• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West presents The Life of Pablo |OT| WE ON AN ULTRA LIGHT BEAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eos

jesus..album is straight up garbage tier bad rofl

better than cd and graduation
umad.png

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Yep. I definitely just don't understand Kanye anymore. The album sucks. But I clearly don't get it. I assume if anyone liked Yeezus they'd like this...or something.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
i'm skipping my morning classes tomorrow because listening to TLoP inspired me to stay up and start writing some rhymes. I'm fully planning to fall asleep to the album again tonight. I remember reading a story interviewing Terrace Martin that was really great and he commented about how he likes to live in an album. Integrate it into his life. Just have it playing throughout his day and become a part of him.

I'm just gonna find and quote it.

Interview here
(Talking about "To Pimp a Butterfly")

I think the album’s importance was apparent before we even knew what to do with the music. I don’t know another album that’s got that sort of reaction out of my generation. What about you?
It took me five years to fully grasp Makaveli [The Don Killuminati: The 7 Day Theory]. When I was in high school, I heard it the first day it came out, and then I didn’t hear it again until way after that. People think music goes through your ears, but really it hits your spirit first, then your ears. With music, I gotta live with it. I gotta throw it in the car, drive to it, talk over it, eat to it, just have it in the background, not even think about it. I have to really live with the music and the artist before I really grasp it. I’m going through that now with Black Messiah.

I'm trying to do something similar with TLoP. Me, my head phones, my life, and Ye.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Yep. I definitely just don't understand Kanye anymore. The album sucks. But I clearly don't get it. I assume if anyone liked Yeezus they'd like this...or something.
Seems like you're completely off the mark. Many people that don't like yeezus have liked this and vise versa. It's just about people's taste man.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

This doesn't really feel much like Yeezus to me, for the most part. Yeezus felt dark, dirty, hectic, and broken in the best ways.

this one feels disorganized but feels like it covers a much wider spectrum than Yeezus.

Boogie9IGN

Yeah I'm not getting the hate either. I must be on my 6th or 7th listen and with the exception of the spoken snippets (Silver Surfer, Low Lights), I'm loving everything. The two or three friends that have been able to hear it all love the album too.

And I hated Yeezus so there's that

Edit: I also loved Graduation but maybe that's cause the Glow in the Dark tour was the first concert I paid for and was able to attend after high school hahaha

Is it a coincidence most of the people who outright hate the album are Graduation and CD stans?
I wonder if they think Eminem still puts out hot shit and Lupe is just misunderstood.

Ashhong

I enjoyed Yeezus on first listen and thought it had some nice beats, but I'm not gonna lie, I feel like I force myself to love it as a Kanye Stan.

This album was a much much easier first listen

Is it a coincidence most of the people who outright hate the album are Graduation and CD stans?
I wonder if they think Eminem still puts out hot shit and Lupe is just misunderstood.

I don't know, I'm a CD Stan but still love almost all of his albums. There are people that just can't accept anything after that era though. I feel bad for them really.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Deleted that Silver Surfer garbage asap, no idea why he included it. At least Low Light and I Love Kanye are pleasant to listen to.

Floridian

You don't even know
I've been so far gone
I feel it
I've been so led on
I've been runnin' 'round
I feel it
I've been on my shit
Whole world on my dick
I feel it
I just need to know
I can feel it

tiYsaVo.gif

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
everytime I relisten to the album and think "I guess this song is just okay" theres some crazy ass beat change that completely flips my opinion.

Edit: Also the end of Freestyle 4 has SO MUCH wasted potential.

Izuna

Banned
everytime I relisten to the album and think "I guess this song is just okay" theres some crazy ass beat change that completely flips my opinion.

It's a momentum problem. You hear something that ends big, and you're given a skit to follow. A skit that is as long as the songs that sandwich it smh.

I guess I care too much about keeping things how the artist intends.

Even om CD I don't delete the skits. I really wonder if he'll change the order in the rerelease.

EDIT: Yeah CD is great what is up with this strange opinion.

gonna catch heat in this thread for this but i definitely think french montana should have had a spot on waves too. he's the first guy i can think of that puts that music out with max b in jail now and his lazy ass flow would have really worked on there. plus you have the potential for double "haaanh" ad libs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XLaEoF0udE

surprised harry fraud hasn't even come in contact with kanye yet.

Izuna

Banned
Hmm I'm bothered by Ye's [mentioned consequence] for getting divorced. He expresses his love for his kid(s) clearly, but not really for Kim. I guess he does that enough outside of this album, but I liked Bound 2 for that reason.

I love Waves but I'm not so sure about it's position on the track list. I have no idea where else to put it though.

Same.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Seems like you're completely off the mark. Many people that don't like yeezus have liked this and vise versa. It's just about people's taste man.
I probably am off the mark. I also don't get much about people's taste, which is fine. I pretty much just liked College Dropout and LR. A few tracks off of Graduation and a few more on MBDTF. The rest isn't a matter of "this sounds like shit" or "this is bad"...I literally am just lost and feel like the coherence completely eludes me.

After hearing Real Friends, I thought that this album would be a return to that form, but not really. It's more of the same that Kanye has become...which is fine. I just really feel like my ears say to me "why are you subjecting me to this shit."

Catvoca

Banned
Listening to Facts again this morning wondering how I liked it yesterday. His bars are so bad, and the beat just sounds like generic trap shit.

Waves really stood out to me on this listen though, really glad it made it on the album.

hughesta

Banned
I love Waves but I'm not so sure about it's position on the track list. I have no idea where else to put it though.
I think it works. The first bit of the album up through I Love Kanye seems to be about a good, faithful man brought down by the temptations of fame. Waves is almost like an event that causes said man to realize what he's been doing, and try to make amends, which is what brings us to the emotional low of FML. Almost as though Waves is about trying to deal with loss, which reconnects him with his spiritual side and awakens him to what a sinmer he's become.

Ashhong

It's a momentum problem. You hear something that ends big, and you're given a skit to follow. A skit that is as long as the songs that sandwich it smh.

I guess I care too much about keeping things how the artist intends.

Even om CD I don't delete the skits. I really wonder if he'll change the order in the rerelease.

EDIT: Yeah CD is great what is up with this strange opinion.

There's like 1 skit on this album...

Catvoca

Banned
Holy shit, I missed a twitter storm last night haha. I think it's really funny that he thinks about mothers and their children listening to an album with songs like Freestyle 4 on it, that have bars that are just like "what if we start fuckin'". Speaking of bars, I also think it's funny Kanye tweeted bars are worth more then money, when his album is severely lacking in good fucking bars.

Kanye should really lay down his twitter fingers if he knows what's good for him.

hughesta

Banned
I'm specifically referring to Low lights, which honestly, I can't think of what to even call it.

--
Low Lights is great. Perfectly placed after Feedback and before Highlights. At MSG he played a version of it that was about 40 seconds shorter, and I do wish he had gone with that version instead.

Ashhong

I'm specifically referring to Low lights, which honestly, I can't think of what to even call it.

--

Yea, but you mention a momentum problem when replying to that other post about beat changes. its just one skit, how does that cause a momentum problem? Especially in between feedback and highlight

MMaRsu

yeah rhymefest makes way better music

hahahaha no

Since he wrote Jesus Walks which is imo still one of Kanyes best singles.

I agree with rhymefest. He said

"his thoughts and soul arent alright. My brother needs help in the form of therapy. Spiritually and mentally. He needs to step out of the spot lights and the yesmen and get better."

Comparing Kanyes attitude to that from 10 years ago, I totally agree.
Hes gotten sick from fame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom