• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West presents The Life of Pablo |OT| WE ON AN ULTRA LIGHT BEAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

nib95

Banned
By "releasing" a half cooked album? By not releasing the album, ever? When people already bought it? When tidal is a complete joke and always has been?

He has literally made it impossible to support him unless you want to pay $9.99 a month for a dog shit service and people think he didn't bite at the fans. Smh.

I don't know if I'd call it half cooked tbh, especially compared to most popular Hip Hop albums out there. I'd agree it's not as coherent as some of his past albums, nor albums from talents such as Kendrick Lamar, but I also don't think it's supposed to be. Instead it's intended to be a medley of sounds and topics that are simply musically diverse and entertaining. I mean, the album art tells you everything you need to know.

Screen_Shot_2016-02-11_at_11.04.44_PM_sur3kn.jpg

Does this look like something that's supposed to be strictly composed or thematically ridged? Hell it has "WHICH / ONE" splattered all over it, which implies that even as far as Pablo figures go, he's implicating a concution of them. In my earlier review I called it a "celebration of collaborative efforts", and I stand by that.

Those expecting a whole album of old Kanye are bound to be severely disappointed, but when is a new Kanye album ever a total reflection of it's past? They are all pretty unique to each other, and TLOP is no different. I would say there are at least hints of old Kanye in certain tracks, such as Real Friends, NMPILA and 30 Hours, but naturally that will be meagre morsels to some, and not nearly enough. Whilst I too would have loved more Kanye in this album, e.g. more verses and bars, I still appreciate what we got instead.

Also, whilst I'm not ready to do a ranking of all his albums yet, I'm confident I already prefer TLOB to both Yeezus and 808s.

213372bu

Banned
Why do people keep saying this? He said it would "never never never" be released.

1. It's Kanye
2. There was a sub domain of Tidal exclusively dedicated to selling TLOP
3. It's going to be the biggest source of income he'll ever get from that album
4. It's Kanye

FZZ

Banned
By "releasing" a half cooked album? By not releasing the album, ever? When people already bought it? When tidal is a complete joke and always has been?

He has literally made it impossible to support him unless you want to pay $9.99 a month for a dog shit service and people think he didn't bite at the fans. Smh.

I agree on all accounts. Shit is indefensible. But idk maybe it's cause I'm a stan, I'm not as outraged and I already paid for the album as well.

Ashhong

Judging by his tweets today, it'll never come to iTunes or music.

Why do people keep saying this? He said it would "never never never" be released.

Because it's kanyes Twitter. Dude is wrong the majority of the time. He also announced that the album was complete and available on Saturday on tidal and his site. Yet it was only available to stream and nothing on his site.

DNAbro

Well finally listened to it. Congrats to Kanye for making an album that was even worse than Yeezus. A real accomplishment. Only one good song on the whole album.( No More Parties in L.A)

Owari

I don't know if I'd call it half cooked tbh, especially compared to most Hip Hop albums out there. I mean, it's not as coherent as some of his past albums, nor albums from talents such as Kendrick Lamar, but I also don't think it's supposed to be. Instead it's intended to be a medley of sounds and topics that are simply musically diverse and entertaining. I mean, the album art tells you everything you need to know.

Screen_Shot_2016-02-11_at_11.04.44_PM_sur3kn.jpg

Does this look like something that's supposed to be strictly composed or thematically ridged? Hell it has "WHICH / ONE" splattered all over it, which implies that even as far as Pablo figures go, he's implicating a concution of them. In my earlier review I called it a "celebration of collaborative efforts", and I stand by that.

Those expecting a whole album of old Kanye are bound to be severely disappointed, but when is a new Kanye album ever a total reflection of it's past? They are all pretty unique to each other, and TLOP is no different. I would say there are at least hints of old Kanye in certain tracks, such as Real Friends, NMPILA and 30 Hours, but naturally that will be meagre morsels to some, and not nearly enough. Whilst I too would have loved more Kanye in this album, e.g. more verses and bars, I still appreciate what we got instead.

Whilst I'm not ready to to a ranking of his albums yet, I'm confident I already prefer it to both Yeezus and 808s.
I never cared about a thematically composed album. I'd like an album with complete songs. FSMH ends abruptly. Needs another verse. Waves needs another Ye verse. Freestyle 4 needs another verse. Wolves needs a complete rework. Facts, 30 Hours, NMPILA and Real Friends have no place on the album. Replace those tracks with ACTUALLY FINISHED songs. The only finished sounding previously unreleased songs on Pablo are ULB Feedback Famous High Lights and FML. The rest of the songs sound great, then they're over.

He literally took everyones pre-order money, released the album half cooked, now says the album will never never never be released physically, thanks for the cash.

Tesseract

Banned
still dig the album, but kanye is a giant booger butt for doing us like this.

if he really did need the money, he could've collaborated with humblebundle or something. make bank, and support good causes.

instead we have this shit.

Rembrandt

Banned
good
shit was unnecessary anyway

Probably for the best.

GAF gets pissy when Kanye is mentioned, and spamming everything he tweets on OT is pushing the blowback.

We already got people saying the entire album is gutter trash, no need to lock up everything Kanye into a "garbage OT" like they use to with lots of stuff in the 00's.

shit was getting heated 10 posts in.

Ive never watched his vids but read a lot of comments concerning his reviews on here and reddit, and I would think that he'd be really pretentious. But interesting I'll maybe give him a try if you say he isn't.

just don't take his reviews to heart like everyone else does.

TheFixer

Neo Member
Well finally listened to it. Congrats to Kanye for making an album that was even worse than Yeezus. A real accomplishment. Only one good song on the whole album.( No More Parties in L.A)
Gotta commend you for so confidently coming to terms with having terrible taste

Ashhong

I never cared about a thematically composed album. I'd like an album with complete songs. FSMH ends abruptly. Needs another verse. Waves needs another Ye verse. Freestyle 4 needs another verse. Wolves needs a complete rework. Facts, 30 Hours, NMPILA and Real Friends have no place on the album. Replace those tracks with ACTUALLY FINISHED songs. The only finished sounding previously unreleased songs on Pablo are ULB Feedback Famous High Lights and FML. The rest of the songs sound great, then they're over.

He literally took everyones pre-order money, released the album half cooked, now says the album will never never never be released physically.

Lmao if you really think he took pre order money and will never release said product you are either dumb or ignorant. Also everything after Wolves are bonus tracks.

nib95

Banned

He literally took everyones pre-order money, released the album half cooked, now says the album will never never never be released physically, thanks for the cash.

A short track doesn't mean that it's necessarily unfinished. I agree that I would have loved all the tracks you mentioned to be longer, but by the same token I'm still glad they're in rather than out, or not instead replaced by something longer but less interesting and dynamic.

Also, what is unfinished about Real Friends, NMPILA and Facts? I personally think Real Friends is an incredible track that literally needs nothing else done to it besides slightly better mastering (bass is a little distorted in places). As a track it's very well composed and rich in content, both musically and lyrically. It's perplexing to me that you think it's unfinished, more so because it's actually been finished for quite some time.

NotLiquid

During my first listen of the album I'm going to make it a point to take a good 10 minute break after listening to Wolves in order to soak in the intended experience. I get the sense that I'll probably enjoy the bonus tracks regardless.

Wonder whether the two parts should have been categorized as suites instead. ULB - Wolves as The Life Of Pablo while SSI - Fade is Which / One to further the distinction.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
How do we know this has anything to do with yeezy.

Actually it seems to have no context at all.

Doubt it has anything to do with him.

JackEtc

How do we know this has anything to do with yeezy.

Actually it seems to have no context at all.

Doubt it has anything to do with him.

The way I see it the lack of context is EXACTLY why it definitely is about Kanye

The timing and everything is just too perfect. And see what I said above as well

Owari

Lmao if you really think he took pre order money and will never release said product you are either dumb or ignorant. Also everything after Wolves are bonus tracks.
I'm dumb because Kanye said it would never be released? Why would he say shit like that if it isn't true and why am I dumb for believing him?

A short track doesn't mean that it's necessarily unfinished. I agree that I would have loved all the tracks you mentioned to be longer, but by the same token I'm still glad they're in rather than out, or not instead replaced by something longer but less interesting and dynamic.

Also, what is unfinished about Real Friends, NMPILA and Facts? I personally think Real Friends is an incredible track that literally needs nothing else done to it besides slightly better mastering (bass is a little distorted in places). As a track it's very well composed and rich in content, both musically and lyrically. It's perplexing to me that you think it's unfinished, more so because it's actually been finished for quite some time.
the latter 3 songs don't sound unfinished, they just seemed tacked on to an incomplete album to make it seem finished. They're solid tracks and I love them, but they don't fit with the album at all and it's obvious the album was way too short (around 30 minutes) without them.

Owari

During my first listen of the album I'm going to make it a point to take a good 10 minute break after listening to Wolves in order to soak in the intended experience. I get the sense that I'll probably enjoy the bonus tracks regardless.

Wonder whether the two parts should have been categorized as suites instead. ULB - Wolves as The Life Of Pablo while SSI - Fade is Which / One to further the distinction.
That's a great idea. It'll show you how short and incomplete Pablo feels. The first 12 tracks are the entire album if there was more than one actual verse on each song.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom