• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West presents The Life of Pablo |OT| WE ON AN ULTRA LIGHT BEAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mik317

its weird to see so many people let down by the lyrics. I never expected much out of Kanye in that field outside of funny/dumb quotables....which I think this has in spades.

also anyone who thinks ULB is bad needs to meet me somewhere...I get it not being your favorite (especially in a world where Fade exists) but bad? naw son naw....we fightin

Bronx-Man

Banned
Finished my second listen, slightly deeper thoughts:

A lot of the songs are fantastic, but 1 or 2 minutes too short for me.
On the other side, NMPILA drags on for way too long.
The only song on here that I would say doesn't fit at all is Freestyle 4, feels like something that belonged on Yeezus.
I would've moved Fade somewhere to the middle and end the album with 30 Hours (I'd still keep Facts & NMPILA as bonus tracks).

But yeah, I can say with certainty that this is my absolute favorite Ye album. It's his White Album.

Kaizer

Banned
WHEN KID CUDI STARTS HIS "HMMM HMMM HMMMMMMMMMMM" ON WAVES:

FArO2Qe.gif

Squalor

Bread

Banned
the album is a mess, it's not cohesive and it seems like a ton of snippets copy and pasted together.

but i like it nonetheless.

Skatterd

After several listens this is where I think the songs rank for me.

FML
Fade
Ultralight Beam
Real Friends
Feedback
No More Parties in LA
Waves
30 Hours
Wolves
Pt. 2
Famous
I Love Kanye
Freestyle 4
Father Stretch My Hands Pt. 1
Low Lights/ Highlights
Facts

Album isn't cohesive and is a bit of a mess but it kinda seems to represent the state of his mind right now.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This is so weird.

This version has Sia right after Ye instead of after Vic in the one I linked, but also has Ye's verse. Also she is MUCH clearer than the one in my link.

I want one where it's Ye Intro -> Sia (clear, no clapping) -> Vic -> Frank

EDIT: seems like KTT dudes are still working on it, good shit

EDIT: Sia sandwiched between the two Vic verses would be great too, I'm used to that

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
This is so weird.

This version has Sia right after Ye instead of after Vic in the one I linked, but also has Ye's verse. Also she is MUCH clearer than the one in my link.

I want one where it's Ye Intro -> Sia (clear, no clapping) -> Vic -> Frank

EDIT: seems like KTT dudes are still working on it, good shit

Yea.. Keep an eye out over there. That's what I'm doing.

krazen

Yoooo im kinda feeling this new FACTS...

It's the beat. The first one was pretty boring...this one is much more turnt up trap. it's something that could have been on Cruel Summer.

Honestly the original was one of the worst Kanye singles ive heard, and I am a fan of all his phases. So it's nice they went and scrapped all that music.

megalowho

I really dig how minimalist the drums are and how pronounced the bass is on most tracks. Seeing comments out there that the album is unfocused and not cohesive but there's quite a bit of sonic cohesion going on in the production. The short lengths of the tracks also helps tie all the fleeting musical ideas together with propulsive pacing. 30 Hours outro runs a bit long but most everything else is nice and tight.

As far as rapping there's some quality verses and guests on here for sure, particularly in the last third. Ye stays in his comfort zone and leans heavy on the 808 style autotune vocals but it works, this project isn't straight hip hop and doesn't need crazy bars on every track.

The more I listen the more I like it. Captures the theatrics of MBDTF, the darkness of 808's, the rawness of Yeezus and the flipped soul of College Dropout-era Kanye. Feels like a natural evolution for his sonic palette while still sounding fresh, very listenable album front to back.

Alright, I've listened to the album twice. Here are my groupings:

Ultralight Beam
Famous
Highlights
FML
Real Friends
Wolves
30 Hours
Fade

Meh
Feedback
Highlights
Waves
NMPILA
Low Lights
I Love Kanye

Nah
Father Stretch My Hands Pt. 1
Pt. 2
Freestyle 4
Silver Surfer Intermission
Facts

It's a really good album, but man there are some blatantly unfinished songs on it. However, whenever it's great, it's some of the best music Kanye has made, hands down.

Maximus.

I can't even pick a favorite song on this album. There isn't no "hit" or whatever to call it. If u was forced to pick t probably would be 30 hours. At least that kind of sounds like his older stuff. And I wish Andre 3K had a big part in the song.

Seems like all the features are essentially small in scope. Kid cudi was a minor chorus, The Weeknd just repeated the same stuff essentially, etc.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Finally get to listen to the final version above whispering volume now that people are awake.

'MEMBER IM COMING BACK
ILL BE TAKING ALL THE STACKSOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH

Untitled-5-1416889237.gif

I GOT BROADS IN ATLANTA

noquarter

Finally listened to this. I didn't want to listen to any rips and the Tidal stream was shit for me the other day so stopped it maybe half way through a song.

First impression of it is it is better than Yeezus. Will listen a few more times today and see what I think then, but right now think it is pretty good. Yeezus for me was a slow burn, had to listen to it a few times to really come around to it, so glad I like it more than that.

Courage

FSMH Pt. 2 does a good job signifying the album art. The dissonance between Kanye lamenting for his father and mother's death vs. the hard trap beat and braggadocios rapping by Desiigner. Fantastic track.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom