• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West presents The Life of Pablo |OT| WE ON AN ULTRA LIGHT BEAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Everytime i click on life of pablo on tidal it just comes up with ( no connection ). Fuck sake all i want is to buy your album kanye and you wont even give me the fucking chance

KingKong

Who would you say is a better living artist? At least in music

and people have been calling themselves the GOATs since....ever. Lil Wayne did 3 times on average every song

Servbot24

Banned
You know I wouldn't mind some of the bad lines so much if he didn't repeat them as if they were some profound thing bearing repeating. Like we really need 3 repeats to ruminate upon "I know there's corny bitches you wish you could unfollow".. on the finale of the album too.

Eos

You know I wouldn't mind some of the bad lines so much if he didn't repeat them as if they were some profound thing bearing repeating. Like we really need 3 repeats to ruminate upon "I know there's corny bitches you wish you could unfollow".. on the finale of the album too.

The whole verse killed Wolves
The original haunting, gloomy vibe was amazing

FZZ

Banned
Still no email huh? :/

thanks for being here for me through all the insanity
god bless

Bless you too fam

rejoice.png

Phyranion

Wow, this was a bad album. I mean, even Yeezus had a couple good tracks. Life of Pablo has nothing. There's nothing here I ever want to listen to again.

Holy shit I wish I could be as happy as most of you. Just had my first listen and I am not feeling it at all. But I was already afraid of that after someone here told me after the Tidal event that there was very little actual rapping. And that was when it was still 10 tracks.

I will give it a lot more listens of course but right now....

- Waaaaaay too little rapping on this album. Real Friends, NMPILA, 30 hours and FML had actual rapping. Sadly only one verse on FML iirc.

- overkill of autotune, good lord. That's what I really don't like here. MBDTF had a perfect balance between autotune and non autotune. I was already getting quite sick and tired of autotune and I wasn't really expecting so much of that here. A damn shame.

-Lyrically absolutely not the old Kanye. Sure as hell not the MBDTF Kanye. Some said it here already last week but there are some really shitty lines by him on this album.

It might change but usually one listen is enough for me, but I am afraid this is just not my kind of album with the exception of the tracks that have actual rapping and little to no autotune. I feel that if he had toned down with the autotune, those musically dope tracks would have been so much better.

Ashhong

Wow, this was a bad album. I mean, even Yeezus had a couple good tracks. Life of Pablo has nothing. There's nothing here I ever want to listen to again.

Lol..

Holy shit I wish I could be as happy as most of you. Just had my first listen and I am not feeling it at all. But I was already afraid of that after someone here told me after the Tidal event that there was very little actual rapping. And that was when it was still 10 tracks.

I will give it a lot more listens of course but right now....

- Waaaaaay too little rapping on this album. Real Friends, NMPILA, 30 hours and FML had actual rapping. Sadly only one verse on FML iirc.

- overkill of autotune, good lord. That's what I really don't like here. MBDTF had a perfect balance between autotune and non autotune. I was already getting quite sick and tired of autotune and I wasn't really expecting so much of that here. A damn shame.

-Lyrically absolutely not the old Kanye. Sure as hell not the MBDTF Kanye. Some said it here already last week but there are some really shitty lines by him on this album.

It might change but usually one listen is enough for me, but I am afraid this is just not my kind of album with the exception of the tracks that have actual rapping and little to no autotune. I feel that if he had toned down with the autotune, those musically dope tracks would have been so much better.

Highlights has plenty of rapping. You just need to listen past the first minute

KingKong

I really cant think of another artist that has a discography like Kanye, thats 7 straight great albums and no bad or even mediocre ones.

People were talking about how amazing Public Enemy was for Nation of Millions to Fear of a Black Planet to Apocalypse 91 but this is on another level

Catvoca

Banned
Feedback is Freestyle 4, and Freestyle 4 is Feedback? I assumed it was a mistake last night but it's still that so

Nah, it's correct. Pre-release we thought they were switched, but I'm pretty sure Feedback is meant to be the one with the funky beat and Ye rapping "Yall sleepin on me, had a good snooze?" The beat literally sounds like feedback for a mic.

KingKong

Kanye reminds me of what Ebert said about Herzog

American film critic Roger Ebert said that Herzog "has never created a single film that is compromised, shameful, made for pragmatic reasons or uninteresting. Even his failures are spectacular."

I knew Wolves would be my favorite. Best song on the album. I didn't like Feedback when I heard it during Yeezy Season 3 but it's definitely grown on me. The only song I don't like is Facts. I'd rank this either 2 or 3 for Kanye, Behind MBDTF and tied with Graduation.

This album for me is one of his best(too early to say where it will end up for sure). His other albums had a bit more cohesion and a more easy to point to theme. However, the diversity and overall quality of every track is amazing. I'll post my rankings later in this thread. TLoP easily has the most emotional range out of any of his albums.

Also don't get how people can praise MBDTF as his best while calling this his worst or trash.

reKon

Banned
If you go out on the street and ask random people, you will be dead long before you find anyone who agrees with you.

" a dick though so that doesn't matter"

"He's a no talent piece of shit because rap music is crap music"

"The old Kanye albums were better, but the new ones are shit with all the autotune"

nib95

Banned
Anyone else feel like there's a lack of Ye on this album? Outside of tracks like 30 Hours, Real Friends, Facts and NMPILA (all previously released), he doesn't actually drop a whole lot of verses throughout. Not to the same degree as older albums anyway. And a lot of what he does is often elongated with singing, format or repetition, and not particularly heavy in lyrical content.

It's weird because I rewatched his two SNL performances (Wolves and ULB) and realised he basically doesn't do anything in either besides hum and mumble. In the final album version of Wolves, even though he takes up a lot more time in the track, he doesn't actually say a whole lot even then.

In that sense this album almost seems like it's less about Kanye's specific bars and smart lyrics, and more about the general music itself, in terms of production, good vibes, diverse beats and easy listening. I almost feel like the 'rap' part of it takes a bit of a back seat.

Ashhong

Anyone else feel like there's a lack of Ye on this album? Outside of tracks like 30 Hours, Real Friends, Facts and NMPILA (all previously released), he doesn't actually drop a whole lot of verses throughout. Not to the same degree as older albums anyway. And a lot of what he does is often elongated with singing, format or repetition, and not particularly heavy in lyrical content.

It's weird because I rewatched his two SNL performances (Wolves and ULB) and realised he basically doesn't do anything in either besides hum and mumble. In the final album version of Wolves, even though he takes up a lot more time in the track, he doesn't actually say a whole lot even then.

In that sense this album almost seems like it's less about Kanye's specific bars and smart lyrics, and more about the general music itself, in terms of production, good vibes, diverse beats and easy listening. I almost feel like the 'rap' part of it takes a bit of a back seat.

He definitely takes a step back here. the album is more a collaborative effort than ever.

Nope, He produced silver surfer interlude maybe another one?

The fuck did he do on that? It was just a phone call

injurai

Banned

Any other rapper would feel they need to be present as the rapper. Kanye knows how to be a part of the craft and the music. Not just picking out other peoples beats and laying verses on them, then selling it as one's own. Kanye is fully integrated into the process from top to bottom. Nobody's verse is without Kanye's influence and design. You really can't separate from any part of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom