• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (OT 2?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talon

I just think it's weird that Jay-Z went from someone that was just one of that group of 90s rappers (with "Big Pimpin'") to the Dean of Hip Hop by the end of the 2000s.

I'm not saying he's not good; I'm just saying I would have laughed at you back in 1999 if you told me Jay-Z would be an icon in 2010.

Tom Penny

Talon- said:
I just think it's weird that Jay-Z went from someone that was just one of that group of 90s rappers (with "Big Pimpin'") to the Dean of Hip Hop by the end of the 2000s.

I'm not saying he's not good; I'm just saying I would have laughed at you back in 1999 if you told me Jay-Z would be an icon in 2010.

I guess you didn't like Reasonable Doubt.

spindashing said:
always trust in musicbrainz.org for tracklistings, hell even for sample notes. http://musicbrainz.org/release/2fcfcaaa-6594-4291-b79f-2d354139e108.html

1 Dark Fantasy
2 Gorgeous (feat. Kid Cudi & Raekwon)
3 Power (feat. Dwele)
4 All of the Lights (interlude)
5 All of the Lights (This features Rihanna, John Legend, Drake, The-Dream, Ryan Leslie, Tony Williams, Charlie Wilson, Elly Jackson, Alicia Keys, Fergie, Kid Cudi & Elton John but they aren't credited on the track name on the album)
6 Monster (feat. Jay-Z, Rick Ross, Nicki Minaj & Bon Iver)
7 So Appalled (feat. Jay-Z, Pusha T, Cyhi the Prynce, Swizz Beatz & RZA)
8 Devil in a New Dress (feat. Rick Ross)
9 Runaway (feat. Pusha T)
10 Hell of a Life
11 Blame Game (feat. John Legend)
12 Lost in the World (feat. Bon Iver)
13 Who Will Survive in America
Thanks, although I swear LitW has more than Bon Iver.

Actually, just checked the CD booklet, it has Elly Jackson, Charlie Wilson, Alicia Keys, Kay Fox and Tony Wilson too. Fuck me this album has a buttload of cameos. I need to edit this thing on iTunes, I get pretty anal about song info.

Dartastic

Has anyone done an edit of Blame Game w/o Chris Rock on it? I wanna add that to the album, and get the long ass one out of here. The novelty has worn itself out, and I don't wanna hear that shit anymore.

hoqhuuep

Dartastic said:
Has anyone done an edit of Blame Game w/o Chris Rock on it? I wanna add that to the album, and get the long ass one out of here. The novelty has worn itself out, and I don't wanna hear that shit anymore.

If you're listening to it on iPod, you can adjust the stop time for the track to 5:19.5. Cuts out the entire Chris Rock skit.

Dartastic

hoqhuuep said:
If you're listening to it on iPod, you can adjust the stop time for the track to 5:19.5. Cuts out the entire Chris Rock skit.
THANK YOUUUUUU. Didn't even know you could do that. Also, what's the quality of the audio from the Power intro on Runaway off the DVD? I wanna try and make a better edit of Power with the audio from Runaway, but I'm not sure if I should replace the version I already have, because it's pretty perfect. The only issue is the audio quality from the movie.

P.S. At least on the version I have, 5:21.3 is a better cut.

CRS

Dartastic said:
THANK YOUUUUUU. Didn't even know you could do that. Also, what's the quality of the audio from the Power intro on Runaway off the DVD? I wanna try and make a better edit of Power with the audio from Runaway, but I'm not sure if I should replace the version I already have, because it's pretty perfect. The only issue is the audio quality from the movie.

P.S. At least on the version I have, 5:21.3 is a better cut.

Not sure if this is what you were talking about but I think someone's already done it.

mckmas8808 said:
For anybody that wanted the Power song with the interlude (from the Runaway film) at the beginning mixed in with the real Power song I got it for you. This is the first time I've done this before, but it sounds nice to me.

I hope some of you guys like it. It's 320 kbps (dat good shit)

03 Power.mp3 - 14.72MB

DiddyBop

has anyone tried to mix the runaway film power interlude to the end of the actual song? it seems to fit better there as a bunch of the songs on the albums have long stretches of music and no lyrics at the end of the song, seems more appropriate at the end.

Dartastic

ChldRebelSoldr said:
Not sure if this is what you were talking about but I think someone's already done it.
Yeah, someone did it better already, IMO. This one fades out then fades in for the real song, where the one I have pretty flawlessly blends the two so there's no gap. The Runaway intro audio quality isn't that high though, unfortunately.

Tokubetsu

Talon- said:

I would have laughed too but being honest, I've never got all the hype around Jay. My sister and I would spin his shit when it was hot but we never really went back to them. RD is great sure but as far as I'm concerned, he has always been and always will be a massive dick rider. Just replace Biggie's dick with hip hop trends and beef as you go through his career.

Tokubetsu

YoungHav said:
ya'll fronting on Jay-Z like that? American Gangster is classic Hov.

I gotta give you "No Hook" and "American Dreamin'" but that's still primarily because of the stellar production and not his lyrics & flow.

Nabs said:
you lose credibility when you call vol1 trash

maybe I misspoke calling vol 1 trash but it sure is not a great follow up to RD. RD is leagues above vol 1. The drop is much higher then say Illmatic to It was written

Tokubetsu

Straightballin said:
maybe I misspoke calling vol 1 trash but it sure is not a great follow up to RD. RD is leagues above vol 1. The drop is much higher then say Illmatic to It was written

You're right because Illmatic is god tier and It Was Written is demigod tier.
Pretty sure Jay has a lyric where he admits to being less lyrical post RD because great lyrics don't sell records.

Tokubetsu said:
Pretty sure Jay has a lyric where he admits to being less lyrical post RD because great lyrics don't sell records.

He does (Moment of Clarity- Black Album) which I don't buy he has enough money and big enough fan base to put whatever he wants out and not hurt his credibility or pocket.

hubes

Tokubetsu said:
I dumb down for my audience
And double my dollars
They criticize me for it
Yet they all yell "Holla"
If skills sold
Truth be told
I'd probably be Lyricly Talib Kweli
Truthfully I wanna rhyme like Common Sense (But i did five Mil)
I ain't been rhymin like Common since

-- moment of clarity

The only jay albums I listen to regularly are reasonable doubt and the black album.. I enjoy most of his albums but I think RD and the black album are his best

Acid08

Banned
Real talk, Blueprint is one of the greatest hip hop albums of all time. Off of that record alone he deserves all the praise he gets.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Just saw the Rolling Stone video where Kanye visited them to talk about the album. Absolutely love it!

"It's not cool for everyone to hear your music anymore... it's the hipster justification of failure." Badass :lol

Ashhong

SpeedingUptoStop said:
John Legend, Drake, The-Dream, Ryan Leslie, Tony Williams, Elly Jackson, Alicia Keys, Kid Cudi

I don't recognize any of these people on All of the Lights. :lol :lol I thought Kid Cudi was on the "gimme miiiiiiiine" part, but I'm going to assume it's like, 4 of these dudes at the same time.:lol

Kid Cudi sings that part before Fergie alone I believe. Elly Jackson and Alicia are at the end harmonizing, "oOOOOOOOh WHOAAAA" and Drake has one line, "We going all the way this time" with Rihanna after Fergie. The other guys are all just harmonized at the end.

Acid08 said:
Real talk, Blueprint is one of the greatest hip hop albums of all time. Off of that record alone he deserves all the praise he gets.
Hell no. Wu Tang forever son. Oh, and It was written>illmatic...

pakkit

Banned
Tokubetsu said:
I gotta give you "No Hook" and "American Dreamin'" but that's still primarily because of the stellar production and not his lyrics & flow.
Ignorant Shit is one of the best Jay-Z tracks ever as far as lyricism goes.

ShinobiFist said:
Now you're just being silly. Blueprint deserves its spot for production value alone.

No Hook
American Dreamin'
Ignorant Shit
Say Hello

Those are my jams on American Gangster.

Wait how the hell did this turn into a Jay-Z thread?

ShinobiFist said:

You are my brother but I must say I do not agree with such things. It Was Written IS a good album no doubt but I feel Illmatic more.

Tom Penny said:
I guess you didn't like Reasonable Doubt.

Reasonable Doubt is a great album but not classic, not by even close. No one considered it classic until years later when Jay started to call it classic and the sheep followed.

Jay doesn't have one classic album, BP1 is 4.5/5, RD is 4/5, BA is 4/5

Ken Masters said:
Reasonable Doubt is a great album but not classic, not by even close. No one considered it classic until years later when Jay started to call it classic and the sheep followed.

Looks like I'm going to take shit for this by what I've seen you guys say so far but RD is his best album.

TheOddOne

Ken Masters said:

No. Blueprint is a fucking classic.

Net_Wrecker said:
You people are seriously underrating American Gangster. The album is 4.5/5 for me.

Ken Masters said:
very good album and overlooked, BP3 was trash compared to this

Finally something I can agree on since this thread turned into a Hov thread. I can't even go back and listen to BP3, but I have no problem going back to American Gangster.

pakkit

Banned
Ken Masters said:
9/10 ain't classic? Blueprint, American Gangster, Reasonable Doubt, Grey Album. Hard to go wrong there.

hubes said:
I dumb down for my audience
And double my dollars
They criticize me for it
Yet they all yell "Holla"
If skills sold
Truth be told
I'd probably be Lyricly Talib Kweli
Truthfully I wanna rhyme like Common Sense (But i did five Mil)
I ain't been rhymin like Common since

-- moment of clarity

The only jay albums I listen to regularly are reasonable doubt and the black album.. I enjoy most of his albums but I think RD and the black album are his best
you have good taste.

I still remember the day when I picked up Reasonable Doubt. The only reason I bought it was because the album CD cover looked cool and it was on the top shelf at the music store. I knew it was gonna be the shit as soon as the first beat kicked in. Back then, I didn't read music magazines or anything, so I'd just buy music based on what was on the new rack or what was on the "top selling" wall. good memories.

it was probably his finest work.

RJT said:
If you're really into hiphop, listen to College Dropout. If not, Late Registration.
listening to them all. A couple of times and then i'll see if anything will leave a lasting impression. Listened to all five of them today. But can't tell which is which anymore :p so i always have to listen to them a couple of times. But he's sure worth listening to.

pakkit said:
Ignorant Shit is one of the best Jay-Z tracks ever as far as lyricism goes.

Now you're just being silly. Blueprint deserves its spot for production value alone.
Fuck no. The production is water down RZA beats. Not bad, but not Wu forever level. Shit, call me when he get's on Alchemist level...

Ken Masters said:
No one considered it classic until years later when Jay started to call it classic and the sheep followed.
wat?

It will always be remembered as one of my favorite late 90s albums, along with albums like Ironman and ATLiens.

TheOddOne said:
Its funny because BP3 is pretty much a Kanye type album, I would have guessed that you would have loved it.
not at all. kanye beats sure, but with with mediocre, unmemorable lyrics. very forgettable album in every way.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Talon- said:
American Gangster is definitely better than BP3.
BP3's production was great, but Jay doesn't really give a shit about making rhymes anymore so he just gave up.

Blueprint 1 and Black Album are my favourites. How y'all saying you like American Gangster and not mentioning Roc Boys? SMH, best song on the entire record. Most of American Gangster was filler though.

enzo_gt said:
BP3's production was great, but Jay doesn't really give a shit about making rhymes anymore so he just gave up.

Blueprint 1 and Black Album are my favourites. How y'all saying you like American Gangster and not mentioning Roc Boys? SMH, best song on the entire record. Most of American Gangster was filler though.

No Hook
Pray
Say Hello
Ignorant Shit

>>> Roc Boys

TheOddOne said:
Its funny because BP3 is pretty much a Kanye type album, I would have guessed that you would have loved it.

Dreams-Visions said:
not at all. kanye beats sure, but with with mediocre, unmemorable lyrics. very forgettable album in every way.

what he said, plus the beats for the most part were average for me

TheOddOne

enzo_gt said:

''Success''', "Fallin'', "American Gangster", "Pray" and "American Dreamin'" are hardly filler.

Acid08

Banned
ShinobiFist said:
Fuck no. The production is water down RZA beats. Not bad, but not Wu forever level. Shit, call me when he get's on Alchemist level...
What in the fuck? I fucking love Wu-Tang but their only album that's, on a whole, as good as BP1 is 36 Chambers. 36 Chambers is better also but the rest of their shit is just too inconsistent. Heart of the City>*

RJT

American Gangster is awesome. It's my favorite Jay-Z album (although maybe not his best). No Hook, Pray, Success, American Dreamin, Roc Boys, Fallin, all amazing tracks.

Acid08 said:
What in the fuck? I fucking love Wu-Tang but their only album that's, on a whole, as good as BP1 is 36 Chambers. 36 Chambers is better also but the rest of their shit is just too inconsistent. Heart of the City>*
I assume you're not including individual projects in that commentary? just the group albums?

Acid08 said:
Hell to the fucking no, Triumph ALONE kills everything on the BP1 album. 36 Chambers doesn't bang like WU4ever does. Wu 4ever is on point, is not inconsistent at all homie. Quincy Jones himself bless that record homie. I'm the biggest Wu head in here, trust me when it came to beats and rhymes, Wu 4 ever>36 Chambers. Nothing will beat CREAM, but as a whole, Wu 4 ever all day. But whatever, this is a Conway West thread anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom