• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.
The laureate/gold design is a good idea, but badly executed.

Hope this leaks soon so I can listen full and proper (then buy of course).

teepo

i've always had trouble with the term banning if it's done outside of both the municipal and federal level.

so who exactly banned this artwork? his record label, the riaa or walmart?

Swag

Buckethead said:
The laureate/gold design is a good idea, but badly executed.

Hope this leaks soon so I can listen full and proper (then buy of course).
:lol

I believe you

Ashhong

teepo said:
i've always had trouble with the term banning if it's done outside of both the municipal and federal level.

so who exactly banned this artwork? his record label, the riaa or walmart?

Probably the record label. Probably told him that they can't sell it like that, therefore they will not publish it.

dagZ said:
tumblr_lags70gDiB1qc0cxpo1_1280.jpg

just saw this somewhere. is this the US cover coverup?

awesome cover, if fanart, then hats off to the fan

That cover is so laughably bad, and really nothing more than another example of him daring people to question his "art" at which point he lectures on how much he knows about shit. Typical Kanye.

At some point people have to realize this guy is not particularly talented, and instead builds an orchestra of distraction around himself to confuse people.

PhoenixDark said:
That cover is so laughably bad, and really nothing more than another example of him daring people to question his "art" at which point he lectures on how much he knows about shit. Typical Kanye.

At some point people have to realize this guy is not particularly talented, and instead builds an orchestra of distraction around himself to confuse people.

he's not talentless like you make him out to be, he does however have a wonderful ear for samples

Ashhong

PhoenixDark said:

No you are laughably bad!

PhoenixDark said:

and maybe it's just you reading more into something as simple as coverart than you accuse his fans of doing?

Ken Masters said:
he's not talentless like you make him out to be, he does however have a wonderful ear for samples

That's true, he has a great ear for samples. But for someone who has relied on ghost producers and writers his entire career, it's really hard for me to take him seriously after all the smug bullshit he says. At least Dr Dre made some cool shit before having ghost producers do his shit.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
he probably had a bunch of different artists make him album covers. Then he just picked the one cover that he thought was the most unique and cool enough to make him daring and artsy to separate him from the Drakes and Lil Waynes of this world. It's not a terrible cover, I liked. I makes sense in the hip hop realm because it's different, that the image he wants. No one would be saying anything if it was an indie band.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
PhoenixDark said:
That's true, he has a great ear for samples. But for someone who has relied on ghost producers and writers his entire career, it's really hard for me to take him seriously after all the smug bullshit he says. At least Dr Dre made some cool shit before having ghost producers do his shit.
So your under the impression that, in 2010, for his entire career, none of the work he's done or orchestrated as you say, has come from his own mind?

Same reason why I still like Dre is, he knows how to orchestrate a good song for the benefit of the song, not the liner notes. Writing sessions (as if Dre wrote most of his rhymes), bringing in external producers like Preemo to do scratches. Whatever it takes, Ye will go there to get his songs out the way they need to be.

Whatever this distraction nonsense your talking about is, I don't see it. Nor do I think ghost producers are making all of his beats and rhymes, maybe in the early days, but post-LR I feel he stopped doing that.

Mr. West has recruited a random smattering of A-listers for “All of the Lights,” the third single from his fifth album My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, due November 22.

Rap-Up.com was in the house at Monday night’s screening of his short film Runaway in Los Angeles where he revealed the eleven names that contributed to the super-sized track. They are Rihanna, Alicia Keys, Elton John, Fergie, John Legend, The-Dream, Tony Williams, Kid Cudi, Charlie Wilson, Ryan Leslie, and La Roux’s Elly Jackson.

He described the combo as “completely seamless and completely ghetto as f**k.” He took bit and pieces from each artist, so don’t necessarily expect to hear full verses.

http://www.rap-up.com/2010/10/18/kanye-wests-biggest-collaboration-yet/

What are your thoughts now?

Swag

Ashhong said:
http://www.kanyetothe.com/forum/index.php?topic=4578.0

This is pretty cool. Some guy on the new equivalent to Kanyelive forums is remaking the songs Kanye performed on VH1 Storytellers. I think hes basically using acapellas and adding real instrument sounds to mimic the performance. I've downloaded a few and it sounds pretty good.

Can't wait for the "Touch The Sky" One, probably my favorite storytellers song. Back up singers take that song to new levels.

Ashhong said:
http://www.kanyetothe.com/forum/index.php?topic=4578.0

This is pretty cool. Some guy on the new equivalent to Kanyelive forums is remaking the songs Kanye performed on VH1 Storytellers. I think hes basically using acapellas and adding real instrument sounds to mimic the performance. I've downloaded a few and it sounds pretty good.

that's cool but what made the VH1 live performances was the vocal parts moreso than the live instrumentation to me.

Although I see that Elton John and Kid Cudi will be on All of the Lights, I can't help but wonder if this feature heavy song will kill my love for this track, which was already dying after hearing Fergie's cut. I don't think I'm hyped for it anymore... ._.

Ashhong

Fixed2BeBroken said:
that's cool but what made the VH1 live performances was the vocal parts moreso than the live instrumentation to me.

Agreed, definitely loved the background vocals. Still, its interesting and nice to hear his tracks with live instruments in HQ.

spindashing said:
Although I see that Elton John and Kid Cudi will be on All of the Lights, I can't help but wonder if this feature heavy song will kill my love for this track, which was already dying after hearing Fergie's cut. I don't think I'm hyped for it anymore... ._.

Where is the faith? You son of a bitch, get out!

Ashhong said:
Agreed, definitely loved the background vocals. Still, its interesting and nice to hear his tracks with live instruments in HQ.

Where is the faith? You son of a bitch, get out!
Well it did say that he took bits and pieces of them. I don't know, maybe there still is hope. :D

effzee

PhoenixDark said:
Orchestra of distraction strikes again.

Interestingly none of these songs have made a major dent on the charts; Power hi #22. I wonder what Def Jam thinks about all this, from the art work to a single that will presumably be what, 7 minutes at the least?

I largely agree. I like Kanye. I am not even sure if he has ghost writers. I think he is a decent rapper with clever punchlines and a pretty good producer with the sense of the epic. Its just his pursuit of being GOD that limits his music to me.

Nabs

@kanyewest
On the 33rd mix of "All of the Lights"

This dude should do what MJ did with Thriller. Scrap the 100th mix and go with the second one.

Swag

Can't believe that he actually has all those artists on it, with verses and not just production credit.

I have faith but really

Oozer3993

All of those features kinda shook my faith a little, but I'm getting it back:

" 'All the Lights' has John Legend, The-Dream, Ryan Leslie, Tony Williams, Charlie Wilson, Elly Jackson, Alicia Keys, Fergie, Kid Cudi, Rihanna and Elton John on the same song," he revealed. "Some are things where I took Alicia Keys and I panned her a hard left, and then took Elly Jackson and panned a hard right because I like the way their voices sound together. Or it's Elton on the piano, Kid Cudi doing the chorus and it sounds completely seamless and completely ghetto at the same time," he laughed. "That's what I got from the year I took off," he said, reverting back to his earlier comment about connecting with his inner 5-year-old.

The article that's from also mentions two other songs in the film, Keep Calling and Devil in a New Dress.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
From the article "Kanye West says he had considered suicide":
Playing over those visuals are West's next single, "All of the Lights," which he said features Elton John on piano and an all-star chorus including Alicia Keys, Rihanna, Fergie and John Legend.

A lot of these voices will be in harmony I think, all mashed together.

Rihanna - Yes
Alicia Keys - Yes
Elton John - Fuck Yes
Fergie - Fuck No
John Legend - Fuck Yes
The-Dream - Eh. No.
Tony Williams - Fuck Yes
Kid Cudi - Fuck Yes
Charlie Wilson - Fuck Yes
Ryan Leslie - Yes
Elly Jackson - Yes

It's going to be awesome. Hype has not been deflated because Fergie feature was already leaked, though at least we know its just NOT her. I just feel like many of these artists won't jive very well with the fast paced kind of song that it is. Drake seems to fit better than some of these people if they have a chorus me thinks. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Ye added a few people for the shits and giggles.

Cautiously optimistic.
Still creaming jeans listening to leaked version, have a segment of it as my ringtone.

Dartastic

Kanye West said:
They say people who are the best artists get paid the most, and those who are the worst get paid the least. In music, people who are the best artists get paid the least, and the people who are the worst get paid the most, so ... I just want to use my position.
So true.

PhoenixDark said:

You know, you say some really dumb shit at times. Smh

Recon

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
Orchestra of distraction strikes again.

Interestingly none of these songs have made a major dent on the charts; Power hi #22. I wonder what Def Jam thinks about all this, from the art work to a single that will presumably be what, 7 minutes at the least?

Who really cares what Def Jam thinks, Kanye will still release albums the way he wants, because his albums are almost guaranteed to sell well. They cant pull an Atlantic on him, and both of them know it.

Nabs

SpeedingUptoStop said:
And this is why I try to avoid Kanye leaks before the record. Can't fall in love with the demo versions.

i don't have a problem with demo versions, i don't mind keeping them in rotation. live versions are the ones that completely ruin the studio ones. they end up feeling slow and dead :(

enzo_gt said:
I just don't like his voice in general. Can't be bothered to listen to his albums. Never really liked his singles either.

the songs he did with kanye were pretty good. i'd much rather listen to him than ryan leslie.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ashhong said:
What does this mean, preview? Is there going to be a longer interview?
Its 3 minutes of snippets of a longer interview on Ellen, to be aired at a later date I think.

Oozer3993

enzo_gt said:
Its 3 minutes of snippets of a longer interview on Ellen, to be aired at a later date I think.

It's on today and he shows a clip from Runaway.

P.S. Kanye mentioned in an interview with MTV last night that there are 5 covers and you get them all with the album. He was also asked what G.O.O.D. Fridays songs were on the album and said Devil in a New Dress and Monster were on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom