• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Katawa Shoujo |OT| (VN, Free, Waifus, etc)

MhHh0l.jpg

She has no idea...
That I've fucked all her friends
:(

If nothing else, Katawa Shoujo has the perfect storm of elements to make a whole lot of people who would have never touched VNs go 'Wait, what?' and pay more attention to it.

Wow at Lilly and Shizune
being first cousins. WTF

Also, does anyone know each character's respective theme?

I'm thinking it's:

Emi - Standing Tall
Rin - Parity
Hanako- Concord
Lilly - Ease
Shizune - ?
Kenji - Out of the Loop
Yuuko - Fripperies

Also, does anyone know each character's respective theme?

Emi - Standing Tall
Rin - Parity
Hanako- Painful Memories
Lilly - Concord
Shizune - The Student Council
Kenji - Out of the Loop
Yuuko - Fripperies

Pretty much this. I can't imagine Hanako with the Concord music instead of Lilly. Painful memories suits her far better.

It sounds like you didn't get the true ending for Rin. Might want to look up a guide though, considering how far you got with it.
I looked it up, and I got the good ending. I don't know, I guess I didn't really connect with Rin's story too much. Kinda funny...

I went through Hanako's and thought it was... Ok.

Then, as my last path choice of the VN, I went with Shizune. Oh man, I haven't laughed that much while reading since I read Good Omens. It also felt like a solid, "THE END" for KS, so I'm quite pleased to have read through it last.

I can't help but wish this VN was released before I started high school. It would of probably helped me out.

PS:
OPTIC BLAST!

Chunky

I looked it up, and I got the good ending. I don't know, I guess I didn't really connect with Rin's story too much. Kinda funny...

Oh man, I haven't laughed that much while reading since I read Good Omens.

*brofist*
Also somewhat related considering they're both written by multiple authors

Soma

Can't sleep. Got bored.

Help yourselves, guys.

Emi:
MtsMx.png
MAfM5.png
OY7Z5.png
ztQdi.png
ZBBX5.png

Rin:
MmJF3.png
hSFw6.png
CqYmq.png
FqvUM.png
upFtV.png

Shizune:
QoOVk.png
GapuF.png
nMMBs.png
a6KgM.png
tqHCg.png

Misha:
68NwH.png
niibU.png
0448F.png
Np96Y.png
u7meW.png

If someone has a specific image they want for an avatar feel free to ask. I figured you guys were good on Hanako avatars already :p

McNum

Trying to do Shizune's route after hanako. Barely out of act 1 and I'm already bored.
I have a fun little thing for you to notice, then. Count the number of choices you get to make after act 1 and to the end. I finished Shizune's arc yesterday, and I knew there was something bugging me about it, until I counted.

Shizune spoilers:
Honestly, this arc seemed a bit... unfocused, which is somewhat amusing considering the character. Yes, Misha and Shizune is a good pair. The deaf one and the loud one. But it's also that pair that makes this seem unfocused. Since Misha doesn't have her own arc and is pretty much always with Shizune, she steals a lot of the spotlight, especially before Hisao learns sign language, which I'll admit was a nice touch. But, perhaps, the thing that bugged me the most, is that there was only ONE single choice in the entirety of acts 2, 3, and 4. Which basically boils down to "Do you cheat on Shizune or not?" Gee, wonder which one leads to the good end. This arc does have the better Kenji so far, though.

Shizune, Emi and Lilly spoilers:
Also, heart condition? What heart condition? Lilly's arc had it looming like a shadow and ended with a second heart attack that Hisao barely survives, Emi's had it front and center with repeated nurse visits, and Hisao notcing that his heart can take more now that he's in better shape. Shizune? A thump and a red screen occasionally, but it never really enters the plot. And for a game about "a guy with a heart condition who is sent to a special school for people with disabilities", then hand waving (pun not intended) of his own condition is a pretty major omission.

Well, three arcs down, two to go. Hanako or Rin next? Well, I got a save at the Lilly/Hanako split point, so that might be easy to get.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I wasn't expecting to read Lilly spoilers in your Shizune spoilers. :mad:

Otherwise I agree. Shizune's route sucks because it's very unfocused, but more than that I think Hisao himself is very underplayed. At the end of it it doesn't feel like he has accomplished anything beyond a vague
"I should think about my future"
lesson, whereas every other route plays out Hisao's emotional development along that of the girl's.

McNum

I wasn't expecting to read Lilly spoilers in your Shizune spoilers. :mad:

Otherwise I agree. Shizune's route sucks because it's very unfocused, but more than that I think Hisao himself is very underplayed. At the end of it it doesn't feel like he has accomplished anything beyond a vague
"I should think about my future"
lesson, whereas every other route plays out Hisao's emotional development along that of the girl's.
Oops, sorry about that. I edited the warning a bit more.

Shizune and Emi spoiler:
Yeah, Hisao didn't really do much in this arc. I mean, in Emi's arc, he learns to apply his science skill to real life (if you pick right), which leads to that awesome moment where Emi gets mad and runs off, where you can either have a fight with her or... analyze the situation and realize that you could just ask her mom instead. In Shizune's arc he learns that... Misha is a lesbian with a crush on Shizune? Okay, I expected a tirangle, but not that angle... But you're right. It wasn't just Hisao's heart condition I was missing in the story. It was Hisao himself. It's the Shizune and Misha show, with Hisao just kind of being there. Misha pretty much took Hisao's spot in the story. And since she has no arc of her own, that's pretty much all that Misha gets to do.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I don't even think it's a Misha and Shizune show either.
They get into a fight and make up later, but they don't seem to act different towards each other after the event. There's a brief moment of realisation where Shizune concludes that she's always taken Misha for granted, but nothing about her behaviour towards her seems to indicate any meaningful change in her approach.
Shizune's arc sucks mainly because most of the character development happens without any sense of coherence. It's going through the motions and stating stuff without showing the implications of said stuff. Even the Bad End is guilty of that.
Shizune just decides to break up with Hisao because... I don't know she was feeling emo. Hisao cheating on her is a non-issue, and even Misha only mentions it trivially after it has occured.

tl;dr awful writing is awful

McNum

I don't even think it's a Misha and Shizune show either.
They get into a fight and make up later, but they don't seem to act different towards each other after the event. There's a brief moment of realisation where Shizune concludes that she's always taken Misha for granted, but nothing about her behaviour towards her seems to indicate any meaningful change in her approach.
Shizune's arc sucks mainly because most of the character development happens without any sense of coherence. It's going through the motions and stating stuff without showing the implications of said stuff. Even the Bad End is guilty of that.
Shizune just decides to break up with Hisao because... I don't know she was feeling emo. Hisao cheating on her is a non-issue, and even Misha only mentions it trivially after it has occured.

tl;dr bad writing is bad
I think, perhaps, that one of the major sins, so to speak, of this arc is how it
sets up some fairly interesting situations, and then... blowing it. Hisao learns sign language so he can talk with Shizune? That's so sweet, there's going to be a cute revelation scene, right? Nope. Visiting Shizune's family? Oh, we get to see where she got her competitive streak from, perhaps? Well, yes, but it adds nothing to the story. To be honest, I'm not sure what story the game is trying to tell here. There are plenty of good ones to tell with those characters, especially Hisao learning to sign. He picked that up way too fast, could have made that all of Act 2, really.

I think I agree with the tl;dr. Compared to what I've seen in the rest of the game, at least.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

I went through Hanako's and thought it was... Ok.

Then, as my last path choice of the VN, I went with Shizune. Oh man, I haven't laughed that much while reading since I read Good Omens. It also felt like a solid, "THE END" for KS, so I'm quite pleased to have read through it last.

I can't help but wish this VN was released before I started high school. It would of probably helped me out.

PS:
OPTIC BLAST!

I just finished Rin's route last night and I agree. I just didn't connect with it much. :-/. I rather liked Shizune's route. ^^;

XeroSauce

Rin can be really deep and really off the rocker. I sat on a bench for 10 minutes thinking about the sky today.

I'm really bothered that people are shaken off the game because of Shizune's horribad writing. Misha is hit and miss with some people, Shizune is pretty much miss.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Rin can be really deep and really off the rocker. I sat on a bench for 10 minutes thinking about the sky today.

I'm really bothered that people are shaken off the game because of Shizune's horribad writing. Misha is hit and miss with some people, Shizune is pretty much miss.

I dunno, I am the exact opposite. Loved Shizune's route, didn't connect with Rin's.

McNum

So, anyone else made a note to remember Katawa Shoujo for the next GAF GOTY thread? It's way early, I know, but I figured it'd be a shame to forget this game just because it's a January release and free no less.

Hm, maybe taking notes on what games I play this year isn't a bad plan at all. Would make it easier to remember what I liked about the good ones, and disliked about the bad ones.

Also, Hanako's arc is pretty much as I expected it to be.
The classic overly shy grl story, except perhapss with a hint of PTSD, which I sort of expected, too. An interesting thing, perhaps, is that just like Hisao, I did get to think of her less as the girl with the scar, and more as just Hanako.
Guess that means the writing was well done.

Only one left now is Rin. How to get to her path, I wonder...

Jintor

Public reaction to this has been actually relatively good! A lot of people willing to give it a chance even before reading through it properly. I think AA, Ghost Trick and probably 999 in particular are responsible.

Oh, I remember the fourth dude I wanted to talk to - Chris Avellone. I wonder if that would be hella difficult. I should actually play more of Christine Love's stuff though before I ask, and I have to wait until my local PR contact for Capcom is resolved...

*brofist*
Also somewhat related considering they're both written by multiple authors

Hell yeah! Hilarious book! And I'm not much one for religion either, haha!

I just finished Rin's route last night and I agree. I just didn't connect with it much. :-/. I rather liked Shizune's route. ^^;

At least I really love Rin's theme :lol. I enjoyed Shizune's path too, albeit long! Jigoro made me laugh SO HARD.

YES, we continue to grow like legion. Soon all will know who is the best girl in this game.
Now that I'm looking at every ones avy, I feel like making a list of what team every one is in, probably making the names of the teams a videogame reference.

So, anyone else made a note to remember Katawa Shoujo for the next GAF GOTY thread? It's way early, I know, but I figured it'd be a shame to forget this game just because it's a January release and free no less.

Hm, maybe taking notes on what games I play this year isn't a bad plan at all. Would make it easier to remember what I liked about the good ones, and disliked about the bad ones.

Also, Hanako's arc is pretty much as I expected it to be.
The classic overly shy grl story, except perhapss with a hint of PTSD, which I sort of expected, too. An interesting thing, perhaps, is that just like Hisao, I did get to think of her less as the girl with the scar, and more as just Hanako.
Guess that means the writing was well done.

Only one left now is Rin. How to get to her path, I wonder...

You left out the most important(imo) part of Hanako's character:
she's not just your typical super shy moeblob. She's got balls and wouldn't swallow that white knight crap that Hisao(and perhaps the player) intended to shovel down her throat.

spyhunterzero said:
Now that I'm looking at every ones avy, I feel like making a list of what team every one is in, probably making the names of the teams a videogame reference.
I don't know about video game references, but you guys can be Team Chocolate.

McNum

You left out the most important(imo) part of Hanako's character:
she's not just your typical super shy moeblob. She's got balls and wouldn't swallow that white knight crap that Hisao(and perhaps the player) intended to shovel down her throat.
Aren't you thinking of
Emi there? She's the one not wanting the white knight thing. Hanako, as far as I could tell, wasn't a shy moeblob, though. She just acted like one because she thought that was how she'd keep Lilly's and Hisao's attention, so they didn't turn on her like her old friends had. The path of less resistance, as it was.
Or did you take a different route through the story than I did, perhaps?

Venfayth

Aren't you thinking of
Emi there? She's the one not wanting the white knight thing. Hanako, as far as I could tell, wasn't a shy moeblob, though. She just acted like one because she thought that was how she'd keep Lilly's and Hisao's attention, so they didn't turn on her like her old friends had. The path of less resistance, as it was.

Emi definitely had a little bit of that in her route, but Hanako had a lot too, if I remember correctly. I think Emi's sprung more out of her inability to let people get close to her, rather than a disdain for those who saw her as someone who needed saving.

Haven't played yet, but planning to in the near future. I remember hearing rumors that Hanako's route contained
scat
. Is that still the case? A yes/no would be great, don't want to spoil things otherwise.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Hanako would match the best with my tag, but I don't actually like her route all that much, so nyeh.

Brofist.

You and I seem to have mirror opinions on the routes in this game.

While I'm not much of an anime guy (Not a big fan of 90% of the popular stuff for the most part.) I hang out with a few people in the "otaku" crowd at college. One of the dudes was surprised to learn I had played this (Again, not really that kind of guy). He was talking about how much he loved Hanako's route.

Then I showed him the bacon video.

:D

Jintor

Brofist.

You and I seem to have mirror opinions on the routes in this game.

While I'm not much of an anime guy (Not a big fan of 90% of the popular stuff for the most part.) I hang out with a few people in the "otaku" crowd at college. One of the dudes was surprised to learn I had played this (Again, not really that kind of guy). He was talking about how much he loved Hanako's route.

Then I showed him the bacon video.

:D

All the people I know IRL who have played it are game journos or industry-related. So that's kind of cool! Then again Uni hasn't started yet, so no animeclub dudes to hang around.

I am taking JPS101 this year though so we'll see

Aren't you thinking of

It's more clear in the bad end, but it comes through in her good end too. She had sex with Hisao because she wanted him to realize that she wasn't just a scared little girl who needed protecting.

The reason Akira and Hanako get along so well is that Akira doesn't baby her.

This, of course, is just my interpretation.

Top Bottom