• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Katawa Shoujo |OT| (VN, Free, Waifus, etc)

Soma

Man, Hanako has so much more fanart than Lily, makes it hard to find avatar material for her :(

Yeah it's slim-pickings for Lilly fanart. Here's a few I did for her in case anyone wants one.

DG5EG.png
TCQiw.png
75A0n.png
hnK29.png
RcdYX.png

Jintor

I just got review code for Digital: A Hate Story, and I find it amusing that the developer Christine Love was sure to mention that the artist Raide worked on Katawa Shoujo.

I'd love to get a dream VN roundtable going. I'd talk to 4LS, Christine Love, Shu Takumi, and... fuck, I had a fourth candidate in mind. Who was that? Maybe it was the 999 dude, but I think it was of another Western indie doujin VN developer. Can't recall who though...

I just got review code for Digital: A Hate Story, and I find it amusing that the developer Christine Love was sure to mention that the artist Raide worked on Katawa Shoujo.

I'd love to get a dream VN roundtable going. I'd talk to 4LS, Christine Love, Shu Takumi, and... fuck, I had a fourth candidate in mind. Who was that? Maybe it was the 999 dude, but I think it was of another Western indie doujin VN developer. Can't recall who though...

Get Gen Urobuchi.

I would fucking hate it. I like the dude and his work, but the feels aren't compatible.

:lol, you're absolutely right. I'm just saying what I personally would find more enjoyable. I'm not even a fan of KS. Only reason I'm still in this thread is because I'm glad it's giving the genre exposure and that people are enjoying it.

Chunky

So, right now I've finished Emi and Hanako's routes
Hanako's was the one I ended up on first, how could it not be
and it's been pretty great. The excellent music and the great writing exceeded any expectations I had of something coming out of 4chan and certainly of something I paid zero quid for.

I just wanted to ask if anyone else, when they read the Hanako chapter, didn't really like the author. Like, I enjoyed the scenario and how Hanako slowly opens up to you and everything, but the voice of the writer felt kind of snarky and put me off a bit. Anyone else get that?

Also, is there good route to do after Hanako and Emi? I heard Shizune's was a bit crap so maybe I should get that out of the way and not finish on a low note.

Venfayth

So, right now I've finished Emi and Hanako's routes
Hanako's was the one I ended up on first, how could it not be
and it's been pretty great. The excellent music and the great writing exceeded any expectations I had of something coming out of 4chan and certainly of something I paid zero quid for.

I just wanted to ask if anyone else, when they read the Hanako chapter, didn't really like the author. Like, I enjoyed the scenario and how Hanako slowly opens up to you and everything, but the voice of the writer felt kind of snarky and put me off a bit. Anyone else get that?

Also, is there good route to do after Hanako and Emi? I heard Shizune's was a bit crap so maybe I should get that out of the way and not finish on a low note.

Shizune is probably my favorite character in the game next to Lily, but she has the worst writing. Rin's route was very good, and Lily's route is fantastic. End with either of those for high-feels.

Chunky

Shizune is probably my favorite character in the game next to Lily, but she has the worst writing. Rin's route was very good, and Lily's route is fantastic. End with either of those for high-feels.

You seem to like Lily's, so I'll finish on hers last I think. Thanks :)

NeOak

No, i believe one other girl had one as well. Can't remember who though. i may be wrong though.

You probably mean the Epilogue to the original Hanako story, which is different to the one that was released in the game.

Lilly's route is the only one that has that.

You probably mean the Epilogue to the original Hanako story, which is different to the one that was released in the game.

Lilly's route is the only one that has that.

No, not that one. As it turns out, I was wrong. I thought Shizune had one,
since you see Hisao, Shizune,and Misha on the last day of school posing for a pic.

Venfayth

No, not that one. As it turns out, I was wrong. I thought Shizune had one,
since you see Hisao, Shizune,and Misha on the last day of school posing for a pic.

Yeah I kinda almost considered that one. It's just hard to tell with her route where the "end" would be.

McNum

I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but have you tried opening the menu while the "time passes" bandaged heart logo is there? That little jingle isn't a jingle at all. It's a full song. That seems a little wasteful. Kind of catchy, too. Is it used in any story scenes?

Completed Emi's route today. That didn't go quite the way I imagined, and it had a few genuine laughs along the way, and a kind of interesting twist on the hyperactive girl archetype. Didn't quite expect that. Also, after playing Lilly's story, I have to say that it was refreshing to see that in Emi's story
Hisao took his heart disease seriously. Not just brushing it off with "it's nothing" until getting another heart attack. Amusingly, Emi takes that role with her leg injury this time around. Funny to see the roles reversed.

PKrockin

I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but have you tried opening the menu while the "time passes" bandaged heart logo is there? That little jingle isn't a jingle at all. It's a full song. That seems a little wasteful. Kind of catchy, too. Is it used in any story scenes?

Oho ho ho nooo thank you. I hate that annoying little jingle. Just thinking about it... RRRRGHHH

i have issues

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Well, I just finished my third route (Rin) Bad, Good, and whatever the other one was. It was alright, not as good as Emi or Shizune.

I dunno, I guess maybe because I'm an artist myself (or at least fancy myself as such) I basically already knew what the issue with Rin was practically from the start, so it wasn't really especially moving or surprising to be honest. She's scared to change, she's scared no one understands her, but oddly instead of liking it more through being able to identify, I grew rather indifferent at times. I dunno, I guess I'm trying too hard to find things I like to say it was alright, because honestly the other two routes I took (Shizune and Emi) really left a strong impression. Those routes really moved me. This one was nicely written, but didn't provoke any sort of emotional response from me to be honest.

Jintor

'sall subjective bro. Find it a little weird it didn't move you, what with the art and all, because it hit like a goddamn truck.

Ara ara.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
'sall subjective bro. Find it a little weird it didn't move you, what with the art and all, because it hit like a goddamn truck.

Ara ara.

Yeah, I felt bad as I was nearing the end, as I know how highly regarded Rin's route is. I felt like a bad person for not being so incredibly moved. I mean, yeah, the reason behind her art is lovely and all, but I think that's all artists to some extent. The CGs in her route were mostly pretty lovely, I will give her route that. ^_^

I take it the game is predominantly about physically impaired girls
and doesn't deal with mental illnesses?

Pretty much. At least no named mental illnesses. Maybe a few implied ones, but it all ties in to the physical disabilities with the kind of drama you would expect from that for the most part.

Uchip

Banned
Pretty much. At least no named mental illnesses. Maybe a few implied ones, but it all ties in to the physical disabilities with the kind of drama you would expect from that for the most part.

unfortunate and unrealistic
but understandable since people tend to judge externally and it allows for colourful diversity in characters

XeroSauce

unfortunate and unrealistic
but understandable since people tend to judge externally and it allows for colourful diversity in characters

I wouldn't say that the game is completely devoid of mental issues. There are certain characters that have not-so-obvious mental disabilities, some that do, and while the physical impairments are the highlight, you learn about each character's quirks and anomalies as you play them.

EDIT: In fact, Hisao hits himself when he finds that he is judging his schoolmates by their physical disabilities.

Uchip

Banned
I wouldn't say that the game is completely devoid of mental issues. There are certain characters that have not-so-obvious mental disabilities, some that do, and while the physical impairments are the highlight, you learn about each character's quirks and anomalies as you play them.

EDIT: In fact, Hisao hits himself when he finds that he is judging his schoolmates by their physical disabilities.

I just get the feeling that it wont be relateable in the slightest and ill end up criticizing everything

Top Bottom