• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (OT 2?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odrion

Banned
So Appalled has some of my favorite lyrics on the album.

I met this girl on Valentine's Day, fucked her in May
She found out about April, so she chose to march, heh.

Although "Your team has too many Urkels that's why your wins low" is such an awesome line. Man.

Anyone else getting a sort of 70s prog rock vibe coming from the album?

Smokey

Kusagari said:
Some projections are in and Kanye's projected to sell between 525-575k for this first week. Nicki's is projected to sell 375-425k which surprises me. Didn't expect her to do that well.

Her CD is pretty damn good, caught me off guard.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Kusagari said:
Some projections are in and Kanye's projected to sell between 525-575k for this first week. Nicki's is projected to sell 375-425k which surprises me. Didn't expect her to do that well.
This can't be true. Those are Drake numbers.

And yeah Kanye said himself he's projected to do 600K. Somehow I expect him to do 600-650K though.

CRS

Not taking part in GAF is So Appalled but I was a little bored and had some of these written down after I heard the I'm Beamin' remix a while back. So I just messed around with it for So Appalled. Be nice. :)

This is Super Mario. I'm so appalled.
Peach gets kidnapped, I'm the one getting the calls.
I'm not an impostor. I am what you say I are.
No, not a Fiasco, I'm a mothafuckin' Superstar.
Fire like the fire flower, flyer than the cape feather.
Nothing in my way. I got Mallow messing with the weather.
Go anywhere I want to. I jump wherever I want to be.
I don't stop for anything. I only take turns in my RPG.
I ain't no MF DOOM, don't have a Metal Face.
I got my Metal Cap, this ain't no fucking arms race.
Peach got kidnapped again, I hope you enjoyed my stanzas.
I'll see you at the next fantabulous rap extravaganza.

ChldRebelSoldr said:
Not taking part in GAF is So Appalled but I was a little bored and had some of these written down after I heard the I'm Beamin' remix a while back. So I just messed around with it for So Appalled. Be nice. :)
MC Mario. Nice.

Wu-GAF Clan in full effect, damn. :lol

CRS

Aika'svyse said:
One hand in the air if you don't really care, it's like that sometimes man ridiculous, life can be sometimes ridiculous:D

I love Rapgenius' explanation for this line. "Yes, ridiculous that Swizz Beatz “raps” and got Alicia Keys pregnant"

I'm a bit late on this but Chain Heavy is sick. Why the hell is it 128kbps, is this 2004?

I'm mad as hell, sounds like something that could have been on Late Registration.

Devil in a New Dress is sex. I'm one of the Officer Ricky haters, but I must admit that he did damned well and I like listening to him on that track.

That beat...it's calling me. :D

Dreams-Visions said:
no, it isn't.

naw dude its a pretty decent first effort. expected it to be terrible but at least half the shit was enjoyable.

fuckin hate that "drake/comparing things" flow though, cant listen to "romans revenge" cause of it argh

enzo_gt said:
Seriously, I've been meaning to ask this too, devout Christian or a new Muslim? Or maybe he just respects all religions (or those two at least :lol ) equally.

Kanye also sings the praises of the most fly, Prada.
I wouldn't think too much about it. I imagine the dude is a polytheist but one of the gods he worships has to be fashion.

Put me in the "Can't stand Ninaj" camp.

Dreams-Visions said:
no.

he just wanted to give you a way to understand his love for fashion. he's not a polytheist.

It was a joke.

effingvic said:
naw dude its a pretty decent first effort. expected it to be terrible but at least half the shit was enjoyable.
fuck her fake ass. I wants her nowhere near the future of hip-hop.

her style is contrived and corny, her persona is contrived and corny. her body is artificial, implanted and exaggerated because of it. her attitude sucks. she's not an MC. get her the fuck away from my hip-hop.

NYR

Intro to "Lost in the world" gives me chills, especially when I am rocking my headphones. Can hear Kanye breathing and everything, like he is right behind me talking to me. so awesome.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Kanye also sings the praises of the most fly, Prada.
I wouldn't think too much about it. I imagine the dude is a polytheist but one of the gods he worships has to be fashion.
no.

he just wanted to give you a way to understand his love for fashion. he's not a polytheist.

big ander

I can't have a favorite line, but this is my favorite sort of section.
Restraining order
Can't see my daughter
Her mother, brother, grandmother hate me in that order
Public visitation
We met at Borders
Told her she take me back
I'll be more supportive
I made mistakes
I bump my head
Courts suck me dry
I spent that bread
She need a daddy
Baby please, can't let her grow up in that ghetto university

[Chorus]
All of the lights

Cop lights, flash lights, spot lights
Strobe lights, street lights
(all of the lights, all of the lights)
Fast life, drug life
Thug life, rock life
Every night
(all of the lights)

[Rihanna]
Turn up the lights in here, baby
Extra bright, I want y'all to see this
Turn up the lights in here, baby
You know what I need, want you to see everything
Want you to see all of the lights

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So.. has this album legitimized Kanye as a lyricist yet or are people still against this?

