• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West presents The Life of Pablo |OT| WE ON AN ULTRA LIGHT BEAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izuna

Banned
Yea, but you mention a momentum problem when replying to that other post about beat changes. its just one skit, how does that cause a momentum problem? Especially in between feedback and highlight

Because when you remove Low lights and have Feedback play (preferably) after Highlights, it doesn't matter that Highlight takes time to build up. The album flows better. Low light stops the two songs from complementing each other imo

you listening on cassette? hit next!

I will, and happy to. I can still criticise.

hughesta

Banned
Because when you remove Low lights and have Feedback play (preferably) after Highlights, it doesn't matter that Highlight takes time to build up. The album flows better. Low light stops the two songs from complementing each other imo
Disagree tbh. Feedback remains at the same high level of intensity and depth the whole time, so ending that and using Low Lights into Highlights is a great way to settle things for a moment before building things back up, and then Freestyle 4 just blows the whole thing away. Just like I Love Kanye's purpose is to settle things down after Freestyle 4, Low Lights is there to settle things down after Feedback.

Mortemis

Banned
Alright guys, when looking at just the original 10 track list, if you wanted to add in waves where would you place it?

Put it after Fade so it can lead into FML or somewhere else?

Ashhong

I guess, it just didn't make sense as a reply to that guys post. He mentioned a beat change, and feedback doesn't even have one

Izuna

Banned
Interesting string of tweets from Gita Jackson, the videogame critic, about Kanye's misogyny and "white ppl hand wringing over sexism in hip hop" https://twitter.com/xoxogossipgita/status/698981295557382145

Is this about that Taylor Swift line?

He mentioned that his use of bitch isn't meant to be taken as sexist, and he got the line about making her famous from Taylor Swift herself.

I kinda agree a little that it's some way to slander Ye without any real effort. How do you think it looks to people that don't listen to his music? That's what they're going for.

ant1532

Banned

yeah i was just jokin

Izuna

Banned
Alright guys, when looking at just the original 10 track list, if you wanted to add in waves where would you place it?

Put it after Fade so it can lead into FML or somewhere else?

I'm trying to figure this out myself. I just listened to the album in it's normal order again to see what songs I don't want to never hear again, and Waves was the one.

But...

Fade into FML is great, I'd want to keep that.

If you figure out lemme know haha

(no parties in L.A. should have released as a single...)

Nah kanyes music is very misogynistic, the remarks he's made about his wife in the last couple years alone in music is enough evidence

Then you bring in his amber rose comments, Bill cosby and probably a bunch of other shit

Catvoca

Banned
Is this about that Taylor Swift line?

He mentioned that his use of bitch isn't meant to be taken as sexist, and he got the line about making her famous from Taylor Swift herself.

I kinda agree a little that it's some way to slander Ye without any real effort. How do you think it looks to people that don't listen to his music? That's what they're going for.

Should have mentioned to look at the replies and see all her tweets. She was more talking about white people focusing on hip-hop culture sexism more so then in other popular cultures. She was just using Ye as an example as there has been some talk recently about his lyrics being a bit misogynistic. (I should probably mention I'm white myself though).

Moonkid

That's literally what this album is about.
I feel like you can find elements of that in every Kanye album to be honest, if not outright sick at least the fame getting to the better of his judgement. He has always been seemingly self-aware of what attention does to him, but there comes a point when maybe he should take a step back and do something about it.

Aww poor Kanye so sad.

Dude should just quit. Album is garbage tier compared to his earlier albums. Even Yeezus is above thus garbage.

808s, Yeezus and Registration are his best albums. Dunno what you were expecting out of this album. Kanye was like a B rapper at best. Needed a lot of help lyrically as well. His most interesting music came from his collaborations and his production. And he has some good ones on this

Izuna

Banned
Should have mentioned to look at the replies and see all her tweets. She was more talking about white people focusing on hip-hop culture sexism more so then in other popular cultures. She was just using Ye as an example as there has been some talk recently about his lyrics being a bit misogynistic. (I should probably mention I'm white myself though).

I was about to reply to the post above you saying the same thing. I never read about how misogynistic country music is.

But then I realise that I wouldn't know. I don't follow entertainment news.

Izuna

Banned
He should have released Yemoji.

EDIT: Facts is like Way Too Cold. I like it a lot. I just never feel like listening to it in the album. The whole message is different haha.

Guess Who

Banned
tons of music is misogynistic as fuck. it's everywhere. we shouldn't give kanye a pass for it but we shouldn't act like it's just a hip hop problem.

FZZ

Banned
I really really really really really hope Ye just gets the help he needs

After all these twitter rants, what Rhymefest said, and everything about this release

I hope he just gets the actual help he needs. Dude has me fucking worried about his god damn mental health.

Jay-Hova

Banned
Since he wrote Jesus Walks which is imo still one of Kanyes best singles.

I agree with rhymefest. He said

"his thoughts and soul arent alright. My brother needs help in the form of therapy. Spiritually and mentally. He needs to step out of the spot lights and the yesmen and get better."

Comparing Kanyes attitude to that from 10 years ago, I totally agree.
Hes gotten sick from fame
Actually he wrote the first verse on Jesus Walks before it became a Kanye song, and the Kanye added the young and restless part but not the midwest part and then did the second verse.
Just had to correct that.

Squire

Banned

I saw her tweets earlier in the day as a friend was RTing them (which I followed, myself) and I was happy to see them. I've been having similiar thoughts myself the past few days.

It's a little too easy for white people with no investment or understanding of rap/hip-hop as a genre of music and a facet of culture to just jump on Twitter (or Facebook, or the news, or even the most casual conversation) and start going on and on (and vehemently so) about what an awful person Kanye is.

It's not that he doesn't say awful shit that's obviously awful (he does), but the extent to which it seems to dominate conversation around him and how that seems to be more because of the detractors rather than him i.e. the Cosby tweet was a single three sentence tweet - stupid to be sure, but I really didn't expect it to be s talking point for much more than a single evening, of that - while the album is a pretty solid collection of music that marks a phase in his career.

I don't think anyone is automatically a racist because they don't like Kanye, but I do think race is an element at play be it subconscious or otherwise and, as Gita more or less says herself, people should step back and check their biases. Like I had a very good friend, who's white (I'm black, I should say) reply to one of my hype tweets about TLOP last night and I was just kinda like "Yes, I know you don't like or listen to Kanye, never have, and never will. I got it." This guy is my dude for real, but yeah, I kinda had to tell him off a little bit.

I'm rambling I suppose, but again, Gita's really smart and respected and I'm happy she put those thoughts out there. I don't excuse the dumb stuff he does, I condemn it. But I also want the album. There's nuance to the situation that should be respected and for most white celebrities, it is.

sephi22

I think I get what getting lit means.
Freestyle 4 is so flames it has be yelling WOULDERRYBADYSTARTFUCKING THEYDONTWANTNOTHIN in public.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone making all these 'what about' arguments to paint Kanye's detractors as racist considered that none of the current artists they throw up as examples are even remotely close to being as popular or influential as him?

No shit people are talking about Kanye instead.

Squire

Banned
Has anyone making all these 'what about' arguments to paint Kanye's detractors as racist considered that none of the current artists they throw up as examples are even remotely close to being as popular or influential as him?

No shit people are talking about Kanye instead.

Who's doing what now?

sephi22

The Taylor bitch comment got me wondering does bitch carry the same weight in part or all of the black community? Because just like the n-word, it seems like its sometimes used as a term of endearment. Ivelisse (latina) and Sasha Banks (black) are two wrestlers who've both referred to themselves as the baddest bitch in the ring/building as an empowering phrase.

Kanye's critics are looking at this as a man insulting a woman using a gendered insult. Could it be that Ye's singing to primarily a black audience and he's using everyday slang instead of saying girl or woman. I'm sorry if my question seems ignorant. Just trying to learn.

Ashhong

The Taylor bitch comment got me wondering does bitch carry the same weight in part or all of the black community? Because just like the n-word, it seems like its sometimes used as a term of endearment. Ivelisse (latina) and Sasha Banks (black) are two wrestlers who've both referred to themselves as the baddest bitch in the ring/building as an empowering phrase.

Kanye's critics are looking at this as a man insulting a woman using a gendered insult. Could it be that Ye's singing to primarily a black audience and he's using everyday slang instead of saying girl or woman. I'm sorry if my question seems ignorant. Just trying to learn.

It's such a throwaway line that I feel like he's just using everyday slang. But I can't fault people for interpreting it as an insult either.

sephi22

It's such a throwaway line that I feel like he's just using everyday slang.
Yeah, that's what I think too. But it is acceptable only if it is everyday slang. Like if black women don't like black men using it, then we have a problem. But if its widely accepted in their community, sorry white people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom