• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West presents Yeezus |OT| #YeezySeason Approaches

I also have a soft spot for Hey Mama.

Yeah, I routinely play Hey Mama when I dj for the family.

Like someone else said, each of KW's albums function differently. CD is a very raw album, LR and Graduation are similar but very different as well. 808s is that break album, and MBDTF is a supercharged evolution and mutation of Graduation and 808s. Like Radiohead, his albums are appealing at different points. One month (like spring-summer) I'm really into CD and LR. The happy, raw youthful exuberance matches those seasons well for me. Graduation is more of a fall album for me. 808s and MBDTF are winter, 808s when I feel lonesome and MBDTF has that raw, feral edge that I need to listen to sometimes. But I listen to music as an extension of my mood many times. Not sure if that's how others feel.

We can all agree that Cruel Summer was a major disappointment by Kanye's standards.

Average production for the most part, 1/3 of a verse from common, no mos def, no q-tip, barely any cudi except that out of place MOTM2 leftover.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
We can all agree that Cruel Summer was a major disappointment by Kanye's standards.

Average production for the most part, 1/3 of a verse from common, no mos def, no q-tip, barely any cudi except that out of place MOTM2 leftover.
All the singles we hot fiya though. New god flow is awesome.

SKINNER!

Banned
MBDTF are winter

Interestingly, I - too - associate MBDTF with winter primarily because it was snowing like crazy for weeks over here when the album was released and I was listening to it frequently while walking to/from uni. Usually it snows here for a few days and then disappears but this lasted for 3 weeks. The piano segments in Blame Game always reminds me of ice and seeing stalactites on house roofs. So Appalled reminds me of the times I'd drive home from work at night through heavy snow falling and violent, howling winds. All of the Lights = handing in my dissertation.

Yeah, that sounds kinda weird when written down but I have a habit of associating songs to events.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

CS was amazing for what it was, a posse album, not really a Kanye album (half the songs don't even feature Kanye).

To The World, The Morning, Higher, and Sin City are all fantastic (all of which have great production; and all the singles do too). The album loses a lot of steam because of The One/Bliss but otherwise it's a pretty good compilation. Plus the singles are the other half of the album and are all complete fire. Really, I'm okay with no Q-Tip if it means we get songs like New God Flow and Higher and Sin City.

Most of the album has crazy replay value, except Bliss and The One pretty much.

Gorillaz

The Morning and To the World should have been singles on Cruel Summer. Those are the only tracks I still play today.

I play Sin City every now and then

f0rk

The singles were strong, but everything else wasn't even close to being on par with them

With the exception with the R Kelly track "to the world", where R Kelly stole the show on the album

That's still more than half the album by my count (although I admit could be a couple less for some). If the album came before the singles perceptions would be very different imo, people would be talking about how fucking hard the first half bangs with disappointment in how it tapers off, and Don't Like being a really weird closer.

CS was amazing for what it was, a posse album, not really a Kanye album (half the songs don't even feature Kanye).

To The World, The Morning, Higher, and Sin City are all fantastic (all of which have great production; and all the singles do too). The album loses a lot of steam because of The One/Bliss but otherwise it's a pretty good compilation. Plus the singles are the other half of the album and are all complete fire. Really, I'm okay with no Q-Tip if it means we get songs like New God Flow and Higher and Sin City.

Most of the album has crazy replay value, except Bliss and The One pretty much.

That's still more than half the album by my count (although I admit could be a couple less for some). If the album came before the singles perceptions would be very different imo, people would be talking about how fucking hard the first half bangs with disappointment in how it tapers off, and Don't Like being a really weird closer.

It's not a bad album, just a 3/5 album for me, which is disappointing by my standards for kanye. Because everything before that he released, including WTT is at least a 4/5 album.

Cruel Summer is one of the most forgettable high profile releases in the past couple of years.

Didn't care for any of it.

Yeah, it just came and went pretty quick. Kanye should of handled more productin or let q-tip handle it. Q tip said their will be a Cruel Winter album so we will see, but I doubt that gets released

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yeah, it just came and went pretty quick. Kanye should of handled more productin or let q-tip handle it. Q tip said their will be a Cruel Winter album so we will see, but I doubt that gets released
They already confirmed Cruel Winter isn't happening anymore.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Kanye not doing pre-orders for Yeezus?

yeezus-preorder-450x746.jpg

EDIT: Derp, double post.

I'm really pleasantly surprised Burial agreed to working with him. This is one of the last collabs I would have ever expected considering how selective Burial is with his collaborations.

Is there any actual truth to it though? I know Zomby tweeted something about it, but I would't listen to anything Zomby says.

If people are after a dark track Burial will deliver.

Clott

From the sound of things it looks like he has been experimenting with a lot of different talent, I hope we get something dark like 808's.

Ashhong

I can't believe there's only about 3 weeks left until a new Yeezy album. I'm kind of sad about all the lengths he's going to to prevent any leaks though. I miss the days of MBDTF when we would go crazy over every snippet we could find. Not to mention the epic, EPIC GOOD Fridays.

Galang

Banned
Is there any actual truth to it though? I know Zomby tweeted something about it, but I would't listen to anything Zomby says.

If people are after a dark track Burial will deliver.

Yeah Zomby is constantly talking smack. Not sure if it's really believable, but hopefully it is true.

PlayDat

There are people who hate School Spirit? My only problem with the song was it being censored on the explicit version of CD. I always thought Family Business was the weakest on that album, but I usually dislike tracks about putting family first and all that.

solarus

I can't believe there's only about 3 weeks left until a new Yeezy album. I'm kind of sad about all the lengths he's going to to prevent any leaks though. I miss the days of MBDTF when we would go crazy over every snippet we could find. Not to mention the epic, EPIC GOOD Fridays.
The hype for MBTF was unreal, looks like he doesn't want anything to do with that this time, basically dropping it all at once (excluding those snl performances).

Kaizer

Banned

Man, those were the days. Think I was still waiting to be approved for GAF at that point, but every Friday from like September to December was insane.

Interesting. I wonder why this is being done?

Kanye has that legit anti-leak technology, man. I want to go into this album blind, anyway. I did my best to do that with My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy and plan to do it with this one.

All kanye albums have leaked as early as most major releases, not sure what anti leak talk you're talking about

If you're talking about WTT, that's only because it was released first as a digital title

Talon

Man, giving College Drop Out and LR a spin again, and I really miss this era Kanye. Spaceship -> Jesus Walks -> Never Let Me Down -> Get Em High -> The New Workout Plan is fantastic.

I say this as someone that loved MBDTF.

Oozer3993

It was. Then all of us listening to the album in one of the various dj websites. Maaann.

The first file put up of it was named "Flockaveli" and people in the listening room were getting pissed that some one was spamming the chat with links to what they thought was a different album :lol

The whole "no cover art" thing has got to be misinformation or a really recent decision, since Malik tweeted (and then hastily deleted) those pictures of his demo copies.

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
Welcome to Heartbreak + the video for it is sooooooo good. Been on repeat for a while. I really need to give 808's a full listen. :'(

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
did you buy the vh1 dvd?
Naw.. didn't really follow Yeezy during the 808's period. But, I was all about Paraonoid and Heartless. Love that shit. I'll definitely give that dvd a look though. Storytellers, right?

Ashhong

Welcome to Heartbreak + the video for it is sooooooo good. Been on repeat for a while. I really need to give 808's a full listen. :'(

The fuck, you haven't listened to the whole album? You're dead to me until you do. Robocop and Street Lights were my fucking jam.

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
The fuck, you haven't listened to the whole album? You're dead to me until you do. Robocop and Street Lights were my fucking jam.
Wow! Rude :( I've heard every song from the album but never gave it a listen from start to finish. I really need to. I abused the shit out of MBDTF.

I know WTT didn't leak. Did Cruel Summer?
Yes Cruel Summer leaked.

And speaking of Zomby and Burial, never heard of them until today. How up your own ass do you need to be to not work with Kanye West if given the opportunity.
Sounds like above average overproduced electronica shit on youtube that a teenager would make over a weekend. Also who gives a shit?

That gif is about to give me a seizure. I hope side-by-side captioned animated gifs don't take off because it took me about 30 seconds to figure it out and even after that it made me dizzy. Literally.

Tokubetsu

Yes Cruel Summer leaked.

And speaking of Zomby and Burial, never heard of them until today. How up your own ass do you need to be to not work with Kanye West if given the opportunity.
Sounds like above average overproduced electronica shit on youtube that a teenager would make over a weekend. Also who gives a shit?

That gif is about to give me a seizure. I hope side-by-side captioned animated gifs don't take off because it took me about 30 seconds to figure it out and even after that it made me dizzy. Literally.

Obviously a lot of people.

Top Bottom