• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (OT 2?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oozer3993

Kanye has been nominated for a Grammy for Best Rap Song for Power. The album and other singles will be eligible for the next GRAMMY go-round in 2012.

Ashhong

Oozer3993 said:
Kanye has been nominated for a Grammy for Best Rap Song for Power. The album and other singles will be eligible for the next GRAMMY go-round in 2012.

Just looked at those and didn't even see that. The nominations overall are fucking ridiculous. I normally dont have a problem with them but this year...holy crap. Terrible.

The M.O.B

We talking Grammy Awards in here now?

Smh, we all know those awards are not worth anything ryt?

If Katy Perry is nominated for anything besides her breasts then we know something is wrong.

Grammy Awards? Pshh *Kanyeshrug*

Ashhong

I know people say that, but still, the artists care. At least, I would. Getting a Grammy is a huge honor imo, and this year's nominees are terrible

dmshaposv

I'd never think my favourite album of the year would be a Rap album, much less a kanye west album, but here I am.

This is the best thing I've heard all year.

Ashhong

dmshaposv said:
I'd never think my favourite album of the year would be a Rap album, much less a kanye west album, but here I am.

This is the best thing I've heard all year.

Damn, I was going to avatar quote you, and then I noticed its the one where he changes expression :lol

Ashhong said:
Damn, I was going to avatar quote you, and then I noticed its the one where he changes expression :lol

I bet you felt kinda like this

kanyeavatar2.gif

effzee

500k+ is amazing considering that all the hype for this album is based on press, media, and controversy and not necessarily from a smash single that gets played to death on radio.

Comparing it to Carter III is unfair cause even though came out recently times a changin.

I finally listened to the album. Production wise it made love to my ears and came in them too but as always some of his verses just really irk me to the point I start wondering man imagine if a more capable rapper was on this beat. Still lyrically its a step up from 808 obviously and Graduation.

3.75/5

I finally listened to the album. Production wise it made love to my ears and came in them too but as always some of his verses just really irk me to the point I start wondering man imagine if a more capable rapper was on this beat. Still lyrically its a step up from 808 obviously and Graduation.

Exactly how I feel about the majority of his work. Apparently, this makes me a Kanye hater.

Baconbitz

Banned
One of my half like/half hate songs is Runaway. I have a problem with it. The part at the end of the song ruins it. Him singing with the autotune at the end.

Baconbitz said:
One of my half like/half hate songs is Runaway. I have a problem with it. The part at the end of the song ruins it. Him singing with the autotune at the end.
that's my favorite part. because instead of focusing on the lyrics, you can focus on the emotion in his voice.

like those old negro spirituals where they stop saying words and just hum the shit with passion. you don't need to know what is being said to *feel* what's being said.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Dreams-Visions said:
that's my favorite part. because instead of focusing on the lyrics, you can focus on the emotion in his voice.

like those old negro spirituals where they stop saying words and just hum the shit with passion. you don't need to know what is being said to *feel* what's being said.
My girlfriend makes sense of it by saying it's like, what's he's feeling is breaking him down so emotionally, he just wants to put it out there. But it's a feeling no one else really understands, so, he's saying it, he's pleading to be heard, but all you can hear is the emotion. Makes sense to me.
I still don't think it's that necessary for the song and I don't care to ever really hear it again. If it was gone from the track ,you wouldn't miss it, like say, the vocals samples or Pusha T or something.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
My girlfriend makes sense of it by saying it's like, what's he's feeling is breaking him down so emotionally, he just wants to put it out there. But it's a feeling no one else really understands, so, he's saying it, he's pleading to be heard, but all you can hear is the emotion. Makes sense to me.
I still don't think it's that necessary for the song and I don't care to ever really hear it again. If it was gone from the track ,you wouldn't miss it, like say, the vocals samples or Pusha T or something.
more than fair.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Sebulon3k said:
I really hate delivery on Runaway album version compared to what he did at the VMAs, especially in the first verse.

Hood Rats especially, almost cringe whenever I hear that.

Video for reference

I don't know if I prefer the VMA Hood Rats, but I prefer his energy and tone in it.

Baconbitz

Banned
SpeedingUptoStop said:
See I could honestly do without that part. It makes it feel too long.

I've been listening to this more. I admit, at first it didn't rub me the right way. It seemed to different...but given more listens it's REALLY growing on me. As much as I hate Kanye for creating buzzwords for himself, All of the Lights probably is stadium status. I also love Runaway. I think overall though, the songs are a bit too long, and most of the extra length is just the beat rolling. He could have cut most of them by like 2-3 minutes probably and still have been good

Gattsu25

Banned
Zoramon089 said:
I've been listening to this more. I admit, at first it didn't rub me the right way. It seemed to different...but given more listens it's REALLY growing on me.
That about sums it up for me.

Saw this on XXL which goes to the heart of my issues with the album: http://www.xxlmag.com/homepage-high...eautiful-dark-twisted-fantasy-by-the-numbers/

Length: Roughly an hour and 15 minutes

Time Kanye Raps: 19 minutes and 59 seconds

Time Featured Guests Rap/Talk: 11 minutes and 3 seconds
Tracks: 14 (including the bonus track)

Tracks with only Kanye on the Vocals: 1 (“Hell of a Life”)

Tracks with Other Artists (Features or Backup): 12
Also, I thought this album wasn't supposed to have any auto-tuned singing bullshit.

Gattsu25

Banned
SpeedingUptoStop said:
I'm struggling to see what the problem with any of that is.
  • He's relying on too many other artists. I see this as a bit of a crutch.
  • There is only ~30 minutes of spoken/rapped dialog in the 75 minute album (and two of those are due to the bullshit Chris Rock skit)
  • The auto-tuned Kanye singing is still balls awful.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
SpeedingUptoStop said:
I'm struggling to see what the problem with any of that is.

Most classic albums may have one or two posse cuts while Kanye has a lot of them. Look at the Blueprint. Only Eminem is on a song. Every other song is a solo. Look at Illmatic, only AZ raps on Life's a Bitch.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
I guess this is a problem because there's some unwritten code that you're supposed to be vocal most of the album to take credit for it or something? I don't understand what this crutch has to do with actually enjoying the album. He orchestrated everything about it. The beats, the guests, the arrangements, hell, he probably had a hand in a lot of guest verses too. He had a part in all of it and it contributes to the diversity of the album. Putting all the vocal work on himself would've played right into his faults, he understood this, made a great record instead of a good one.

Ashhong

Gattsu25 said:
  • He's relying on too many other artists. I see this as a bit of a crutch.
  • There is only ~30 minutes of spoken/rapped dialog in the 75 minute album (and two of those are due to the bullshit Chris Rock skit)
  • The auto-tuned Kanye singing is still balls awful.

A crutch? Hardly. He's not "relying" on them. He's simply putting them on because he feels like it.

listened to all the albums a couple of times. Imo this latest one is by far the best one.
I'm white though. Maybe that makes a difference :p. Brilliantly produced album.

I also did like a lot of songs on the other albums.

SquirrelNuckle said:
Man I love Monster. Probably my favorite track on the album.

I've been listening to that track pretty much on a regular basis since it was released as a GOOD Friday track and it's still not played out to me in the slightest, that's what you call classic material

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ken Masters said:
I've been listening to that track pretty much on a regular basis since it was released as a GOOD Friday track and it's still not played out to me in the slightest, that's what you call classic material
So Appalled fits in this category too. Will go down as a classic track. To me it's already one of the hardest all year. Zero rhymes on that song disappoint. Its 7 minutes of straight crack.

enzo_gt said:
So Appalled fits in this category too. Will go down as a classic track. To me it's already one of the hardest all year. Zero rhymes on that song disappoint. Its 7 minutes of straight crack.

So Appalled is incredible also

Verse rank:
1. Pusha T
2. Kanye
3. Prince
4. Jay (Still a great verse)

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Ken Masters said:

Verse rank:
1. Pusha T
2. Kanye
3. Prince

Jay-Z verse forced Hammer to borrow some money to make a diss song. Jay's verse is the best.

Ken Masters said:

Verse rank:
1. Pusha T
2. Kanye
3. Prince
concur.

actually, I'd put Jay's verse 3'd. Because he threatened to buy a mall...just to show folks how much more he had in store.

I'm just sayin'.

Agent Icebeezy said:
Jay-Z verse forced Hammer to borrow some money to make a diss song. Jay's verse is the best.

"All of yall can suck my balls through my draws ", that corny line automatically takes him down to #4

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
For me, So Appalled:

1. Kanye (come to think of it, my favourite Ye verse on the entire album)
2. Pusha-T
3. CyHi
4. Jay-Z

Really I like Ye and Pusha's verses nearly equally and CyHi & Jay's verses equally too.

I'm still spinning this album regularly. This may eventually surpass LR in my list of favourite Ye albums eventually. Maybe.

Robot 492

Banned
CyHi > Pusha T > Kanye > Jay-Z > RZA

It's hard to rank them, though, since everyone has really solid verses. RZA's verse gets me so pumped up, haha.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
RZA's part counts as a verse? :lol

Cars for the missus, and furs for the mis-tressssssss

His part is dope though.

Robot 492

Banned
enzo_gt said:
RZA's part counts as a verse? :lol

Cars for the missus, and furs for the mis-tressssssss

His part is dope though.
Well, I guess it's not actually a verse, but his part is too good to exclude.

nskinnear said:
CyHi < Pusha T < Kanye < Jay-Z < RZA
No.

I will admit, CyHi's verse was not bad at all, but I cannot rank him over Pusha's or Jay's verse. Jay + Pusha > Kanye > CyHi in my eyes for So Appalled.

RZA over Swizz. =P

Tokubetsu

modernkicks said:
yeah did we all agree that so appalled is the best song because it is

Nope, that title goes to Blame Game because John Legend fucking kills it and I listen to the entire chris rock bit EVERY FUCKING TIME BECAUSE IT MAKES THE GOD DAMN SONG EVEN BETTER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom