• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West presents Yeezus |OT| #YeezySeason Approaches

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I can relate soooooo much with hold my liquor. That same situation happened to me in December. Crazy. YEEZY understands alcoholics.

K.Sabot

Man I despise most of these lyrics.

Especially the tonal shift of the lyrics between songs like Black Skinhead and the self absorbed drivel that is I Am a God, and then back to New Slaves.

Kanye is really lucky he came up at a time where he can be this fucking weird about his music and people will give him a pass.

Even 10 years ago this would have been career suicide.

Detox

I'm downgrading yeezus to just a snack. its just too short. another thing is I felt like sonically it had momements of old kanye fighting with new kanye.
If the lyrics were there you wouldn't be describing it as a snack. As it stands I agree, vapid isn't the right way to describe it especially sonically but it feels empty.

K.Sabot

Ye' got that producer's pass. He can make weird shit sound like pop. I definitely dig most of the beats on this album.

In terms of my criticism of I Am A God, I don't think I've put the context of meaning between the songs together yet. Still at the point where I'm focusing on songs individually.

Izick

So, not sure if this goes against the spirit of the thread, but for...um, those of you who have listened to it through some other means:

Am I getting College Trilogy Kanye, 808 Kanye, Dark Twisted Fantasy Kanye, something in between or something else entirely?

K.Sabot

I feel like it's trying to say we're all gods honestly. Probably wrong though.

Could be, but the lyrics seem too upper class to feel anything but exclusionary. Thinking about the transition between black skinhead, I am a God, and New Slaves seems like he's bouncing around perspectives.

So, not sure if this goes against the spirit of the thread, but for...um, those of you who have listened to it through some other means:

Am I getting College Trilogy Kanye, 808 Kanye, Dark Twisted Fantasy Kanye, something in between or something else entirely?

Lyrics remind me of MBDTF, but the beats are very grimy and dark like some Industrial Hip-hop nightmare.

This thing seems/sounds like an in-between-stage before he ultimately arrives at wherever it is he's trying to go. Like he hasn't QUITE got a handle on what he's trying to do, but he's going in the right direction.

Unless he catches unholy hell for breaking this wide from the norm, and retreats from wherever he's heading.

It's all over the place. Some songs immediately gave me an 808s vibe, and it closes with a CD feel. Then again some songs are like nothing you've probably ever heard from 'Ye.

Cagey

Banned
This album just isn't enjoyable to listen to.

Perhaps it's a difference in how one approaches music as art, but if I hear a song once and have no desire to hear it a second time, I just can't consider it a good song. A movie, I can watch once (King's Speech), appreciate the excellence and also enjoy the experience, and yet have no desire to watch again. With a song, though, if I don't have that desire to consume a second (or third or fourth) time, then I view it as bad.

Is it even possible to harbor all three of these thoughts: believe there's an objective greatness to a song, to have a subjective love of the song, and at the same time, have no desire to ever listen a second time (let alone put that shit on loop)?

Other than I'm In It, Bound 2 (because it's early Yeezy), and Blood on the Leaves (purely for the production from TNGHT), this whole damn album falls into the "heard it once, no more pls" category.

First Yeezy album I don't legitimately love. Feels bad.

I've listened to the album multiple times already and it's more of an accessible compilation of underground rap styles. It's something you'd never expect from Kanye and that's great.

This thing seems/sounds like an in-between-stage before he ultimately arrives at wherever it is he's trying to go. Like he hasn't QUITE got a handle on what he's trying to do, but he's going in the right direction.

Unless he catches unholy hell for breaking this wide from the norm, and retreats from wherever he's heading.

I think his whole France getaway will turn into a legit move if this isn't received well to be honest. I don't see him retreating so much as going into the "I'm an artist!" mode that a lot of left-field types do when their work is panned.

Edit: I should specify, I haven't heard this album yet so I could be off. But judging by the reception thus far.. it's way different than most other artists. Moreso than his previous work.

Mistle

This album sounds way better with car speakers than headphones tbh

Yeah, while I usually prefer hearing everything with headphones, this album benefits from just being blasted all around you, lol

uh huh honey ruined half of the song especially when it came out of nowhere over charlie wilson's lyrics

you know I'm telling the truth Gaf
Agreed. I'm coming to expect it now and it's not so bad, but I'm still not a fan of how jarring it is.

nns3d

This album lacks something. I dunno, if I wanted to listen to something hard as nails, I'd listen to Killer Mike's Rap Music, which delivers both on the beats and lyrics department.

Yeezus has some kickass tunes, but the lyrics are so poor, it makes the experience feel less complete.

That's how I feel about this project as well.

cacophony

Guilt Trip is probably the most pointless track.. i mean its the song he put Cootie on to do his ooh oh nanana's

I'm In It is still my favorite

this is probably my least fav ye record in front of 808s. it feels so unfinished to me

GatorBait

Am I imagining things or is there like a sample of the sound of Sonic the Hedgehog snagging a bunch of rings in "Blood on the Leaves?" (Example: around the 51-second mark).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I like this cover too:

tumblr_mofm9hlKPZ1rtvk7yo1_1280.jpg

methodman

Banned
Guilt Trip is probably the most pointless track.. i mean its the song he put Cootie on to do his ooh oh nanana's

this is probably my least fav ye record in front of 808s. it feels so unfinished to me
Definitely agree. I am pretty disappointed by this one, and college dropout is one of my favorite albums ever.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

You know CuDi is the truth. Best feature on the entire album.

Brother Cudder could sing his way out of Death Row.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
4 bonus tracks on the iTunes on Tuesday so says twitter.

Source, i just did a twitter search and came up with nothing.

Id love to know who is saying this and where they are hearing this.

It would be a great surprise but also i hate digital bonus tracks. Especially since i want a physical.

this album is wack as hell.

I like new slaves and LOVE blood on the leaves. But the rest of the album should have stayed on the cutting room floor or been released on Kanye's site as freebies.

with that said, is the yeezy 2 thing true with the album? where you random albums will have a voucher to purchase them?

I never checked back up on that stupid rumor.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Is this the part where we start begging for Popular and Living So Italian?
This is the part where we pray to Yeezus for absolution for the leak and that he may forgive us with the offerings of Living So Italian and Popular.

I'm digging most of the production. The beats heat have a real grimey, dark tone to them. Sounds like some real gutter underground stuff, yet the beats have a distinct quality to them that really isn't reminiscent of anything else I've ever heard. Good stuff, and Kanye isn't as terrible as I expected him to be, he turns in an average performance rapping wise, which is a step up for him.Don't know if I can see myself bumping this in two or three months time, but I like the album, and that's coming from someone who didn't like mbtdf, and thinks most of his prior albums didn't age well.

Oozer3993

Is this the part where we start begging for Popular and Living So Italian?

Living So Italian is locked hundreds of feet underground in Yeezy's "Do Not Open Until the Apocalypse/I Win AOTY at the Grammy's" vault with his Glow In The Dark tour footage, the Robocop video, the songs he did for Bieber's last album, and Really Doe's career.

Watch The Throne 2. Believe

Top Bottom