• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (OT 2?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ShinobiFist said:
Hell to the fucking no, Triumph ALONE kills everything on the BP1 album. 36 Chambers doesn't bang like WU4ever does. Wu 4ever is on point, is not inconsistent at all homie. Quincy Jones himself bless that record homie. I'm the biggest Wu head in here, trust me when it came to beats and rhymes, Wu 4 ever>36 Chambers. Nothing will beat CREAM, but as a whole, Wu 4 ever all day. But whatever, this is a Conway West thread anyway...

Dude, Triumph is my JAM. Inspectah Deck ... oh my GOD. :lol

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Alright! Now we've got ourselves a debate!

Wu vs. Jigga. GO.

Who has more members?!
WU WINS 30 - 2

lol Memphis Bleek

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Can't really say I find Jay to be a whole lot of good since The Black Album unless he's putting in work with somebody like kanye. I listen to shit like the IN NEW YORRRRk bullshit and think Jay sounds o annoying now, but I still get excited when something like Watch the Throne is coming out.:lol I think both of his verse on Kanye's record are worthy of the acclaim he gets, but the stuff he does on his own...the last record I heard of his was Kingdom Come and after that, I was just done.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Jay's verses on Power Remix / So Appalled / Monster > mostly everything else he's done since the Black Album. Ye brings out the best in Jay, especially recently.

Tom Penny

I know people have their own opinions but American Gangster is Jay's best album and It was written is better than Illmatic? Color me confused.

Ashhong

I am almost ashamed to say that the only Jay album I've heard from front to back is BP3 :lol I was never a HUGE hip hop fan until Kanye, and I never got into Jay enough to listen to his songs. One day...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ashhong said:
I am almost ashamed to say that the only Jay album I've heard from front to back is BP3 :lol I was never a HUGE hip hop fan until Kanye, and I never got into Jay enough to listen to his songs. One day...
GO LISTEN TO THE BLACK ALBUM NOW. It'll be a bit more friendly on a first listen, and then you can move on to BP1/Reasonable Doubt afterwards.

funny thing is that I actually had the White (bah I meant Grey) Album way before I ever listened to Black Album. So I permanently associate all of those lyrics with Beatles songs and it seems weird when I hear the real versions :lol

also, this thread should apparently now be renamed as Roc-A-Fella Official Thread of Blasting Off Like Pew Pew Pew

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
soul creator said:
funny thing is that I actually had the White Album way before I ever listened to Black Album. So I permanently associate all of those lyrics with Beatles songs and it seems weird when I hear the real versions :lol

also, this thread should apparently now be renamed as Roc-A-Fella Official Thread of Blasting Off Like Pew Pew Pew
your going to shit a brick when you find out about the Grey Album :lol

I never really liked the Grey Album. It always felt "almost there" in terms of how good the stuff mashed up.

enzo_gt said:
your going to shit a brick when you find out about the Grey Album :lol

I never really liked the Grey Album. It always felt "almost there" in terms of how good the stuff mashed up.

oops, I actually meant to say Grey Album!

also...I heard the Grey Album before I heard The White Album...haha.

ShinobiFist said:
Hell to the fucking no, Triumph ALONE kills everything on the BP1 album. 36 Chambers doesn't bang like WU4ever does. Wu 4ever is on point, is not inconsistent at all homie. Quincy Jones himself bless that record homie. I'm the biggest Wu head in here, trust me when it came to beats and rhymes, Wu 4 ever>36 Chambers. Nothing will beat CREAM, but as a whole, Wu 4 ever all day. But whatever, this is a Conway West thread anyway...

I will agree that wu > jay and that wu4ever > bp1 BUT

wu forever < 36 chambers.

And it's kinda ridiculous to even compare the two as one album had like 9 songs, and the other had triple the amount.

no, you aren't the "biggest wu head" in here.

Your post is one of the most ignorant posts I have ever read, and honestly that shit izzzz.....fuckin ridiculous.

ShinobiFist said:
Hell no. Wu Tang forever son. Oh, and It was written>illmatic...

Just saw you said that^^^....well, all I can say is. you're mentally retarded.

Fixed2BeBroken said:
I will agree that wu > jay and that wu4ever > bp1 BUT

wu forever < 36 chambers.

And it's kinda ridiculous to even compare the two as one album had like 9 songs, and the other had triple the amount.
I agree with all of this.

BUT...Triumph is probably the single-greatest song they put out. maybe the greatest hip-hop song any group has ever put out. whenever I put that album on, I go straight to Triumph and Reunited (shamefully under-appreciated). Every time. So good.

and lol @ the Wu-Tang fanboy dick measuring contest.

Fixed2BeBroken said:
Just saw you said that^^^....well, all I can say is. you're mentally retarded.
he probably...I mean...uh....yea, you're probably right.

Dreams-Visions said:

BUT...Triumph is probably the single-greatest song they put out. maybe the greatest hip-hop song any group has ever put out. whenever I put that album on, I go straight to Triumph and Reunited (shamefully under-appreciated). Every time. So good.

well yea....triumph is probably the greatest hiphop song done by group if only for the simple fact that it was a radio single that had no chorus. What I mean is, It got LOTS of radio play and it had no chorus. That has never been really done before OR since by a rap artist or a group. on top of that the song is perfection.

Fixed2BeBroken said:
well yea....triumph is probably the greatest hiphop song done by group if only for the simple fact that it was a radio single that had no chorus. What I mean is, It got LOTS of radio play and it had no chorus. That has never been really done before OR since by a rap artist or a group. on top of that the song is perfection.
until now, I didn't even realize it has no hook. :O

and yes, it's perfection. i still remember where I was the day the video debuted on BET. that video premiere was a big fucking deal.

Tom Penny

Dreams-Visions said:

he probably...I mean...uh....yea, you're probably right.

Define "group" It's certainly not the greatest song with more than 1 person dropping verses in it. Winter Warz is good as that from Wu IMO..which somehow had a good verse from Cappaddonna who I think is hot trash :lol

Tom Penny said:
Define "group" It's certainly not the greatest song with more than 1 person dropping verses in it. Winter Warz is good as that from Wu IMO..which somehow had a good verse from Cappaddonna who I think is hot trash :lol

winter warz was dope, I wouldn't say it was on the level of triumph tho....commercially speaking, artistically speaking, lyrically speaking, productionly speaking...triumph was a better track.

HiResDes said:
I think Wu Gambinos is my favorite posse cut actually, but I'm weird.

yea, that was dope too.

Most of all of thier "posse cuts" are dope. but none had the impact that triumph did.

Tom Penny said:
a man after my own heart. Cappadonna wore that verse out.

but Cappadonna was the only one that did wear that verse out. Whereas everyone wore out Triumph.

Winter Wars is probably one of my top 5 Wu songs (and Ironman my favorite album of theirs). But Triumph, it is not.

Tom Penny

Dreams-Visions said:

but Cappadonna was the only one that did wear that verse out. Whereas everyone wore out Triumph.

Winter Wars is probably one of my top 5 Wu songs (and Ironman my favorite album of theirs). But Triumph, it is not.

My favorite Wu shit besides 36 chambers is Liquid Swords.. This shit was ridiculous

Killa Hill 10301 / life of a drug dealer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZJ0zNQyQ3A

Shadowboxing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gwt056HF72A&feature=related

Tokubetsu

YOU WANNA PULL A HEIST, DRAW GUNS AND ROBBERIES?
YOU WANNA ROCK REP, STEP IN YELLOW WALLABIES?
Names arraigned, the century fox, little glocks
Them n*ggas with stocks, wail on your blocks

HiResDes

Dreams-Visions said:

I love Winter Wars too, it's also a top five track for me. Assassination Day might be my very favorite Wu track ever, but I didn't it before because it's not really a posse cut.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
GoodMorning said:
Needs more of those crazy ass drums. Otherwise :')

I want Kanye to perform AOTL at the Grammys or something. Could you imagine if he had all the guests too, my god. It would be amazing seeing the performance and seeing Drake only do one line throughout the entire thing.

Ken Masters said:
that "Haters" track on BP3 was hot garbage
I have a thing for back and fourth tracks so that track is pretty awesome to me by default. So, have to disagree. Though I know I'm in the minority about this anyways.

ShinobiFist said:

I gotta respectfully disagree man. 36 Chambers is perfect while Wu Forever isn't. It has filler and some songs are hurt by poor decisions on who to put on them (like having Ugod on so many tracks).

Reasonable Doubt is good, but I never thought it was classic. It Was Written came out like a month later and has basically the same mafioso vibe but it considerably better. Although to be honest, IWW sounds like a mainstream version of OB4CL, which can't be touched.

Not a big Jay-Z fan. And I gotta say Vol 1 is meh...

Tom Penny said:
My favorite Wu shit besides 36 chambers is Liquid Swords.. This shit was ridiculous

Killa Hill 10301 / life of a drug dealer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZJ0zNQyQ3A

Shadowboxing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gwt056HF72A&feature=related
4th Chamber / Shadowboxing was one of my favorite cassettes ever (one song on each side. lol). it was also one of my favorite videos.

check that, it was my favorite Wu video, in terms of style.

I didn't get Liquid Swords until much later, so my appreciation for it isn't the same as for others. but both 4th Chamber and Shadowboxing...let's just say they never get old, and if I were to make a personal top 10 favorite Wu songs list, both would be on it without question.

HiResDes said:
I love Winter Wars too, it's also a top five track for me. Assassination Day might be my very favorite Wu track ever, but I didn't it before because it's not really a posse cut.
all these brothers from another mother around here. Assassination Day was also my shit.

I still occasionally find myself saying, "War's extremely serious and saddens me to have to take things to deadly measures and have you measured and SHOT fa no pay, it's assassination day I stalk my enemies like prey"

on one breath. just because. feels good man.

GatorBait said:
So can anyone tell me which Good Friday tracks are different from their respective album version tracks?
Devil in a New Dress is completely different. So Appalled is changed around a little. All of them were remastered and retuned, so songs like Monster sound MUCH better on the album (much more powerful bass).

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
A few weeks ago the entire focus of this album was the video for “Runaway.” The video was admittedly totally European influenced and produced. Knowing that it was highly artistic Kanye purposely debuted it in the art loving city of Paris, France. “Runaway” contains visuals foreign to Hip-Hop so with that in mind the audience might expect the sound of “My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy” to mirror it. The album is indeed to the left, but as described above it is done so with a fundamental respect for a golden age of Hip-Hop and solid lyrics. So in essence by going to the left Kanye has actually brought Hip-Hop back to its center while elevating it to a place where others will hopefully be encouraged to visit. This is significant because Hip-Hop has often been elevated and brought to a larger audience, but at times it was done in a fashion that did not appeal to core Hip-Hop listeners. Kanye’s work will reach a new audience and expose them to something that a Hip Hop purist should champion.

From the All Hip Hop.com review.

TheOddOne

Ashhong said:
*Removes Ashhong from friendslist*

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The only two singles Ye put out are Power and Runaway (and Monster technically). If the Monster video has been shit, he needs to release that shit now, while he's working on the AOTL video. Gotta keep the momentum moving. And then he should do Lost in the World, then Blame Game and So Appalled videos and call it a day.

Swag

enzo_gt said:
The only two singles Ye put out are Power and Runaway (and Monster technically). If the Monster video has been shit, he needs to release that shit now, while he's working on the AOTL video. Gotta keep the momentum moving. And then he should do Lost in the World, then Blame Game and So Appalled videos and call it a day.

I don't see Blame game translating well into a music video, haven't all of kanye's videos been the upbeat tracks? 808 Excluded.

All of the Lights, Monster, Lost in the World, POWER, Runaway

What I think the videos will be

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Sebulon3k said:
I don't see Blame game translating well into a music video, haven't all of kanye's videos been the upbeat tracks? 808 Excluded.

All of the Lights, Monster, Lost in the World, POWER, Runaway

What I think the videos will be
Blame Game could easily be a video, it is about relationships after all. And I really think if that song gets exposure, it could be HUGE. Maybe not Love the way you lie huge (that was a pretty shitty song to begin with, but I digress), but still huge.

I'm seeing U2 in concert on wednesday and Jay-Z is the support act, AS IF THAT ISN'T GOOD ENOUGH

Kanye just flew in to Melbourne (my hometown, Ausgaf represent) to record a track for Watch the Throne...

If they drop Monster or So Appalled or the Power Remix or anything I will be shitting everywhere in the moshpit I give no fucks

A week late and my CD finally arrived. Is there a lyric booklet? Seems like a strange omission for a Deluxe Edition.

Currently watching Runaway for the first time, these ballerina's legs are legit. Shiiiiiiiet

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
toasty_T said:
A week late and my CD finally arrived. Is there a lyric booklet? Seems like a strange omission for a Deluxe Edition.

Currently watching Runaway for the first time, these ballerina's legs are legit. Shiiiiiiiet
I kinda really wanted a lyric booklet too :(

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
perfectchaos007 said:
So how did it sell in the first week?
Will know tomorrow. I was JUST about to post what are GAFfers predictions for the first week? :lol

I'm saying 700 000. Very cautiously optimistic about this. What say you, GAF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom