• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West presents Yeezus |OT| #YeezySeason Approaches

IceCold

not to be an asshole but this album sounds like shit to me. not the music or the lyrics or whatever just the literal production of the sound sounds like shit... too overcompressed sounding or something

The mastering isn't very good (loudness wars) but they intentionally made the album sound gritty by over-compressing certain effects.

Fjordson

Starting to really love Hold My Liquor. Something about is just really dope. Shit is cinematic. And Keef manages to not fuck the song up.

surely we can all agree graduation is Kanye's worst?
Nah. Graduation had a few okay songs I think.

808's was the start of his garbage period. I'd take a pick out of that, MBDTF or Watch The Throne (if that counts). All of them are offensively bad.

jtb

Banned
I only say Graduation because Barry Bonds. oh and that Chris Martin song too. and I actually like 808s quite a bit.

Been listening to it for the past couple of days and I have to say that it's pretty damn good.I would have to say that my favorite part of the album is the simplicity in the beats themselves. Ye did a complete 180 from the lavish and a tad overproduced MBDTF (I'm looking at you AOTL) to the simple and raw beats of Yeezus. Not sure where this ranks with his other albums, but it's dope. I'm glad he went with a different sound once again, I'm always excited to hear what he has to offer and Yeezus is another genre bend.

Also, just to clarify I like Kanye West as a musician and a person. I swear to god this one dude I work with always hates on Kanye just because of the Taylor Swift incident. I never really cared for the event, I thought it was kind of funny ( it was a VMA for christ sake). My co worker just always brings that up all the time whenever I'm listening to Kanye and it just gets annoying and old.

Just curious, for the people who still love Ye as a person and didn't care about that event, what do you say to people who always think of that event when talking about Kanye?

Sorry I brought such a dumb and old "controversy".

I tell them "Kanye was right." I like his asshole persona; at least he owns up to it. nothing's more irritating than false modesty.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Starting to really love Hold My Liquor. Something about is just really dope. Shit is cinematic. And Keef manages to not fuck the song up.

Nah. Graduation had a few okay songs I think.

808's was the start of his garbage period. I'd take a pick out of that, MBDTF or Watch The Throne (if that counts). All of them are offensively bad.
I really like 808s. :-/

DominoKid

Been listening to it for the past couple of days and I have to say that it's pretty damn good.I would have to say that my favorite part of the album is the simplicity in the beats themselves. Ye did a complete 180 from the lavish and a tad overproduced MBDTF (I'm looking at you AOTL) to the simple and raw beats of Yeezus. Not sure where this ranks with his other albums, but it's dope. I'm glad he went with a different sound once again, I'm always excited to hear what he has to offer and Yeezus is another genre bend.

Also, just to clarify I like Kanye West as a musician and a person. I swear to god this one dude I work with always hates on Kanye just because of the Taylor Swift incident. I never really cared for the event, I thought it was kind of funny ( it was a VMA for christ sake). My co worker just always brings that up all the time whenever I'm listening to Kanye and it just gets annoying and old.

Just curious, for the people who still love Ye as a person and didn't care about that event, what do you say to people who always think of that event when talking about Kanye?

Fuck Taylor Swift and everybody that loves her.

Who gives a shit. Like really. We love celebrities who have done far worse than act a fool on TV.

Fjordson

Taylor Swift is super hot and that was a dick move by Kanye, but I couldn't care less. Many creative types are total assholes. Some way, way worse than Kanye. He's a douche, but so what? I'll never have to interact with him so that means next to nothing to me. He ain't my role model, he's a talented artist.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I've done worse things than Kanye while drunk. From everything else I know about him, I would die to shake the dude's hand, have a discussion about music or art with him or even sit in on a studio session. The man exudes passion.

Brinbe

Going to the Yeezus projection tonight @ 12:30 by Osgoode station here in Toronto, anyone else check them out this weekend?

cacophony

how could you not find that hilarious. it's at a fucking circlejerk award show no one takes seriously and he was obviously drunk as shit

She deserved it because Beyonce had one of the greatest videos of all time

SD-Ness

I've given this one listen so far. I love it. Complex, crazy, and exciting. I have a feeling a lot of "people" — aka people who only listen to music for Top 40 hits — are going to be turned off by this album. It's a lot darker than his older stuff.

Also, regarding the issue of Kanye's personality: if you take any of the shit he does seriously, you're out of your mind. Like any celebrity, he does crazy stuff and gets a lot of attention. He's a polemicist. He's trying to get a rise out of people. I assume he laughs his ass off most of the time. The bottom line is that he's very talented. He's a pretty good rapper (not the best), a clever lyricist, but an awesome songwriter and producer. As far as pop songs go, I think he's one of the best.

Bowser

guise halp i can't stop

r8QKmNB.png

overcast

The Swift incident was so fucking over blown its not funny. Well, it's pretty funny.

I find it so impressive how hungry Kanye still is. His albums are always so different from the last. He deserves recognition because of his fantastic and the incredibly varied sound he brings to rap each time. I realize he didn't "invent" these sounds, but he has had immense effect on the game.

Kwixotik

Does he have a "worst" album? I'm starting to feel like I like his albums for different reasons without needing to rank them, especially since all his albums sound different. Music is diverse like that.

Same. I've tried to rank them multiple times but just give up halfway through.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I've given this one listen so far. I love it. Complex, crazy, and exciting. I have a feeling a lot of "people" — aka people who only listen to music for Top 40 hits — are going to be turned off by this album. It's a lot darker than his older stuff.

Also, regarding the issue of Kanye's personality: if you take any of the shit he does seriously, you're out of your mind. Like any celebrity, he does crazy stuff and gets a lot of attention. He's a polemicist. He's trying to get a rise out of people. I assume he laughs his ass off most of the time. The bottom line is that he's very talented. He's a pretty good rapper (not the best), a clever lyricist, but an awesome songwriter and producer. As far as pop songs go, I think he's one of the best.
You should read rap genius lyric analysis regarding the last few words said on bound.

Brinbe

Just got back, shit was at Queen/York here in Toronto (one of four tonight) and it was pretty good. Not a crazy large crowd (considering everything else going down around here Luda/Joey Bada$$ and the MMVAs) but plenty of people walking around and stopping to watch. Guy next to us actually had the album and I was able to get a few pictures. (dat yellow stickertape)

Basically, they played the short American Psycho-inspired clip then the New Slaves vid. Then blasted Onsight, Blood on the Leaves and Black Skinheads over speakers with Yeezus June Eighteen on the screen. BotL is even more FUCKING AMAZING when blasted out to a crowd. Shit is simply beautiful.

Anyway, I'll post up a few pics when I'm done uploading.

GrayGrey

Neo Member
Waiting for the release, but from the way you guys are talking about Yeezus, I pray its a "give it some time so it can be appreciated" thing.

Mistle

it launches here in australia in 6 1/2 hours, i'm curious what the itunes art will be. most likely just the standard CD case with red tape i'd imagine.

it's not even listed on itunes yet here.

Soler

Banned
Taylor Swift is super hot and that was a dick move by Kanye, but I couldn't care less. Many creative types are total assholes. Some way, way worse than Kanye. He's a douche, but so what? I'll never have to interact with him so that means next to nothing to me. He ain't my role model, he's a talented artist.
She's pasty and flat

Soler

Banned
Clique >>>
Mercy >>>
New God Flow >>>
Higher >>>
Sin City >>>
IDL (Remix) >>> (original was better, tho.)

That's like half the album, too. I def fucks with CS. Shit bangs in the whip.
the album has no replay value
I have no desire to ever hear Any of those tracks for the rest of my life

Top Bottom