• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (OT 2?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
YoungHav said:
It's witty to me, Kanye's delivery on the line is corny. Give me examples of lines that you consider witty. For every line I'm impressed with there are 8 more that I find cheesy, corny, or cringeworthy, which is why I don't consider Kanye a lyricist. Not on Jay, Nas, Common, Lupe, Mos Def's level etc...

and I don't know why Kanye, lyrics, and all time are even in the same sentence.

I agree. As much as people might like Kanye's albums as a WHOLE, the guy isn't anywhere close to the top tier of lyricists. He says a TON of corny stuff, and his delivery tends to veer in the same direction a lot of the time.

Ashhong said:
I don't know what the track separation has to do with the number of songs on the CD. The CD is limited by time, not track numbers :lol I'm going to assume you were semi joking =P

oh shit youre right :lol i feel effing silly right now

yeah i always assumed it was however many tracks the artist wanted to put in but now actually counting the time for albums with a longer tracklist, they all hover around 70 mins or so.

:p derp

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Prine said:
This is amazing. Quick question...

On the track So Appalled... Kanye says

"That was a little joke, Voila!
Praises due to the most high, Allah"

Is he muslim? I was like WTF!

I LOVE RZA verse... so much energy :lol

I dont know if this is as good as College Dropout, i still have that in rotation, but its certainly the strongest album since then. And the others were great to good.

Well done, Kanye remains as my favorite producer out there. The guy has too much talent.

Edit: Devil in a new dress is the weakest so far. And im not a fan of the big boss Ricky Ross.

Edit 2: Lost in the World is EPIC!!! - Wow

Devil in a New Dress is an AMAZING song. Especailly when the beat changes up at the end and Rick Ross comes on.

Net_Wrecker said:
I agree. As much as people might like Kanye's albums as a WHOLE, the guy isn't anywhere close to the top tier of lyricists. He says a TON of corny stuff, and his delivery tends to veer in the same direction a lot of the time.

Yeah, I'm a Kanye stan and even I can admit he's not on that lyrical level. He does make good lines, but he's not on that tier of lyricists yet.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
he more than makes up for it with his insane production skills, and it's not like he is a terrible lyricist.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Net_Wrecker said:
Corny? Tongue in cheek I'd call it. MC Hammer is corny, Vanilla Ice is corny, Mr. West is not corny. And I'd separate those lyricists you listed into multiple tiers, but like I said in my original post, not the top tier. More of a respectable lyricist than one thats not a lyricist at all.

Flynn

Error said:
he more than makes up for it with his insane production skills, and it's not like he is a terrible lyricist.

Taste is not a bad replacement for talent.

I didn't read the whole thread, but did anybody confirm if those Madlib beats made it onto the record?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Flynn said:

I didn't read the whole thread, but did anybody confirm if those Madlib beats made it onto the record?
The madlib beats had songs made out of them but those were scrapped. I forget what happened to those songs but a recent article addressed what happened to the madlib songs.

Oozer3993

Flynn said:

None of them made the album. At one point Momma's Boyfriend had a Madlib beat, but it was scrapped:

Complex said:
And when he hits a creative wall, as he does this evening, he heads to another studio room to make progress on another song. In this case, it's upstairs to check in on Q-Tip, who is syncing a beat he'd made to an acappella Kanye laid for a song called "My Momma's Boyfriend." Kanye had spit it to a Madlib beat, but didn't feel like it was the right fit, so Tip is fitting a new track around the words.

That means there are 3 versions of Momma's Boyfriend: Madlib's, Q-Tip's, and Soulja Boy's.

PBY

Banned
Oozer3993 said:
None of them made the album. At one point Momma's Boyfriend had a Madlib beat, but it was scrapped:

That means there are 3 versions of Momma's Boyfriend: Madlib's, Q-Tip's, and Soulja Boy's.
If Ye releases the Soulja Boi produced version, instead of Q Tip or Madlib's....

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
DominoKid said:
then that means Soulja Boy's is fucking awesome and Tip/Lib should be ashamed that they got outdone by Soulja Boy.
According to Ye ofcourse. And then Madlib/Q-Tip fans will hate Ye forever for choosing the Soulja Boy beat.

But really I don't care for Mama's Boyfriend anymore. I want Ye to get up and release That's My Bitch as a G.O.O.D. Friday track tonight.

Today (or tomorrow :lol ) will be the deciding factor on whether G.O.O.D. Fridays continue to the end of the year.

enzo_gt said:
But really I don't care for Mama's Boyfriend anymore. I want Ye to get up and release That's My Bitch as a G.O.O.D. Friday track tonight.

Today (or tomorrow :lol ) will be the deciding factor on whether G.O.O.D. Fridays continue to the end of the year.
You are not in the family circle anymore.

Love the album. I've been a Kanye fan from the beginning with his first album being my favorite. Liked his second album quite a bit, liked the third but not quite as catchy as a whole, didn't really get into 808's, but I'm in love with the new stuff. Great all around.

Dabanton

enzo_gt said:
I'm going to assume OB4CL1 is better. And no I haven't listened to the original purple tape.

Kanye's 10 min Speech + Parts of Live Performance of My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
100,000 first day, digital alone. Slated to do 600,000 first week.

"If I wasn't drunk, I WOULD HAVE BEEN ON STAGE LONGER!"

Damn, Ye snapped. Yes he covers everything he did in every interview so far, but he did it this time pissed.

Just watched this.

And i'd like to say a big fuck you to that spoilt horrible little cow Taylor Swift, she basically tried to throw him under the bus, then her little stunt this year with her bullshit song at the VMA's she played up the innocent little white girl role to perfection. She thought she had the final word refuse any contact with him and make him look like the big bad black man.

But Kanye basically said yes i'm an asshole and here's a song that illustrates that best i noticed the turaround right then at the VMA's before that even on here how many people were like "his an idiot" and hoping that his career was over because he got up on stage and said a result was wrong.

Now look, the music press are back on his nuts after they also tried to take him down MTV will no doubt crawl back to him as well.

Who will survive in America indeed.

Oozer3993

Dabanton said:
Just watched this.

And i'd like to say a big fuck you to that spoilt horrible little cow Taylor Swift, she basically tried to throw him under the bus, then her little stunt this year with her bullshit song at the VMA's she played up the innocent little white girl role to perfection. She thought she had the final word refuse any contact with him and make him look like the big bad black man.

But Kanye basically said yes i'm an asshole and here's a song that illustrates that best i noticed the turaround right then at the VMA's before that even on here how many people were like "his an idiot" and hoping that his career was over because he got up on stage and said a result was wrong.

Now look, the music press are back on his nuts after they also tried to take him down MTV will no doubt crawl back to him as well.

Who will survive in America indeed.

Whaaa? She had exactly 2 major appearances after the incident last year. Aside from a throw away quip in her SNL monologue she said nothing about Kanye. She tried to let it die. The only time she's ever talked about the incident in any kind of length is in that song where she wholly accepts his apology and explains that she knows what he was going through and harbors no ill will.

Oozer3993 said:
...in that song where she wholly accepts his apology and explains that she knows what he was going through and harbors no ill will.
must not be the song "Innocent" that I heard her perform.

That was some condescending, patronizing shit that she could have kept to herself.

I wonder how many people - fans and especially industry people - have given Swift their support while calling Kanye a nigger in private to her. Gonna bet it's a high number.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
PhoenixDark said:
I wonder how many people - fans and especially industry people - have given Swift their support while calling Kanye a nigger in private to her. Gonna bet it's a high number.
I don't get this post at all.

Ezduo

Banned
Hmm, this is actually a pretty good album. Anybody know any more like it? I have no experience in the hip hop genre.

Ezduo said:
Hmm, this is actually a pretty good album. Anybody know any more like it? I have no experience in the hip hop genre.
that's a very broad question. I know you said you "have no experience"...but I have to assume you have at least some.

Let us know maybe 4 or 5 hip-hop albums that you've liked and we can probably recommend some stuff. There are too many flavors and styles out there to just throw albums at you.

Ezduo

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
that's a very broad question. I know you said you "have no experience"...but I have to assume you have at least some.
Nope, nothing beyond the tracks on the Gorillaz albums anyway. This is the first hip hop album I've ever listened to front to back.

Ezduo said:
Nope, nothing beyond the tracks on the Gorillaz albums anyway. This is the first hip hop album I've ever listened to front to back.
damn. well tell us this: what about this album worked for you? the beats? the lyrics? the tempo? the samples?

Ezduo

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
damn. well tell us this: what about this album worked for you? the beats? the lyrics? the tempo? the samples?
Damn, tough question. Definitely not the lyrics, it was just the way it flows, the sound of it all together. Probably the tempo, just the way I find myself bobbing my head back forth while slapping my knees while listening.

Ezduo said:
Damn, tough question. Definitely not the lyrics, it was just the way it flows, the sound of it all together. Probably the tempo, just the way I find myself bobbing my head back forth while slapping my knees while listening.
Hmm.....

hmmmmmmmmmm....

I feel like a doctor trying to write a script.

I'd recommend checking out:

Graduation - Kanye West
Be - Common
Attention Deficit - Wale

let me know what you think of those. what you do and don't like about them.

Ashhong

Oozer3993 said:
Whaaa? She had exactly 2 major appearances after the incident last year. Aside from a throw away quip in her SNL monologue she said nothing about Kanye. She tried to let it die. The only time she's ever talked about the incident in any kind of length is in that song where she wholly accepts his apology and explains that she knows what he was going through and harbors no ill will.

I love Taylor, but come on man, Innocent is not a good example of forgiveness. That was some condescending bullshit. Especially the VMA performance, which was only made worse by Kanye's attitude/performance.

SMH at the parade. One guy telling Kanye to jump. I'm sure the death threats he said he got made him feel 100x worse a year ago. No wonder he was feeling down.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ashhong said:
I love Taylor, but come on man, Innocent is not a good example of forgiveness. That was some condescending bullshit. Especially the VMA performance, which was only made worse by Kanye's attitude/performance.

SMH at the parade. One guy telling Kanye to jump. I'm sure the death threats he said he got made him feel 100x worse a year ago. No wonder he was feeling down.
I'm not a Taylor fan at all, but condescending is exactly how I felt about the performance. Holy shit, I was so pissed off. She just HAD to bring this shit up a year later didn't she? I thought, hey Taylor is avoiding talking about it as much as possible, but to bring it back and spin in in favour of getting media attention a year later made me lose major, major respect in her.

Especially that 33 and not grown up or whatever line, was just messed.

Tokubetsu

America will always favor the blonde haired white girl from TN over a thirty something black man from Chicago.

Don't listen to Dream-Visions, stay the fuck away from Attention Defceit. You want to hear decent music from Wale you stick to his mixtapes. AD will offend you sonically.

The M.O.B

Tokubetsu said:
America will always favor the blonde haired white girl from TN over a thirty something black man from Chicago.

Don't listen to Dream-Visions, stay the fuck away from Attention Defceit. You want to hear decent music from Wale you stick to his mixtapes. AD will offend you sonically.

100% Agreed

Mixtape Wale > Album Wale

Then again, that goes for a lot of other hip hop artists too. :shrug

Tokubetsu

PhoenixDark said:
Attention Deficit sucks, not worth checking out. It's a career ending bomb.

Check out..

Blu & Exile - Beneath the Heavens

Everytime I put on Herfavo(u)rite color, I have to turn it down when the "Closer" interludes start because I don't want people to think I'm a pervert.

Tokubetsu said:
the fuck? what kind of simple shit...

look, I'm trying to get a feel for what he likes...not what you like.

it wasn't a list of recommended albums, it was a list to help sort out what he likes and doesn't. my next wave to have him check out would have been some southern stuff...then some west coast stuff...get a feel for what he thinks sounds good. and he may like some of the beats or some of the lyrics, which can help us point him to some other similar stuff that he may like. you're trying to give the man the hardcore introspective shit when he's already said that it's not really about the lyrics at this point.
PhoenixDark said:
Blu & Exile - Beneath the Heavens
not really feeling this recommendation. he's already said that it's not the lyrics that he's feeling. so why point him to an artist who's material is damn near all about the lyrics? I'm trying to point him to artists who have better beats than deep lyrics right now.

YoungHav

Banned
Ezduo said:
you want something like The Roots How I Got Over, great sounding album with mostly live instruments.

enzo_gt said:
I'm not a Taylor fan at all, but condescending is exactly how I felt about the performance. Holy shit, I was so pissed off. She just HAD to bring this shit up a year later didn't she? I thought, hey Taylor is avoiding talking about it as much as possible, but to bring it back and spin in in favour of getting media attention a year later made me lose major, major respect in her.

Especially that 33 and not grown up or whatever line, was just messed.
How is it messed up? That line is true and it serves that pretentious jackass right. Remember when a rapper got dissed and wouldn't say shit until their album dropped? Now we have shitty rap beefs with rappers posting weekly disses back and forth on mixtapes and youtube. Biggie didn't send any shots to 2pac until Life After Death dropped, that was nearly a year of Pac dissing him. Jay-Z dissed Nas at Summerjam, Nas responded December 4th with Ether. Taylor brung that shit back, she's a real nigga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom