• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (OT 2?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
zero_suit said:
Billboard releases the official numbers tomorrow.
Do they combine digital and physical by default usually?

EDIT: Cross Posting from Swift thread, for reference:

TCD 441,000
LR 860,000
Graduation 957,000
808s 450,145

I can see 700K.

So I don't really listen to rap/hip-hop. I'm more of a metal kind of guy. I listen to some house, electronic, shit like that. I had the 3 dollar coupon for amazon mp3's and I saw that MBDTF was only 4 dollars so I said hell, why not?! And DAMN do I really enjoy this album. Such high production values. My favorites so far are: Dark Fantasy, Power, and All of the Lights. Good shit so far.

All of the Lights sounds like a blaring mess. It sounds like a live performance where everyone is trying to overcome the loud speakers and bad acoustics.

I don't know how it compares to the leaks because I heard it once and deleted it, but I don't recall it sticking out so much. Am I thinking crazy thoughts?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
toasty_T said:
All of the Lights sounds like a blaring mess. It sounds like a live performance where everyone is trying to overcome the loud speakers and bad acoustics.

I don't know how it compares to the leaks because I heard it once and deleted it, but I don't recall it sticking out so much. Am I thinking crazy thoughts?
I absolutely LOVE All of the Lights, but the only blaring I can recall is when Rihanna and others harmonize the "All of the Lights, All of the liiiights" part when they say lights. It really still comes out like fuzz if the volume is too loud and the drop in sound quality becomes very apparent. Older versions never had this issue, nor did the runaway version when Rihanna was added in.

enzo_gt said:
I absolutely LOVE All of the Lights, but the only blaring I can recall is when Rihanna and others harmonize the "All of the Lights, All of the liiiights" part when they say lights. It really still comes out like fuzz if the volume is too loud and the drop in sound quality becomes very apparent. Older versions never had this issue, nor did the runaway version when Rihanna was added in.
it comes out like fuzz because of the mastering.

as I've said before, I look forward to this album being remastered. Everything was recorded too loud except for the AoTL interlude.

Tokubetsu

Loudness war. I think it's really noticeable on AOTL simply because of how busy the track is. You can clearly hear some of the drums clipping in the chorus. Monster too thanks to the bass.

"lost in the world" always gives me goosebumps :O really starting to fall in love with this track (even moreso)

and yeah, i dont like the fuzziness at all. the mp3 version i downloaded from amazon at 256 bitrate sounds like its much less than that..

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Seriously, right from the point where the beats drops and it's just RUN FROM THE LIGHTS, RUN FOR YOUR LIFE, Lost in the World is giving me a brain massage.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Seriously, right from the point where the beats drops and it's just RUN FROM THE LIGHTS, RUN FOR YOUR LIFE, Lost in the World is giving me a brain massage.

fuckin WORD man. have this shit on loop...i feel like i can do anything right now

im not getting any fuckin sleep tonight..way too inspired and shit :lol

Ashhong

SpeedingUptoStop said:

You mean right after his verse right? Yea, my favorite part as well. Alicia Keys and Elly Jackson FTW.

Tokubetsu said:
I think it's really noticeable on AOTL simply because of how busy the track is.

That's what it is. With a track like AotL I like picking apart all the elements, the track is too indistinct and it has Fergie.

Lost in the World is amazing though and my hatred of the vocal filter in Gorgeous is subsiding. Some good verses in there.

He didn't have one hit single on this album, on 808 heartless was a huge track and love lock down was big too. Power never blew and runaway was way too different of a track to get consistent radio play

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
andymcc said:
I wonder if Minaj's sales ate into Kanye's??
ray-j-gif.gif

Swag

Ken Masters said:
Pink Friday was horrible, I wonder how many people bought her album based off her Monster verse, they will be sorely disappointed

I'd demand a refund if I was in that position, seriously that album is terrible :lol

Recon

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
Ouch. Looks like the bad press and lack of a single fucked him over after all; very hard to spin those projections if true, given the album released during a sales holiday. Kanye doesn't have anyone to blame but himself; he pissed any good will he created down the drain with the Today Show farce

Oh shut the fuck up, i swear you take any opportunity to piss on Kanye West. The Today Show had nothing to do with his sales, half million is very respectable with having absolutely no single.

What is the single that's representative of this album anyway? The tone of the CD jumps around too much. Let's say he makes videos for All of the Lights or Lost in the World then someone picks up the CD and they get to Monster and So Appalled. Pretty contrasting. The opposite is also true.

It's not that the album has to be homogenous or anything but the project comes off as a production mosaic rather than something cohesive.

I could be wrong though.

Swag

toasty_T said:
What is the single that's representative of this album anyway? The tone of the CD jumps around too much. Let's say he makes videos for All of the Lights or Lost in the World then someone picks up the CD and they get to Monster and So Appalled. Pretty contrasting. The opposite is also true.

Well a video for monster has already been shot, and I can't see Kanye passing on the opportunity of having an amazing video for All of the Lights being shot. Especially considering it was the hyped song on the album pre release ( ?? ).

Im seeing POWER Runaway All of the Lights Lost in the World.

Equus Bellator Apex

PhoenixDark said:
Ouch. Looks like the bad press and lack of a single fucked him over after all; very hard to spin those projections if true, given the album released during a sales holiday. Kanye doesn't have anyone to blame but himself; he pissed any good will he created down the drain with the Today Show farce
14a3as.jpg

You wrong, B.

Tom Penny

toasty_T said:

They decided to ruined it with stupid fast drum sections for no apparent reason.

PBY

Banned
Ken Masters said:
sales are admittedly low for this album, the hype for this album is something that rivaled Carter III and sold 1/2 as much
no way dude- C3 had lollipop which was a massive single

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
peterb0y said:
no way dude- C3 had lollipop which was a massive single
Lollipop AND A Milli. A Milli was a street single that leaked and had everyone going bonkers.

So naturally Weezy rerecorded it in the most depressing fucking voice in the entire world for the shitty album version and people ate it up. I instantly replaced the album version with the leaked version when he has energy in his voice. And he shot the biggest waste of a video for his biggest song. Let's hope Yeezy doesn't do All of the Lights like that.

Anth0ny

enzo_gt said:
Let's hope Yeezy doesn't do All of the Lights like that.

I liked the All of the Lights portion of Runaway. Giant MJ head was awesome:lol

Sucks that the album isn't selling well. Guess he needed a huge single after all.

Oozer3993

500k, in today's music industry, with no major singles, is very, very good. And it should post strong numbers for awhile due to positive word of mouth.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Oozer3993 said:
500k, in today's music industry, with no major singles, is very, very good. And it should post strong numbers for awhile due to positive word of mouth.
Yeah, entirely. Its a pretty fair accomplishment, and still did more than 808s with 2x the haters. And I didn't know it was hyped as the second coming outside of Kanye fans.

The entire album was word of mouth. From G.O.O.D. Fridays to singles leaking slowly, the hype built itself. And best of all, Yeezy actually delivered plentifully.

Ashhong

enzo_gt said:
Yeah, entirely. Its a pretty fair accomplishment, and still did more than 808s with 2x the haters. And I didn't know it was hyped as the second coming outside of Kanye fans.

The entire album was word of mouth. From G.O.O.D. Fridays to singles leaking slowly, the hype built itself. And best of all, Yeezy actually delivered plentifully.

I dont know about 2x the haters. Take a trip back to 2008...808s was shit on nonstop

Ashhong

perfectchaos007 said:
yeah but that was the album being shit on for being all autotune, not Kanye.

Yea, but still the same idea considering record sales. People either dont buy it because they dont like the musician or the music. I guess in 808s case alot of people hated both :lol

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Hey even I shit on 808s when it came out :lol I gave it a second, third and fourth chance and only at about the fourth chance did I realize how awesome it really was.

I also recently realized that I had a "The Glory" phase. Where all I would listen to is The Glory from Graduation over and over. Needless to say, I was browsing through my library today and realized I haven't listened to it since, and probably never will again.

I've been listening to the album a lot but I kinda wish I would have skipped the G.O.O.D Fridays when they were released. The songs are slightly different though and still are great but I've been getting most of the enjoyment from about half the album. All of the Lights is my morning wake up song for the past few days. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom