• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Katawa Shoujo |OT| (VN, Free, Waifus, etc)

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Too crispy.

I can't say no to this

katawa-shoujo_28.png

Hnnnnnng!

Moonlight

Banned
I still haven't done any of the bad endings and it's been eight months since I've played this game.

It's hard to do the wrong thing.

I still haven't been able to continue KS beyond Lilly and Hanako's route (well, I've started Emi's but I'm like right at the beginning) due to homework. Lilly has had such an effect on me I'm afraid the other routes might not make me feel anything special. I'd like to replay Lilly's route ASAP but I'm still gonna play the other ones first.

By the way, not only did I stop being obsessed about particular girls because of KS, but now for the first time in my life I'm not even interested in having a girlfriend anymore. I used to be desperate for attention and to see every single decent-looking girl as a potential partner (in other words: needy) but I just don't give a damn anymore. It's like none of them will be as nice to me as Lilly was so there's no point trying and playing the seduction game (to which I suck anyway). Is that normal or even good?

By the way, not only did I stop being obsessed about particular girls because of KS, but now for the first time in my life I'm not even interested in having a girlfriend anymore. I used to be desperate for attention and to see every single decent-looking girl as a potential partner (in other words: needy) but I just don't give a damn anymore. It's like none of them will be as nice to me as Lilly was so there's no point trying and playing the seduction game (to which I suck anyway). Is that normal or even good?

If it was a permanent state I'd say it sounds unhealthy (way too early to know that). Though it might actually enhance your chances to get a girlfriend if you don't come across as "needy" (not that I'd have any first-hand experience with that..).

Mew2

Neo Member
I've only played through Hanako's story and man I am partial to brunettes anyway....I really have to go back and play through this game!

Man when they shared scars with each other...maan what a touching moment!

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I've only played through Hanako's story and man I am partial to brunettes anyway....I really have to go back and play through this game!

Man when they shared scars with each other...maan what a touching moment!

*high five* I agree. :3

SerRodrik

Shizune was the best girl stuck in the worst route.

That leaked pre-alpha route, though. That shit was intense.

That's sort of my thoughts on the matter. There are things I like about the route, but it can be immensely frustrating at times.

I still haven't played through the leaked route yet, but I've been meaning to soon.

upandaway

Just finished everything, it was amazing and I love it. Not much to elaborate on though. ANYWAY

Maybe it was only because I did Rin's route last that I noticed this... but on the title screen, after finishing all the routes, it forms this uh, circle.
It you moved Rin's act 4 picture one notch to the right, it would have formed a heart. Which is really what I expected would happen all along ever since I finished a second route.. and it was a dang circle.

This is really bugging me. Why did they waste this perfect chance? It would have been the best title screen.

Woorloog

Banned
Interesting game. No, reading. It is more like a book than a game, so: reading.
I don't usually playing anything other than some WRPGs, shooters and strategy games. Nice change to the usual.

Despite being avid reader (like Hisao, heh), i rarely get this immersed, i feel optimistic, good, reading this, like how the story's tone is optimistic. Of course the books i normally read are not this optimistic... it is surprising how dark most fantasy and sciece fiction books are. Going off topic...

Beatiful music. Worth playing, uh, reading just for the music.

I... i guess i should tell what i think of this later on. Still on act 1, i think.

EDIT very... escapisist (is that a proper word?) even. At least for me. I think.

Jintor

Just finished everything, it was amazing and I love it. Not much to elaborate on though. ANYWAY

Maybe it was only because I did Rin's route last that I noticed this... but on the title screen, after finishing all the routes, it forms this uh, circle.
It you moved Rin's act 4 picture one notch to the right, it would have formed a heart. Which is really what I expected would happen all along ever since I finished a second route.. and it was a dang circle.

This is really bugging me. Why did they waste this perfect chance? It would have been the best title screen.

I guess you'll have to wait until someone makes Katawa Showdown

I'm in Act 3 of Emi's route. It's sweet and all, but it doesn't make me feel anything. At least it didn't frustrate me like Hanako's did. This route just feels plain - and I think it has too much profanity. By the way, Rin is getting on my nerves and I haven't even played her route yet. I don't see why she's so popular.

Nobody told you? o_o orz
I've told her many times before. Many times.

I never thought of that, but maybe that's because of the routes I wen through first didn't really make it look like anything.
Interesting game. No, reading. It is more like a book than a game, so: reading.
I don't usually playing anything other than some WRPGs, shooters and strategy games. Nice change to the usual.

Despite being avid reader (like Hisao, heh), i rarely get this immersed, i feel optimistic, good, reading this, like how the story's tone is optimistic. Of course the books i normally read are not this optimistic... it is surprising how dark most fantasy and sciece fiction books are. Going off topic...

Beatiful music. Worth playing, uh, reading just for the music.

I... i guess i should tell what i think of this later on. Still on act 1, i think.

EDIT very... escapisist (is that a proper word?) even. At least for me. I think.
Yeah, I was pretty hooked on it early on, but the real bulk of it is in the later acts. And you will know when it gets to the second act, as there's an animation that plays in between them.

Soma

The author for Shizune's route originally had another story lined up but it was suddenly changed to what we see in the full game. Shizune acts a lot more romantic and flirtatious while the story is dramatically different and a bit darker than the full version. There's a unfinished alpha version of the game floating around (Hanako's bad ends in the alpha are pretty fucked up from what I've read too).
I'm in Act 3 of Emi's route. It's sweet and all, but it doesn't make me feel anything. At least it didn't frustrate me like Hanako's did. This route just feels plain - and I think it has too much profanity. By the way, Rin is getting on my nerves and I haven't even played her route yet. I don't see why she's so popular.

I think you'll have to play Rin's route for you to see. She wasn't my favorite character before (well she still isn't) but her route is quite the roller coaster so to speak.

Woorloog

Banned
Yeah, I was pretty hooked on it early on, but the real bulk of it is in the later acts. And you will know when it gets to the second act, as there's an animation that plays in between them.

Indeed. Like 'em. I like the style and... stuff. I usually don't like Japanese styling, or anything trying to ressemble that. But i reckon there are always exceptions. Which isn't a bad thing... makes one more receptive to other similar things.

Been... reading pretty much non-stop for some 4.5h. To be honest, i'm a sucker for this kinda stuff. I don't think anyone could even guess i might like this... look at my avatar, it does give a good idea what i like. Sort of, anyway.

Eh, back to reading. Lilly's route.

EDIT did i say this game (err, visual novel, whatever) makes me feel good? Now, if only i could hold on this good, happy mood...

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Just finished a route, Emi's, and got what I am assume her best ending
(waking up in the bed with her on the MC's side.)
Not using any guide whatsoever so I have no idea how the game picked that route for me in chapter two, and to be honest I want to get Hanako/Lilly first but eh, I said why not.

The story was surprisingly gripping. Lots and lots of feels here o_O

Anyways, there's no way to immediately jump to a section of the game and continue playing huh? I tried the library stuff but it cut off and throw me back at the main menu when a section is finished replaying.

Oh well...............

Woorloog

Banned
Uh huh. About 5:30AM... Played the darn game 7 hours straight. Read it. Whatever.
Lilly's route.
I'm a sucker for romantic stuff.
It was pretty good.

More tomorrow, if i have time.

Still find it odd i like this, despite this being pretty much the opposite of my normal gaming/reading tastes.

upandaway

I think you'll have to play Rin's route for you to see. She wasn't my favorite character before (well she still isn't) but her route is quite the roller coaster so to speak.
In my mind Rin's route is KS. The other routes are great too (especially Lily and Hanako) but Rin's is just crazy.

I may have brushed it aside with "it's amazing" but it really hit me hard, I was lost

Just finished a route, Emi's, and got what I am assume her best ending
(waking up in the bed with her on the MC's side.)
Not using any guide whatsoever so I have no idea how the game picked that route for me in chapter two, and to be honest I want to get Hanako/Lilly first but eh, I said why not.

The story was surprisingly gripping. Lots and lots of feels here o_O

Anyways, there's no way to immediately jump to a section of the game and continue playing huh? I tried the library stuff but it cut off and throw me back at the main menu when a section is finished replaying.

Oh well...............
Yeah that's the good ending. None of the other endings end in ANY sort of "good" way (in any route), so you'll know if you got the good ending or not. Don't use guides!

There's no need to jump to any section of the game because the game picks the route based on act 1 only. Go to act 1, skip through everything you already read, make choices and get a different route. There's barely anything to skip anyway.

Rin is the epitome of obfuscation. You ain't seen nothing yet. I don't know whether you'll like it, but I feel it was far and away the most well written and emotionally impacting route.

I'm further on in Emi's route and the story is getting a little sad, which I actually like. It's not much but I'm finally starting to feel... stuff.

Top Bottom