• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West presents The Life of Pablo |OT| WE ON AN ULTRA LIGHT BEAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owari

The quick pacing is one of my favorite things about the album.
It literally sounds incomplete. This album is a solid 8/10 that could be a 10/10 if he actually finished the tracks. Could be his best album, but it's his worst, since it's not finished. The See Tickets email and Kanye's Wolves tweets even confirmed the album is incomplete.

sdornan

It literally sounds incomplete. This album is a solid 8/10 that could be a 10/10 if he actually finished the tracks. Could be his best album, but it's his worst, since it's not finished. The See Tickets email and Kanye's Wolves tweets even confirmed the album is incomplete.

I agree. The incompleteness is way worse than the thematic inconsistency and subpar flow.

hughesta

Banned
I don't doubt that the album is still being tinkered with, but I think Wolves being retooled is more a response to the criticism than of it being incomplete. With all the reports of elements being removed from songs (a Thug verse on Highlights, a longer intro to FML, and more that I'm forgetting) I think it was an intentional decision.

nib95

Banned
I'm dumb because Kanye said it would never be released? Why would he say shit like that if it isn't true and why am I dumb for believing him?

the latter 3 songs don't sound unfinished, they just seemed tacked on to an incomplete album to make it seem finished. They're solid tracks and I love them, but they don't fit with the album at all and it's obvious the album was way too short (around 30 minutes) without them.

What doesn't fit about them? FML, Real Friends and Wolves all work together in a consistent block that makes for a more introspective and dejected segment of the album. And then tracks like 30 Hours, NMPILA and Facts just pick things up again post intermission. So I personally disagree.

Regarding the flow of the album, I thought Waves was a track that was less successfully positioned, along with Low Lights, which just seemed like a bit of a random interjection.

SeroTyler

First one to talk gets to stay on the aircraft!
KTT seems confident the Wiz tweet is about Ian Conner, but I fully expect Kanye is drafting his tweets as we speak.

why are people even trying to use these to invalidate someone's musical opinions.

My thoughts exactly

I mean, I'm completely unfamiliar with either of those situations but I would guess they're moments that his stated opinion was fucking stupid, shitty, or both? Which, since they're... you know.. his opinion just like his music reviews... would be relevant in taking a stance that the dude has shit opinions in general.

It's really not out of pocket at all.

Ashhong

I'm dumb because Kanye said it would never be released? Why would he say shit like that if it isn't true and why am I dumb for believing him?

the latter 3 songs don't sound unfinished, they just seemed tacked on to an incomplete album to make it seem finished. They're solid tracks and I love them, but they don't fit with the album at all and it's obvious the album was way too short (around 30 minutes) without them.

Because if you thought about it for one minute you would realize that is literally fraud and no artist would do that. Kanye is a dumbass on Twitter. Everyone knows this by now. And if you don't you should learn it. He can't take money for preorders and not deliver the product without refunding.

Kanye did the same thing with Yeezus where he touched up songs between the digital and physical release. He's "fixing" wolves yes, probably because of the massive amount of criticism that came out. He didn't have to, and it would have been just as complete as it will be with Sia on it.

Also, let's just ignore the tidal tweet for a bit. He released it on tidal, a streaming service, and hasn't yet given out purchased copies. In my head he basically delayed his album and is allowing us to listen to his "unfinished" album like a demo. Is it a mess? Yes. He needs to have a goddamn PR person handling this. But is he fucking over and disrespecting his fans? Until the tidal exclusivity is 100% confirmed then no, I don't think so.

All of your other complaints are subjective and I won't get into it. Just because you think a song is short doesn't mean it's incomplete.

nib95

Banned
Because if you thought about it for one minute you would realize that is literally fraud and no artist would do that. Kanye is a dumbass on Twitter. Everyone knows this by now. And if you don't you should learn it. He can't take money for preorders and not deliver the product without refunding.

Kanye did the same thing with Yeezus where he touched up songs between the digital and physical release. He's "fixing" wolves yes, probably because of the massive amount of criticism that came out. He didn't have to, and it would have been just as complete as it will be with Sia on it.

Also, let's just ignore the tidal tweet for a bit. He released it on tidal, a streaming service, and hasn't yet given out purchased copies. In my head he basically delayed his album and is allowing us to listen to his "unfinished" album like a demo. Is it a mess? Yes. He needs to have a goddamn PR person handling this. But is he fucking over and disrespecting his fans? Until the tidal exclusivity is 100% confirmed then no, I don't think so.

All of your other complaints are subjective and I won't get into it. Just because you think a song is short doesn't mean it's incomplete.

I should also add that we're all essentially listening to it for free. This version of it hasn't cost us anything besides maybe 3 minutes of our time in signing up for the Tidal trial. I'm actually glad he's doing any post release work to the album at all, especially with Wolves. Like you said, he doesn't have to.

I should also add that we're all essentially listening to it for free. This version of it hasn't cost us anything besides maybe 3 minutes of our time in signing up for the Tidal trial. I'm actually glad he's doing any post release work to the album at all, especially with Wolves. Like you said, he doesn't have to.

Plus your personal information, but hey, I'll pay it.

lawl

I mean, I'm completely unfamiliar with either of those situations but I would guess they're moments that his stated opinion was fucking stupid, shitty, or both? Which, since they're... you know.. his opinion just like his music reviews... would be relevant in taking a stance that the dude has shit opinions in general.

bringing up someone's opinions outside of their expertise to discredit their relevant opinions is pretty wack

his stance on gamergate/whatever else could make him a shitty dude but it doesn't take away from his ability to review music

no doubt. his love of death grips is enough to invalidate his musical opinion

death grips is good tho

so we don't even bother to listen to how he rationalizes his opinions, it's just 'he might have supported gamer gate, all his opinions are invalid'?

Owari

What doesn't fit about them? FML, Real Friends and Wolves all work together in a consistent block that makes for a more introspective and dejected segment of the album. And then tracks like 30 Hours, NMPILA and Facts just pick things up again post intermission. So I personally disagree.

Regarding the flow of the album, I thought Waves was a track that was less successfully positioned, along with Low Lights, which just seemed like a bit of a random interjection.
I agree about Low Lights. That track gets skipped every time. Totally out of place. Only adds to the incomplete feel.

I don't want a refund though, I want the album. Why would he said it will "never never never" release? Cause it's not going to. He's completely turned his back on the fans and it's not cool because the album is excellent and I want to pay for it. He's literally saying "man I'm in so much debt pls help me mark zuckerburg" then turning around and saying "I don't need money from album sales fuck y'all" it makes no sense. And Wolves could have been the best track on TLOP but they took off the drums for no reason and I personally think Ye's verse is pretty lacking

bringing up someone's opinions outside of their expertise to discredit their relevant opinions is pretty wack

his stance on gamergate/whatever else could make him a shitty dude but it doesn't take away from his ability to review music

The image literally says "Discussing Social Justice in Music"

I'm also not really sure that "expertise" is the correct word to use for a Blog/Vlog music critic. When your career is based on giving opinions and people trusting those opinions.. expressing shitty ones in any field is a bad move and opens you up to get criticized yourself.

so we don't even bother to listen to how he rationalizes his opinions, it's just 'he might have supported gamer gate, all his opinions are invalid'?

You're going to want to re-read what I wrote and do so without the chip on your shoulder. You questioned why those comments would be relevant to what he does. I pointed out that they're likely (given.. you know.. context) shitty and so they're perfectly relevant.

I will say, as an aside, that if you do something shitty or say something shitty in your life... no one else is obligated to consider your rationalization.

Ran rp

Nah, the quick cuts makes it feel like I'm channel surfing. Love it.

Waves was a good title. It's messy but smooth as hell at the same time. Edit: maybe messy isn't the right word.

Owari

PSY・S;195436817 said:
Nah, the quick cuts makes it feel like I'm channel surfing. Love it.
Well get ready for the L when the completed album is posted. Exclusive to Tidal, so we all get Ls.

Wait for it...

157161728.jpg

hughesta

Banned
Kanye will be the face of the hate that people will direct towards blacks because Kendrick was fucking robbed

And this fucking board will only continue to shit on him with their half assed spoon fed views

Oh well, Kanye's our martyr and I appreciate it
:( love you fzz

Okay, guys, this is the thread for The Life of Pablo, we really, really do not need to turn it into some sort of Kanye stan anger mill. Let's tone it way, way down before I have to end up locking this. This isn't the Grammy thread, it's the TLoP thread.

FZZ

Banned
Okay, guys, this is the thread for The Life of Pablo, we really, really do not need to turn it into some sort of Kanye stan anger mill. Let's tone it way, way down before I have to end up locking this. This isn't the Grammy thread, it's the TLoP thread.

Sorry

I'll stop

With that said I have been giving the album a lot more spins in my car and the subtleties you hear with headphones are impossible to hear and the clipping becomes an issue with bass heavy songs, I am messing with my EQs and found a decent balance. It seems to be a slight increase of bass and an increase in treble usually with treble one or two levels below the bass depending on the track. Ofc it's different for every sound system but if you guys have issues try messing with the EQ.

Also if you guys have any suggestions please tell me because I need to hear Fade more in my car.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Edit : aiiiitteee

The reason I can't stop listening to this is because there's so many different layers to the songs, and there's not one or two in particular I keep wanting to go back to. I just want to listen to it over and over again from start to finish. The last album like this for me was TPAB.

robotrock

Banned
Sorry

I'll stop

With that said I have been giving the album a lot more spins in my car and the subtleties you hear with headphones are impossible to hear and the clipping becomes an issue with bass heavy songs, I am messing with my EQs and found a decent balance seems to be a slight increase of bass and an increase in treble usually with treble one or two levels below the bass depending on the track. Ofc it's different for every sound system but if you guys have issues try messing with the EQ.

Mike Dean!!!!

*shakes fists*

The image literally says "Discussing Social Justice in Music"

I'm also not really sure that "expertise" is the correct word to use for a Blog/Vlog music critic. When your career is based on giving opinions and people trusting those opinions.. expressing shitty ones in any field is a bad move and opens you up to get criticized yourself.

Right but I'm saying him sharing his views on gamergate or making a video about social justice in music doesn't really have much to do with his bread and butter, album reviews.

Dude's livelihood comes from his expansive knowledge on music and him reviewing it. comes close enough to the meaning of expertise for me. Or at least a level of seeming expertise

yes you're right
I haven't read it but I can bet it's likely I would disagree with his views on gamergate. But I'm still gonna watch some of his videos occasionally. I'm still going to listen to Kanye albums even though he can be an asshole. I'm still gonna watch Roman Polanski films.
I realise there is a difference between the divergence of art & artist argument and a music reviewer. But I don't think that difference is necessarily that big either

But how much worse off are your criticisms of his?

It has zero effect on anyone but himself.

Right but I'm saying him sharing his views on gamergate or making a video about social justice in music doesn't really have much to do with his bread and butter, album reviews.

Dude's livelihood comes from his expansive knowledge on music and him reviewing it. comes close enough to the meaning of expertise for me.

yes you're right
I haven't read it but I can bet it's likely I would disagree with his views on gamergate. But I'm still gonna watch some of his videos occasionally. I'm still going to listen to Kanye albums even though he can be an asshole. I'm still gonna watch Roman Polanski films.

My point is that there's legitimate correlation to make because in the end, his reviews and his statements on.. well anything else (when given in a public forum) are all opinion. It's a stronger correlation than Artists actions and statements in their lives and their Art.

Ashhong

I agree about Low Lights. That track gets skipped every time. Totally out of place. Only adds to the incomplete feel.

I don't want a refund though, I want the album. Why would he said it will "never never never" release? Cause it's not going to. He's completely turned his back on the fans and it's not cool because the album is excellent and I want to pay for it. He's literally saying "man I'm in so much debt pls help me mark zuckerburg" then turning around and saying "I don't need money from album sales fuck y'all" it makes no sense. And Wolves could have been the best track on TLOP but they took off the drums for no reason and I personally think Ye's verse is pretty lacking

Here's the thing you keep skipping past in my replies. Kanye is an absolute ass on Twitter. Everybody knows it by now. You should be able to see that based on the last two days alone. All I'm saying is, try not to believe everything he says. Until it's confirmed by anybody else I just don't see it as truth. Just don't overreact, that's all. Like you said, it makes no sense, so let's wait until it does before condemning him.

I don't find anything lacking in Wolves but to each his own. Like I said, he doesn't have to fix it, but he is. There's tons of shit he messed up on Yeezus and MBDTF that I wish he had gone back and fixed. You should be happy he's changing it, especially if it (maybe) turns into what you enjoy more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom