• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West - The Life of Pablo |OT2| I miss the OT1 Kanye.

Catvoca

Banned
YOOO?! YOOOOOOOOOOOOOO?!!!!! WHEN DID I GET A TAG! FAM! WE EAT TOGETHER ON THIS!

RAAAHHH

I'd like to thank the academy, my mama, Yeezus.

Me and my homies just out here looking for a happy beginning, middle, and ending!

You and Leo just had the best night of your lives.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
So my tidal trial subscription expired after 2 weeks. When is signed up they said a month.

Tidal taking an L again. Another one.

ItIsOkBro

New Ye Tweet Alert - @KanyeWest: Finally!!! Our guy!!! We're so so happy for Leo!!!

Yeezus showing love for DiCaprio's long sought Oscar win.

In the Benz with Leo and the car swerve

beSFiXF.png

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Man, OG Highlights is like a College Dropout version of the song. It's all over the place, but it's so awesome.
Honestly, I feel like both versions would have been a fantastic fit on Graduation.

I'm listening to the OG version a lot more now. It's just so bouncy and funky.

Are we giving up? I must say, hype is dying fast for me
Yeah at this point I think I'm exhausted by the whole rat race and am just waiting for release news or Wolves news.

MThanded

Are we giving up? I must say, hype is dying fast for me
I still haven't been refunded my money for the album preorder. I'd like to know what's up with that.

My tidal trial expired prematurely too.

I'm just going to hope that this album releases for sale in the near future.

I still haven't been refunded my money for the album preorder. I'd like to know what's up with that.

My tidal trial expired prematurely too.

I'm just going to hope that this album releases for sale in the near future.

maybe in his eulogy many years in the future will we get an album release.

NotLiquid

Starting to feel like I should just bite the bullet and check the album out. Losing my patience and I really don't think waiting for a "fixed" version of Wolves is gonna be worth it. Feels like the album is mostly going to be what it is now already and that all the chips are now on Turbo Grafx 16.

j-wood

http://www.droid-life.com/2016/02/29/report-samsung-in-talks-to-acquire-jay-zs-tidal/

On a related note, Complex is reporting that TIDAL may be delinquent on some royalties payments to artists only a year after it re-launched as the streaming service that would take care of artists and pay them the highest royalties of any other streaming service. That’s certainly not a good look when you friends at Samsung may be considering buying you out.

For the artists guys. Support tidal for the artists. lol, Come on Ye, I paid for your album already, give me it and my damn hoodie already! Ugh.

NotLiquid

Gonna listen to the album later I decided.

Tried MBDTF today, again. So Appalled is probably my favorite Kanye track at the moment, Jay is on point in this track.

Robot Pants

Gonna listen to the album later I decided.

Tried MBDTF today, again. So Appalled is probably my favorite Kanye track at the moment, Jay is on point in this track.
So Appalled is probably my favorite as well. It has been for a while. The production on that is too top notch. Maybe only surpassed by All of the Lights

213372bu

Banned
So I haven't checked this thread for a couple days and I see three magazines saying that Kim/Kanye either split or are divorced.

Is it true?

Are we finally getting "808s 2"???

NotLiquid

Listening to the album now and man, the bleached asshole line in Pt. 1 really IS that jarring lmao, and usually I feel like I can ignore Kanye's weaker bars. ULB to Pt. 1 was actually a really cool transition until that happened.

So I haven't checked this thread for a couple days and I see three magazines saying that Kim/Kanye either split or are divorced.

Is it true?

Is this the same magazine that said Kris hid OJ's murder weapon? And said that Angelina Jolie is actually a man?

chaislip3

Is it true?

First rule in this world, baby: don't pay attention to anything you see in the news.

NotLiquid

Listened through the whole album a few times and specifically a few songs, some thoughts.

Ultralight Beam is fantastic and I'd say sets the stage for the entire album. I feel like it emphasizes how this album definitely goes for a "gospel" vibe more than anything else.

Pt. 1 as mentioned earlier, I really don't care for the bars and they stick out like a sore thumb. Pt. 2 is a little bit of a redemption on that front.

Incidentally, Pt. 1, Feedback, Famous, Low Lights and Highlights kind of prove to me that I actually really, really like the album's sonic direction - production wise I'm feeling this might be my favorite Kanye album since Graduation. This is something Myke C Town talked about in the Dead End Hip Hop review of the album but the actual production here is good enough that I can wholly overlook some of Kanye's weaker lines. Honestly it's... kind of a beautiful record when looking at all things.

It's weird - in spite of songs like Facts, Famous and Freestyle 4 being some of Kanye's most aggressive songs put out in terms of lyrical content, something about the entire album feels... I don't know, reserved? Unlike Yeezus and MBDTF which always had a sort of laser pointed aggression I'm not feeling the same here. Much of the themes here feels more lamenting in a way, much the same way even though he's talked down a lot of people on Twitter and in public, he often ends up talking down himself. Even though, again, I feel like Kanye's lyrics have mostly been slipping for many years now, it feels like they're somewhat more integrated musically hence why the occasional bad stuff really stands out this time around, but everything else I don't really mind. Half of the time the lyrics don't feel very "important" in this album, other than texture.

FML to Real Friends is my favorite transition in this album. Wolves... I kind of don't care for? I don't know how much better the original version is but the lyrics would have to pick up some immense amount of slack to make up for how I feel the song is a bit more on the boring side. That said, this trio of songs work well for the closer. It's here I'm kind of starting to realize that a lot smaller moments on this song remind me a bit of Radiohead during the Kid A / Amnesiac era.

It veers a bit off after that I think. 30 Hours I want to say I still love but the second half is pretty much the only time I feel like something on this album doesn't have the deliberate effect Ye hoped to achieve, and is a bit of wasted potential. I like the harmony that Andre 3000 adds to the title drops but he really should have had a verse in this. No More Parties In LA is great but I'm not sure how I feel about it in the context of the album. The way it's placed doesn't do it many favors. Facts is... better than the original version but I still don't care for it.

Fade, I love that song, and easily washes out the slightly sour taste in my mouth after Facts. Weird to see that it's gotten a bit of hate from reviewers I usually trust. I want to say that the song "fits" as a closer but some part of me feels like this song should have been put in the bank and maybe been appended to Turbo Grafx 16 instead. As it exists now it closes out the second "half" of the album in a good way but it could have been a lot better in some contexts. The reason I say that is because as much as I'm tempted to say "just make it the closer instead of Wolves", I don't really think that works because the aforementioned trio of FML > Real Friends > Wolves works perfectly in terms of transition, Real Friends in particular is a perfect penultimate moment.

Only the second back-end "epilogue" of the album feels a bit more wishy-washy and thankfully Kanye seems to have structured it to be considered more of a bonus side than anything. It's a bit of a shame that I think a few of the songs on there have some real promise enough that they would fit fantastically in a bit more of a deliberate structured album.

But really, huh. What an interesting thing Kanye's put out with. It's completely scatterbrained on paper but... I can't deny that it seems incredibly deliberate in how it's produced. From one concept almost straight to another, a subdued collage. In terms of structure it's probably the most "Kanye" album that he's put out to date and in those terms I think this is going to become a lot of people's favorite album he's put out.

This is one of those albums I don't think I'd ever defend. Referring back to the DEHH review again, it's like the moment where they mention how there's certain fantastic albums that you're just going to defend due to the circumstances surrounding them and the way they're made. This is a great album that, if you say "you don't like it", I'm not going to argue that, because it is a complete mess. It's more challenging than Yeezus is. But in a way I like that about it.

Looking back at that gorgeous fan cover that's been posted multiple times (the nsfw one), I glossed over that cover several times while listening to the album, sort of making it the "cover" in my head, and I feel like that almost elevated it all for me a bit? It contextualizes the album in such a better way and represents what this album is - an incomprehensible miasma of horrific beauty that you can both feel repulsed by and appreciate for the contradictory nature of it all. It represents Kanye as much as it represents the entire social equilibrium of us just taking in all the news and media that has dropped. This is the mess that is Kanye's life, warts and all. It's both destructive and a marvel, and whether that's a good result is entirely up to the listener.

MThanded

I always find it weird when you see dudes in the studio in big cities munching on junk like Mickey Ds.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy it from time to time but you'd think with all that money and shit they could get someone to whip them up or grab something better....and healthier lol.

Could just be Mike Dean leftovers tho.

Presented by McDonalds

Follow the money fam.

Top Bottom