• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West presents Yeezus |OT| #YeezySeason Approaches

Cheddahz

Banned
I AM A GOD, WHERE ARE MY DAMN CROISSANTS?!?

Seriously, the is the best Kanye album I've heard since Late Registration......and that's saying something

It's a little weird that he's only actually produces a couple of songs but you can tell he still has total control over arrangement and how the tracks comes out all together.

DominoKid

Opinions on Ye's relative lack of presence on the production credits?

Yeezus:

So thats 4 credits in total, 2 of which are co-productions and one is an additional credit.

Dont care.

I'd rather he get people that can execute the sound he wants properly when its something he cant do on his own. A lesson in using the resources and connections at your disposal that a few other artists would do well to learn. *cough* j. cole *cough*

goodfella

Considering we know 'Blood on the Leaves' was once 'R U Ready', it's interesting how good of an idea we get as to how much input recieves a co-production credit.

Dont care.

I'd rather he get people that can execute the sound he wants properly when its something he cant do on his own. A lesson in using the resources and connections at your disposal that a few other artists would do well to learn. *cough* j. cole *cough*

Yeah *cough* KRIT *cough.

Really though, I'm enamoured with the album for the moment at least, but still, it is a significant step away from his auteur-like persona.

cdyhybrid

Yeezus:

So thats 4 credits in total, 2 of which are co-productions and one is an additional credit.

MBDTF he was credited on all but one track I think (Devil in a New Dress), and 808's he was credited on every track.

Edit: Just looked up LR and CD and he is credited for every track bar one in LR.

He's exec producer so he still had his hands in all the tracks. Fine with me. I don't need him to produce every track nowadays. I do expect his imprint on the final product, and that's what we got.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Apparently one of the deluxe tracks is called Do You Want a Tour? and it features Drake.
I want a Kanye/Drake song to just come out already so we know that they're cool [again] and so we can perhaps get another collab in the future.

Way too many times have we come close and it just hasn't panned out.

Yeezus:

MBDTF he was credited on all but one track I think (Devil in a New Dress), and 808's he was credited on every track.

Edit: Just looked up LR and CD and he is credited for every track bar one in LR.
Again, those credits are fake and have no source. Mike Dean himself confirmed them as being incorrect.

goodfella

I've also been thinking about the disparity between how serious Kanye says he takes himself and his music (or 'art)' in interviews and the ludacris, provocative, and often meaningless shit he tends to drop every once and awhile in his verses.

Now this would lead me to believe that he is just ignorant and talking out his arse in interviews, and that his insistence he is the greatest is nothing but his inflated ego, which is what most people think I rekon.

That he acknowledges his meaningless provocations in his songs though (obvious WTT sample/quote) shows he is at least self aware, and therefore cannot honestly think that highly of his art if he freely says ignorant shit.

Therefore his persona in interviews is in itself a meaningless provocation and is either a marketing/hype tool, or an attention seeking grab.

Or perhaps we are just witnessing a highly advanced lil' B.

Edit:

Again, those credits are fake and have no source. Mike Dean himself confirmed them as being incorrect.

Google can be misleading sometimes :/

Just re-read what I wrote before this edit, what a load of shit lol. Slightly embarrassing.
or is it genius?

Yeezus:

Kanye hasn't produced anything in years.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Kanye hasn't produced anything in years.
Nah, Kanye's always been producing, and he's never been better at it than he is now. Beat making alone? Yeah not in a while. And thank god for that. Ye has ascended to Dre status.

weren't the WTT tracks digital only? after i bought the CD i stuck it on my bookcase and never looked at it again so IDK.
Nah WTT had a physical deluxe along with a digital deluxe I think.

Jitters

562dxde.png

The album is incredible. Definitely a shift in his game and I love the experimentation he has done on the album. The dark electro industrial-beats sound quite peculiar and very unique to rap. Brilliant use of samples. Bound 2 ends the album nicely with a more Graduation-Esque Kanye.

The album seems to be getting incredible reviews so far. I can see it getting an Album of the Year nod at the Grammys but.. When was the last time a rap album won?

EloquentM

aka Mannny
The album is incredible. Definitely a shift in his game and I love the experimentation he has done on the album. The dark electro industrial-beats sound quite peculiar and very unique to rap. Brilliant use of samples. Bound 2 ends the album nicely with a more Graduation-Esque Kanye.

The album seems to be getting incredible reviews so far. I can see it getting an Album of the Year nod at the Grammys but.. When was the last time a rap album won?
Kanye has never gotten an album of the year nod thought he has won many Grammys including rap album of the year. That's his problem with that particular show.

Mistle

So this is out in Australia so I'm gonna go pick it up in a few hours. I wonder what the case will be like.

EDIT: ah dang it's out tomorrow, my bad. lucky i realised now before going out lol

Considering that the secret best song on WTT was a deluxe track ("Illest Motherfucker Alive"), I can't wait to hear the Yeezus deluxe tracks.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

This album is pure sex, but if MDTF didn't win an AOTY Grammy (robbed) then I have a very hard time seeing Yeezus do that seeing as it's sound is a lot more foreign and industrial.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This album is pure sex, but if MDTF didn't win an AOTY Grammy (robbed) then I have a very hard time seeing Yeezus do that seeing as it's sound is a lot more foreign and industrial.
Yeah, I think Yeezus will lose a lot of points from reviewers for being nowhere near as cohesive as MBDTF thematically. Sonically it's a bit more cohesive but MBDTF comes together far too well with a wider variety of sounds, so it's a bit grander of an accomplishment.

But generally fuck reviews/awards.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Yeah, I think Yeezus will lose a lot of points from reviewers for being nowhere near as cohesive as MBDTF thematically. Sonically it's a bit more cohesive but MBDTF comes together far too well with a wider variety of sounds, so it's a bit grander of an accomplishment.

But generally fuck reviews/awards.
What? Dark fantasy is a lot less cohesive sonically that yeezus bar bound 2s existence.

Sadsic

not to be an asshole but this album sounds like shit to me. not the music or the lyrics or whatever just the literal production of the sound sounds like shit... too overcompressed sounding or something

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
What? Dark fantasy is a lot less cohesive sonically that yeezus bar bound 2s existence.
I don't think it's a lot less, but the way the theme binds together all the grandiose sounds with some of the darker and brighter ones too is a bit greater of an accomplishment than Yeezus which is a bit all over the place in terms of content/theme.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
You guys not including Cruel Summers in your rankings? The fact that he did 808s, MBDTF, WTT, CS, and now Yeezus in succession is fucking ridiculous. I can't recall another artist with that many fantastic albums in a row.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Haaaa ur bottom three are my top 3 followed by CD
Whaaaaaaaaa?

With respect to the Kanye cycle, I think the only way you can completely rule a list as being wrong is if TCD isn't in the Top 3. You get one spot if you prefer LR, one spot if you've got a funny 808s/MBDTF pick or something, but then after that there's no excuse.

Yeezus:

I don't really mind. He makes great beats but to me this really isn't any different from using studio musicians - not to mention the fact that a lot of rappers don't produce their own beats. It's still their artistic direction.

Whaaaaaaaaa?

With respect to the Kanye cycle, I think the only way you can completely rule a list as being wrong is if TCD isn't in the Top 3. You get one spot if you prefer LR, one spot if you've got a funny 808s/MBDTF pick or something, but then after that there's no excuse.

The College Dropout has enough bloat mixed in with it's GOAT tracks that I can totally see ranking it lower than everything else.

Graduation is his lowest though

DominoKid

Whaaaaaaaaa?

Dropout gets by mostly on nostalgia. On the Yeezy scale it's amateur compared to the rest of his stuff although it's at least better than 808s.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So many strong lyrics on New Slaves. It's pretty outstanding.
It's very well crafted, each line is very clear cut and the song has you really listening for what he's saying. No wasted lines or filler. The first verse especially. I think that might be the highlight of the album lyrically.

grkazan12

Been listening to it for the past couple of days and I have to say that it's pretty damn good.I would have to say that my favorite part of the album is the simplicity in the beats themselves. Ye did a complete 180 from the lavish and a tad overproduced MBDTF (I'm looking at you AOTL) to the simple and raw beats of Yeezus. Not sure where this ranks with his other albums, but it's dope. I'm glad he went with a different sound once again, I'm always excited to hear what he has to offer and Yeezus is another genre bend.

Also, just to clarify I like Kanye West as a musician and a person. I swear to god this one dude I work with always hates on Kanye just because of the Taylor Swift incident. I never really cared for the event, I thought it was kind of funny ( it was a VMA for christ sake). My co worker just always brings that up all the time whenever I'm listening to Kanye and it just gets annoying and old.

Just curious, for the people who still love Ye as a person and didn't care about that event, what do you say to people who always think of that event when talking about Kanye?

Sorry I brought such a dumb and old "controversy".

EloquentM

aka Mannny
surely we can all agree graduation is Kanye's worst?
Does he have a "worst" album? I'm starting to feel like I like his albums for different reasons without needing to rank them, especially since all his albums sound different. Music is diverse like that.

Top Bottom