• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West - The Life of Pablo |OT2| I miss the OT1 Kanye.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
PSY・S;200443552 said:
this is awful

edit: beyond awful
Yeah I thought it was a cool concept but.. shit sounds like literally the cutting room floor of sounds.

Still a cool concept, but pretty unlistenable.

Hip Hop

If it wasn't for the weird lyrics and flow, I would have enjoyed the track a bit more. It just sounds too forced.

Kanye needs new ghostwriters.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I really just want a definitive "it's done" on this thing. It's reached the point of frustration.

Also, is it only Tidal versions that are getting updated or do all versions, including the kanyewest.com and iTunes versions get updated and you can redownload?

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Kanye's line

"Real families stick together" really throws me off. Sounds like he's about to choke on some food
First time I heard it I thought it was Ty Dolla Sign, doesn't sound like Kanye, not sure if it still needs to be edited or what

watershed

Banned
Is there any kind of consensus about TLOP? Having listened to it a few times all the way through a few times now, I think it's his worst album in a long while not counting 808s and Heartbreaks and Watch the Throne which I still haven't listened to. This is definitely not up there with Yeezus, MBDTF, or Graduation. So many tracks just feel too light or go nowhere.

XBP

Is there any kind of consensus about TLOP? Having listened to it a few times all the way through a few times now, I think it's his worst album in a long while not counting 808s and Heartbreaks and Watch the Throne which I still haven't listened to. This is definitely not up there with Yeezus, MBDTF, or Graduation. So many tracks just feel too light or go nowhere.

What? The album is amazing. Cannot stop listening to it. Oh and I NEED a 808s 2 ASAP.

watershed

Banned
I think there are 3 or 4 tracks I really dig but the rest are not so interesting. That's a pretty good album to me but not an instant classic or all time great.or career highlight type album to me.

Bacon

Seems like most people think of it as one of his weaker efforts yeah

Kaizer

Banned
Has anyone heard this? https://toyomu.bandcamp.com/album/iii-imagining-the-life-of-pablo

This guy lives in Japan, where Tidal apparently isn't available. So instead of pirating the album, he looked up every sample and the lyrics of every song and made his own versions before hearing the vast majority of the album. All the lyrics are done using a text to speech program like Microsoft Sam. It's really weird but it's an awesome supplementary album to TLOP.

His versions of Low Lights, I Love Kanye, FML, Silver Surfer, and No More Parties in LA are incredibly good. The only songs it feels like he heard prior is No More Parties in LA because it follows the structure pretty closely, and Facts because it samples it.

Fade sounds like something that would be included on one of those EPs for Fade as a single that has like 7 different remixes. Diggin' it!

Ashhong

I think there are 3 or 4 tracks I really dig but the rest are not so interesting. That's a pretty good album to me but not an instant classic or all time great.or career highlight type album to me.

It's not an instant classic like College Dropout or MBDTF but it's a great album imo.

And you haven't listened to 808s? Go listen now.

Angel_DvA

What is happening with Apple music ? many tracks aren't available since yesterday for this album...

43b685452e7cf0f63428b4ad0f2099fb.jpg

Floridian

http://hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=300588

Kanye West is officially the first artist to have an album go #1 with a number based entirely on streaming from the major outlets. There were some paid album downloads for The Life of Pablo from the G.O.O.D/Def Jam star’s own website, but the overwhelming majority of the 90k+ earned came from streaming services, including Apple Music, Spotify and Tidal.

Yeezy won as usual.

Izuna

Banned
I have been listening to this album for a while now and decided to use a mix of old and new versions of songs. I put the songs in the original WAVES track order: this is how I prefer to listen to album and makes it very easy to repeat with skipping any songs (burn in hell Low lights).

Ca5SQ0eUMAAiAkq.jpg

Versions:

Ultralight Beam - Latest Version
There is no reason not to listen to the latest version. There is however MORE clipping at the end of of latest version. I wondered if it was just Groove's version that had this problem, but sadly even after I bought the lossless version, it is still there. God damnit Kanye.

Father Stretch My Hands Pt. 1 - Latest Version
|Barely any different, but better.

Pt.2 - Latest Version
Same as above.

Freestyle 4 - Latest Version
A throwaway track with some good highs. Honestly it's hardly any different. I don't really care, and neither do you.

Famous - First Release
The update ruined the transition imo. The line "she in school to be a real estate agent" may sound fine, but it isn't important. Will be sticking to the old version here for sure.

Highlights - Latest Version
Love this song so much. Not much has changed here either. This song goes-

Feedback - First Release
Wtf Kanye? This was my favourite song and you fkd around with it? New version is such trash.

Fade - First Release
That end part of the original? It's all over this track now. Does that stop the end from being as special as it was? Ehhhhhhhh. Okay so I prefer the old version because when that end hits, it hits soooo hard. My biggest issue with the update is the "I can feel it" being cut up so much. It constantly ends abruptly and is unpredictable. I tried getting used to it but I can't say I prefer the update.

It's a great song either way.

car-dance.gif

FML - Latest Version
A bit worse, but I could get used to this.

Real Friends - Latest Version
No difference.
This was the ONLY song I used to go under the loudest volume for, because some tinnitus kicks in with that high pitched BS (in my right ear). For some reason this update doesn't do it. Yay.

Wolves - Latest Version
Low key, might be my new favourite track on this album now.
jWGod2I.png

He didn't just fix this song, he fucking perfected it.

Frank's Track
Still sounds like it was made in a water closet, but I like it. It is a brilliant album ender.

--

So yeah, outside of Feedback there aren't many songs to complain about. But that is a big thing worth complaining about. I was happy when the album finally popped up on Groove though -- but I bought the album for two reasons:

1. I wanted to pirate the old version in lossless, and it's better to buy the album then to have Ye lose stream counts on my fav songs
2. For some reason, the Groove release was quieter, especially Highlights. I thought buying it would fix that... Turns out it is just mixed that way. *This might be why Real Friends doesn't offend my ear so much anymore.

Jerry+Listening+to+Music.gif

--

How I arrange the songs: I named all of the old versions [Ver.1] at the end of their title tags and make it disc two of the same album. This way they end up at the end with the same track numbers. This way I can listen to the release order of either very easily. One problem is that the songs are mastered a little differently at the end, so if you make a [Ver.1] song transition to a new one, sometimes the gap is longer than it should be. This happens twice in my playlist, but I would rather keep the GOAT Feedback then less silence between songs.

£20 for a damn album tho...

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I have been listening to this album for a while now and decided to use a mix of old and new versions of songs. I put the songs in the original WAVES track order: this is how I prefer to listen to album and makes it very easy to repeat with skipping any songs (burn in hell Low lights).

Ca5SQ0eUMAAiAkq.jpg

Versions:

Ultralight Beam - Latest Version

Father Stretch My Hands Pt. 1 - Latest Version

Pt.2 - Latest Version

Freestyle 4 - Latest Version

Famous - First Release

Highlights - Latest Version

Feedback - First Release

Fade - First Release

It's a great song either way.

car-dance.gif

FML - Latest Version

Real Friends - Latest Version

Wolves - Latest Version

Frank's Track

--

So yeah, outside of Feedback there aren't many songs to complain about. But that is a big thing worth complaining about. I was happy when the album finally popped up on Groove though -- but I bought the album for two reasons:

1. I wanted to pirate the old version in lossless, and it's better to buy the album then to have Ye lose stream counts on my fav songs
2. For some reason, the Groove release was quieter, especially Highlights. I thought buying it would fix that... Turns out it is just mixed that way. *This might be why Real Friends doesn't offend my ear so much anymore.

--

How I arrange the songs: I named all of the old versions [Ver.1] at the end of their title tags and make it disc two of the same album. This way they end up at the end with the same track numbers. This way I can listen to the release order of either very easily. One problem is that the songs are mastered a little differently at the end, so if you make a [Ver.1] song transition to a new one, sometimes the gap is longer than it should be. This happens twice in my playlist, but I would rather keep the GOAT Feedback then less silence between songs.

£20 for a damn album tho...

Have you listened to the real OG Highlights with Young Thug, the one from before the actual first Tidal release? You can tell its still unfinished, but I think its my favorite version. It's got way more funk and feel to it.

~I love social media, I love fitness, and I love photography ~

Izuna

Banned
Have you listened to the real OG Highlights with Young Thug, the one from before the actual first Tidal release? You can tell its still unfinished, but I think its my favorite version. It's got way more funk and feel to it.

~I love social media, I love fitness, and I love photography ~

I have. I like it but I first heard it after one 100 listens of the tidal release lol.

Oh I didn't mention, Facts is amazing!

Twookie

popped up on spotify too

noticed it when ultra light beam was different, deffo wasn't like that yesterday

so it was probably uploaded today/yesterday

edit: why did he change fade... it was so good

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
They probably are the same. People keep forgetting that these services can cache songs.

Yeah, it must have played cached versions on Tidal while the Spotify version was the new.

I prefer the old version. It was my favorite track, new version is so all over the place, don't like the sia part, don't like the crunching sound added, don't like the new mix.... it's all over the place.

Floridian

http://www.billboard.com/articles/c...life-of-pablo-debuts-at-no-1-on-billboard-200

Kanye West scores his seventh No. 1 album on the Billboard 200 chart, as his latest release, The Life of Pablo, arrives atop the list. The set earning 94,000 equivalent album units in the week ending April 7, according to Nielsen Music. Of that sum, 28,000 were in pure album sales -- the rest were in streaming equivalent albums.

The Billboard 200 chart ranks the most popular albums of the week in the U.S. based on multi-metric consumption, which includes traditional album sales, track equivalent albums (TEA) and streaming equivalent albums (SEA). The new April 23-dated chart (where The Life of Pablo is No. 1) will be posted in full to Billboard’s websites on Tuesday, April 12.

The Life of Pablo is the first No. 1 on the Billboard 200 where the majority (70 percent, in fact) of its units were generated by streaming equivalent albums (SEA). Its 66,000 SEA units equates to just over 99 million U.S. streams for the album’s tracks in the week ending April 7.

Top Bottom