I mean, I've ALWAYS thought he's had clever rhymes but I get a sense that people don't really consider him a good lyricist or even a lyricist really. I don't mean let's do Kanye vs. Rakim deathmatch, but I think he's got his own flow, style and enough clever rhymes in his bank (especially ones hes written himself) to be up there. For what reason? I don't know because I don't know where they're coming from.

Any non-Kanye stans want to weigh in? :lol

YoungHav

Banned
Kanye is not a lyricist. He has two clever lines amongst a bunch of corny misses when it comes to wit. The pussy/sarcophagus one was his best hit this album but chill. Jay-Z is a lyricist, Kanye isn't.

If you want real lyricism look at some bars on Jay-Z's Corporate Takeover freestyle that he did on Hot97.

I think with Kanye that doesn't really matter. He has a great flow and for him that's good enough. With each new album he's always looking at ways to re-invent himself and create something different so there's really no need to focus on the lyrics that much.

He's a natural talent all the same though. Then again I've always thought he was good (pretty much since Dropout).

Oh and thanks to the 1st, 3rd, and 27th person to mention rapgenius.com. As if I didn't have enough websites that kill all my free time.

Net_Wrecker said:
Lost In The World is a sick sick sick track. The build up for the first minute is so good. I wish I could subtract 3 minutes from Blame Game, and 3 from Runaway, and make Lost In The World 6 minutes longer.

I actually dislike Lost in the World, one of my least favorite tracks on the CD, which is weird because of all the praise on here.

i wish kanye combined the AOTL interlude and "who will survive america" to their respective songs instead of having them as seperate tracks. he coulda put in two additional tracks. feels like a waste of space.

Dreams-Visions said:
fuck her fake ass. I wants her nowhere near the future of hip-hop.

her style is contrived and corny, her persona is contrived and corny. her body is artificial, implanted and exaggerated because of it. her attitude sucks. she's not an MC. get her the fuck away from my hip-hop.

oh yeah most def, shes fake and annoying as shit but i wont front, i do enjoy some of the shit shes put out recently though its definitely not because shes some kinda lyrical wizard

and fuck, rap genius is great :lol MY PRODUCTIVITY NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
YoungHav said:
Kanye is not a lyricist. He has two clever lines amongst a bunch of corny misses when it comes to wit. The pussy/sarcophagus one was his best hit this album but chill. Jay-Z is a lyricist, Kanye isn't.

If you want real lyricism look at some bars on Jay-Z's Corporate Takeover freestyle that he did on Hot97.
If you consider this a lyrically smart or even witty line amongst all the lines on the album, I'm questioning how serious you are with the rest of your post, or how convoluted your standards are. It was funny, but I wouldn't put that in my top 10 lines for the album, let alone of all time.

Jay is a lyricist no doubt, but man, Ye's rhymes are on parity in Monster and So Appalled. Oh and he slightly edged out Jay on the Power Remix too, but that's only cause Ye kinda spazzed on that song.

Tokubetsu

Funny someone brought up that sarcophogus line because I cringe every time I hear it. I'm on board for that whole verse and then he just drops that at the end I smile to myself every single time. It's horrible.

outsidah

Tokubetsu said:
Funny someone brought up that sarcophogus line because I cringe every time I hear it. I'm on board for that whole verse and then he just drops that at the end I smile to myself every single time. It's horrible.

I love it. It goes so well with the rest of the stuff he says in his songs.

Awesome CD. Kanye FTW

YoungHav

Banned
enzo_gt said:
If you consider this a lyrically smart or even witty line amongst all the lines on the album, I'm questioning how serious you are with the rest of your post, or how convoluted your standards are. It was funny, but I wouldn't put that in my top 10 lines for the album, let alone of all time.

Jay is a lyricist no doubt, but man, Ye's rhymes are on parity in Monster and So Appalled. Oh and he slightly edged out Jay on the Power Remix too, but that's only cause Ye kinda spazzed on that song.
It's witty to me, Kanye's delivery on the line is corny. Give me examples of lines that you consider witty. For every line I'm impressed with there are 8 more that I find cheesy, corny, or cringeworthy, which is why I don't consider Kanye a lyricist. Not on Jay, Nas, Common, Lupe, Mos Def's level etc...

and I don't know why Kanye, lyrics, and all time are even in the same sentence.

Ashhong

effingvic said:
i wish kanye combined the AOTL interlude and "who will survive america" to their respective songs instead of having them as seperate tracks. he coulda put in two additional tracks. feels like a waste of space.

I don't know what the track separation has to do with the number of songs on the CD. The CD is limited by time, not track numbers :lol I'm going to assume you were semi joking =P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom