• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (OT 2?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashhong

Bishman said:
$0.99 for the album on amazon!

I am still going to buy the physical copy. Where can I buy the album with all the covers and amazing artwork?

Any CD you buy comes with the artwork. The difference with the Deluxe version that you can get anywhere, including Amazon, is that you can substitute the ballerina cover with any of the other artworks. If you buy the regular version you are stuck with ballerina.

Something I want to point out. When Kanye performs Lost in the World, whether at Facebook before the album or in the videos above, he says "mama say mama say mama Donda's son". On the album I hear "mama say mama say mama maku san". Is it my ears? Wonder why he did that

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ashhong said:
Any CD you buy comes with the artwork. The difference with the Deluxe version that you can get anywhere, including Amazon, is that you can substitute the ballerina cover with any of the other artworks. If you buy the regular version you are stuck with ballerina.

Something I want to point out. When Kanye performs Lost in the World, whether at Facebook before the album or in the videos above, he says "mama say mama say mama Donda's son". On the album I hear "mama say mama say mama maku san". Is it my ears? Wonder why he did that
Yeah, that changed back with the Runaway version. I don't know the reasoning behind this. The song probably took a different form than Kanye intended and he dropped his moms name out of it.

Oozer3993

Ashhong said:
Didn't know anybody wanted it. I was waiting for the album to come out as I was hoping the DVD would be higher quality, but I've heard its even worse than the HD one on his site. I'll rerip it and try to make it fade out like the All of the Lights Interlude in a day or 2.

And OOZER, the Runaway DVD has both Monster and Hell of a Life on it. I forgot which is which, but it depends on how you press PLAY. It changes depending on if you choose nonstop or whatever, or single play.

Oh cool. I was confused because the liner notes only mention Hell of a Life. But they also call "Dark Fantasy" "Dark Twisted" so it's not surprising they forgot something.

Ashhong said:

No he changed it. I saw it pointed out in the Pitchfork review:

Pitchfork said:
At Facebook, he rapped the first verse of what would become album closer "Lost in the World", at one point changing Michael Jackson's "Wanna Be Startin' Something" refrain to, "Mama-say mama-sah Mama Donda's son," referring to his late mother. The familial allusion was left off the album.

P.S. According to Rolling Stone, the female voice in That's My Bitch is Elly Jackson.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I listened to That's My Bitch 31 times today. THIRTY ONE TIMES. That chorus is going to be my new ringtone soon.

Its so unfinished but I love it so much.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Album of the year.

Holy fucking shit this is amazing.

3 months ago if you told me Power would be one of the weaker tracks when this dropped I would have laughed in your face. Holy shit.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
SpeedingUptoStop said:
Is the "something somthing" bit actually unfinished? Shit, that sounded perfectly acceptable to me.:lol :lol :lol
He sounds so angry mumbling that :lol

StoOgE said:
Album of the year.

3 months ago if you told me Power would be one of the weaker tracks when this dropped I would have laughed in your face. Holy shit.
Power is one of the stronger tracks actually. Though really "stronger" is so god damn relative with this album.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
enzo_gt said:
Power is one of the stronger tracks actually. Though really "stronger" is so god damn relative with this album.

All the Lights
Runaway
Blame Game
Lost in the World
Who will survive in america

are all stronger than power in my opinion.

I think the weakest track is Hell of a Life, but even that is a pretty damn good song by most standards.

Ashhong

Oozer3993 said:
Oh cool. I was confused because the liner notes only mention Hell of a Life. But they also call "Dark Fantasy" "Dark Twisted" so it's not surprising they forgot something.

No he changed it. I saw it pointed out in the Pitchfork review:

P.S. According to Rolling Stone, the female voice in That's My Bitch is Elly Jackson.

Yea I know he changed it, but then in that recent performance that you just linked, he said "Donda's son" so I'm just wondering why he seems to go back and forth. Lets see what he says at Macys Parade! lol

ep85

Dubbedinenglish said:
Okay got to finally sit down and listen to the album...Man was I not ready for Lost in the World...Holy shit.
I almost shed a tear when I first heard Lost in the World.

NYR

StoOgE said:
Album of the year.

Great post, agree 100%.

Ashhong

Alright, so my Apple Lossless rip is a fucking 450MB album :lol That's just too much for me since I'm constantly trimming music on my iPod. Is 320kbps pretty much the same quality to a normal ear? Specifically in a car setting?

Acid08

Banned
Ashhong said:
Alright, so my Apple Lossless rip is a fucking 450MB album :lol That's just too much for me since I'm constantly trimming music on my iPod. Is 320kbps pretty much the same quality to a normal ear? Specifically in a car setting?
Get a bigger iPod :p. I recently got a 160GB Classic and I love it. Cheaper than most other ipods and more than twice the storage of the largest Touch. I love having EVERYTHING I own on me at all times.

Ashhong

Acid08 said:
Get a bigger iPod :p. I recently got a 160GB Classic and I love it. Cheaper than most other ipods and more than twice the storage of the largest Touch. I love having EVERYTHING I own on me at all times.

I was thinking of doing that, buy my iPod is used solely in my car's Pioneer system, and I think I read that it has issues reading from Classics. I'm rolling with a 30gb video :(

SUPREME1

Banned
crystalhead-vodka.jpg

^A few shots of that and midway through the album. Probably my 7th listen and it's getting more amazing with every listen. Still a little worried about where Kanye is in his life right now. Hope he can get thru what he's dealing with and can find a more positive place.

Acid08

Banned
Ashhong said:
I was thinking of doing that, buy my iPod is used solely in my car's Pioneer system, and I think I read that it has issues reading from Classics. I'm rolling with a 30gb video :(
Before my Classic I had an 8GB Touch, that thing was such a bitch to keep rolling music on and off of especially since I have more than 30gb's of music.

ImperialConquest said:
crystalhead-vodka.jpg

^A few shots of that and midway through the album. Probably my 7th listen and it's getting more amazing with every listen. Still a little worried about where Kanye is in his life right now. Hope he can get thru what he's dealing with and can find a more positive place.
it will continue to get amazing, bro. this album is on a different level.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
For anybody that wanted the Power song with the interlude (from the Runaway film) at the beginning mixed in with the real Power song I got it for you. This is the first time I've done this before, but it sounds nice to me.

I hope some of you guys like it. It's 320 kbps (dat good shit)

03 Power.mp3 - 14.72MB

Swag

Hachimaki said:
I was wondering this earlier do you guys think Kanye will ever have kids?

When he feels like he can settle down, probably. I think it's the same way with Jay Z and Beyonce, too busy currently to have kids.

Hachimaki said:
I was wondering this earlier do you guys think Kanye will ever have kids?

Son Ima let you finish but my 3rd grade vinegar volcano science project was the greatest of all time....of all time. :lol

Anyone know what time he is performing on the today show? I dont want to wait and watch the rest of their programing.

soundscream said:
Son Ima let you finish but my 3rd grade vinegar volcano science project was the greatest of all time....of all time. :lol

Anyone know what time he is performing on the today show? I dont want to wait and watch the rest of their programing.

Didn't he say he was ditching the today show

Man, online store I bought the album from is backed up to hell. The only reason I bought it online was because I wouldn't be going passed any stores until today (Thursday) and they haven't even sent the shit out yet.

I'm So Appalled :(

h3ro

toasty_T said:
Man, online store I bought the album from is backed up to hell. The only reason I bought it online was because I wouldn't be going passed any stores until today (Thursday) and they haven't even sent the shit out yet.

its rediculous

CRS

toasty_T said:

Should have bought it from Jay-Z's mall. I hear he has a lot in stock.

soul creator said:
added some more variations on the hooks. I guess I'll take over blame space's spot, lol.

spindashing? There's 40 bars at the end left over!

I claim 16 bars, I'll have it in by tonight/tomorrow. I thought Ashhong wasn't going to rap? His 10 bars throw me off :lol

Got a mic too, I'll just need the necessary programs since I usually just use Audacity when I mess around with friends. Or if that's what you guys use ... :lol

spindashing said:
I claim 16 bars, I'll have it in by tonight/tomorrow. I thought Ashhong wasn't going to rap? His 10 bars throw me off :lol

Got a mic too, I'll just need the necessary programs since I usually just use Audacity when I mess around with friends. Or if that's what you guys use ... :lol

hah, yeah I use Audacity as well. I just find an existing beat, import it into there, and then record over it.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Lost in the World really grew on me, not sure if fave but definitely in the top 2.

Ashhong

spindashing said:

I forgot that my lines were still on there :lol Deleted that shit.

I know there's been some discussion with regard to how the album version of some of the tracks sound vs their single counterparts( ie. Monster), but has anyone noticed a slight change in the drum beat for "Lost in the World?"

The change I've noticed is from the Runaway short film version. I've been listening to the short film version of LITW and prefer that over the album version.

I know songs are sometimes tweaked here and there. Anyone else notice the slight change in the drum scheme? Thanks!

Kusagari

Some projections are in and Kanye's projected to sell between 525-575k for this first week. Nicki's is projected to sell 375-425k which surprises me. Didn't expect her to do that well.

Recon

Banned
spindashing said:

I dont know what anyone else uses, but i use garageband, MXL Condenser mic, running through an Omega Mixer.

Lost In The World is a sick sick sick track. The build up for the first minute is so good. I wish I could subtract 3 minutes from Blame Game, and 3 from Runaway, and make Lost In The World 6 minutes longer.

Prine

Banned
This is amazing. Quick question...

On the track So Appalled... Kanye says

"That was a little joke, Voila!
Praises due to the most high, Allah"

Is he muslim? I was like WTF!

I LOVE RZA verse... so much energy :lol

I dont know if this is as good as College Dropout, i still have that in rotation, but its certainly the strongest album since then. And the others were great to good.

Well done, Kanye remains as my favorite producer out there. The guy has too much talent.

Edit: Devil in a new dress is the weakest so far. And im not a fan of the big boss Ricky Ross.

Edit 2: Lost in the World is EPIC!!! - Wow

Prine

Banned
RJT said:
I love how Rae's verse has almost no explanations. That verse really wasn't necessary after three great verses from Kanye. It just reinforced why I never liked Raekwon, except for his CREAM verse. Yeah, I said it. Definitely the worst Wu member.

GTFO. No seriously.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Smokey said:
I'm failing to understand how Lost in the World is getting the praise it's getting...?
What's so hard to understand? What do you dislike about the song?
Prine said:
This is amazing. Quick question...

On the track So Appalled... Kanye says

"That was a little joke, Voila!
Praises due to the most high, Allah"

Is he muslim? I was like WTF!
Seriously, I've been meaning to ask this too, devout Christian or a new Muslim? Or maybe he just respects all religions (or those two at least :lol ) equally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom