• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamspy

When the first real info about this record came out, didn't he say it was going to be pure boom bap shit? Because if so it's pretty big miss.:lol

Best stuff came out on GOOD Fridays. All of the Lights is one of the most annoying songs I've ever heard. It's like he's really trying to troll his own fans. Only a couple of the unreleased cuts stand out, and they aren't in the same realm as Monster or So Appalled.

It's really hard to judge it since the best material has been out for months now.

MMaRsu

HiResDes said:
I think you're fucking insane...Monster, really?

Monster is AMAZING

kamspy said:
When the first real info about this record came out, didn't he say it was going to be pure boom bap shit? Because if so it's pretty big miss.:lol

Best stuff came out on GOOD Fridays. All of the Lights is one of the most annoying songs I've ever heard. It's like he's really trying to troll his own fans. Only a couple of the unreleased cuts stand out, and they aren't in the same realm as Monster or So Appalled.

It's really hard to judge it since the best material has been out for months now.

I think it's a great album but to be honest I like J.Cole's mixtapes more than this album. I'm sure Friday Night Lights is gonna be sick as hell too.

HiResDes

Nikki's verse on Monster makes me want to rip the hairs out of my head. But I'd agree, Boom Bap Shit AOTY = Live From The Tape Deck?

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
HiResDes said:
Nikki's verse on Monster makes me want to rip the hairs out of my head.
same cept i still can't stand fergie on aotl

Fixed2BeBroken said:
great response, instead of supporting your lambasting of my opinion, you do a wordplay on my name. clever. you are great at supporting your comments!
common man lifes to short to complain :lol

HiResDes

Those are the only two features I really wasn't feeling, Fergie and Nikki...I think Ross and Swiss even did decent jobs, surprisingly. I still think the best songs of the album are those that aren't so overproduced. All of the lights and Monster also are the most overproduced tracks on the whole album. The Blame Game sounds genius in comparison because it's so toned down and reflective.

Swag

When Chris Rock goes "Yeezy Taught you Well" In Blame Game, can't help but laugh.

Meshes so well with the beat, and the atmosphere of the song at that moment :lol

All of the Lights falls apart after Rhianna and Kanye are finished :(

It could have been greatness. Also LOL@ RollingStone magazine. Hate that shit. I haven't heard the whole album yet but I highly doubt this is a 5 star one let alone Kanye's best.

kamspy

A lot of my feelings about the album are shaped by how hyped I was about Kanye doing an album of pure raw shit. I like every track outside of All of the Lights, but the best songs are already in my heavy rotation and have been for a long time.

I can't really give a final opinion on it for a while. Right now there's a real stark contrast between the stuff I've been bumping (Power, Monster, So Appalled, Devil in a New Dress) and the stuff I hadn't heard (Hell of a Life, Dark Fantasy, Gorgeous). Some of the GOOD stuff that didn't make the cut, is IMO, better than some of the stuff that did. See Me Now, Lord Lord Lord, the CRS cut and Good Friday (the song), are as good or better.

But I like happy go lucky Kanye. College Dropout is my shit. Drug dealin just to get by.....

Well comparing finished tracks Monster IS better than All of the Lights, that one just turns messy after the two minute mark.

The beats for both are ill though. Love them both for their own reasons.

MMaRsu

Tokubetsu said:
Shutup MMaRsu, no one cares about your weird ass opinions.

You shutup! Monster > Lights bullshit

Discotheque said:
All of the Lights falls apart after Rhianna and Kanye are finished :(

It could have been greatness. Also LOL@ RollingStone magazine. Hate that shit. I haven't heard the whole album yet but I highly doubt this is a 5 star one let alone Kanye's best.

Certainly not Kanye's best. That one remains College Dropout.

HiResDes

Are those two really everyone's favorite tracks? I feel like I'm going crazy now. @Disco, It's definitely a 5 star album broseph. If you haven't heard the whole album yet, don't even speak on it. Blame Game is fucking essential.

Don't get the hate for Minaj. She has the verse on Monster, and the best verse I've heard on the album (granted I've only seen the film and heard the GOOD Friday tracks)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
kamspy said:
A lot of my feelings about the album are shaped by how hyped I was about Kanye doing an album of pure raw shit. I like every track outside of All of the Lights, but the best songs are already in my heavy rotation and have been for a long time.

I can't really give a final opinion on it for a while. Right now there's a real stark contrast between the stuff I've been bumping (Power, Monster, So Appalled, Devil in a New Dress) and the stuff I hadn't heard (Hell of a Life, Dark Fantasy, Gorgeous). Some of the GOOD stuff that didn't make the cut, is IMO, better than some of the stuff that did. See Me Now, Lord Lord Lord, the CRS cut and Good Friday (the song), are as good or better.

But I like happy go lucky Kanye. College Dropout is my shit. Drug dealin just to get by.....
The album is a lot less dark and a lot more twisted fantasty. I'd assume if it was Good Ass Job, it would've been more raw and cocky and street due to the theme, probably also the reason why Hell of a life and so appalled are the oldest songs to make it onto the album, and also two of the rawest.

Also, I still don't get the Monster hate. Song is amazing, Bon Iver provides an excellent and juxtapatory intro and outro, Ross did his thing, ye did his thing, jay did his thing and Nickis verse grew on me too (even though it's the weakest on the song.

I'm going to join y'all in this toast to the great hip hop album that has been crafted before our eyes.

George-Bush-Toast.jpg

HiResDes

Bowser said:
Lord, Lord, Lord is terrible and definitely not something I would have wanted on the album :lol

I have to admit the chorus is terrible, nearly inaudible, but I like Rae's and Mos's verses. Even if you love Nikki's verse, you'd have to get why people hate it. It sounds stupid as fuck unless you're into that exaggerated spastic flow bullshit.

BTW, I'm the only one that hates Monster and All of the Lights...But I like feeling like everyone. :lol

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I don't think he changed any song for the worse IMO. Most of the songs you've heard the first time caused a big impact on you and that's probably the version that stayed with you. I'm pretty sure if none of you would've never heard any of these songs before listening to the album, you'd be jizzing all over this record.

I thought it would feel overproduced as well.... But listening through this whole album at once is really easy for me. Everything flows so well. Never felt that with a Kanye album (except Graduation)

Discotheque said:
Well comparing finished tracks Monster IS better than All of the Lights, that one just turns messy after the two minute mark.

The beats for both are ill though. Love them both for their own reasons.
yep. but for me, the AoTL beat got too busy. I don't think it needed that drum track that comes on after a few seconds.

enzo_gt said:
The album is a lot less dark and a lot more twisted fantasty. I'd assume if it was Good Ass Job, it would've been more raw and cocky and street due to the theme, probably also the reason why Hell of a life and so appalled are the oldest songs to make it onto the album, and also two of the rawest.

Also, I still don't get the Monster hate. Song is amazing, Bon Iver provides an excellent and juxtapatory intro and outro, Ross did his thing, ye did his thing, jay did his thing and Nickis verse grew on me too (even though it's the weakest on the song.

I'm going to join y'all in this toast to the great hip hop album that has been crafted before our eyes.

George-Bush-Toast.jpg
obamatoast.jpg

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I have a hard time picking up a favorite here. All the songs are amazing to me, sure I already listened to Monster and So Appalled before but that doesn't mean they are not awesome tracks anymore.

But if I really have to pick one, I'd go with Blame Game.

Devil in a New Dress surprised me, I thought it being 7 minutes long was overkill but the album version of the song is so good.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Tokubetsu said:
My opinion > Yours.
Everytime I see someone argue the merits of 808s over other Ye album, I can never seem to understand. And I've grown to like it more and more and appreciate it more and more but cut and dry better than TCD, it's not a tangible thought to me.

Edit: I thought you were waiting for the final Toku? :lol

enzo_gt said:
Everytime I see someone argue the merits of 808s over other Ye album, I can never seem to understand. And I've grown to like it more and more and appreciate it more and more but cut and dry better than TCD, it's not a tangible thought to me.
nor should it be. TCD is a classic and perhaps the definitive hip-hop album of the last decade. it touched everyone in some way.

HiResDes

I like the direction of Late Registration more *Runs*

I love that every else loves Blame Game too. And also anyone that loves Devil in a New Dress, I think the religious contemplation felt in the song is incredible.

HiResDes said:
I like the direction of Late Registration more *Runs*
it was also a heavy album, so I have no problem with that.

I enjoyed the lyrical value of Late Reg and College Dropout significantly more than Graduation, but I loved Graduation precisely because it was a bit lighter in spirit and had superior beats. because sometimes you don't want to get deep and introspective. you just want to ride out.

Talon

God damn, I'm going to run this album raw once November 22nd finally rolls around.

Dark Fantasy, All of the Lights, Power, So Appalled, Monster, Blame Game.

He's fucking back, folks. AotY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom