• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
enzo_gt said:
Your officially the GAF guinea pig for this album, to see how someone who hasn't heard jack shit so far finds it. Or have you heard stuff so far? And I disagree with points 2-5 there :lol
I haven't heard anything. I've basically gone into every one of his albums blind, and will do the same with this. I'll report back with impressions once I cop the album. Maybe I can hit a few more ignore lists when the time comes!

PhoenixDark said:
I'm curious, what's your filler list for CD and LR?
This is going to be tough, I haven't listened to either album in several years. My biggest issue is with the sheer number of skits on both albums, I think CD has something like 6 or 7 and LR has 5. I prefer LR to CD overall. I think the whole second half of LR is mostly forgettable (though I really like "Diamonds From Sierra Leone"). The album is very front heavy and way too long, so the last third draaaags. As far as CD goes, I basically really really love "Through the Wire," "Jesus Walks," "All Falls Down," "The New Workout Plan," "We Don't Care," and "Never Let Me Down." The rest I could pretty much take or leave, though I have a major hatred for "Slow Jamz" which borders on irrational.

MMaRsu

shadowcomplex said:
2q0myhw.jpg

Ya rly no idea who that is :p. Maybe it's for the best.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
sdornan said:
She's really not half as bad as shit like Lady Gaga or Katy Perry...
Lady GaGa has talent. It's the shitty "alternative to the extreme" persona that's annoying.
Katy Perry has tits of a goddess. It's the talent that's lacking.
Taylor Swift, I'm not so sure, I don't even think shes attractive, or that talented. Not into country so I can't really judge.

sdornan

enzo_gt said:
Taylor Swift, I'm not so sure, I don't even think shes attractive, or that talented. Not into country so I can't really judge.
But she's not country at all... it's 100% pop, really...

HiResDes

Lambtron said:
I haven't heard anything. I've basically gone into every one of his albums blind, and will do the same with this. I'll report back with impressions once I cop the album. Maybe I can hit a few more ignore lists when the time comes!

This is going to be tough, I haven't listened to either album in several years. My biggest issue is with the sheer number of skits on both albums, I think CD has something like 6 or 7 and LR has 5. I prefer LR to CD overall. I think the whole second half of LR is mostly forgettable (though I really like "Diamonds From Sierra Leone"). The album is very front heavy and way too long, so the last third draaaags. As far as CD goes, I basically really really love "Through the Wire," "Jesus Walks," "All Falls Down," "The New Workout Plan," "We Don't Care," and "Never Let Me Down." The rest I could pretty much take or leave, though I have a major hatred for "Slow Jamz" which borders on irrational.

It wasn't your disagreement or opinion that made me wanna put you on my ignore list...But you resorted to name-calling when we were just having a discussion, which was a pretty bitch move.

Ashhong

enzo_gt said:
Dark Fantasy > Good Morning. Sorry bro.

Just bumped this in my car. Holy shit, I get chills from the "So highhhh" and then the bass kicks in. Like someone else said, DF is a better song, but GM is a better intro, just BARELY.

shadowcomplex said:

I didn't know who she was until the Kanye moment, and even afterward I didn't know any of her songs. Then a friend played that "she likes clean clothes I like jeans with holes" or whatever the hell she's saying. I was like "eh, sounds like country Miley Cyrus"

Ashhong said:
Just bumped this in my car. Holy shit, I get chills from the "So highhhh" and then the bass kicks in. Like someone else said, DF is a better song, but GM is a better intro, just BARELY.
hard to top Good Morning as an intro song. in all fairness.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'll cave in and say Good Morning is a better intro song, but I like Dark Fantasy better as a song.

Though, I really don't like when the song kicks back in after the silence. The timing seems a bit off, and keeps putting me off as a result.

PBY

Banned
enzo_gt said:
I'll cave in and say Good Morning is a better intro song, but I like Dark Fantasy better as a song.

Though, I really don't like when the song kicks back in after the silence. The timing seems a bit off, and keeps putting me off as a result.
Every damn time it kicks back in I check my iTunes library, because I think I have the track on loop and its starting again or something:lol

peterb0y said:
Every damn time it kicks back in I check my iTunes library, because I think I have the track on loop and its starting again or something:lol
the first time that happened to me, I went to the next track because I thought that was the end of the song. i listened to the rest of the entire album, assuming that track 1 was about 1:30.

Ashhong

HiResDes said:
This is probably my new favorite verse:

“You’re my devil you’re my angel / you’re my heaven, you’re my hell / You’re my now, you’re my forever / You’re my freedom, you’re my jail / You’re my lies, you’re my truth / You’re my questions, you’re my proof / You’re my stress and you’re my masseuse.

Edit: Oh yeah and Last Call is one of my top five favorite tracks, or at least it used to be, this latest album has made things unclear.

This is also Kanye's favorite verse, I think ever. Though he may have meant on this CD.

peterb0y said:

This is what I thought the first time. I was like, why is the song repeating like a minute in?? It's alright if you're expecting it though.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Don't know about all time favourite, but this is definitely, definitely up there. Top 3.

I wanna tell the whole world about a friend of mine
This little light of mine and I'm finna let it shine
I'm finna take yall back to them better times
I'm finna talk about my mama if yall don't mind
I was three years old, when you and I moved to the Chi
Late December, harsh winter gave me a cold
You fixed me up something that was good for my soul
Famous homemade chicken soup, can I have another bowl?
You work late nights just to keep on the lights
Mommy got me training wheels so I could keep on my bike
And you would give anything in this world
Michael Jackson leather and a glove, but didn't give me a curl
And you never put no man over me
And I love you for that mommy cant you see?
Seven years old, caught you with tears in your eyes
Cuz a nigga cheatin, telling you lies, then I started to cry
As we knelt on the kitchen floor
I said mommy Imma love you till you don't hurt no more
And when I'm older, you aint gotta work no more
And Imma get you that mansion that we couldn't afford
See you're, unbreakable, unmistakable
Highly capable, lady that's makin loot
A livin legend too, just look at what heaven do
Send us an angel, and I thank you (Hey Mama)

Hits close to home doesn't even bring to describe why I hold it high. At times, it really does make me tear up.

Talon

Dreams-Visions said:
bless us with a verse, good sir. :D
people talk so much shit about me at barbershops
they forget to get their haircut
okay fair enough, the streets is flarin' up
cause they want gun-talk, or I don't wear enough
baggy clothes, Reebok's, or A-di-dos
can I add that he do spaz out at his shows
so say goodbye to the NAACP award
goodbye to the In-di-a Arie award
they'd rather give me the nigga-please award
but I'll just take the I-got-alotta-cheese award
You ask, I deliver.

MMaRsu said:
Last Call is CERTAINLY one of my favorite Kanye tracks for sure. I used to listen to that track soooooooo much..

Bowser said:
I don't even know why but my favorite Kanye song has always been Last Call...I doubt anyone feels the same

"Mayonnaise color Benz I push Miracle Whips"

That entire first album Kanye made up 100x over for his mediocre rapping technique with clever lines and turn of phrases

Edit: And the sick beats + guest spots of course

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
how do you respond the students/
and refresh the page/
and restart the memory/
and re spark the soul/
and re build the energy/
we stop the ignorance/
we kill the enemy/
..etc
can't remb the rest

not fav but up there for sure:D

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Knux-Future said:
The grammy version will make you cry like a bitch...

all de time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HLLXxxpnM8

the performance is even more tearjerking.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4d7o0_kanye-west-hey-mama-live-grammy-awa_music

shit
there are no words man, the emotion in that performance is unparalleled. That was painful to watch and still is.. A lot of people I know hadn't heard the song before that performance and thought he wrote it just after his mom passed, and it's amazing how much emotion the song still carries.

Every great rapper has done a song about their mom. Pac did it pretty damn well especially.

Ashhong

N-n-n-now, my flow
Is in the pocket like wallets, I got the bounce like hydrolics
I can't call it, I got the swerve like alchoooool-ics
My freshman year I was goin through hell, a problem
Still I, built up the nerve to drop my ass up outta collllllll-ege
My teacher said I'se a loser, I told her why don't you kill me
I give a fuck if you fail me, I'm gonna folllllllllll-ow
My heart, and if you follow the charts, to the plaques or the stacks
You ain't gotta guess who's back, you see
I'm so shy that you thought it was bashfull but this
bastard's flow will bash a skull
And I will, cut your girl like Pastor Troy
And I don't, usually smoke but pass the 'dro
And I won't, give you that money that you askin fo'
Why you think, me and Dame cool, we assholes
That's why we here your music in fast fo'
Cuz we don't wanna here that weak shit no mo'

My favorite

Fuck, I'm crying

Ashhong

:lol I love his flow too much for it to be a throwaway track. Crowd goes crazy when he does it live.

Whos the blonde chick before Ne-yo in that performance video? Carrie Underwood? Fuck shes hot.

Swag

Damn I just realised that Kanye isn't eligible for this years grammy selections.

Woulda been nice to see

Jay Z - Blueprint 3
Eminem - Recovery
Drake - Thank me Later
Kanye - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

All in one category.

Ashhong

Sebulon3k said:
Damn I just realised that Kanye isn't eligible for this years grammy selections.

Woulda been nice to see

Jay Z - Blueprint 3
Eminem - Recovery
Drake - Thank me Later
Kanye - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

All in one category.

wait, so do we have to wait until 2012 for him to win AOTY?

Lupe Fiasco - Lasers
J Cole - Cole World
Nicki Minaj - Pink Friday

:D

Swag

Ashhong said:
wait, so do we have to wait until 2012 for him to win AOTY?

Lupe Fiasco - Lasers
J Cole - Cole World
Nicki Minaj - Pink Friday

:D

Dreams?

And yes have to wait till 2012, it would be funny if he loses to a country artist or T Swift :lol

Swag

Seriously I'm almost as big of a J. Cole stan as I am Kanye but I don't see him getting nominated for Grammy's 2012.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Sebulon3k said:
Seriously I'm almost as big of a J. Cole stan as I am Kanye but I don't see him getting nominated for Grammy's 2012.
Yup.

Also, saying nice things about Nicki Minaj or even mentioning Pink Friday with praise in the same sentence should be a bannable offence.

Swag

People on KanyetoThe are suggesting the leaked version of MBDTF isn't final because of inconsistencies between Kanye Tweets and what we've received :lol

Ashhong

Sebulon3k said:
People on KanyetoThe are suggesting the leaked version of MBDTF isn't final because of inconsistencies between Kanye Tweets and what we've received :lol
:lol

Would be pretty crazy if there is some other version out there though

DIAND ends way too abruptly. Is that just mine?

DominoKid

Sebulon3k said:

theyre obsessed to the point of insanity

Swag

So

On my 6th listen.

1. Lost in the World
2. Blame Game
3. Hell of a Life
4. So Appalled
5. All of the Lights

Dark Fantasy is probably equal to AOTL, but DAMN. Kanye outdid himself on Lost in the World

I'm so jealous of people going into this album fresh, think some of these songs woulda make me cry tears of joy :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom