• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Katawa Shoujo |OT| (VN, Free, Waifus, etc)

vall03

I can't believe I played this.

I can't believe this is my GOTY so far.

same for me, and I doubt Im going to call any of the games Im anticipating on Feb and Mar GOTY either, oh well, I just want the later half of the year to wow me since theres really not much for me during the first half...

also, I want to go home so bad, school is seriously getting kinda depressing lately, I want to finish Shizunes good ending!

Jintor

Tumblr coincidences are amazing

tumblr_lxxfqgMSC91qbkr3ao1_500.png

Finished with Emi, Hanako and Lilly. I really like all of them, they are different girls with their particular problems but I enjoy all their stories (Lilly FTW). GOTY

Just finished Emi (my first route).
I'm pretty pleased with it. If this is the weakest of the bunch, as seems to be in most people's lists, then I look forward to what the others have to offer. I'm going to intentionally try to avoid doing Lilly's path until last, since it seems to be the crowd favorite.

Went back real fast and got the "bad ending" as well.
However, I'm still missing the first two parts in the list after Act 4. Can anyone point me to the spot I need to start from to see them?
Also, this is the perfect song for Emi's route. Or maybe it's just because I've been listening to it lately, and any similarities are just my own delusions becoming grander and grander. Baaaaby!

The only thing I really didn't like in Emi's route was the
rather awkwardly timed shed love time session.
Maybe it's just me, but I took a break for a day after that. I know it's an eroge game by nature, but those parts was definitely my least favorite part of the package. I'm debating turning the content off, but my completionist side would drive me crazy with not having all pictures and sections in the library/gallery. I'm weak. : (

I'll see if I can't get Hanako on this next run. I still don't know how I ended up with the loud, energetic girl when I was originally going to go for the quiet, timid one, hahaha.

WORST PART OF THIS GAME WAS
no closure with the Kenji/Yuuko thing. I'm crossing my fingers it gets wrapped up in another route, though. IT HAD BETTER. Don't tell me if it does. I want to be surprised when it happens. If it does. : P

The only thing I really didn't like in Emi's route was the
rather awkwardly timed shed love time session.
Maybe it's just me, but I took a break for a day after that. I know it's an eroge game by nature, but those parts was definitely my least favorite part of the package.

I guess I didn't have too much issue with stuff like that because back in high school I totally did stupid shit like that sometimes. v_v Not exactly the same of course but close enough. Haha.

It probably wouldn't have bothered me as much if not for
her just getting into the wheelchair and the fact it came about so suddenly after they started getting more "serious." Plus the whole "oh look, a tube of lubricant conveniently left here!"
I dunno, just felt awkwardly timed. Like I said, I get it's an eroge game, but that just felt really poorly placed in comparison to how anything else in the route went.

Jintor

Went back real fast and got the "bad ending" as well.
However, I'm still missing the first two parts in the list after Act 4. Can anyone point me to the spot I need to start from to see them?

Listen to Mutou when he asks to talk to you after class, and then
stay with Emi's mum when you visit her house
... or ignore Mutou and
chase after Emi when she storms off and tell Misha about it later
, it's one of those two. Either way gets you to the good end, but the scene is different.

Listen to Mutou when he asks to talk to you after class, and then
stay with Emi's mum when you visit her house
... or ignore Mutou and
chase after Emi when she storms off and tell Misha about it later
, it's one of those two. Either way gets you to the good end, but the scene is different.
Thanka thank!

I would check through the thread, as I'm sure it's been asked before, but I just want to avoid temptation of clicking spoilers. I do that sometimes without thinking, haha.

It probably wouldn't have bothered me as much if not for
her just getting into the wheelchair and the fact it came about so suddenly after they started getting more "serious." Plus the whole "oh look, a tube of lubricant conveniently left here!"
I dunno, just felt awkwardly timed. Like I said, I get it's an eroge game, but that just felt really poorly placed in comparison to how anything else in the route went.

I think that the second thing was because
her team captain left it there and used that shed often for his own sexual exploits... and he told Emi about it too, so

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
"It's not like water, it's a liquid. Water isn't food. Liquid can be food."

I get the impression that whoever wrote Shizune's route just didn't give a shit.

edit:
Shizune looks adorable in yukata though

edit2:
Bush Cheney 2004
lol Misha

Whelp, finished Rin's route. I don't know, still kind of eh on the whole thing. I mean it's better than Emi's route, but all it's done is elevate my opinion of the game from "boring" to "eh". I can definitely appreciate the themes, but it didn't really go in a direction I wanted it to go in. I was actually hopeful for it and oddly enough liked acts 1 and 2 with her more than the latter half. I felt at least a small connection to Rin based on her dialogue and actions, but that disappeared in act 3 and on.

I guess I can conclude, the game isn't for me and I won't get any feels out of it. Might actually be a good thing since when I get feels, I get them hard. Couldn't concentrate on anything for like 2 weeks after finishing Wanko to Kurasou. Oh well. Think I'm done with this and will just youtube the bad endings and Kenji scenes that appear in the other routes.

Well, got the bad ending from Act I. Reminds me to never drink on top of a roof top.

I decided to do Hanako's path after much debate with myself. I told myself I would stop playing this game an hour ago, but I failed to do that and kept on trucking. On chapter 3, and I simply adore Hanako's character. I'll probably finish her path tomorrow evening. I might actually do Lilly's path afterwards, her character is becoming more intriguing since doing Hanako's path.

Hanako bad end.
oh god i'm dying. all you fuckers want to feed on the greif omg here. here is my heart. on the floor. arghle larghle

And now to check out Lily's bad end.

I don't enjoy lopson's posts for what they say about things and stuff. :| Like use a spoiler tag maybe? Oh well.

vall03

Finally finished the game and I seriously didn't even expect this game to suddenly come out so early in the year and I really liked it!

So for me its Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Emi > Shizune

I want more Hanako!

Lol rankings. probably doesn't deserve a spoiler but since I'm whining about other posts I might as well spoil tag my own.

( Hanako = Rin = Emi ) > Lili

?Shizune? As I haven't played hers yet.

(Lol wait you mean storywise, not who you like the most? If I went into categories and ranked them in different ways, they'd all have their strengths. But then I feel it gives away spoilers, so I will say overall I rank them Lily>Emi>Hanako>Rin but they're practially all equal. Again, haven't played Shizune's yet)

Jintor

Found myself replaying Emi's route somehow after finishing up Shizune's bad end (
which wasn't quite as hard-hitting in delivery as I thought it would be, though the implications are horrifying
). God damn, she is adorable.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So far, I'm finding Lilly's path pretty underwhelming. Which is interesting, since she was the one that I was originally shooting for in my first playthrough.

I don't know if it's because I just finished Hanako's
and it feels like we're slowly killing her chances to have a normal life
or because Emi was my first story arc I fell into and that instantly clicked.

I now understand where the comments about Hisao being "whiny" came from. In Lilly's path, I just reached
the summerhouse and it seems like every other sentence out of his mouth is complaining about something silly. What's worse is that Lilly confesses to Hisao after this... it just seemed awkward, as though there should have been more buildup to the emotional breakdown. There were definitely some precious moments along the way, but the entire summer house so far feels like a lost opportunity for me.
I'll stick it out, obviously, but since so many people seem to have Lilly listed as their favorite, I'm kind of disappointed so far.

As for Hanako's
, it felt incomplete. I think that's maybe what they were going for, but I still feel like there could have been an entire new chapter after the ending. There wasn't any closure, and it didn't feel like it was necessary to close the curtains at that point in their story. It was an important turning point that I would have liked to see play out a little further. I otherwise liked her story. In fact, I guess it speaks volumes that my major issue with Hanako is simply that I wanted more of her.

Despite these issues, I still really love the way things are progressing. I don't mean to sound overly negative, but I think Emi set the bar pretty high for me.

my boss's-boss's boss found my catawa shoujo desktop on my work machine to be creepy. :( back to generic desktop

No matter how I much I love this game, I know not to make it a wallpaper on my Mac...I might do that on my PC though, and give my Macbook my Alice wallpaper.

Also, I just got onto Act IV, I'm going to finish this fucker tonight. So much love for Hanako, let's go good ending!

ultron87

Finished up Act 1 for the first time. Accidentally ended up on Emi's route.

Instantly reloaded (after saving for later use) and got on Rin's route, as it should be.

Hanako's route was the winner for me, but that was doubtlessly influenced by the fact that she stops my heart every time she goddamn smiles. Other than hers, Rin's stood out for the consistently excellent writing and the themes it explored.

Misha with a
haircut
looks so fucking cute it hurts.
Glad someone else gets it.
Never understood the love for her drills.

Venfayth

I found Rin pretty annoying; I don't get the love for her.

Her route dealt with a lot of complicated issues the other stories didn't hit as much.

But as a character I didn't find her that appealing. Her spaceyness - while extremely funny / entertaining in other routes - just puts me off a bit.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Bah, can't find any bad ends on youtube other than the first one. Someone spoil them for me.

If I can recall them from memory.

Hanako -
Calls Hisao out for being a condescending white knight jerkface, shit gets real.

Lily -
She leaves for Scotland and Hisao doesn't try to stop her

Rin -
Hisao gets sick of her spacyness and says that trying to form a relationship with her is a waste of time.

Shizune -
If you sleep with Misha you basically fuck up all your friendships. Shizune realizes that she's a complete bitch and doesn't want to deal with people anymore.

Emi -
Breaks up with Hisao because he won't stop trying to figure out her past.

Not very descriptive but it's what I can recall from memory.

Finished up Act 1 for the first time. Accidentally ended up on Emi's route.

Instantly reloaded (after saving for later use) and got on Rin's route, as it should be.

Traitor! Should've gone for Lily >:|

my boss's-boss's boss found my catawa shoujo desktop on my work machine to be creepy. :( back to generic desktop

Anime wallpapers in general are more trouble than they're worth.

Hanako -
Calls Hisao out for being a condescending white knight jerkface, shit gets real.

Lily -
She leaves for Scotland and Hisao doesn't try to stop her

Rin -
Hisao gets sick of her spacyness and says that trying to form a relationship with her is a waste of time.

Shizune -
If you sleep with Misha you basically fuck up all your friendships. Shizune realizes that she's a complete bitch and doesn't want to deal with people anymore.

Emi -
Breaks up with Hisao because he won't stop trying to figure out her past.

Not very descriptive but it's what I can recall from memory.

Thanks.

I actually went on tvtropes and it said in Rin's bad end,
it implies she commits suicide.
Had to go back and get it to see if that was true, and it definitely wasn't (unless I'm not seeing something). Fuckin tvtropes :/

Jintor

Anime wallpapers in general are more trouble than they're worth.

Background art generally escapes unscathed if you want to be sneaky about it. I had a MLP background for ages without anybody noticing because to everybody else it was just a cool drawing of a floating city

Hanako and Rin both have neutral marginally less bad ends as well. Also going from memory here:

Hanako -
Doesn't call Hisao out for being a condescending white knight jerkface and just accepts that he's always going to treat her as someone who needs protecting. In some ways this is more soul crushing than the bad ending.

Rin -
Gets a scholarship for an art school and disappears from Hisao's life.

Seronei

Thanks.

Had to go back and get it to see if that was true, and it definitely wasn't (unless I'm not seeing something). Fuckin tvtropes :/

It's kind of implied in the neutral ending, but even then one of the developers said that Rin wouldn't take suicide so I don't think it was intentional for it to hint at that.

After doing Emi, Lilly, and Hanako's routes (with Lilly's being my favorite -- I kind of wish I'd ended with it, but at least I've still got Rin, who I've heard several of you say is a good game-ending route), I'm thinking of skipping Shizune's and just doing Rin's. I simply haven't heard anything good about Shizune's route and I don't really like her character much to begin with. Is there anything redeeming about going through her route besides completion?

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Thanks.

There was a dialog option with the art teacher that
revealed that he and the gallery curator lady had friend back in their college days with a very similar perceived outlook on art as Rin, a totally brilliant artist. His fate was that he killed himself. By rule of drama and narrative mirroring, it does indeed imply that Rin might eventually commit suicide should she push her art too much.

I finished Lilly's route, and I gotta say, I was underwhelmed despite all of the endorsement's I've seen from /v/ and elsewhere.

What VN games would you say are most like Snatcher and Policenauts? I always considered them adventure games, not VN. The only VN game I played was Saya No Uta, and while it was entertaining in it's own sick way, there wasn't really any gameplay at all. Snatcher and Policenauts are two of my all time favorite games however, and if any VN comes anywhere close to that I sort of experience then want to play them.

Edit: Woops, meant to post this in The English translated VN thread.

Lopson

Neo Member
After doing Emi, Lilly, and Hanako's routes (with Lilly's being my favorite -- I kind of wish I'd ended with it, but at least I've still got Rin, who I've heard several of you say is a good game-ending route), I'm thinking of skipping Shizune's and just doing Rin's. I simply haven't heard anything good about Shizune's route and I don't really like her character much to begin with. Is there anything redeeming about going through her route besides completion?

Forget Shizune, not worth the trouble, IMO. Nothing happens for two entire chapters, and even though the last one tries its best to make up for the other two, it's just not good enough.

Fox318

It's the majority opinion

Ok good.

It's such a shame too because Shizune could have been great.

Lilly, Hanako, and Emi's paths are fantastic though.

I feel like getting into Visual novels again(though most don't have this quality). I think the last one I played was Girlfriend of Steel 2.

Ok good.

It's such a shame too because Shizune could have been great.

Lilly, Hanako, and Emi's paths are fantastic though.

I feel like getting into Visual novels again(though most don't have this quality). I think the last one I played was Girlfriend of Steel 2.

Play 999. Fantastic VN, if you have a DS. I will probably be finishing it afterward I get done with Hanako's story (and maybe Lilly and Emi).

Top Bottom