• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West presents Yeezus |OT| #YeezySeason Approaches

All this hype over Blood on the Leaves, and all I hear is robot sex voice ruining a Nina Simone song. The verse was good, but that was a whole lot of bullshit to deal with just to get to the verse

EloquentM

aka Mannny
This production wouldn't sound right without kaynes bad lyrics. Besides at least they're all tongue-and-cheek and very quotable.

It's better produced than Nas's Untitled, the last time a smart/swaggy artist went explicitly pro-black, but it's just on par otherwise. :(

First Man of Steel, now this. The Last of Us, you're my only hope.

Greg

feels really cohesive as an album, but the songs themselves have some really amateurish-sounding transitions - I'm sure it'll all be bought into as sounding "experimental" because Kanye is behind it, but I doubt it would be as accepted if someone else's name was attached

really digging the end of New Slaves and I'm In It

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Because I could find a high-res cropped cover with the original tape, I made one. Also corrected exposure and made the tape a nicer red:
Respect. I think I'll be using this too.

Also I don't remember who was asking for features, but here:

2633B857-D8FD-4841-878C-3360E8C6C773-2356-000002D0139A60D8-1.jpg
Uh.. this still has songs as "untitled" lol

Also it's clearly CuDi. We know that from iTunes. People just thought it was Travi$ Scott because he's a moron. Don't believe any tracklists/features/credits going around right now. They're all unsourced from KTT.

Fjordson

I really like Send It Up for some reason. Just wish it was longer.

Also sort of wish the ending of New Slaves was a full song.

And I actually love Can't Hold My Liquor. When I saw the Keef feature I figured it would be the worst thing ever, but he actually doesn't detract from the song. Beat is on some real cinematic shit.

Still not feeling I'm In It and the Kid Cudi song, but liking everything else.

The praise for Bound 2 is weird to me. It's such a flat outro. Sounds like the intro bars for a better track, except over and over for almost 4 minutes. Weak.

Hold My Liquor, I'm In It, Blood On The Leaves, Guilt Trip, Send It Up >>>>>>>>

Oozer3993

I didn't see it actually posted, but I could have just missed it: Rolling Stone Review (4.5/5).

Every mad genius has to make a record like this at least once in his career – at its nastiest, his makes Kid A or In Utero or Trans all look like Bruno Mars.

And USA Today (4/4).

Give him credit for not taking the easy route and compiling a bunch of radio tracks.

Instead, he created a polarizing, multi-layered body of work that probably will be debated all summer. Who does that besides Kanye West? Maybe he's a Yenius.

New York Daily News (5/5):

It’s just the album it should be: a chutzpah classic.

tumblr_mbjpnspnHR1rgde37o1_500.gif

Not gonna spend much time beating around the bush: Yeezus is pretty good. I must say I was worried during the first track which is pretty shitty to me, and sounds unmastered or something. But that initial low point serves as a launch pad for the rest of the album, and you can also tell Rick Rubin saved this from being a complete mess; there are a lot of ideas thrown around, many of which could have easily failed. This new version of Black Slaves is much better without the ugly outro the original version had, for instance.

Keef continues his dope crooning hook streak on Hold My Liquor. I'm In It broke my face, although I have no idea wtf RZA did on this track. Blood On The Leaves is one of Kanye's best songs (despite the "Jay-Z/Beyonce/lazy" rhyme being a Krispy Kreme rip off), and such a perfect mixture of every style his albums have explored; I'd love to see this mixture explored more. And when those horns kicked in I knew we'd get a C-Murder reference.

The entire second half of the album is strong actually. Send It Up's synth line works perfectly, perhaps more than any on the album; if there's one sound I can imagine The Camel aping, it's this. Bound 2 is in a similar vein as Blood On The Leaves to me, in terms of Kanye's sound coming full circle. Overall it's a dope album. Lyrically it's not as bad as some are saying. There are some undeniably BAD lines, like "I be speaking swageli." C'mon ninja, the fuck is that. But there are plenty of 2 Chainz-esque moments of odd yet endearing wit.

She Instagram herself like "Bad bitch alert"/
He Instagram his watch like "Mad rich alert"/
He only wanna see that ass in reverse/
Two thousand dollar bag with no cash in your purse/

That part from Blood On The Leaves are probably the smoothest lines on this entire album. I wanna hear more of that from Kanye. I'd be fine with all the nonsense punchlines and made up words if he rode all the beats with that kind of control.

lol at someone who rebloged my Black Skinhead post and said no not well played Daft Punk.
Kanye delivered as always and DP brought the production to handle it.

cacophony

Yeezy's autotune singing before Frank comes in..

it sounds like hes singing in the shower

i still cant get over Bound. I like listening to it just cause it makes me laugh. I KNOW... YOURE TIRED

Round 1 isn't going well. I finished "I am a God" and didn't move during the whole thing. Saw a lot of people recommend "Blood on the Leaves" so I skipped to it. Some damn good music. First track to make my head move.

OKay...back to New Slaves. Pretty good too. Album looking up.

Top Bottom