• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West presents Yeezus |OT| #YeezySeason Approaches

Hold my liquor has really grown on me.

Justin Vernon can bless any track. I'm glad him and kanye are still collabing.

his voice is godly during im in it. JV should be singing in every hook

I've already spent more time listening to Yeezus than RAM. I guess this is where Daft Punk's forward-thinking creativity went.

if kanye wasnt on those tracks we would be hearing how daft punk lost all creativity making generic techno sounding shit. im glad they went the direction they did with RAM

the only thing I'd change on this album is the "unholy matrimony" line. it sounds like he lost his train of thought and just through it on there

Fry

My final impressions of Yeezus:

I'm not disappointed. But I'm also not blown away by it. I prefer his last effort (MBDTF). I wouldn't put Yeezus along with his worst albums, nor his best albums. It's there, in the middle.

Overall, I liked most songs, but some simply aren't doing it for me: Send It Up is forgettable, Guilt Trip is so-so. I'll probably stop listening to HML soon enough, same with Bound 2. The rest are ok in my books.

I wanted less samples/less weird sounds and more Kanye. A la 808.

But I'm satisfied. I'd give it a 8.5.

Artemisia

Banned
I'll probably stop listening to Bound 2. .

iYrHpMLMVCDUX.gif

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
From "Hold My Liquor" to "Send It Up" is pure sex, and the only reason I don't include New Slaves in that is because I've listened to it so much already. Bound 2 is the only weak track. This shit bumps in the car too, so good.

I still think I need to wait at least a week to really review it. Only album I could really rate right away was GKMC.
10/10 ya bish
After the first listen I was feelin' a bit of "what the fuck is this" but on subsequent listenings the vision really comes into view and the album has grown immensely on me. CD is my favourite Kanye album, and this won't knock it from its perch, but only time will tell how close it can come to reaching that peak.

edit: Been a lurker there since MBDTF

JeTmAn81

I think this album is probably garbage. Kanye just seems like a parody of his own persona at this point. It boggles my mind that something like this gets as much respect among the mainstream press as it does. I think I'll just stick to Watch The Throne, I enjoyed it 10x more than any of Kanye's solo output with the exception of Power.

I think this album is probably garbage. Kanye just seems like a parody of his own persona at this point. It boggles my mind that something like this gets as much respect among the mainstream press as it does. I think I'll just stick to Watch The Throne, I enjoyed it 10x more than any of Kanye's solo output with the exception of Power.

You bought the wrong album homie, buy another copy of LR or CD and enjoy your time there.

#YeezusSeason

EDIT: Kenneth, I've never touched a post button there. I've lurked for many a time though.

Shagwell

Just finished my first listen through. I'm not the world's biggest Kanye fan but I do like a lot of his stuff. This didn't have as much of an impression on me as some of his other work, like MBDTF did the first run-through. I'm not saying it's bad. I could hear some of these beats bumping real loud at a party while I'm twisted and I'm sure I'll think it's the dopest shit ever. But having had a little solo listen on the headphones it just lacked a little...meaning for me.

Fjordson

Bound 2 is still my favourite. I like most of the other tracks other than Guilt Trip also, but soul sample Kanye will always be my favourite. And I love Charlie Wilson's part on there.

PBY

Banned
I love the on sight sample
"you give us what we need, it may not be what we want"

Then he goes fuck your transitions.

Robot Pants

What? Yea this album IS garbage but Watch the Throne better than his solo stuff? You outta ya mind. Watch the Throne is equally as bad as Yeezus

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I love the on sight sample
"you give us what we need, it may not be what we want"

Then he goes fuck your transitions.
Right before the sample he says lemmie show you how much I don't give a fuck which is why I'm not sure why people keep saying its out of place. It's done on purpose.

PBY

Banned
Right before the sample he says lemmie show you how much I don't give a fuck which is why I'm not sure why people keep saying its out of place. It's done on purpose.
Yup. I was kinda meeehh on I when I saw him live when I couldn't make out the words, but w the lyrics its awesome

Red_Man

I'd pay a lot of money for a full collab album between Kanye and Bon Iver a la Watch The Throne, I love everything they do together, they compliment each other amazingly.

I've been driving with it all weekend. It bangs.
Truth.

My final impressions of Yeezus:

I'm not disappointed. But I'm also not blown away by it. I prefer his last effort (MBDTF). I wouldn't put Yeezus along with his worst albums, nor his best albums. It's there, in the middle.

This pretty much reflects how I feel. Is there any serious (as in, super detailed and reasoned) analysis of the album online yet? I'd love to read some arguments as to why it's his best, because I'm not feeling it like that. Yet the response here and from the media is so positive that I'm convinced I'm missing something. I'm hearing a lot of "it's years ahead of the competition," and "it's dark," and "it's raw," and "it's conceptual," and it's "progressive" and those type of platitudes, but I don't find any of those convincing as arguments for something's worth. All that stuff is fine, but none of it automatically makes good (sort of like when people describe a game as "noir," implying that it must be good because of that).

Just to be clear: by no means do I hate it -- far from it -- but I'm really surprised by people claiming it's his best work, because to me that's not the case. I feel like I need some clear, detailed analysis to tell me what I'm missing, because I want to examine all this further to see if I'm at fault.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
This album lacks something. I dunno, if I wanted to listen to something hard as nails, I'd listen to Killer Mike's Rap Music, which delivers both on the beats and lyrics department.

Yeezus has some kickass tunes, but the lyrics are so poor, it makes the experience feel less complete.

Yado

I'm tired, you tired, Jesus wept.
#yeezus

Also, Guilt Trip has finally grown on me but Send It Up is still the ugly duckling.

Heh, opposite for me, Send It Up is one of my favourites.
Guilt Trip is probably the only track that doesn't seem to have anything going on that makes you stop and listen. It's not a bad song though, despite Cudi.

a lot of dudes on pure hiphop sites hate this album lol.

What about Send It Up appeals to you two? I think I'm just not the biggest fan of the beat. Time will tell.

You see my MEET ME SOMEWHERE comment? That is how this song makes me feel. It was the first song on the album that I liked a lot. It just bangs.

Red_Man

The best part of Yeezus is the lack of a Big Sean or 2 Chainz or feature
I was actually thinking of how weird it was neither made an appearance. I don't mind either, but they wouldn't fit in on this album.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
I'm downgrading yeezus to just a snack. its just too short. another thing is I felt like sonically it had momements of old kanye fighting with new kanye.

Top Bottom