• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West presents The Life of Pablo |OT| WE ON AN ULTRA LIGHT BEAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matush

Yeah we're all just pretentious assholes pretending to like this.

Nothing is more pretentious than claiming to not be pretentious.
Where did I say that everyone who likes those albums is pretentious? People have different taste in music, or just "get" new Kanye. I don't, period. There is nothing wrong with liking them.

Holy shit, album is wack as hell. I loved Kanye during his first years, CD and LR are in my eyes his best work. Too bad his recent outputs (Yeezus and TLOP) are bad (for me) and basically serve to one thing, to masturbate his ego... I guess "I don't get them" / I'm not pretentious enough to like it.

I feel like as his songs become more ego filled , he also starts releasing more personal sad stuff, ya just gotta look a little more . Like two roads being split into two different directions.

f0rk

Do I have to sign up for tidal to buy the album download? The website says go to kanyewest.com but that just has the Yasiin Bey message

Catvoca

Banned
Btw, I can't believe Kanye changed the album art to be even worse. The dumb album art that became a meme was growing on me, that had the potential to become iconic. Now we're left with this garbage.

Jay-Hova

Banned
Sure and I think rating Graduation and College dropout as his worst two albums is quite insane
College Dropout is my least favorite, LR is my favorite, and this new album is creeping up on it.
This album has some awesome ideas but I think it will turn out to be my least favorite to listen to, kinda like MBDTF in that way

If he has a consensus worst album it's probably Graduation. Though I disagree that its his worst.
The consensus worst is clearly Yeezus, I know that when I went around reading old Kanye threads on this site and IGN there was an anti-grad sentiment, as well as in other places, but for most people it's incredibly loved while Yeezus is reviled (I have it tied with Yeezus off of the stength of cant tell me nothing, good life, stronger, and flashing lights alone)

Isn't Late Reg the whole 'cinematic narrative' record? Like he worked with a cinema producer to make the whole thing a cohesive narrative?

It's the one I've listened to least, for the record. Just repeating what a die-hard friend of mine said. And when I did listen to LR it sounded v. cohesive.
Kanye wanted to makea cinematic rap album yes, but that really doesn't make it "cohesive" as a project when a similar excuse could be used for this, and I don't even see what's not "cohesive" about this project or why it even matters.
Holy shit, album is wack as hell. I loved Kanye during his first years, CD and LR are in my eyes his best work. Too bad his recent outputs (Yeezus and TLOP) are bad (for me) and basically serve to one thing, to masturbate his ego... I guess "I don't get them" / I'm not pretentious enough to like it.
"I miss the old Kanye"
And I don't see how you can argue that this is any more "masturbatory" or whatever problems you have with it than MBDTF, that just seems like nostalgia bias.

Yado

Felt like a mediocre experience with no high highs. I've pretty much liked every Kanye album immediately or at least found a few songs that really stood out to me. This album...meh

Felt like a mediocre experience with no high highs. I've pretty much liked every Kanye album immediately or at least found a few songs that really stood out to me. This album...meh

Can say that music made for the radio connects with us immediately. When there's a depth of emotion and feeling, maybe it will take a couple times.

This is getting better every listen.

Izuna

Banned
Jerry+Listening+to+Music.gif

Feedback tho

SomTervo

Kanye wanted to makea cinematic rap album yes, but that really doesn't make it "cohesive" as a project when a similar excuse could be used for this, and I don't even see what's not "cohesive" about this project or why it even matters.

From my perspective, LR was very cohesive. But subjectivity, yadda.

I'm on your side though - Pab seems very cohesive indeed.

Catvoca

Banned
What's the deal with this releasing elsewhere? No fucking chance I'm signing up for Tidal just for this. Sorry Ye. Artistic freedom and all that bullshit you spout. Don't silence my voice! (But you can only hear it on Tidal!). If I'm buying the eventual vinyl release, no jumping through hoops right now.

I think it's coming out on other services next week, right?

Izuna

Banned
I think it's coming out on other services next week, right?

I'm imagine Kanye is the most possible artist to keep his music exclusive for like a month.

EDIT: Okay, so went through the album. Fade was the second song I liked. That's 2/Album -- Yeezus was like 4. I'll let this album grow on me just because of all the damn hype, but when a Biebs album connects with me faster than a Kanye album, I question the world.

Catvoca

Banned
I'm imagine Kanye is the most possible artist to keep his music exclusive for like a month.

Fucking Spotify tweeting it'll be on their service "soon" three days ago lol

Anyone read The Guardian's review yet?
http://www.theguardian.com/music/20...hy-his-immodesty-rubs-people-up-the-wrong-way
I agree with its main points.

Yeah, they definitely make some good points. Ultimately I just like the songs way more then the reviewer though, like he said he wasn't into FML or Ultra Light Beams that much, like what?

Servbot24

Banned
I can see this being the next Yeezus where people are puzzled at first but it goes on to be well-loved

That said I'm waiting for a fan-consensus tracklist update, cuz this clearly isn't optimal

Izuna

Banned
Fucking Spotify tweeting it'll be on their service "soon" three days ago lol

It's like the opposite of Rhianna's album. That was available everywhere and no one was looking at it.

If I see adverts in the tube for this album saying "exclusive for Tidal" I'll punch it, but I doubt that'll happen. He's going to be very late with traditional advertising.

EDIT: Okay for real I need an extended mix of Feedback. Like, add Kendrick or Nas on the track, make it at least 5 mins. I can't listen to this 2:35 track only one.

213372bu

Banned
I'm not sure which site it was here that was posted here, the shopify one or the tidal one, but someone called me just now saying my account was compromised.

Just a heads up.

EDIT: And I'm pretty sure the go(something) . tidal.com was legit, but I'm just saying it as the only 2 options.

MercuryLS

Banned
Kanye, I hate you sometimes. I just downloaded do this for $20 and put it in google drive and Dropbox because I hate using iTunes to get this on my phone. Will wait for God knows how long for this to actually hit Spotify.

Why you do this to me ;_;

graduation's his worst. and CD has kind of aged poorly outside of a few (really strong) tracks and the old kanye who was a lot more politically conscious and likable.

the kanye west in yeezus/life of pablo is a waaay better artist and more creative but he's also an annoying human being too and he's less concerned with rapping as well (which is fine by me, as long as he makes good songs)

I wonder, Homecoming, Big Brother are more creatively rich than anything he poured on Yeezus or TLoP.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Kanye, I hate you sometimes. I just downloaded do this for $20 and put it in google drive and Dropbox because I hate using iTunes to get this on my phone. Will wait for God knows how long for this to actually hit Spotify.

Why you do this to me ;_;

Man i would actually pay for the album even though i payed for it already if I could get a digital download. Def jam doesn't seem to care about honoring preorders in a timely fashion.

I don't even have that option. Most of y'all are too busy eating to care.

213372bu

Banned
NVM on the fraud shit, the auto-message wasn't accurate, just talked to someone.

Tidal actually charged my account multiple times for that "$20 album" site OR Tidal tried charging my $20 multiple times for the free trial.

Either way I got multiple $20 charges coming in from Tidal.

smh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom