect 10, p4k loves Ye so much.

I think it's well deserved, lots of work was put into this album. I mean, I'd probably give it a 9.5ish, but a 10 is still within reach just because it just embodies this whole year for Kanye in one nice album.

Holy shit another promo code? And that gives me 4 bucks again. This thread doesn't look too Kanye but now I can get the Taylor Swift album for free. I got Teflon Don for free and now I get that sweet ass of Taylor being emotional and making Kanye look bad. How does it feel that I supported Taylor and Kanye?!

Silly KanyeGAF and your GOODFridays.

Ashhong

Just want to say that this album in home theater with surround sound is even better, especially Dark Fantasy. Hearing the "so hiiiigh, can we get much higherr" all around you as Kanye raps in the front channels is great.

Ashhong said:
Just want to say that this album in home theater with surround sound is even better, especially Dark Fantasy. Hearing the "so hiiiigh, can we get much higherr" all around you as Kanye raps in the front channels is great.
I am jealous of your set-up.

Ashhong

runlikehell said:
I am jealous of your set-up.

Actually my sisters. I'm house sitting and blasting Kanye at 5am because nobody is home. Speakers in the ceiling, sub in the back, and a main front channel. Good shit. I will say this though, I hear some static from the front channel almost whenever Kanye raps. Not sure if I should blame intentional distortion or the speakers..

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
p4k have a hard on for Kanye and Radiohead. You know they are never giving both a shit rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom