• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West presents The Life of Pablo |OT| WE ON AN ULTRA LIGHT BEAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izuna

Banned
FUCK This album is growing on me FAST. Highlights is like turn up the volume!
EDIT: It's definitely a song that only works with headphones

I call dibs on the Dancehall guest vocals.

Someone with time should make the thread. I want to do lyrics and plug-in presets. Never want to rap again though.

Shameless final share for interest:

MY FIRST ATTEMPT AT ANYTHING MUSIC EVER IS HERE! BEFORE KANYE!

svAofzj.png

Listen On Soundcloud

Hip Hop

Second listen, still iffy.

Swizz was unnecessary on Famous. Hudson Mohawke should have kept Waves on his scrapheap. The bass on Freestyle 4 is mixed way too loud compared to the other tracks. Wolves verse is wack. 30 Hours is wasted after the first half.

I really don't know anymore if his decision to use Autotune in a wrong key is deliberately dada or just incompetence. So distracting on FSMH Pt. 1. Destroyed Blood On the Leaves, too.

People always say this whenever Swizz is on his shit lol, but I feel he brings that hypeness into a track every time. The song wouldn't have been the same without him for me, especially on the last beat.
Dude has that energy.

Drake and Future have been doing this shit for a while with the iTunes Store, now I know how single console owners feel haha

That's why I borrowed it off the internet. When it drops in the Google Play Store I'll cop fo sho.

Really liking what I've heard thus far, Kanye def bringing some bars and the production is on point. Metro was on tracks 2 & 3 and they felt at the onset like Future joints. I wish Kanye would accept that he is just a rapper and that that is ok. He makes amazing music. It's ok to branch out and I cheer and hope the best for you my brother, but sometimes you just gotta...

ToKv5cR.gif

Everybody here I'm the ghetto Oprah, you know what dat mean? You get a fur, you get a fur, you get a jet, you get a jet, big booty bitch for you wurrr

0CvtRRf.gif

Makai

Come on, Kanye :,(

This dumbass renamed "Ultra Light Beam" to "Ultralight Beam." Now it's about aluminum instead of godrays.

Catvoca

Banned
Alright my thoughts on each track after several listens. Overall really feeling the album, it's probably above College Dropout, Graduation and Yeezus for me.

Great:
Ultralight Beam - Best song on the album. Genuinely moving, and i'm not even religious. Chance's verse is the best on the album. This track is perfection, it makes me wish the whole album sounded like this.
Feedback - That beat is insane, one of his best verses on the album. "Hands up we just doing what the cops thought us" is a dope line.
Real Friends - I love this beat, it sounds so much better then the Soundcloud version. I like that we get some of the more vulnerable Kanye, and just generally like the atmosphere of this track.
Famous - This would be even better without the Taylor line and Swizz dumb lines on the outro. As it stands it's still great.
No More Parties in L.A - I love Kendrick, and the beat is fiery, but Kanye steals this track with some insane bars.
FML - I agree with a lot of the comments here, The Weeknd killed it. I like Kanye's vocals and the beat as it goes along, it's rad. The outro's fine.

Good:
Fade - This beat deserves more then the vocals it gets, the beat is insane but I don't really like any of the vocals outside of "I feel it fade".
30 Hours - The freestyle outro is terrible and drags down an otherwise great track.
Wolves - Ye's verse is pretty bad, but I still love the dark atmosphere here.
Waves - Just a fun song really, it goes into FML pretty well. Thank you Chance.
Father Stretch My Hands Pt.1 - I really like the beat and hook here, Kanye's verse is garbage but it doesn't bother me too much, his flow is still nice.
Low Lights - I like this spoken word portion with a pretty nice beat coming in behind it.

OK:
Facts - The beat is better, but it doesn't make up for Kanye's garbage bars. I still enjoy it well enough.
Pt.2 - I just don't really like the main beat here or most of the beat switches. It starts fine but then gets worse, before the outro which is pretty good.
Highlights - Another beat which deserves better. One of the verses that really bothers me on the album, that Ray J line is terrible. The "Bad Bitch up at equinox" part doesn't do anything for me. The songs fine, I won't skip it, but it could definitely be better.

Bad:
Freestyle 4 - The only track I really don't like. The beat is fine, but everything else is lame.

Okay, first response. Everything said with the caveat that it's a first listen.

Lyrically, maybe his weakest album. 30 Hours is the only one that stood out to me in that regard.

It's chaotic and all over the place and lacking focus in a way that MBDTF and Yeezus did; there's so many sounds on the early songs... it feels like Kanye was putting this together on the fly. In terms of an album, I don't think it works. There's very little cohesion.

But most of its individual songs are really good.

Famous is a classic.
30 Hours is real funky.
Waves is chill as fuck.
Freestyle 4 and Feedback evoke the spirit of Yeezus
I love Kanye is fucking jokes

Wolves, NMPILA, Fade... all real fucking tunes.

Low Light is the only lowlight (heh) really; there's a fair few real good tunes on there. I haven't been immediately hit like MBDTF or Yeezus did, where the greatness was so explicit and so singular in its vision... But it's Kanye. And no one does Kanye like Kanye. Even Kanye doesn't do Kanye. He does something new. That's Kanye.

And that's what I love about Kanye.

Ye need new ghost writers and less yes men. How ya'll let his dude rap about bleached assholes on that fire production?
damn.png

Pt 2 probably had my favorite lines but about the 30 second mark he went off beat

PR3qrlE.gif

Then it switched to some track that could be any random local Atlanta rapper from the last year out of no where. Then it switched again...wtf?

Famous was good but I can't fuck with Swizz on any level. Bars or adlibs. FOH.

Highlights ehhhhh.

Fade was fire.

Rest of the album was coo.

Would rank it last among Ye albums worth mentioning.
Yeezus
never happened.

Raw64life

["30 Hours" (featuring André 3000)]

::first 2 minutes fire::

Kanye: "3 stacks can you help me out"

::ready to hear Andre 3000 kill a verse::

::3 minutes of Kanye rambling and mumbling::

::song ends::

: |

Kraftwerk

Also. Not sure why some are so surprised at lines like bleached asshole..not defending it but.. Have you not heard some of his past verses?

Yall need to go and eat a damn croissant.

Catvoca

Banned
Also. Not sure why some are so surprised at lines like bleached asshole..not defending it but.. Have you not heard some of his past verses?

I don't think anyone's surprised, they just still think it's garbage. It's disappointing that the same person that's insane on NMPILA can spit such shit on other tracks.

This album is so fucking good.

Love the whole Escobar/Picasso theme of the album.

9.5/10 overall.

I'm on my third listen, please let the album grow on you! Don't let your expectations get in the way.

Listened to it a few more times and I'm not really feeling it that much. Lyrics let this project down a lot. Some of these beats are clear home runs and Ye just doesn't seem to do anything with them. 30 Hours is a body bag and all he had to do was zip it up. Even threw a garbage outro on it.

Reminds me of Compton in that the first time I listened to it I was like,"that was kinda funky. I need to play it again and pay more attention." and it was worse the second time because the bars were fucking wack.

Kanye is the King Mez of his own album.

Kyzer

Banned
Listened to it a few more times and I'm not really feeling it that much. Lyrics let this project down a lot. Some of these beats are clear home runs and Ye just doesn't seem to do anything with them. 30 Hours is a body bag and all he had to do was zip it up. Even threw a garbage outro on it.

Reminds me of Compton in that the first time I listened to it I was like,"that was kinda funky. I need to play it again and pay more attention." and it was worse the second time because the bars were fucking wack.

Kanye is the King Mez of his own album.

So same as Yeezus except the beats are good this time instead of just "pushing the boundaries" (ie bad)

I love kanye and can't wait to listen thoroughly but I do feel like Jay and Ye have both started entering that Eminem phase where they're older and focused on family and a million other ventures and their bars are just very...uninspired. Kanye has a special spot in my heart tho

sdornan

["30 Hours" (featuring André 3000)]

::first 2 minutes fire::

Kanye: "3 stacks can you help me out"

::ready to hear Andre 3000 kill a verse::

::3 minutes of Kanye rambling and mumbling::

::song ends::

: |
Yeah, pretty much. Sounds crazy saying it, but the version of the song without Andre was better.

Kusagari

The more I listen, the less I like it. The lyrics are Ye's worst and unlike Yeezus where the shitty lyrics kind of fit the theme of the album, here they don't even feel cohesive at all. Sonically, it's also all over the place and feels like Ye just throwing shit at the wall.

And then most of the good songs are just too short. Waves, Facts, Famous, Fade, Feedback and even FML could have all been improved by being longer. They all feel like they end just as you're really getting into them.

Track building and Kid Cudi comes on with his first listenable piece of music since December 3rd. I'm vibin bruh.

Now if I fuck this model
And she just bleached her asshole
And I get bleach on my T-shirt
I'mma feel like an asshole

e25edbf0fddc_medium.gif

Demoskinos

Man fuck Tidal. If I can't buy it off Amazon then I'm not giving Kanye my money. And thing is this is like the one Album this year I would actually pay for rather than just stream.

Man, I think it's just Father pt1/2 fucking with me, there's two million different songs in there and it doesn't work for me at all. Good thing Famous is right after.

Not getting what this album's about yet though; MBDTF had a thorough line running through it. I'm not sure where Ye's headgame is lol

Mannnn this album's getting me thinking

So same as Yeezus except the beats are good this time instead of just "pushing the boundaries" (ie bad)

I love kanye and can't wait to listen thoroughly but I do feel like Jay and Ye have both started entering that Eminem phase where they're older and focused on family and a million other ventures and their bars are just very...uninspired. Kanye has a special spot in my heart tho

The beats are preference. Some of the stuff here is kind of wild cacophony to me. I'm one of those people who hates All of the Lights.

With Jay and Ye they're in such unique positions in the game it could and should lend itself to a unique perspective in their music. It doesn't really translate which is a shame.

Kyzer

Banned
Well. This is gonna be a perfect litmus test for tidal. If kanye can't move units on a service nobody uses, no one will

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom