• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

MickD

What an amazing album. Well worth the wait. Don't think Cudi will getting much more play ;)

Imagine if GOOD music day actually happened? I don't think I would be listening to big seans album as much either. Kanye killed it.

I can't stop driving around to the first song. Man.... :lol :lol :lol

Talon

MickD said:
What an amazing album. Well worth the wait. Don't think Cudi will getting much more play ;)

Imagine if GOOD music day actually happened? I don't think I would be listening to big seans album as much either. Kanye killed it.

I can't stop driving around to the first song. Man.... :lol :lol :lol
Dark Fantasy's such a great throwback.

Fucking RZA delivering.

Tokubetsu

enzo_gt said:
Everytime I see someone argue the merits of 808s over other Ye album, I can never seem to understand. And I've grown to like it more and more and appreciate it more and more but cut and dry better than TCD, it's not a tangible thought to me.

Edit: I thought you were waiting for the final Toku? :lol

Couldn't wait anymore (only one play though, like I did Cudi's...) and as far as 808s goes, its just extremely catchy and melodic. It (and to a much lesser degree, Graduation) is probably Kanye's most consistent album. I don't care for the ENTIRE middle chunk of Late Registration. My ideal version of LR would only be about 8-9 tracks long. College Dropout is great though and the only real misstep for me is workout plan but its not necessarily a bad track, it just feels kinda out of place to me.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
shadowcomplex said:
dark fantasy for me.
i always skip nm
You skip Blame Game? BLASPHEMY!

It's officially one of the best on the album for me, after listening to it continuously on the way to school and back.

Also, Hell of a Life's chorus is sick.

Talon- said:
God damn, I'm going to run this album raw once November 22nd finally rolls around.

Dark Fantasy, All of the Lights, Power, So Appalled, Monster, Blame Game.

He's fucking back, folks. AotY
Album of The Year easily.

QQ, Taylor Swift.

HiResDes

enzo_gt said:
You skip Blame Game? BLASPHEMY!

It's officially one of the best on the album for me, after listening to it continuously on the way to school and back.

Also, Hell of a Life's chorus is sick.
Naw Nikki Minaj' stupid ass intro at the beginning...That's what he's talking about. Right now this feels like my hip-hop/rap album of the year.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Dreams-Visions said:
wait, wait, what the fuck?
College Dropout and Late Registration are both full of filler. I mean tons and tons of filler. Graduation basically sucked with the exception of two songs (and I basically only like the remix of "Can't Tell Me Nothin'"). 808s feels like it's actually edited pretty well (with a couple of cringe worthy exceptions), and really that's my biggest problem with most of his music. He's got too big of an ego to reliably edit himself. I'll listen to the new album, like I do every one of his records, with an open mind.
But I am admittedly disappointed it's not 808s 2.

Tokubetsu

Talon- said:
I have no words.

Next you're going to say that you only liked "Stronger" and "Homecoming" off Graduation.

"Good Morning" and "Can't Tell Me Nothing" are the best tracks off Graduation but I still don't think it's as horrible as most of you make it out to be.
Drunk & Hot Girls > Tracks 7-12 on Late Registration

HiResDes

Lambtron said:
College Dropout and Late Registration are both full of filler. I mean tons and tons of filler. Graduation basically sucked with the exception of two songs (and I basically only like the remix of "Can't Tell Me Nothin'"). 808s feels like it's actually edited pretty well (with a couple of cringe worthy exceptions), and really that's my biggest problem with most of his music. He's got too big of an ego to reliably edit himself. I'll listen to the new album, like I do every one of his records, with an open mind.
But I am admittedly disappointed it's not 808s 2.
I like Late Registration the best, but I'll admit there's a little filler. College Dropout is not full of filler at all. Graduation is decent, there's definitely more than two good songs (I Wonder, Can't Tell Me Nothing, Barry Bonds, Everything I Am, etc.). 808's is good, but I feel like if you don't like any of his other stuff that you don't truly like Kanye. I have this remix album called "We Major" that made me appreciate Late Registration more, and so when I went back and revisited the harder, more serious tracks really came alive to me.

Talon

Tokubetsu said:
"Good Morning" and "Can't Tell Me Nothing" are the best tracks off Graduation but I still don't think it's as horrible as most of you make it out to be.
You're right on the first two marks and so, so wrong on that last one.

Drunk & Hot Girls is awful

Talon- said:
I have no words.
I don't either.

Even if you snip off the "filler" off College Dropout, you're still left with:

We Don't Care
All Falls Down
I'll Fly Away
Spaceship
Jesus Walks
Never Let Me Down
Get Em' High
The New Workout Plan
Breathe In Breathe Out
Through The Wire

that's 8
10?
songs of transcendent substance. Certified classics. Fuck the bullshit.

College Dropout does have filler

-Get Em High
-Workout Plan
-Breath in Breath Out

That's not a lot by any standard. LR...

-Crack Music
-We Major
-Bring Me Down

More than half of Graduation is either filler or just bad, but I know everyone disagrees with me there.

HiResDes said:
Right now this feels like my hip-hop/rap album of the year.

o04020.jpg

I liked Big Boi's album, but it was fairly inconsistent throughout. Some dope songs sprinkled in there though.

And Die Antwoord too....:D

Tokubetsu said:
wuuuut
Crack Music, Addiction & Roses >> Drunk & Hot Girls

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Dreams-Visions said:
I don't either.

Even if you snip off the "filler" off College Dropout, you're still left with:

We Don't Care
I'll Fly Away
Spaceship
The New Workout Plan
Breathe In Breathe Out
These songs are unremarkable to me.

PhoenixDark said:
College Dropout does have filler

-Get Em High
never in your life was Get 'Em High filler. not after the way Common ripped that song a new asshole.

PhoenixDark said:
More than half of Graduation is either filler or just bad, but I know everyone disagrees with me there.
maybe we need to define "filler". Graduation didn't have a lot of introspection-inducing songs, but most of it was very enjoyable to listen to. Are we saying songs that aren't exceedingly deep are nothing but "filler"?

if so, I disagree fiercely.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
These songs are unremarkable to me.
that only means you can't relate to them or their subject matter. which is fine.

Swag

How long till the grammies?

Would love to see Kanye perform Monster and All of the Lights at the show.

DAMN, can't wait to see a live performance of All of the Lights with all the features at the Grammies.

Can't Wait

Talon- said:
Nobody talks shit about "Get 'Em High."
seriously! I'm at a loss.

"You's a BITCH, I got ones that are thicker than you..."

let's fucking go. I get chills every time it gets to that verse.

HiResDes said:
Yeah I agree...But don't talk shit about Crack Music - It's probably Kanye's hardest track ever.
it is hard. but for me?

Never Let Me Down.

Tokubetsu

HiResDes said:
I forgot that track even existed, since it's been deleted off my Itunes since day one. Yeah Toku you gotta be trolling, those are some of my favorite tracks.

I used to really like Crack Music and can give you guys that one. My Way Home too but seriously, I've NEVER cared for Roses, Bring Me Down or Addiction. Bottom line, when i put on his albums, I skip around CD, Graduation and 808s the least.

Also, wtf speeding. Spaceship will probably go down as my favorite Kanye track. Ever.

Dreams-Visions said:
maybe we need to define "filler". Graduation didn't have a lot of introspection-inducing songs, but most of it was very enjoyable to listen to. Are we saying songs that aren't exceedingly deep are nothing but "filler"?

if so, I disagree fiercely.

To me filler is a track I never want to hear again, or something that is so average it's boring. Has nothing to do with the depth of the song; Good Life has little depth but it's dope as hell

Songs like Good Morning, Champion, I Wonder, Barry Bonds, Drunk/Hot Girls, and especially Homecoming and Big Brother are average to bad imo. Homecoming is kind of the poster boy for the overproduction on the album, with Kanye taking what was an amazing song (the original with John Legend) and making it bad. And Big Brother is an embarrassing love letter I can't take seriously.

Swag

PhoenixDark said:
To me filler is a track I never want to hear again, or something that is so average it's boring. Has nothing to do with the depth of the song; Good Life has little depth but it's dope as hell

Songs like Good Morning, Champion, I Wonder, Barry Bonds, Drunk/Hot Girls, and especially Homecoming and Big Brother are average to bad imo. Homecoming is kind of the poster boy for the overproduction on the album, with Kanye taking what was an amazing song (the original with John Legend) and making it bad. And Big Brother is an embarrassing love letter I can't take seriously.

Kobestare.gif

Ether

Tokubetsu

PhoenixDark said:

Yea but see, just because a track has "Depth" or is "lyrical" doesn't actually mean its something that sounds good (to me). Which is where I think a lot of my beef with LR comes from. I used to dig it a lot when it first came out but everytime I go back to it, I like it less and less. It's the last Kanye album I ever go back to now.

Talon

"Homecoming" is bad, but "Good Morning" is one of my favorite Kanye Tracks of all time.

Gets me psyched up in the morning.

On this day we become legendary
Everything we dreamed of

Ephemeris

PhoenixDark said:
To me filler is a track I never want to hear again, or something that is so average it's boring.

Songs like Good Morning, Champion, I Wonder, Barry Bonds, Drunk/Hot Girls, and especially Homecoming and Big Brother are average to bad imo..

I love Good Morning and I Wonder. :/

Time to take you to that Ghetto University.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
ITT: Newfound honesty brings out my hostility :lol

Addiction and We Major are the two songs that keep LR below TCD for me. We Major only because it could've been composed and handled better.

Ephemeris said:
I love Good Morning and I Wonder. :/

Time to take you to that Ghetto University.
wtf people hate I Wonder now too? wtf wtf wtf. Easily one of the better tracks off of Graduation.

Tokubetsu said:
Yea but see, just because a track has "Depth" or is "lyrical" doesn't actually mean its something that sounds good (to me). Which is where I think a lot of my beef with LR comes from. I used to dig it a lot when it first came out but everytime I go back to it, I like it less and less. It's the last Kanye album I ever go back to now.

Yup that's what I said bro :p

There are plenty of great club songs without much depth. If it works as a song, it works.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOLvByh2KSU

Ultimately hip hop relies a lot of lyrics, so often my favorite albums/songs are quite lyrical. But it doesn't stop me from enjoying a good song

Tokubetsu

enzo_gt said:

Addiction and We Major are the two songs that keep LR below TCD for me. We Major only because it could've been composed and handled better.

wtf people hate I Wonder now too? wtf wtf wtf. Easily one of the better tracks off of LR.

Let's all hug and agree that Drive Slow (especially the video version with the strings) is the best track on Late Registration.

PhoenixDark said:
Yup that's what I said bro :p

There are plenty of great club songs without much depth. If it works as a song, it works.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOLvByh2KSU

Ultimately hip hop relies a lot of lyrics, so often my favorite albums/songs are quite lyrical. But it doesn't stop me from enjoying a good song

Yea, Completely fucked that up. Reading comprehension!

Talon

Tokubetsu said:
Don't know how you could ever call Homecoming terrible. The beat alone.
Honestly, it needed a heavier beat and a slightly faster pace. The end of that song always felt awkward to me.

And, for the record, I like Chris Martin/Coldplay.

Ashhong

enzo_gt said:

wtf people hate I Wonder now too? wtf wtf wtf. Easily one of the better tracks off of Graduation.

We Major is baller music.

And PD hating Good Morning? How dare you. That is maybe the best intro track ever. Yes, better than Dark Fantasy. Love hearing that come on.

HiResDes

Did you guys peep this line on Gorgeous - "Choke a south park writer with a fish stick" :lol

Edit: Forgot all about how good Good Morning is...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom