• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West presents The Life of Pablo |OT| WE ON AN ULTRA LIGHT BEAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squalor

Yooooo, the codes haven't been sent out and the album is still streaming only?

MT gonna be pissed lol
Tidal has a week-long exclusivity deal for the streaming, doesn't it?
Want to listen to the whole album but can't make it past Father Stretch My Hands, my phone keeps playing it on repeat for some reason
You should ameliorate that as soon as possible because you're missing out on how amazing "FML," "Wolves," and "Fade" are.

CoolOff

Fade is the hottest beat I've heard since Power

Fu
ck
ing
he
ll

You played Fade before you played Famous?

jbhmmm.png

BearPawB

Banned
I think my highlights are:

Feedback
Highlights (heh)
I love kanye
Real friends
No more parties
Famous

I really like he album. Feels very heartfelt

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Tidal has a week-long exclusivity deal for the streaming, doesn't it?

You should ameliorate that as soon as possible because you're missing out on how amazing "FML," "Wolves," and "Fade" are.
I'm fine and understanding about the streaming exclusivity. Where is the copy of the album I already paid for though? Def jam is ignoring all tweets about it.

Catvoca

Banned
I am not religious at all but I still find Ultralight Beam powerful as hell. I felt the same way about How Much a Dollar Cost and Sing About Me(I'm Dying of Thirst) from Kendrick.

Squalor

I am not religious at all but I still find Ultralight Beam powerful as hell. I felt the same way about How Much a Dollar Cost and Sing About Me(I'm Dying of Thirst) from Kendrick.
It's a great opener.
Someone better find that kid before she gets brainwashed into committing mass homicide. As long as we're throwing out irrelevant statements for the hell of it.

Anyways don't mean to make a thing of it, I just find it really arrogant to go around pitying people for their beliefs.
Yes, the arrogance is in that and not with the people who try to dictate politics and the lives and decisions of other adults and who pity people for not being believers because they'll "go to hell."

Servbot24

Banned
Is the something I agreed with responsible for countless atrocities and unending bigotry?

Highly unlikely.

But to answer your question, yes, I would still say she was being indoctrinated.

Someone better find that kid before she gets brainwashed into committing mass homicide. As long as we're throwing out irrelevant statements for the hell of it.

Anyways don't mean to make a thing of it, I just find it really arrogant to go around pitying people for their beliefs.

Foshy

ranking for now after doing nothing else but listening to the album since release

GOD TIER

Ultralight Beam: tied with No Church in The Wild and On Sight for best album opener. loooove it. classic.
Father Stretch My Hands Pt. 2: FUCKING FIRE. literally goosebumps on the first verse. would be elevated beyond god status with the real future on here
FML: <33333 wow just wow
Wolves: simply beautiful track. i know some people think he fucked it up but the final version fits better into the album imo. feels more personal. though the version with sia and vic is better as a single and it would be cool if he released that on soundcloud too.

AMAZING

30 Hours: amazing, including the rambling. except for the "blowjob is better than no job" line which reminds me of unfunny facebook posts. why
Freestyle 4: incredibly good holy shit. i liked him singing the "i need you right now" on the premiere part better than fake future, would be god tier if he left it like it was.
No More Parties In LA: kanye x kendrick is the GOAT collab
Real Friends: really great and fits so well between fml and wolves, great passage overall
Low Lights: leads into highlights perfectly
Father Stretch My Hands Pt. 1: I actually really really like the delivery of the bleached asshole line
Famous: bom bom bom bom dilla bom bom this is too catchy
I Love Kanye: lmao

GOOD

Feedback: didn't feel it at the premiere but it grew on me a lot.
Highlights: starts off god tier but falls apart starting with the ray j part unfortunately. still good but could've been so much more man
Fade: i was so weirded out by the house beat at first but it works. nice closer, feels like a credit roll.

MEH

Facts (Charlie Heat Version): i don't dislike the track as a funny spoof on jumpman but it shouldn't have been on the album imo
Waves: wish it stayed off tbh. it's not aggressively bad but still worst song on the album and don't feel like it fits into it at all. don't know how to explain but it doesn't have that kanye touch? sounds so generic. and i really don't like chris brown. chance you fucked up

all in all the album feels like the most personal he's ever made in a way. the lyrics aren't the best for sure. but it feels somewhere between being uplifting and sometimes depressing. all i know is i'm inspired as fuck after hearing it.

I listened to the whole thing and to be honest I'm really disappointed with this album. I can't really say I like anything other than No more parties in LA and pt.2.

Lucid07

Wish Kanye had a longer part in Fade, his flow is great.

I also think that he'll release Wolves with Sia and Vic, plus All day the different version in the next Friday or so. He said last Friday, back to GOOD Friday.

Servbot24

Banned
Lol at this being Ye's MGSV. Pretty true. So much greatness that is brought down due to a couple big flaws. Still fantastic on the whole though.

Squalor

AMAZING

Freestyle 4: incredibly good holy shit. i liked him singing the "i need you right now" on the premiere part better than fake future, would be god tier if he left it like it was.
I think you're the first person I've seen have that opinion.

I'm not saying the song is bad, but it just doesn't feel amazing to me.

FaintDeftone

Wow Mike Dean is kind of a douche...

Anyway, this album has already surpassed Yeezus for me, which I was never a huge fan of but still liked it. I do agree that the album feels incoherent and seems like a mixtape more than an actual album but I love pretty much every song here. I'm a fan.

Foshy

I think you're the first person I've seen have that opinion.

I'm not saying the song is bad, but it just doesn't feel amazing to me.

might have something to do with its placement in the album too. it's such a hard tone shift coming straight off highlights. everything suddenly gets so dark, the kick coming in, the siren it's crazy atmospheric. and after this shock he comes back with i love kanye.

i realize it's not for everyone but it definitely works for me.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
I can't even pick a favorite song on this album. There isn't no "hit" or whatever to call it. If u was forced to pick t probably would be 30 hours. At least that kind of sounds like his older stuff. And I wish Andre 3K had a big part in the song.

Kaizer

Banned
Woke up for my 4th listen of the album, I still love it y'all. Waves is soooo good. I've already listened to Fade like 30 times & Freestyle 4 has really grown on me.

FML is probably the best song on the album, The Weeknd gives a stellar performance.

AJLma

Ah okay, so no one has been able to download the album.

I will continue to hold out until I can get my uncompressed, full, digital release of the album.

Catvoca

Banned
I feel like FML needs another verse. He just gets going on the second verse when the drums kick in and then it switches to the weird outro. Give me another verse, another Weeknd hook and then go to the outro. It'd be way better I think

Cohesion is sort-of overrated. I can kind of see where people are coming from but sometimes I like it when albums go different places from song to song. Just look at Stankonia or Mellon Collie & The Infinite Sadness. They have variety coming out the ass and no one can say that they are bad albums.

Reminds me of this Fraiser clip.

I don't think variation in sound is a lack of cohesion though; MBDTF, The Suburbs and In Rainbows are my favourite Ye/AF/Radiohead albums because they are so varied as well as being great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom