• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Katawa Shoujo |OT| (VN, Free, Waifus, etc)

Yay~!

Shizune route, get!

I liked it. Easily the most 'complex' character(s) imo. There really wasn't any highs or lows, but it paced well enough and it kinda makes me wanna try out Kenji's route ;)

The 2nd sex scene seemed a bit out of place though.
But hey, who can hate black bra/panties combo >:3

Now to play Rin route and be done.... T______________T.

Boney

Banned
Finished Lilly's route a while ago, even had a speech for what I felt, but with no interwebs it kinda died on me.

I certainly enjoyed it a lot, but it was definately weaker than Hanako's. The only character that felt that had any sort of drive was Hisao, so that was definately pretty underwhelming. I felt most of the arc just went off for too long without adding much, and just saved the conflict for the end. Lilly's plea is interesting, but it's not taken very far, Iwanako's impact was a lot smaller, and instead focused an insane amount of time about his heart condition, which works to carry the point across of how Lilly views Hisao but it was pretty much overkill. I honestly thought Lilly was more interesting through Hanako's route than almost throughout the entirety of her story. I did like everything from their date forward.

I just think think they could've done a lot stronger with Past, Present and Future theme. But I liked it, was cheeky and sweet, and Lilly had well done dialogue.

Kaper

I downloaded this today out of boredom and curiosity. I've been sitting at my keyboard for the last 3 hours doing pretty much nothing, and I've only completed the Hanako good end. It made me feel things I haven't feeled in a long time. I have a love/hate relationship with stories like KS. I love to feel, but I hate to feel, especially after I finish a route.

From reading some of this thread it's looking like I'll do Lilly --> Emi --> Rin. I don't really care about Shizune/Misha. Hanako <3

I downloaded this today out of boredom and curiosity. I've been sitting at my keyboard for the last 3 hours doing pretty much nothing, and I've only completed the Hanako good end. It made me feel things I haven't feeled in a long time. I have a love/hate relationship with stories like KS. I love to feel, but I hate to feel, especially after I finish a route.

From reading some of this thread it's looking like I'll do Lilly --> Emi --> Rin. I don't really care about Shizune/Misha. Hanako <3

I believe her route is the most unique even though it's a bit rough. Worth a playthrough like all the routes ;)

Boney

Banned

Be sure to get the other to endings for Hanako. They're really good, especially the neutral one.

Went back and got Lilly's bad ending. Pretty much exactly where I thought it was gonna end when I was playing the first time, but I guess you can't have a "good ending" be like that. I do think it's a better ending. I guess they could've included another ending where
Hisao dies at the airport
. It would've been pointless cause it wouldn't have shed any more light to the characters, but it would've been an interesting sight to see.

Guess I'll decide in the next few days who I start with next. But I guess I'll give Shizune a try, I owe it to myself and the devs to try it out.

Kaper

I believe her route is the most unique even though it's a bit rough. Worth a playthrough like all the routes ;)

I wasn't really digging the interactions between the two girls and Hisao, but I may give it a shot on a lazy Sunday down the road, maybe they'll grow on me. Shizune is cute, though.

Be sure to get the other to endings for Hanako. They're really good, especially the neutral one.

Yeah, the first thing I do when I wake up is load up a couple saves from critical points in her arc so I can see the other endings. My life won't be complete until I have experienced every bit of Hanako the world has to offer me.

I wasn't really digging the interactions between the two girls and Hisao, but I may give it a shot on a lazy Sunday down the road, maybe they'll grow on me. Shizune is cute, though.

Yeah, the first thing I do when I wake up is load up a couple saves from critical points in her arc so I can see the other endings. My life won't be complete until I have experienced every bit of Hanako the world has to offer me.
Is it that time again?

Good to see alot more Hanako love up in here. For those that have not done Rin's, I suggest you save her for last. To me, her story seems like the best way to end the game, which is with a bang.

Veal

I finished Shizune's path and I really enjoyed it! I don't get all of the complaints about it being the worst written path though. It doesn't seem any better or worse than any of the others. Her
father
was particularly hilarious to me however.
He was so over the top with his doucheyness that I couldn't help but laugh at it!

Currently starting Hanako's path. Can already see why most of this thread is taken by her :D

Kaper

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn. Hanako is now 100% complete in my game, having just finished the bad and neutral end. Neutral ending is hardly what I'd call it.
Armed with the knowledge of her true feelings from finishing the good and bad endings it should have been called "Soul crushing ending." Fuck, man. She just keeps her feelings bottled up inside and keeps letting Lilly and Hisao "protect" her. Fuck.

XeroSauce

I finished Shizune's path and I really enjoyed it! I don't get all of the complaints about it being the worst written path though. It doesn't seem any better or worse than any of the others. Her
father
was particularly hilarious to me however.
He was so over the top with his doucheyness that I couldn't help but laugh at it!

Currently starting Hanako's path. Can already see why most of this thread is taken by her :D

To be honest I felt that they tried a little too hard with her father.

To be honest I felt that they tried a little too hard with her father.

Luckily they downplay his 'influence' on Shizune somewhat.

I'm probably in the minority, but Hanako route was pretty uninteresting. Might just be that I know no girls irl that are like her.

Currently act 2 of Rin (love her animated video!). I'm pretty sure the writer is trying to implant some of his/her agenda in my head T_T.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Man, this thread is slowly dieing. I thought it wouldn't when we had a discussion about it, but now, I don't know what to think. I'm scared.

We came, we saw, we had feels.

Time to move on bro.

Until the inevitable LTTP

Javier

Does anyone know if the sign language Hisao makes during the Shizune movie (when he does this kind of jutsu thing and Misha just laughs it off) make any sort of sense?

Jintor

Hopefully it's in Japanese sign language if it does

This soundtrack is amazing.

Man, you just know when GOTY discussions come around we'll be having the fucking infinite loop VISUAL NOVELS R NOT GAMEZ argument over and over again

Hopefully it's in Japanese sign language if it does

This soundtrack is amazing.

Man, you just know when GOTY discussions come around we'll be having the fucking infinite loop VISUAL NOVELS R NOT GAMEZ argument over and over again

I don't think anyone's going to argue about that, people will be too busy rushing to hit the 'vote for Bioshock Infinite' button ;)

TCKaos

Don't say that. The spirit of this thread will live on in our avatars.
Until we inevitably change them for avatars from other hot new video games.
I'm probably going to start Lilly's route next week so that'll be something to discuss anyway seeing how everyone says it's so good.

And on a really tangential note, I was watching the /v/GAs a few hours ago and it was pretty great to hear them using Katawa Shoujo music for some parts. Dat feeling when they used Innocence ;_;
No doubt Katawa Shoujo will be nominated for a few categories next year.

After the credits and Fattest Game Dev award there was an Evangelion styled next episode preview. Instead of promising plenty of fan service like she always does, Misato promised that there'd be plenty of cripples.

XeroSauce

Okay, my children. Please listen to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dPS-EHl-FE

This is The Heart Asks Pleasure First|The Promise, by Micheal Nyman, from the movie 'The Piano'.

After that, please listen to this:

Romance in Andante

And this:

Moment of Decision

What I wanted to observe is this. The composers of this game, Blue123 and NicolArmarfi are brilliant.

What they did with their pieces was not only beautiful, but symbolic of the characters growing up. If you compare something like Moment of Decision to any other somber piano piece, you can probably tell that MoD sounds a bit more immature, some would maybe go as far as calling it adolescent compared to bigger pieces.

But that is exactly what this soundtrack was aiming to do. Not only does listening to ANY of the songs trigger memories for the players, but it also invokes a sense of growth and change. This songs are meant to be "younger" then some older pieces by professionals, through design through the use of over-exaggeration and heavy crescendos.

My thoughts, anyways.

It's time for me to try emi/rin so i've took some time to do their routes ...

Spoiler on Emi route :
Kenji : You're running around on the rooftop with the limbless wonders !!
They're women , man ! you'll get yourself killed running around like that !!
I'm glad we had this chat .
Now lend me 500 yens !

and i'm on the ground, laughing ...

Raiho

Neo Member
Hey, guys! First post on GAF. Please be gentle.

I finished Shizune's route a couple of days ago an just wanted to share some thoughts. I was hesitant to start with her since I heard so many negative things about her story. Went with her anyway because she became my favorite girl in Act 1. I agree that there are some slow parts in her story, but I thought it was still good for the most part. Hisao annoyed me at times with his approach to the relationship with Shizune.
It felt like Shizune was more into the relationship than Hisao was. She initiates almost every romantic part of the relationship (dates, kisses, sex) while Hisao lacks courage/understanding to do anything. For example, the one time they are alone on the roof. It seems like Shizune is practically begging for some kind of affection/comfort and Hisao just closes his eyes for 10 minutes while Shizune walks around the roof. It's cool that she kinda calls him out about it, but it doesn't lead to anything.
It's little things like that when I wish this path had more choices to make it more romantic.

Here are some of the things I would change if 4 Leaf ever did a Super/Black/2.0 version of the game (Shizune/Misha path spoilers only):

- Cut some filler. Act 2 and Act 3 should be condensed into one act with Act 4 becoming the new Act 3. This would make the current good ending the neutral friendship ending. If the player wishes to pursue the romance with Shizune, a brand new Act 4 opens up. The new act would be about Shizune's new understanding of how she took her friendships and family for granted. She and Hisao work together to open new lines of communication between her, her family, Lilly, and Hanako.

- No lesbian Misha. I feel it would connect better with players if Misha was simply feeling like she was being replaced by Hisao as he learned to sign. Misha knows she needs Shizune as much and Shizune needs her and doesn't want to lose her friend to Hisao.

- One more Shizune/Hanako scene. We saw Shizune go from "the friend of my enemy is my enemy" to being more accepting of Hanako over a game of chess. One more scene showing them becoming actual friends would be cool.

That's about it for now. I hope I'm not too late for any discussion.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Every time I hear those first three chords..."I've fucked up real bad haven't I?"

Oh my god Kenji is amazing.
This man knows.

Kenji-vs-feminists.jpg

My thoughts, anyways.
By the way, this is a great analysis. Thanks for the youtube links; saved.

Top Bottom