• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
HiResDes said:
808's is good, but I feel like if you don't like any of his other stuff that you don't truly like Kanye.
Normally I wouldn't bother with a stupid comment like this by a fuckwit like you, but here goes. First of all, I don't have to like everything he does to "like" him. That's pretty much the stupidest idea of all time. Every single music artist or band that I completely adore has songs or even entire albums I just don't like. Shocker, I know. I like quite a few of Kanye's songs, and I really adore 808s on the whole. I just don't tug on my dick to everything the guy has ever put out.

- I think he's a spectacular producer.
- I think as a rapper he is okay.
- I think as a person he's a cock.
- I think on the whole, he's wildly overrated.
- I think that his albums have a lot of filler, but also a lot of great songs (Exception:Graduation which pretty much sucks).
- I will listen to his new album. I may like it, I may hate it, but I assure you it won't bring me to tears (unless it's as laughably bad as Graduation).

I was sort of hoping that the final version of So Appalled would have an actual verse from RZA but it still remains my 2nd favorite after Dark Fantasy. After that its Christian Dior Denim, Don't look down, Joy, and Take one for the team, all of which I love and none made the cut. Still the best album this year.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Tokubetsu said:
Let's all hug and agree that Drive Slow (especially the video version with the strings) is the best track on Late Registration.
I might get flamed for this but,

Diamonds = Drive Slow > Heard Em Say > Rest of the tracks on LR. Also T.I.'s verse on Drive Slow's video version sucks.

Diamonds was a fucking ill song when it first dropped, not to mention what Jay did to the remix, still one of the coldest lines I've heard from Jay:

I'm not a businessman, I'm a business, man / Let me handle my business, damn

Ashhong said:
We Major is baller music.

And PD hating Good Morning? How dare you. That is maybe the best intro track ever. Yes, better than Dark Fantasy. Love hearing that come on.
Dark Fantasy > Good Morning. Sorry bro.

Lambtron said:
Normally I wouldn't bother with a stupid comment like this by a fuckwit like you, but here goes. First of all, I don't have to like everything he does to "like" him. That's pretty much the stupidest idea of all time. Every single music artist or band that I completely adore has songs or even entire albums I just don't like. Shocker, I know. I like quite a few of Kanye's songs, and I really adore 808s on the whole. I just don't tug on my dick to everything the guy has ever put out.

- I think that his albums have a lot of filler, but also a lot of great songs (Exception Graduation which sucks).
- I will listen to his new album. I may like it, I may hate it, but I assure you it won't bring me to tears (unless it's as laughably bad as Graduation).
Your officially the GAF guinea pig for this album, to see how someone who hasn't heard jack shit so far finds it. Or have you heard stuff so far? And I disagree with points 2-5 there :lol

Meier

808s is his best album prior to this. Easily. And I've been there since the first record dropped -- I put the freaking bear sticker on my old desktop for fuck's sake. :lol

Haven't heard this one yet though.

Lambtron said:

- I think that his albums have a lot of filler, but also a lot of great songs (Exception:Graduation which pretty much sucks).

I'm curious, what's your filler list for CD and LR?

sdornan

Reading his Twitter has given me more respect for him than any media appearances. He definitely has an ego, but he seems like he genuinely has his heart in the right place.

This thread is a bit too crazy. Kanye what have you done?!

Hell, who are you people?! Too many new faces around here! This shit is ... fucking ridikalous!

Brinbe

enzo_gt said:
Never said it was filler, just it could've been handled better.
Nah, not you, Enzo. I think it was PD that put it in that category... but seriously, I ain't even mad, everyone has different opinions and it takes a special artist to give people with wildly differing tastes something memorable to love. And this page perfectly illustrates that.

HiResDes

sdornan said:
Reading his Twitter has given me more respect for him than any media appearances. He definitely has an ego, but he seems like he genuinely has his heart in the right place.

I wrote this about him in the suicide thread, and I still stand by it

HiResDes said:
He's no more an asshole than 90 percent of mainstream rappers. Am I seriously supposed to give a shit that he interrupted some girl during some award show? Or am I really that surprised that he's super cocky after having made millions of dollars and being one of the top three highest-selling rap artists in the world? News at fucking eleven, rappers are cocky and boastful. The funny thing is, artistically Kanye is quite possibly the most contemplative mainstream rapper in the world and the one time he opens up publically about feeling vulnerable he gets shit on...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
sdornan said:
This and interviews he's done. Like, I can't argue for any of the reasonings he's given behind doing the stupid shit he's done. Now he's pretty much "love me or hate me, because I know I've fucked up and I'm telling you I only do it from the music."

Go watch early videos of Kanye West, or the bits with him in Fade To Black, dude genuinely loves the music.

Good post HiResDes, I'll always stand behind Kanye, cause to me he's one of the select few in the music industry that have the fucking balls to go get done what they feel needs to get done, and what they feel is right.

sdornan said:

I belonged to the *Kanye is a great artist but a shitty person* group. However, this comeback is full force and the amount of work he put in throughout this whole endeavor must be tiring, with all the GOOD Friday tracks, tweets, appearances, etc, etc, I have gained a lot of respect for him as a person, which makes me appreciate the album even more.

Bowser

Meier said:
808s is his best album prior to this. Easily. And I've been there since the first record dropped -- I put the freaking bear sticker on my old desktop for fuck's sake. :lol

Haven't heard this one yet though.

In your opinion, which thankfully seems to be the minority.

It's nice for what it is, but let's not get it twisted.

Ephemeris

My face while reading this thread / listening to the album:

12-Jay-Z-Bop.gif

I'm prolly a lil late, but I'm loving me some Blame Game.
I'm coming in when I feel like, To turn this muh'fucker up only if it feels right

And I'm with Talon- Good Morning was the better intro.

PhoenixDark said:
To me filler is a track I never want to hear again, or something that is so average it's boring.
damn. but I understand. Some of those songs were great club bangers, though. Sometimes you have to appreciate a song for its designated purpose. You can't be mad that a Corvette won't give you a Lincoln ride, right? because it has a different purpose.

Anyway, my favorite Kanye verse.

I get down for my grandfather who took my momma
Made her sit that seat where white folks aint wanna us to eat
At the tender age of 6, she was arrested for the sit-ins
An' with that in my blood i was born to be different

Now ni*gas can't make it to ballots to chose leadership
But we can make it to Jacobs or t the dealership
That's why I hear new music and I just don't be feelin' it
Racism still alive, they just be consealin' it

But i know they don't want me in the damn club
They even made me show I.D. to get up in to Sam's Club
I did dirt and went to church and get my hands scrubbed
I swear I've been baptized at least 3 or 4 times

But in the land where ni*ga's praise, Yukon's and gettin' paid
It gonna take a lot more than coupons to get us saved
Like it take a lot more than do-rags to get you waves

Nothin' sad as that day, my girl father past away
So I promised to Mr. Rainey, "I'm gonna marry your daughter
And you know i gotta thank you for they way that she was brought up."
And I know that you were smiling when u see that car i bought her
And you sent tears from heaven when u seen my car get balled up

But I can't complaint what the accident did to my left eye
Cuz look what a accident did to Left Eye
First Aaliyah and now romeo must die
I know a got angels watchin me from the other side

Kanye the Magnificent.

GQman2121 said:
"Get Um High" was filler?

SMH
yea man. nothing about that track or the way Common in particular assaulted that beat that can be considered "forgettable". It took me awhile to appreciate it, but now? It's one of my go-to tracks when I want to get the blood flowing.

Common flipped on "Savage Mode" on that track. Whoooooo shit.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
HiResDes said:
Did you guys peep this line on Gorgeous - "Choke a south park writer with a fish stick" :lol

Edit: Forgot all about how good Good Morning is...:D

dud not catch that, nice:lol
Talon- said:
Everytime that Fergie verse comes in, I just shake my head and imagine what could have been.
Goddamnit, Billboard's 2010 Woman of the Year.
It must have been an awful year for women.
i really don't want to but i might switch aotl with the one with rihanna only version.

sdornan

I just appreciate how honest and straightforward he is willing to be on Twitter, even if some people might read his ramblings/rantings and dismiss them as crazy bullshit. Most artists at his level of popularity would be filtered down through multiple levels of PR. Above all, his message seems to be "I'm sorry guys, I just want to make good music that people like to listen to", and that's cool with me.

Kusagari

I've never really thought of Kanye as an actual asshole. You can pretty much see that he doesn't mean anything with 99% of the controversial stuff he does. It's not like he went up there and told Taylor she sucked. He let his emotions get the best of him and went up to voice his opinions like a moron.

He just really needs to learn to keep his emotions in check. He's too reactionary a person and never actually thinks before he does anything.

MMaRsu

PhoenixDark said:
College Dropout does have filler

-Get Em High
-Workout Plan
-Breath in Breath Out

That's not a lot by any standard. LR...

-Crack Music
-We Major
-Bring Me Down

More than half of Graduation is either filler or just bad, but I know everyone disagrees with me there.

But get em high is awesome.. :(

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dreams-Visions said:
damn. but I understand. Some of those songs were great club bangers, though. Sometimes you have to appreciate a song for its designated purpose. You can't be mad that a Corvette won't give you a Lincoln ride, right? because it has a different purpose.

Anyway, my favorite Kanye verse.

Kanye the Magnificent.
Dude, that's also one of my favourite Ye verses.

I know Ye gets docked a lot for not being an amazing lyricst, but I always consider him a pretty decent one. A lot of the stuff he raps about (still) is thought provoking and something interesting to say the least.

Talon- said:
"Everything I Am" deserves more love.
bless us with a verse, good sir. :D

enzo_gt said:
Dude, that's also one of my favourite Ye verses.

I know Ye gets docked a lot for not being an amazing lyricst, but I always consider him a pretty decent one. A lot of the stuff he raps about (still) is thought provoking and something interesting to say the least.
yessir. you don't have to be Lupe or Nas on the mic to make a song that forces people to think...or that touches peoples passion/pain.

Brinbe

Kusagari said:
I've never really thought of Kanye as an actual asshole. You can pretty much see that he doesn't mean anything with 99% of the controversial stuff he does. It's not like he went up there and told Taylor she sucked. He let his emotions get the best of him and went up to voice his opinions like a moron.

He just really needs to learn to keep his emotions in check. He's too reactionary a person and never actually thinks before he does anything.
Seriously, one listen to Last Call off CD tells you everything you need to know about him, his ego, and why he sometimes acts like he does. Couldn't hate at all.

MMaRsu

enzo_gt said:
Never said it was filler, just it could've been handled better.

Could have been handled better how exactly? We Major is a dope ass track

Bowser said:
I don't even know why but my favorite Kanye song has always been Last Call...I doubt anyone feels the same :lol

Last Call is CERTAINLY one of my favorite Kanye tracks for sure. I used to listen to that track soooooooo much..

What do you think of this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkhCdu9AkgM

HiResDes

Kusagari said:

QFT.

I think effusive is the word I'd use

HiResDes

This is probably my new favorite verse:

“You’re my devil you’re my angel / you’re my heaven, you’re my hell / You’re my now, you’re my forever / You’re my freedom, you’re my jail / You’re my lies, you’re my truth / You’re my questions, you’re my proof / You’re my stress and you’re my masseuse.

Edit: Oh yeah and Last Call is one of my top five favorite tracks, or at least it used to be, this latest album has made things unclear.

Bowser

MMaRsu said:

Last Call is CERTAINLY one of my favorite Kanye tracks for sure. I used to listen to that track soooooooo much..

What do you think of this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddY1an4yhJQ

Dude, I've been listening to J. Cole since The Come Up and was GEEKED that he used the Last Call beat for Warm Up. One of my favorite beats ever.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
MMaRsu said:
I don't like the singing near the end. Additionally, this is going to sound especially weird considering I don't mind some long MBDTF tracks, but I always felt like it was a bit too long.

And Last Call is dope as fuck! Mayonnaise coloured Benz I push Miracle Whips! Fucking dope line, I would've signed Ye at that moment.

shadowcomplex said:
i would honestly rate this my favorite kanye album if it wasn't for two people.
This is hilarious cause I know exactly which 2 people your talking about :lol :lol :lol

MMaRsu

Bowser said:
Dude, I've been listening to J. Cole since The Come Up and was GEEKED that he used the Last Call beat for Warm Up. One of my favorite beats ever.

:)) good to hear man.. new mixtape on friday..18-19 tracks..damn sick.

I'm sure he wouldn't have looked like such an asshole had it been another dude. But it was this skinny lil cute white chick that looked all sad and everyone wanted to strangle him for doing that to poor Taylor.

Disclosure i don't hate Taylor Swift at all I just think that's how most people perceived it. I should have never judged him.

:bow, er, Toast

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dreams-Visions said:
Minaj and Rock?

you can always manually edit that song and fade it out before it gets to Rock. as for Minaj...sorry. :-(
Make that 3, actually.

Fergilicious, baby.

Just curious, tonight Kanye was referencing an interview with Matt Laurel, Today Show, on his twitter. But I can't find footage of this interview anywhere.

Anyone have a link?

Bowser

MMaRsu said:
:)) good to hear man.. new mixtape on friday..18-19 tracks..damn sick.

Yeah, I got on J. Cole early because a couple of my good friends from college (UNC) were from Fayetteville and one actually knows him, ha. They pushed J. Cole's stuff on me early back in 2008 during my junior year.

Reluctant-Hero said:
Just curious, tonight Kanye was referencing an interview with Matt Laurel, Today Show, on his twitter. But I can't find footage of this interview anywhere.

Anyone have a link?
Bush has been on tour talking about his new book. Bush has been saying that the "Bush hates black people" comments Kanye said, which were echoed by Jesse Jackson, and some CBC hurt him a lot and repeated those comments on the Today Show and on Oprah today. Complete with the Kanye video.

Bush being hurt may or may not be true. Personally, I would have been surprised if George Bush had ever heard of Kanye West before that day. But Jesse Jackson and that CBC rep's comments probably really did hurt. People try to be immune, but it's usually a front more than anything. I believe him, generally speaking.

DominoKid

RE: Monster drums

anybody else think the drums sound much tighter on the final version. so its not like kanye left this track alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom